• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Early retirement in JB

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Other than the GRC and elected presidency, we have pretty much inherited the Westminster system, which is good enough for me. I would very much prefer Westminster to the US system. GRC is a double edged sword as GE 2011 has shown. You can use your vote to change the outcome, but we should respect the outcome, as part of a mature democracy.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/16/net-us-britain-twitter-defamation-idUSBRE94F0L120130516

Actually under GRC system, it has happened before that single seat constituency was merged to GRC, so it is not a given that everyone can use his/her vote to change the outcome. For example Braddell heights constituency in 1991 election result was 52% vs 48%. PAP won with a small margin. In the next 1997 election, this constituency ceased to exist and was merged to Marine parade GRC. No more chance to vote until 2011 election.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes besides voting, online comments definitely helped. PAP has been falling behind because "the spurs are not stuck into the hide," .

Don't forget the clever netizen who found out the friend connection in the Brompton bike purchase case. Did Khaw boon wan investigate and find out about this link before this netizen?

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes besides voting, online comments definitely helped. PAP has been falling behind because "the spurs are not stuck into the hide," .

Don't forget the clever netizen who found out the friend connection in the Brompton bike purchase case. Did Khaw boon wan investigate and find out about this link before this netizen?

Find out who are the Sengkang columbarium's shareholders too :wink:

EDTBA

Alfrescian
Loyal
For those who are tired of the regular places / attractions in or around JB, here's a few charming places nearby that is worth visiting:

Pontian Kechil: nice un-crowded place to go for shopping. Early breakfast at Mamak Alif is a treat for the senses. There's also a wholesale fish market nearby that is worth a visit.

Kukup: For those who like their seafood served, check out this place for reasonable priced seafood fares. To help digest your seafood meal, walk around the neighborhood. The surrounding houses built on stilts over the shore-line is most interesting.

Tanjung Piai: This is a national park and is the most southern point of mainland Asia. Boardwalk trails are available for you to explore the wetlands, mangrove swamp, flora and fauna. 5 ringgit per entry ... worth every sen.

Gunung Pulai: A 5km hike bring you to the top of this 700m mountain and gawk at the awesome scenery. On the way, stop by the water falls or just enjoy the wildlife during the walk. The road is also suitable for mountain bikers.

D

Deleted member 80916

Gunung Pulai: A 5km hike bring you to the top of this 700m mountain and gawk at the awesome scenery. On the way, stop by the water falls or just enjoy the wildlife during the walk. The road is also suitable for mountain bikers."

..hi EDTBA,..would you advise the route ? which part to enter the site ? Thanks

Vohkster

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Gunung Pulai: A 5km hike bring you to the top of this 700m mountain and gawk at the awesome scenery. On the way, stop by the water falls or just enjoy the wildlife during the walk. The road is also suitable for mountain bikers."

Basically if you want a straight forward route, the only one way up & down. 3 hrs max both ways. don't let peope cheat u say they are backed up by foreigner developer (like R& I-dunno) but in the end no development...

dumb1

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think Roy has courage and intelligence to know so much details of CPF. Not everyone is capable of doing that. However, everyone of us should be able to contribute in our little own ways.

Firstly confine your comments to living in JB. Forget about Roy. He may have courage but I gave up reading what he wrote half way.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Firstly confine your comments to living in JB. Forget about Roy. He may have courage but I gave up reading what he wrote half way.

First I didn't steer but merely replied to others' comments. You may not agree but apparently others did see the connection between Spore govt policies and everyday living for them to comment.

And why forget about Roy? You read what he wrote halfway but he has raised enough awareness of CPF to the public to prompt govt response. We should thank him for his real sacrifice.

eric3417

Alfrescian
Loyal
First I didn't steer but merely replied to others' comments. You may not agree but apparently others did see the connection between Spore govt policies and everyday living for them to comment.

And why forget about Roy? You read what he wrote halfway but he has raised enough awareness of CPF to the public to prompt govt response. We should thank him for his real sacrifice.

Yes. In many ways the current debate/reform is a result of Roy's saga.
GE 2011 also played its part. All in all, transformation is underway.
Hope it's all for the better. A more inclusive caring society.
Regardless of race/religion/academic/social standing.

:wink:

summervale

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gin, all the discussions were valid as it lead us to decide to retire in JB. These discussions were probably be more intense before and after the next election.

EDTBA

Alfrescian
Loyal

The entrance to the park is at Kampung Sri Gunung Pulai. Search for "Jalan TMN GN Pulai" (off Jalan Sawah) in Google Maps. Or you can look up this map coordinate which is about where you can park your car and start the walk: 1°35'26.0"N 103°30'58.3"E

Last edited:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gin, all the discussions were valid as it lead us to decide to retire in JB. These discussions were probably be more intense before and after the next election.

Yes I think so too that living should not be just about food, exercise and other pleasantries of life.

Anyway if people think otherwise can always ignore. Didn't people do just that for other threads here with out of topic or even outright hostile exchanges where they can?

But only this topic saw people talking about steering back. Does make one wonder is it due to out of topic or is it the topic or even the person ?

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. In many ways the current debate/reform is a result of Roy's saga.
GE 2011 also played its part. All in all, transformation is underway.
Hope it's all for the better. A more inclusive caring society.
Regardless of race/religion/academic/social standing.

:wink:

Yes Roy has made really big contribution. The GE2011 and everyone played a part. Sadly it is not enough to stop Lee Hsien Loong from calling Sporean disgraceful in his comment regarding the proposed Philippines idependent day public celebration. In contrast, did he call that nurse Ello disgraceful until now? So there is no real transformation yet.

bakkuttay

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes Roy has made really big contribution. The GE2011 and everyone played a part. Sadly it is not enough to stop Lee Hsien Loong from calling Sporean disgraceful in his comment regarding the proposed Philippines idependent day public celebration. In contrast, did he call that nurse Ello disgraceful until now? So there is no real transformation yet.
better retire to jb and rather be a 2nd or 3rd class citizens,

in singapore you get a PM that runs down its own citizens.

2 of my neighbours gone over already .

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
better retire to jb and rather be a 2nd or 3rd class citizens,

in singapore you get a PM that runs down its own citizens.

2 of my neighbours gone over already .

LOL! Someone once commented in a condescending way that my family moving over to JB was a downgrade from Singapore. I don't know about you but I don't see how moving from a leasehold 3 bedroomn HDB to a freehold 3 storey terrace house is a downgrade, esp when the JB house was bought at the same price in Singapore dollars as the HDB but is 3x bigger than the HDB! Not forgetting too that I get to rent out the HDB and derive some decent income from there. But most of all, we are happier living in JB! Cheap food, cheap movies, even cheaper bootleg DVDs which there is no need to cross over customs in Singapore. :biggrin:

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
I also heard of sporeans who has never stepped into jb for 20 years talking down on jb houses. They should drop by PH one day and i think they might faint upon hearing that the price Is just a 3 room flat in spore. So is it downgrade?