• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Early retirement in JB

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,

Just wondering how many of u here are already retired or semiretired in JB with passive income from properties and other sources.

I am looking forward to doing so in a few years time if my property transaction goes smoothly. Bought an Austin Height resale semi d and seller now a bit confused, thought consent was rejected when only a bumi release letter is needed. Hope the deal goes through as hubby unlikely to buy another one if it falls through.

I think semiretiring in JB while working in Sg is a great idea.

Please share if you have.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Why settle for JB? I retired in NZ with passive income from investments. NZ is a far nicer country.

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,

Just wondering how many of u here are already retired or semiretired in JB with passive income from properties and other sources.

I am looking forward to doing so in a few years time if my property transaction goes smoothly. Bought an Austin Height resale semi d and seller now a bit confused, thought consent was rejected when only a bumi release letter is needed. Hope the deal goes through as hubby unlikely to buy another one if it falls through.

I think semiretiring in JB while working in Sg is a great idea.

Please share if you have.

Yes, lease out your HDB flat, condo or house in SG. Live like a king in MY. No brainer.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why settle for JB? I retired in NZ with passive income from investments. NZ is a far nicer country.

JB as it is close to Sg in case need to work as rental income is not guaranteed and children still young, may chose to send them to Sg for school still. Though also considering international school in JB but hubby not keen for that.

How long have u been in New Zealand? Care to share more on how u made it?

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
JB as it is close to Sg in case need to work as rental income is not guaranteed and children still young, may chose to send them to Sg for school still. Though also considering international school in JB but hubby not keen for that.

How long have u been in New Zealand? Care to share more on how u made it?

From the little I know, NZ is a fantastic destination.

Temperate climate with the absence of harsh winters and searing summers.
No capital gains taxes.
Non tax paying investors can buy resale properties.

cheerguan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Easy to live in JB mah ...not PR also can stay there. NZ ...needs PR and lots of cash to get it.

Very true. Very easy for me to retire in JB in near future.

Pace of life quite relax, suitable for retirees.
Plenty of familiar local food like curry laksa, wanton mee, chicken rice... available cheaply everywhere in and around town which I cannot live without after few days.
And also, so easy when need to drive over to run some errands or to regularly visit elderly parents in Sg. No need for $ wasting and time consuming flights.
Lastly, mostly similar local people and cultures around you like in old Sg. No racism.

Last time got no luxury g&g living in JB, poor healthcare facilities, govts not on good terms, Sg everything really very affordable...etc, that's why not an option for many then. Now is a very attractive retirement place for Sinkies to consider but many of their mindset still very kia su, kia see or is it they prefer more atas countries?

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
yup, jb has better products now compare to 10 years ago.

but i don't think it's that great living there. it's just cheaper, that's all.

Last edited:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
yup, jb has better products now compare to 10 years ago.

however,cant be all good, right?

the 'luxury g&g' isn't luxury for most of the scheme, and it's a response to high crime rate. isn't it nice to live in a landed taman that has less crime instead (ie singapore), no need g&g.

no racism? try getting something done at the govt dept or public hospital.

with the min 1M foreigner limit, no longer cheap.

there are a lot of downsides to living in jb.

Good to have G&G, even in Singapore. Burglary cases in landed areas of Singapore is climbing. But I do find Johor getting slightly more expensive than 1 year+ ago. $1 mil RM is still quite cheap to someone earning in SGD buying a freehold landed :biggrin: The major deterrent is the traffic jam at the 1st and 2nd links. With many still working or having children schooling in Singapore, it is quite tough to shift over. If this is resolved, we will see prices climbing easily to over $2 mil RM.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
If u disagree, pls dun flame me :p

Back to e topic, many people r using JB to lower their cost of living. It doesn't start in their retirement years, but it starts on e weekends.

Cost of living will be e main driver.

OzRick

Alfrescian
Loyal

I am a Singapore born Australian who is going to retire in Johor under Malaysia’s MM2H program.

The main reasons for choosing Johor, Malaysia is the cost of living is so much cheaper compared to Australia and its proximity to Singapore. I agreed that NZ and Australia are nicer country, but rising cost is a major issue and in the near future will see more exoduses of retirees to Asian countries.

After 26 years in Australia living in landed ‘bungalows’ with temperate climate, I am looking for a change to live in a high rise condo where facilities like gym , pool etc. are taken care of by others.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am a Singapore born Australian who is going to retire in Johor under Malaysia’s MM2H program.

The main reasons for choosing Johor, Malaysia is the cost of living is so much cheaper compared to Australia and its proximity to Singapore. I agreed that NZ and Australia are nicer country, but rising cost is a major issue and in the near future will see more exoduses of retirees to Asian countries.

After 26 years in Australia living in landed ‘bungalows’ with temperate climate, I am looking for a change to live in a high rise condo where facilities like gym , pool etc. are taken care of by others.

Hi, care to share at what age u plan to retire in Johor and how is it made possible eg. From passive rental or dividend income?

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am 39 years old this year and hope to retire or semiretire by 45 years old in JB if possible. Hope to do so with passive income from renting out my Sg terrace and MM which is about to TOP 2016 or earlier. Hope to pay off my terrace mortgage by that time and save enough for MM2H. Then hopefully can have S$5000 to retire in JB.