• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Early retirement in JB

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I personally don't think the present government will lose a lot of votes in the next GE. Maybe 1 or 2 more constituency might be lost that's all. Maybe instead of winning 61% votes, they might win only 55-60% but they will still win the majority. There are actually a lot of PAP supporters around. Just that they don't frequent or comment in the online forums with anti-government sentiments expressed so we don't feel their presence so much.

Besides, read this:

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/si...potential-new-candidates-the-ground-ahead-nex

They are already beefing up their army of future white shirt politicians. I find the opposition will have a very tough time.

There are many voters who are afraid of change. I have heard countless times Singaporeans who don't like the government but because they work in the civil service, they are scared they can be traced during election so they will still choose to vote for PAP. We are losing a lot of votes from these people who don't dare to vote for the opposition.

And seriously, which opposition is fit to handle the big stuffs in Singapore? Name one opposition member who can be our new PM, Finance Minister, Health Minister, etc. There is none.

At best what we can do is to "suck thumb" and bow down to the government as we have been doing for decades. Or just migrate. There's really nothing much that we can do. The rich will love this place.

Just ordered iced Milo from a neighbourhood coffeeshop today and was surprised when I had to pay $1.60. It wasn't too long that it cost only $1.40, and then $1.50... and now $1.60?!

I find this country has changed so much over a short period of time that I don't recognise it any more. I don't even feel the sense of pride of being a citizen. It's more like a big business hub or company. Just work here for the money but it's not for retirement unless you are rich to begin with, which I am sure quite a few are here. But even they are choosing to move out!

Read this also:

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/si...rning-away-diners-due-growing-labour-crunch-2

It's ridiculous how things are progressing. First the government admitted many foreigners and give them PR or Citizenship to attract businesses. Locals were side-stepped and underpaid. It was a boom for businesses. Property prices here shot up. Cost of living also shot up. They claim improving the economy is extremely important. But I think the big mistake was they overdid it. They tried to fatten the goose too quickly to try to produce more and more golden eggs.

Now the bad consequences are showing up. From businesses that prosper to now businesses had to turn away customers cos they cannot afford or cannot hire enough foreign workers in their restaurants! From expensive properties to now oversupply of properties and prices are dropping. I think the authorities should reflect on their greed and lack of foresight. Trying to speed things up for monetary gains can have the knives falling down on them at the end.

Yes the govt has shown very poor policy planning and implementation indeed. No worries about no minister, judging from the last decade of ministerial performance, anyone can do a better job than the current and previous batch of ministers.

Just look at my signature about now India Indian doctors in polyclinic and hospital A&E, why are there no local doctors? We all know the answer it is not due to no Singaporeans want to be doctors but due to lousy health minister who didn't do a good job. Same can be said for everything else from MRT to HDB to school places.

ComingToJB

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes the govt has shown very poor policy planning and implementation indeed. No worries about no minister, judging from the last decade of ministerial performance, anyone can do a better job than the current and previous batch of ministers.

Just look at my signature about now India Indian doctors in polyclinic and hospital A&E, why are there no local doctors? We all know the answer it is not due to no Singaporeans want to be doctors but due to lousy health minister who didn't do a good job. Same can be said for everything else from MRT to HDB to school places.

Now even petrol station staff.. using foreigners.. from cashier to pump asst.
Is very obvious.. especially in the service industry

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
A lot of the previous ministers who screwed up, example Wong Can Seng & Shorter Mah ( Ironically both are quite short as I tot short males are intelligent) cant even qualify to be ministers in East Timor given their consistent track record of screwing up the ministries that they were posted to. Because of their lack of intelligence, the Sporeans are still suffering as of today such as from poor crime rate ( rape in Bukit Batok Park and Little India Riot etc ), the Big MRT Squeeze and the over-priced HDBs etc.

I do admire their consistency of screwing up though and I am truly amazed the PM has been using and idolizing these two idiots

ComingToJB

Alfrescian
Loyal
A lot of the previous ministers who screwed up, example Wong Can Seng & Shorter Mah ( Ironically both are quite short as I tot short males are intelligent) cant even qualify to be ministers in East Timor given their consistent track record of screwing up the ministries that they were posted to. Because of their lack of intelligence, the Sporeans are still suffering as of today such as from poor crime rate ( rape in Bukit Batok Park and Little India Riot etc ), the Big MRT Squeeze and the over-priced HDBs etc.

I do admire their consistency of screwing up though and I am truly amazed the PM has been using and idolizing these two idiots

http://veritas-lux.blogspot.sg/2011/10/lies-of-paps-foreign-talent-marketing-2.html

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
I noticed your signature in the past and commented on it before. Anyway, I will repeat it here in case you missed it.

It's not difficult to understand why you saw India Indian doctors in polyclinics instead of the usual local doctors.

More than 10 years ago, there was news that NUS Med faculty was reducing its intake of medical students. I remember feeling a bit puzzled. Wouldn't we need more doctors in future? I didn't see that we had an oversupply of doctors. After that, I didn't think too much about it.

But looking at how screwed up the situation here now is, I got my answer. It had been planned all the way back, more than a decade ago, that the government apparently wanted fewer locals to be docs. Why? So that they could import more of these foreigners from third world countries to come here and work. Pay them much less! Back in the 80's, 90's and maybe early 2000, it was almost impossible to find such foreign-looking docs. We all prided ourselves for having top health care standards. But today, I don't think I can say the same.

My Singaporean friend scored 3 A's in his A levels back in the '90s but he failed to get into Med school in NUS. Instead, as you rightly said, you are now seeing all these India Indians in polyclinics. I don't think my friend is any worse than them. In fact, he should be much better. But because his family is not rich, he is unable to become a doctor and got stuck in a totally different field of work uncomfortable for him.

And what if I told you we even have doctors these days from Philippines and Myanmar also? Shocked? Haha... I don't kid you. 3rd world countries docs working here. Why polyclinics? Cos these are the places that serve mainly the poor and lower class citizens in Singapore.

Even in the bigger public hospitals here, many experienced doctors are fed up with their high workload and low pay. I can tell you many of the good doctors are resigning and choose to work in private practice where they can earn many more times. So what you ask? The consequences is that very soon, all the good docs will be found in private and if you want better quality healthcare, you have to go private. In other words, only the rich will mainly have access to better healthcare. Conversely, public hospitals will have mainly the mediocre doctors serving mainly the commoners, many of whom used to be foreigners but given PR or citizenship by the SG government. I'm not saying all docs from public hospitals are bad. But just know that the good ones inevitably tend to leave and setup their own clinics outside to earn a lot more $$$.

So money can't buy you health? Think again!

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I noticed your signature in the past and commented on it before. Anyway, I will repeat it here in case you missed it.

It's not difficult to understand why you saw India Indian doctors in polyclinics instead of the usual local doctors.

More than 10 years ago, there was news that NUS Med faculty was reducing its intake of medical students. I remember feeling a bit puzzled. Wouldn't we need more doctors in future? I didn't see that we had an oversupply of doctors. After that, I didn't think too much about it.

But looking at how screwed up the situation here now is, I got my answer. It had been planned all the way back, more than a decade ago, that the government apparently wanted fewer locals to be docs. Why? So that they could import more of these foreigners from third world countries to come here and work. Pay them much less! Back in the 80's, 90's and maybe early 2000, it was almost impossible to find such foreign-looking docs. We all prided ourselves for having top health care standards. But today, I don't think I can say the same.

My Singaporean friend scored 3 A's in his A levels back in the '90s but he failed to get into Med school in NUS. Instead, as you rightly said, you are now seeing all these India Indians in polyclinics. I don't think my friend is any worse than them. In fact, he should be much better. But because his family is not rich, he is unable to become a doctor and got stuck in a totally different field of work uncomfortable for him.

And what if I told you we even have doctors these days from Philippines and Myanmar also? Shocked? Haha... I don't kid you. 3rd world countries docs working here. Why polyclinics? Cos these are the places that serve mainly the poor and lower class citizens in Singapore.

Even in the bigger public hospitals here, many experienced doctors are fed up with their high workload and low pay. I can tell you many of the good doctors are resigning and choose to work in private practice where they can earn many more times. So what you ask? The consequences is that very soon, all the good docs will be found in private and if you want better quality healthcare, you have to go private. In other words, only the rich will mainly have access to better healthcare. Conversely, public hospitals will have mainly the mediocre doctors serving mainly the commoners, many of whom used to be foreigners but given PR or citizenship by the SG government. I'm not saying all docs from public hospitals are bad. But just know that the good ones inevitably tend to leave and setup their own clinics outside to earn a lot more $$$.

So money can't buy you health? Think again!

My goodness, so not only they didn't increase the intake of medical students, they actually reduced it last time. Yeah only the selected few can become doctors in Spore or have to be rich to go overseas. I also recall last time my ex-colleague having to sell her car and take bus in order to send her child to UK to study medicine. And that was already with the help of inheritance from the grandparents.

So ridiculous to make it so difficult for Singaporeans to become doctors and yet make it so easy for these third world foreign doctors to walk into the job without any difficulty. They should make these foreign doctors re-sit the medical exam like what USA/Canada are doing and not simply admit them based on their home country degree.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
It costs a lot of taxes to train up a doctor from scratch in SG. Import is cheaper and faster. Better I'm not too sure but QC can be put in place.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, it's all planned and worked out nicely for the SG government.

I don't think QC can be easily put in place for the 3rd world countries' doctors. Their standards can be very low. It makes no sense to reject your own locals and then spend much time and money to train foreign docs from developing countries. Is it really cost-effective? No.

I once asked a doctor from Myanmar about "hand Foot and Mouth" disease but she said she had not heard of it before!

This government is so preoccupied to make $$$ that such a compromise is often practised.

Whether taxes are high or not, for goodness sake, why do you show preference to lower class foreigners over your own citizens? I don't know of any country in the world where their government give preferential treatment to outsiders compared to foreigners.

Yes, we do welcome foreigners under specific circumstances. But a line has to be drawn to what extent the immigration dept will accept foreigners working here. The SG government has gone way overboard. Almost berserk in their handling of the policies.

My goodness, so not only they didn't increase the intake of medical students, they actually reduced it last time. Yeah only the selected few can become doctors in Spore or have to be rich to go overseas. I also recall last time my ex-colleague having to sell her car and take bus in order to send her child to UK to study medicine. And that was already with the help of inheritance from the grandparents.

So ridiculous to make it so difficult for Singaporeans to become doctors and yet make it so easy for these third world foreign doctors to walk into the job without any difficulty. They should make these foreign doctors re-sit the medical exam like what USA/Canada are doing and not simply admit them based on their home country degree.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
It costs a lot of taxes to train up a doctor from scratch in SG. Import is cheaper and faster. Better I'm not too sure but QC can be put in place.

I think you haven't met any of the third world foreign doctors yet. Their standard is really very low like what forumer sgcount said or no standard like what I said. Such plum jobs should be reserved for Singaporeans only and no amount of saving in taxes is worth it. In fact, I don't think so any taxes will be saved as the amount of salary paid to these foreign doctors over the years will add up to much more than any saving in taxes.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

I don't think QC can be easily put in place for the 3rd world countries' doctors. Their standards can be very low. It makes no sense to reject your own locals and then spend much time and money to train foreign docs from developing countries. Is it really cost-effective? No.

I once asked a doctor from Myanmar about "hand Foot and Mouth" disease but she said she had not heard of it before!

This government is so preoccupied to make $$$ that such a compromise is often practised.

Whether taxes are high or not, for goodness sake, why do you show preference to lower class foreigners over your own citizens? I don't know of any country in the world where their government give preferential treatment to outsiders compared to foreigners.

Yes, we do welcome foreigners under specific circumstances. But a line has to be drawn to what extent the immigration dept will accept foreigners working here. The SG government has gone way overboard. Almost berserk in their handling of the policies.

Haha so the Myanmar doctor is so no standard, we all know of this common disease without being doctors. Like that how to trust these foreign doctors with HOTA in play? We can make own judgement and get second or third opinion from other doctors when conscious. How about when we are very sick or unconscious in hospital A&E being treated by these very low or no standard foreign doctors?

Yes really can't see any QC being put in place by the govt in the recruitment of these foreign doctors. They are able to practise with just their home country degree. No need to re-take the medical exam means they are free to act according to their usual home country standard. Based on my personal experience with three India indian doctors, the standard is no standard.

Really must put a stop to all these nonsense happening in Spore. Voting for the opposition is the only way to stop these ridiculous policies due to one party being allowed to rule for too long without any opposition.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think you haven't met any of the third world foreign doctors yet. Their standard is really very low like what forumer sgcount said or no standard like what I said. Such plum jobs should be reserved for Singaporeans only and no amount of saving in taxes is worth it. In fact, I don't think so any taxes will be saved as the amount of salary paid to these foreign doctors over the years will add up to much more than any saving in taxes.

From government's perspective, there is significant savings in taxes and more profit for the government linked hospitals that hire them cheaply. If you can afford buy insurance and see better doctor if you are sick. Stay healthy is best. There is nothing else you can do now.

summervale

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sound like creating one problem first and then another problem to solve the earlier one. Effective?

If you know office politic, these problems were created and revolved within the top few guys only, the rest LL have to follow in order to hold onto their fat pay.
===

summervale

Alfrescian
Loyal
If they want to justify saving (peanut), then why want to give themselve high pay? Is this considered as working for themselves rather than working for the interest of the public?

I hope you can see where I am coming from..

From government's perspective, there is significant savings in taxes and more profit for the government linked hospitals that hire them cheaply. If you can afford buy insurance and see better doctor if you are sick. Stay healthy is best. There is nothing else you can do now.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

The problem is the govt is saving money at our expense and at no benefit to us. The way the govt is hiring so many third world doctors in polyclinics and govt hospitals, we should expect the fees to reduce by alot. Instead the fees just keep increasing. People who are not in the know may think we pay cheap cheap fees to see the third world doctors. But we are not. For example the India indian doctor that I saw in hospital A&E, I paid $108 and that was with a few hours long wait.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well-said! But why you so "suay" to see 3 India Indian docs?!

I'm glad that the opposition political parties are getting stronger in the past few years. Also glad to have social media reveal the shameless tactics of the SG government. We didn't have that benefit back before the days of Internet.

It doesn't matter if the opposition cannot win many seats. But from the way things are happening now, I can see the presence of the opposition parties alone makes the PAP wake up from their arrogance and brute force way of pushing local commoners aside in favour of mediocre or substandard foreigners.

Just read the Straits Times that the government has appointed CPF Board to look into allowing partial lump sum withdrawals and voluntary minimum top-ups. This happens only after countless attempts by the citizens and people like Roy Nerng (note: I am neutral towards him) who dare to protest. Now we know GE is coming soon! :smile:

Do you all realise one thing? We need to voice our complaints before this money-face government wake up from their deep sleep. Besides the CPF issue, below are some others:

- Expensive, under-supply of HDB flats (Then suddenly they built a lot more BTO flats. Now flats are over-supplied and prices are going down down down.)

- Overcrowded and often broken down MRT trains (Suddenly Straits Times showed Lui Tuck Yew doing his homework by taking MRT trains like the lazy schoolboy who only studies last minute for his exam)

- Over-priced Brompton bikes bought by NParks. (Khaw Boon Wan initially gave some stupid excuse that such bikes are necessary for the park rangers' comfort. Turned out the tender for the bikes was not done fairly.)

- Foreign bosses employed mainly people from their own countries instead of locals. (Only when reported did the government wake up and MOM set guidelines on how companies need to employ a certain number of locals for every foreigner/PR. Before this, where were the ? Sleeping somewhere while the commoners suffer looking for a suitable job?)

- Chinese cheat Yang Yin tried to steal the wealth of the elderly widow. Ang Mo Kio PAP MP, Intan Mokhtar, had simply submitted a recommendation letter to Immigration based on the fact that the woman suffering from dementia had claimed he was his grandson. Did she simply write the letter when she realised how "rich and successful" the China cheater is? (Only when the news broke out later that he forged his certificate and documents did the police step in to arrest him. If not, then what? This guy would have become an overnight multi-millionaire with his family getting citizenship in no time?)

- The infamous Sim Lim case where a Vietnamese man was cheated and literally begged to have his money returned by the shop (Only then did the authorities decided more needs to be done to remove such dishonest practices.)

There is a handful more. I am too tired to type but I am sure all of you can give some examples without thinking too hard.

Haha so the Myanmar doctor is so no standard, we all know of this common disease without being doctors. Like that how to trust these foreign doctors with HOTA in play? We can make own judgement and get second or third opinion from other doctors when conscious. How about when we are very sick or unconscious in hospital A&E being treated by these very low or no standard foreign doctors?

Yes really can't see any QC being put in place by the govt in the recruitment of these foreign doctors. They are able to practise with just their home country degree. No need to re-take the medical exam means they are free to act according to their usual home country standard. Based on my personal experience with three India indian doctors, the standard is no standard.

Really must put a stop to all these nonsense happening in Spore. Voting for the opposition is the only way to stop these ridiculous policies due to one party being allowed to rule for too long without any opposition.

Last edited: