• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Early retirement in JB

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, maybe u are right that having fulfilling purposes may be the key to a satisfying retirement :smile: Thanks for the heads up . Gave me something to mull over...

as for the travelling part, it can be very tiring for older folks and also costs lots of $$ ...

You're welcome. Yes, must find a purpose then retirement will be fulfilling.

I don't know what's up with Singaporeans. Most that I spoke to ask me why should they retire early? After retirement, it's talking strolls in the parks, drinking coffee in the coffeeshop or playing chess with other old folks. So boring....

Must retirement be so limited??!

This is what I meant they have no purpose or fulfilment in life. If one restricts retirement to doing these mundane stuffs, then after a while, of course life becomes meaningless. Surely there are many other things to enjoy and do in life!

Some Singaporeans simply have no hobbies and live life based on what the government tells them. Gahmen says: "Work till past retirement", and the herd will follow. That's bad unless like I said, your sense of purpose is in your work. Then congrats. But I doubt many find that sort of fulfilment. To most, they work just so that they can earn $.

If you look at the ang mohs and say Japanese, they are so active. Their zeal for life is commendable compared to Singaporeans. They climb mountains even at 70, go scuba diving, do missionary work, travel to see the world, study a new subject, become educators for the underprivileged children, etc etc. "Old" is never in their vocabulary. Over here, at 40, we already tend to say, "I'm getting old". Wah lao!!!

Last edited:

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chase money all you want, just don't do it all the way to the grave.

Life.jpg

westman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Retirement for me is about our mind and desire...

For me.. I am already in retirement mode even though 1 still have a good 15 years to work..

Am working as managerial role even though i could have go higher up. I stay low profile as I just wanted to have a simple life toward the end of my life. I THOUGHT greed and desire are the cause of suffering...be happy with what you are...

Right.now.. enjoying life with lower pay but less stressful job.. fun. What more can I ask for..

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
If only Freedom and like minded people who have noble thoughts of helping people without due considerations of monetary rewards run the government, even before retiring, the world will be a better place. People who make decisions need not be super smart. They just need to have smart officials formulating and proposing policies, and ultimately make the right decisions.

westman

Alfrescian
Loyal
If only Freedom and like minded people who have noble thoughts of helping people without due considerations of monetary rewards run the government, even before retiring, the world will be a better place. People who make decisions need not be super smart. They just need to have smart officials formulating and proposing policies, and ultimately make the right decisions.

Strongly agree with your view....
As a matter of fact.. the overwhelming pouring of respect for the late LKY was perhaps reflecting how much sinkines is hoping from the current bunch of monkies from pappies.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thx for the compliment but I dun think I can take the stress of being in politics but I would like to think I contribute in my own small way by giving feedback to my ex classmate Sim Ann who is in the government, like on the degree mills issue and on cpf issues...She is an MP in Bikit Timah GRC and a ministor of State now in MOE and Min of Communications..

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Small world.
Hope that the news gets to the right people and that the people up there will not be so enamoured of their position that they do not shrink from doing the right thing

DCputeri

Alfrescian
Loyal
I had 3 colleagues: One Senior Minister of state, one Mayor and one Senior Parlimentary Secretary. They all have one common attribute: Prepare to sacrifice family time.
Thx for the compliment but I dun think I can take the stress of being in politics but I would like to think I contribute in my own small way by giving feedback to my ex classmate Sim Ann who is in the government, like on the degree mills issue and on cpf issues...She is an MP in Bikit Timah GRC and a ministor of State now in MOE and Min of Communications..

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal

yr ex classmate is on spotlight now..:p bo eng
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/mobile/singapore/500-dbss-flat-buyers-up/1846220.html

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
I haven't heard of anything like that in my 10 years of stay in Malaysia. Never. These things ( shit overflowing ) only happens in Singapore. Its like the shitty FT policy by PAP. It has overflowed and spilled onto the floor and the poor Singaporeans are made to walk on it.

Walau....I always tot these things only happen in Malaysia.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agreed.
This is the lax supervision and regulation that is resulting in such things breaking down.
Similar to SMRT situation

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is it better to retire/settle down at johor or batam?

Johor is so much nearer and easier to transport to and fro compared to Batam

But I got some business associates who travel to Batam on weekends to spend time with their mistresses. Seem that they are enjoying life over there too

MrErnie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Johor is so much nearer and easier to transport to and fro compared to Batam

But I got some business associates who travel to Batam on weekends to spend time with their mistresses. Seem that they are enjoying life over there too

Oh ok. Between johor, batam, bintan, bali n other nearby places, which has the least chinese?