• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Early retirement in JB

nitecrawllerr

Alfrescian
Loyal
YES! That was the real tough training to turn boys to men.. During that time, we wanted to serve wholeheartedly to protect our country and all the S'porean
I was in the elite force and always pushed myself to the limit.. knowing every drop of blood & sweat is very worth it..

Nowadays, army is too pampered, and I dun think by serving NS now will help them to survive in the real world..

Yup! Salary was peesai $90 a month. But no sweat. I did my part. Solid 2 years NS training. Training was tough. Live round were used at time. But no complain. If really mishap then bopian. Die for my country. But nowadays is it worthwhile to die incase of mishap while serving 2 yrs NS? Die for who? FTs? After ORD, will there be jobs for me?

ComingToJB

Alfrescian
Loyal
YES! That was the real tough training to turn boys to men.. During that time, we wanted to serve wholeheartedly to protect our country and all the S'porean
I was in the elite force and always pushed myself to the limit.. knowing every drop of blood & sweat is very worth it..

Nowadays, army is too pampered, and I dun think by serving NS now will help them to survive in the real world..

Yup! Salary was peesai $90 a month. But no sweat. I did my part. Solid 2 years NS training. Training was tough. Live round were used at time. But no complain. If really mishap then bopian. Die for my country. But nowadays is it worthwhile to die incase of mishap while serving 2 yrs NS? Die for who? FTs? After ORD, will there be jobs for me?

Now in my late 40s.. My lower back and my knees beginning to show early sign (problem).. which was mainly due to wear & tear and injury during my NS time..
I dun wish to see my son suffers the same later.. just for the seek to protect FT now

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Airborne troopers for the Pappies company.:biggrin:

These "commandos" from overseas parachuted themselves into Singapore much faster than our Red Lions during the NDP. I find it amused while I was trying to wash my own vehicles recently in my carpark when a Chinaman pulled up next to me in his not very luxurious XC 90, stared down at me even when I smiled at him. He must have tot I am a car washer. Cant blame him... Just a few years ago, Chinamen were the ones roaming the Carparks washing cars for us.. now they are the owners.

Thanks to the govt. You sold us out.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've been to my friend's new HDB flat and saw many foreigners (likely Singaporeans now) living there. It's not the BTO but DBSS kind.

From what was described to me, I am wondering how they were allowed to own flats. I know some residents there have a large shop selling antiques, own a food stall in Orchard Rd, some are IT managers in MNC. In the carpark, you can see BMW, Mercs and other continental cars you may not even find in condos. The HDB flats easily cost high $600k to $700+k.

I don't really think it's right to always judge a book by its cover. But I can't help but wonder:

1. Before the flat was built, the criteria to own HDB flat was $8k max combined salary. For the kind of cars they drive, the professions and businesses they own, I don't think a pathetic $8k is an amount you would describe of their salary in a month! How did they qualify to own the flat?

Could there be some under-reporting of salaries or is this a method how some wash "dirty money" aka money laundering? Not trying to judge anyone. Just thinking out loud...

2. Is it because the government has admitted so many of these rich foreigners and give them citizenship that is one reason why even HDB flat prices have gone up so much? I have some commoner not rich friends earning decent living here. They failed balloting for their flats for more than 5 times. Resale ones cost above $600k.

It just doesn't make sense.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've been to my friend's new HDB flat and saw many foreigners (likely Singaporeans now) living there. It's not the BTO but DBSS kind.

From what was described to me, I am wondering how they were allowed to own flats. I know some residents there have a large shop selling antiques, own a food stall in Orchard Rd, some are IT managers in MNC. In the carpark, you can see BMW, Mercs and other continental cars you may not even find in condos. The HDB flats easily cost high $600k to $700+k.

I don't really think it's right to always judge a book by its cover. But I can't help but wonder:

1. Before the flat was built, the criteria to own HDB flat was $8k max combined salary. For the kind of cars they drive, the professions and businesses they own, I don't think a pathetic $8k is an amount you would describe of their salary in a month! How did they qualify to own the flat?

Could there be some under-reporting of salaries or is this a method how some wash "dirty money" aka money laundering? Not trying to judge anyone. Just thinking out loud...

2. Is it because the government has admitted so many of these rich foreigners and give them citizenship that is one reason why even HDB flat prices have gone up so much? I have some commoner not rich friends earning decent living here. They failed balloting for their flats for more than 5 times. Resale ones cost above $600k.

Must be submitted fake income like Yang Yin lor. All cash sales transactions how to track their real income?

BigMouse

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now in my late 40s.. My lower back and my knees beginning to show early sign (problem).. which was mainly due to wear & tear and injury during my NS time..
I dun wish to see my son suffers the same later.. just for the seek to protect FT now

Please do not throw out the baby together with the water. We are protecting our families, the FT are Mercenaries and will be gone at the first sight of trouble. If we do not defend ourselves, no one will. The NS system despite it's flaws takes decades to build up. This applies to the workplace. Unfortunately, I see too often the self defeating attitude and endless complain exhibited by a lot of Singaporean. There is too little sense of brotherhood among ourselves.

BigMouse

Alfrescian
Loyal

Maybe some declare lower than they earn. Especially business owners. But the SG government is known for efficient at sniffing out money so good luck if they are caught. As for the rest owning flashy car, I firmly believe a fare amount of them are living beyond their means. All my managers drive much flashy cars than me, I know what they drawn in terms of salary so there cannot be much left at the end of every month after expenses. SG Chinese male are disproportionately guilty of this syndrome maybe because of their wife and GF :(

ComingToJB

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please do not throw out the baby together with the water. We are protecting our families, the FT are Mercenaries and will be gone at the first sight of trouble. If we do not defend ourselves, no one will. The NS system despite it's flaws takes decades to build up. This applies to the workplace. Unfortunately, I see too often the self defeating attitude and endless complain exhibited by a lot of Singaporean. There is too little sense of brotherhood among ourselves.
Hah??!!
Serving NS to protect the FT that are being well taken care by our gov..
So during trouble, the $10k earning per month FT will run away.. And a $5k or even 2k per month "true" S'porean were asked to stay back to face the trouble??
My family will leave this country too!

Sense of brotherhood were super strong up to the 90s only.. So did you wonder why so little now?

Last edited:

summervale

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, totally agreed with you. If there is a "change hand" in Sinkapore Pte Ltd, only those upper level management will be affected, so why bother?
If really no choice, then work for another company lah.

Hah??!!
So during trouble, the $10k earning per month FT will run away.. And a $5k or even 2k per month "true" S'porean were asked to stay back to face the trouble??

Sense of brotherhood were super strong up to the 90s only.. So did you wonder why so little now?

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hah??!!

Avoid N Ass is the bestest. It is a City. Run.

BigMouse

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hah??!!

Understand. You desire to not perform NS at whatever cost and will use whatever reasoning to justify. There is no use talking about this subject to you and those that thinks like that. FT is just a convenience excuse. When there is no FT, I believe you will invent about reason easily. Talk is cheap.

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be fair, NS is a must for sg, no question about it. Nothing is yours if you cannot protect it. And I have no objections on having those real foreign talents in sg to help with the economy. The main reason is because when I retire, I need those foreign talents in sg to slog it out and rent my apartment for sgd 4 k so that I can retire in style in Johor with myr 12k per month for doing nothing.

ComingToJB

Alfrescian
Loyal
Understand. You desire to not perform NS at whatever cost and will use whatever reasoning to justify. There is no use talking about this subject to you and those that thinks like that. FT is just a convenience excuse. When there is no FT, I believe you will invent about reason easily. Talk is cheap.
I have already played my part with heart & soul by completed my 13-years cycle over 10 years ago..
So nothing to desire about.. And as to whether talk is cheap or expensive.. I'm not interested

Last edited:

BigMouse

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have already played my part with heart & soul by completed my 13-years cycle over 10 years ago..
So nothing to desire about.. And as to whether talk is cheap or expensive.. I'm not interested

Just to clarify as you have misunderstood, I am not talking about your own involvement in NS. Instead, I have issue with your rationale for everyone else to not perform NS and to run when our country is in trouble.

I agreed that the policies with FT need to be slowed down and be modifies to protect Singaporean more. Despite these problem, I love Singapore dearly. And because I have seen first hand the problems other places has, I truly appreciate the peace and security we enjoy because of our strength.

nitecrawllerr

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agreed that the policies with FT need to be slowed down and be modifies to protect Singaporean more. Despite these problem, I love Singapore dearly. And because I have seen first hand the problems other places has, I truly appreciate the peace and security we enjoy because of our strength.

I also love Sillypore. Old man I respect. His son No NO. Just look at the mess hes has created. Good jobs all go to "FTs".

Do u know alot of graduates sillyporean still unemployed? So i hope my children get exempted from NS for good. Must teach him to geng kau leow.

BigMouse

Alfrescian
Loyal
I also love Sillypore. Old man I respect. His son No NO. Just look at the mess hes has created. Good jobs all go to "FTs".

Do u know alot of graduates sillyporean still unemployed? So i hope my children get exempted from NS for good. Must teach him to geng kau leow.

I originally thought the same as you. However, I have changed my mind over the last couple of years when I am in a position to hire. I have tried to hire Singaporean and has some success with getting a couple of fresh graduates. However far more position went to foreign because a lot of Singaporean refused to work shift. And just in case you asked, the job pays well $4k ++ all in for fresh graduates, more for experienced folks. But still few takers. Some but too few! That is why I felt the young one needs to be toughens up. They rather go for cushy job than challenging but rewarding ones.

nitecrawllerr

Alfrescian
Loyal
I originally thought the same as you. However, I have changed my mind over the last couple of years when I am in a position to hire. I have tried to hire Singaporean and has some success with getting a couple of fresh graduates. However far more position went to foreign because a lot of Singaporean refused to work shift. And just in case you asked, the job pays well $4k ++ all in for fresh graduates, more for experienced folks. But still few takers. Some but too few! That is why I felt the young one needs to be toughens up. They rather go for cushy job than challenging but rewarding ones.

I know of several graduates. Some work part-time cos no permanent jobs. Some work in non profit organisation drawing only $2 - 2.3K. Cushy job? Not forgetting 2 yrs of NS and 2 yrs behind his female peers interms of remuneration. But now worst. Jobless!