• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Early retirement in JB

BigMouse

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know of several graduates. Some work part-time cos no permanent jobs. Some work in non profit organisation drawing only $2 - 2.3K. Cushy job? Not forgetting 2 yrs of NS and 2 yrs behind his female peers interms of remuneration. But now worst. Jobless!

Strange, I cannot find Singaporean willing to take up job and yet you know of grads who cannot find one. A mismatch here. My requirement are either Electrical or mechanical graduate.

nitecrawllerr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Strange, I cannot find Singaporean willing to take up job and yet you know of grads who cannot find one. A mismatch here. My requirement are either Electrical or mechanical graduate.

I know a few in Social Science. Still looking for permanent jobs after last yr july graduation.

BigMouse

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know a few in Social Science. Still looking for permanent jobs after last yr july graduation.

Sorry, cannot help here then. Social Science like in counseling type? Outside of government agencies might be tough. Can they do administration type of work (excel and PowerPoint etc) but definitely not wat they study.

nitecrawllerr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry, cannot help here then. Social Science like in counseling type? Outside of government agencies might be tough. Can they do administration type of work (excel and PowerPoint etc) but definitely not wat they study.

The problem is most Ministers would say Sillyporeans are fussy, lazy and demand high pay. But in actual fact most of those graduates or even dip holders are not really fussy about pay. U tell me for $2k mthly pay for graduate, no 13th mth bonus. Not fussy right. They even tried garment and state board. All rejected.

nitecrawllerr

Alfrescian
Loyal
You still can remember your allowance at $90?

I think mine is around $1xx + (recruit time). Can't recalled exactly how much.

Of course i remember those peng ya days. Cheong peng ang hill. WO Tiger Hong poking our backsides.

U see. Those days NS were tough. But i enjoyed every bit of it. Reservist also i love it cos had the opportunities to meet old army friends. We really train for the sake of our nation. We are willing to die for our nation then.

BigMouse

Alfrescian
Loyal
The problem is most Ministers would say Sillyporeans are fussy, lazy and demand high pay. But in actual fact most of those graduates or even dip holders are not really fussy about pay. U tell me for $2k mthly pay for graduate, no 13th mth bonus. Not fussy right. They even tried garment and state board. All rejected.

I am trying to be politically correct here but what was their thinking or goal when they study offbit course like social science. Is it just to get any degree or they have a higher cause. This type of degree hard to find job anywhere and not just in Singapore.

ComingToJB

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know of several graduates. Some work part-time cos no permanent jobs. Some work in non profit organisation drawing only $2 - 2.3K. Cushy job? Not forgetting 2 yrs of NS and 2 yrs behind his female peers interms of remuneration. But now worst. Jobless!

Haha! My nephew, after graduated took 6-months to get a job at age of 25.
Some companies claimed that he has no experience and had chosen the FT instead who had ahead start with few years experience..
WTF!! NS had played him out.. Worst still, a NTU grad lose to a "don't know what" university grad??

ComingToJB

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course i remember those peng ya days. Cheong peng ang hill. WO Tiger Hong poking our backsides.

U see. Those days NS were tough. But i enjoyed every bit of it. Reservist also i love it cos had the opportunities to meet old army friends. We really train for the sake of our nation. We are willing to die for our nation then.
Cheong Peng Kang hill.. WO Tiger Hong.. CDF Winston Choo..... Those were the days!
Yes! We are willing to die for our nation.. & protect all S'porean

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

No, not fussy at all. Two decades ago already near 2k pay for fresh graduates.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal

That's just a stupid excuse for the SG ministers to employ foreigners and give them citizenship. It's just like they say we need more people here also becos of the declining birth rate. But who created the problem in the first place? It's a vicious cycle: Cost of living shoots up exponentially, pay gets suppressed, parents need to work longer hours, no 13th month bonus in some companies, how do you expect the commoners to give birth to more babies? Then that PM Lee will say that's why we need to bring in more people to replace the population! And the cycle repeats.... only to get worse with time.

All these problems are mostly the direct result of the SG government's policies. They want to make more money, tax more businesses, so invite Tom, Dick, Harry here to set up businesses. These business people also want to make money. So how? Employ more foreigners lor! Becos only foreigners can accept lower paying jobs. But remember, back home, even a lowly pay of S$2k job here for a graduate is big money in our neighboring 3rd world country neighbours.

So it's not becos Singaporeans are lazy or choosy as the ministers tried to accuse us. At S$2-3k a month salary, how do you expect a local here to think about buying a stupid small 4-room HDB flat at $500k, no car, and yet still want to produce as many babies as possible?

I can't think of any other 1st world country where their government value foreigners more than their locals. It's so bloody hard for a foreigner to get a job there sometimes when it is already filled by their own locals, let alone get a citizenship.

As my friend described it well, it's like the commoners here kena raped by their own SG government. Haha...And by the results of the past GEs, it's like they don't mind being raped again and again and again. Let's see what the next GE brings.

Last edited:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's just a stupid excuse for the SG ministers to employ foreigners and give them citizenship. It's just like they say we need more people here also becos of the declining birth rate. But who created the problem in the first place? It's a vicious cycle: Cost of living shoots up exponentially, pay gets suppressed, parents need to work longer hours, no 13th month bonus in some companies, how do you expect the commoners to give birth to more babies? Then that PM Lee will say that's why we need to bring in more people to replace the population! And the cycle repeats.... only to get worse with time.

All these problems are mostly the direct result of the SG government's policies. They want to make more money, tax more businesses, so invite Tom, Dick, Harry here to set up businesses. These business people also want to make money. So how? Employ more foreigners lor! Becos only foreigners can accept lower paying jobs. But remember, back home, even a lowly pay of S$2k job here for a graduate is big money in our neighboring 3rd world country neighbours.

So it's not becos Singaporeans are lazy or choosy as the ministers tried to accuse us. At S$2-3k a month salary, how do you expect a local here to think about buying a stupid small 4-room HDB flat at $500k, no car, and yet still want to produce as many babies as possible?

I can't think of any other 1st world country where their government value foreigners more than their locals. It's so bloody hard for a foreigner to get a job there sometimes when it is already filled by their own locals, let alone get a citizenship.

As my friend described it well, it's like the commoners here kena raped by their own SG government. Haha...And by the results of the past GEs, it's like they don't mind being raped again and again and again. Let's see what the next GE brings.

Actually not just no first world but there is no third world country where their govt will value foreigners more than locals too.

summervale

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very soon, we can take up our weapons (pen and ballot paper) AGAIN to stop this massive invasion even though some forumers (I hope they have not given up hope) have claimed that it is too late.

(To me, it is not about taking away jobs but this little peesai has became too crowded and unsafe for all the wrong reasons).

All the best!!
==

U see. Those days NS were tough. But i enjoyed every bit of it. Reservist ...... We are willing to die for our nation then.

Cheong Peng Kang hill.. WO Tiger Hong.. CDF Winston Choo..... Those were the days!
Yes! We are willing to die for our nation.. & protect all S'porean

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually not just no first world but there is no third world country where their govt will value foreigners more than locals too.

Good point.

Singapore is rich with strong economy only because the govt has run the country like some mega MNC as some like to compare. So they import all the foreigners as cheap labour, replacing many of our own locals who can do the same jobs.

Seriously, there is little to be proud of. It's not as if we achieved the success mainly through our own native born Singaporeans.

If you look at very big countries like Canada and Australia, and maybe even Japan, if they do something crazy like what the SG govt has done, ie import millions of foreigners into their countries and give citizenship, their economy could jump in leaps and bounds and they can beat the chilli padi Singapore any time in terms of GDP and everything else.

But no no... their govt won't or can't do that. They think about their locals first. And I am sure their own locals will trash the govt and rebel if such a thing happens. Too bad we are too weak here and the govt has ruled over us with an iron rod.

I'm a firm admirer of Japan. After WWII, they turned around their economy by being innovative and creative. Today, the high tech electronics, robotics and car industries were built and conceptualized by their own native people. Their govt didn't say, Ok, let's make our industries prosper. We need more foreigners to increase our productivity for export of our goods. If they did that, Japan will be a lot richer than it is now.

When my colleague was attached in Japan for work training, he observed many centres had Ph.D researchers to come up with innovative stuffs. Over here, none of us has Ph.D. HR won't sponsor for study grants. The situation always is, No budget. Just make do with whatever we have. See what results others get, we follow. Important thing is, we are facing budget cost-cutting. Not enough funds. Blah blah... On the other hand, we hear PAP ministers here being paid million $$$ salaries, and reportedly as much as 20 months bonus!!! Something wrong???? YES.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
SG lacks land and natural resources to grow organically. The strength of SGD is related to the strength of the working population. Once you cap the growth of the working population, the economy will slow down. It may erode the favorable exchange rate we are enjoying. So be careful what you wish for.

nusajaya2020

Alfrescian
Loyal
I concur. When the SG population grows more and Nusajaya gets more crowded, we have to look for somewhere else to live retire in.

SG lacks land and natural resources to grow organically. The strength of SGD is related to the strength of the working population. Once you cap the growth of the working population, the economy will slow down. It may erode the favorable exchange rate we are enjoying. So be careful what you wish for.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think control and knowing where to draw the line is important. It's not that we don't want growth. It's not that we hate or think foreigners are unnecessary here. But it's how to manage it well such that there is balance. Cost of living will definitely increase in every developed country. But by how fast? Can the people cope or feel comfortable?

Back in the 90's and early to mid 2000, Singapore was doing very well and I remember there was hardly any concern we had unfavourable economy or exchange rate. I remember at every GE, there was no point waiting for the results. PAP would win hands down 80+% of the votes. Fast forward 2011, they won marginally only and we know, they know, their popularity has gone down drastically.

Then suddenly, when there was a surge in population and we began to notice foreign-looking faces every corner, infrastructure not planned properly (by PM Lee's own admission), we knew something was not quite right or comfortable.

For me, I knew something was screwed up when within a span of 5 years, typical HDB flat prices in non-prime areas could increase by as much as 250%, or more than $300,000 but yet PAP ministers constantly insisted they remain affordable.

If economy is of utmost importance over the commoners' well-being, and if I want to be selfish now, then I will say, Ok please jack up the population by 6.5 million end of this year. And I hope more HDB flats can be sold for a million $. Don't give a damn about the poor whiners of this country. Let the new grads live in 2-room HDB flats. Tell them: "Either you try to survive here with your pittance salary or you can rot and be gone from this country."

I don't think that's the right thing to do.

Last edited: