• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Early retirement in JB

gooddebt

Alfrescian
Loyal
Given nearly the same location, landed is far superior to condo in Malaysia. This is the local culture and has been verified in numerous forum surveys and market reports I have seen over the last 2-3 years.

The problem is that in superior locations , the land is very expensive and developers will build only condos.

kulgai

Alfrescian
Loyal
We had recently put our Sg terrace up for sale to test the market but also seriously toying with the idea of early retirement in JB. Just had a viewing by a couple in their late 50s to 60s just now and they seem to like my place and are considering now. Now thinking if I should have asked for higher than 2 million which was my valuation 6 months ago and what to do if they really want to buy as I am still awaiting my state consent!

IMHO, you should rent out your terrace instead for following reasons:
1. landed property (in fact all properties lah) will appreciate over time
2. rental income from your property acts as a hedge against inflation. rental goes up in line with inflation
3. due to land scarcity in sg, properties here will always do better than MY in the long run
You should rent in MY instead as there are many cheap rentals available (spoilt for choice)
Assuming yr landed rental income is $4,000 a month. That works out to be about RM10,000. In turn, you pay just RM2,000 for a MY property. The balance RM8,000 should get you by.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Landed may not be worth a lot more than apartments in a place flush with land. A good example is Australia. Another one is KL and Penang.

landed is worth more than high rise in both KL and Penang. (australia, dunno).

Last edited:

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
IMHO, you should rent out your terrace instead for following reasons:
1. landed property (in fact all properties lah) will appreciate over time
2. rental income from your property acts as a hedge against inflation. rental goes up in line with inflation
3. due to land scarcity in sg, properties here will always do better than MY in the long run
You should rent in MY instead as there are many cheap rentals available (spoilt for choice)
Assuming yr landed rental income is $4,000 a month. That works out to be about RM10,000. In turn, you pay just RM2,000 for a MY property. The balance RM8,000 should get you by.

Called my lawyer's office today and was told that someone at the Land office says verbally that we should be able to get our state consent! Very happy to hear that but to be sure, better wait for formal signing which should be by next week...

My MM in Sg also approaching TOP soon.

My terrace which we put up for sale to test market received 3 offers of 1.8 mil each which fall short of our asking of 2 mil so prob will not sell for now....

Hubby and I both starting in new jobs soon too. Hope to pay off our mortgage as much as possible and now waiting eagerly for news of RTS...

Twinnigal

Alfrescian
Loyal
How feasible is it to depend totally on rental income from 2 Johor properties, assuming 1 condo and 1 landed, without getting any salary every month? I guess my question is whether it is relatively easy to rent out our properties in Johor and whether we can easily achieve near 100 percent occupancy rate for resi properties?

What are your experiences so far? Do share!

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
How feasible is it to depend totally on rental income from 2 Johor properties, assuming 1 condo and 1 landed, without getting any salary every month? I guess my question is whether it is relatively easy to rent out our properties in Johor and whether we can easily achieve near 100 percent occupancy rate for resi properties?

You might get negative cash flow for recently purchased properties, if you ever get to rent out.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal

The semi d I bought in Austin Heights has been rented out to a Korean family for about RM4500 or so....agent says should be able to rent out for RM5000 now. Says tenants often work in Pasir Gudang....though she seems confident of getting a tenant , I am not after hearing many say that it is difficult to rent out properties in JB.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
The semi d I bought in Austin Heights has been rented out to a Korean family for about RM4500 or so....agent says should be able to rent out for RM5000 now. Says tenants often work in Pasir Gudang....though she seems confident of getting a tenant , I am not after hearing many say that it is difficult to rent out properties in JB.

it uis diffifcult to rent out in m'sia for long term. the "hot rental spots" move around. as your property ages, rental drops too. singapore rental market is still the most sustainable.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
it uis diffifcult to rent out in m'sia for long term. the "hot rental spots" move around. as your property ages, rental drops too. singapore rental market is still the most sustainable.

Yeah, especially with the upcoming 6.9mil which should ensure a healthy rental market to sustain my retirement in a less crowded place...I wonder how many r buying overseas due to overpopulation push factor...

kulgai

Alfrescian
Loyal

Personally I prefer to invest in Sg property as it is relatively easy to rent out compared to JB. If you dun mind to stay in JB, you will be spoilt for choices if you intend to rent.

Last edited:

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Personally I prefer to invest in Sg property as it is relatively easy to rent out compared to JB. If you dun mind to stay in JB, you will be spoilt for choices if you intend to rent.

ABSD is the big spoiler for me. with the TDSR framework, up front capital is high too.

KOHJE

Alfrescian
Loyal

I have try to rent out my mix development condo at West for past 9 months without any offer. Very close to MRT and below my condo are shops like NTUC , Old Town White Coffee , Toast Box , POSB , Guardian , Watson , etc.....