• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Early retirement in JB

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes, car is a necessity in malaysia.
was actually referring to the older folks.

Then make your old folks or your maid to take up driving lessons in JB, its not expensive.
All they need to know is to drive to the nearby market or makan shops and back, no need to go to highways, just like many local old uncles and aunties.
My friend's maid fetch his and his neighbour's children to and back from school and take his mother to market in his 3rd car.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
Then make your old folks or your maid to take up driving lessons in JB, its not expensive.
All they need to know is to drive to the nearby market or makan shops and back, no need to go to highways, just like many local old uncles and aunties.
My friend's maid fetch his and his neighbour's children to and back from school and take his mother to market in his 3rd car.

My father in law recently passed away so maybe can ask my mum in law if she minds staying with us in JB. She can rent out her hdb for passive income then...

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just met the right agent with contacts for max S$6k rental for my terrace house, one is Mediacorp to use for filming and the other to house James Cook university foreign students....hopefully get either one then can have about S$4k net passive income to retire in JB at least for a while!

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just met the right agent with contacts for max S$6k rental for my terrace house, one is Mediacorp to use for filming and the other to house James Cook university foreign students....hopefully get either one then can have about S$4k net passive income to retire in JB at least for a while!

To re-cap, you've already bought a house in JB but not yet made the critical decision of retiring and moving to JB? And the opportunity now beckons and you intend to make that decision now. Good luck and keep us posted :smile:

This year will also be critical for me -- my JB 'retirement' condo will be ready late 2015 or early 2016 latest. I'll need to make the call whether to retire and move in as originally planned when I purchased the unit :smile:

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
To re-cap, you've already bought a house in JB but not yet made the critical decision of retiring and moving to JB? And the opportunity now beckons and you intend to make that decision now. Good luck and keep us posted :smile:

This year will also be critical for me -- my JB 'retirement' condo will be ready late 2015 or early 2016 latest. I'll need to make the call whether to retire and move in as originally planned when I purchased the unit :smile:

Good to hear that...do share more, r u also renting out Sg properties for passive income? How old r u? Any kids? Which condo and how big did u buy?

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good to hear that...do share more, r u also renting out Sg properties for passive income? How old r u? Any kids? Which condo and how big did u buy?

No kids; just my partner and me, hence we settled on a 3 bed condo with lifestyle elements (senibong cove). I'm 46. With no kids, we plan to rely on a mix of capital drawdown and investment income from 2 sg condos.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
No kids; just my partner and me, hence we settled on a 3 bed condo with lifestyle elements (senibong cove). I'm 46. With no kids, we plan to rely on a mix of capital drawdown and investment income from 2 sg condos.

Sounds good...hope your plan succeeds....

dare2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was just chatting with my mum....she says her paid-up hdb maisonette that she stays with my elder brother who is single , can rent out for S$3-4k a month. Was thinking if both of them stays with us in JB since we have 5 bedrooms, we will then have S$6-8k a mth which should be sufficient...I can save on paying her her allowance, taking it as rental but my hubby and brother have to agree first....

...haha so you are doing a "Yowetan" move from Condosingapore forum.......you should learn the art of persuasion form him...he managed to get his Father/Mother, Father-inLaw/Mother-in-Law, and Brother-in-Law to chip in and pool resources to buy a landed in Mt Sinai Sg.....they all live under one roof as one happy extended-extended family with his wife , 2 kids and a dog.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's really heartening to see many Singaporeans wanting to retire (early) in JB. I guess the general sentiments now is if we stay rooted here, we can't take it easy from work any time soon!

I dunno if you guys mind sharing about how you get the $$$ to start investing or buying properties. Can't be just by brute force saving I guess? I am always learning on ways to plan for my retirement, how to make my money work harder, etc.

I'm not greedy for money in general. Always thought (wrongly!!!) I could depend on the SG government to take care of things for the commoners so long as I do my job well, buy affordable (no such thing now) HDB flat, and can be assured that the government will see to it that my CPF is sufficient for me to retire happy.

However, I got a very rude shock when I realize how badly they handle even the public housing here. I failed balloting years ago for a BTO flat many times, many places resale HDB flats were asking for COV $80-100k, a 4-bedroom in fairly good location costs more than $500k, a price that was similar to a condo not too long ago. And I now also know CPF got to constantly top up while my salary remains pretty much stagnant annually. I can't even see retirement in the next 20 years yet. Now I realize I am separated from the government and see them as running the country like a corporation.

So I wonder if any of you mind sharing like how you manage to amass your financial wealth.... is it from business, playing shares, buying properties (back then when times were good)? For eg, "freedom", you posted you have 2 SG condos. You are the envy of many young people here! I don't think any commoner uni graduate stuck in a typical job can ever dream of even owning a 1-bedroom condo here for a long time to come.

Appreciate your kind sharing!

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's really heartening to see many Singaporeans wanting to retire (early) in JB. I guess the general sentiments now is if we stay rooted here, we can't take it easy from work any time soon!

I dunno if you guys mind sharing about how you get the $$$ to start investing or buying properties. Can't be just by brute force saving I guess? I am always learning on ways to plan for my retirement, how to make my money work harder, etc.

I'm not greedy for money in general. Always thought (wrongly!!!) I could depend on the SG government to take care of things for the commoners so long as I do my job well, buy affordable (no such thing now) HDB flat, and can be assured that the government will see to it that my CPF is sufficient for me to retire happy.

However, I got a very rude shock when I realize how badly they handle even the public housing here. I failed balloting years ago for a BTO flat many times, many places resale HDB flats were asking for COV $80-100k, a 4-bedroom in fairly good location costs more than $500k, a price that was similar to a condo not too long ago. And I now also know CPF got to constantly top up while my salary remains pretty much stagnant annually. I can't even see retirement in the next 20 years yet. Now I realize I am separated from the government and see them as running the country like a corporation.

So I wonder if any of you mind sharing like how you manage to amass your financial wealth.... is it from business, playing shares, buying properties (back then when times were good)? For eg, "freedom", you posted you have 2 SG condos. You are the envy of many young people here! I don't think any commoner uni graduate stuck in a typical job can ever dream of even owning a 1-bedroom condo here for a long time to come.

I bought into KSL Residences@Daya because I was attracted by the 20% rebate plus free legal fees, state consent, free furnishings, etc and low booking fee. Given an 80% loan meant I paid just the refundable booking fee of RM5000, now I heard is RM2000 only. Ready in 2018 or so. I think this kind of scheme will work for people like us. I only need to start paying for it when collect keys 4 years later. So if you think it works for you can consider this or other similar offers out there. All the best!

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal

Appreciate your kind sharing.

I was from GEP before and am a locum GP now so fortunate to have a fairly good income of S$10k to up to SS15k a month depending on how hard I work so banks r willing to loan me more money.

When I started off, we owned an EC bought in 2001, TOP in 2003, bought for S$500k which we sold in 2010 for slightly more than S$300k profit. My hubby though job is a bit unstable, is a very frugal person so saves a lot and made some money in CFDs with a friend too. Coupled with S$50k my dad gave me when he passed away, we managed to buy a freehold landed terrace near a good pri school for my son's sake in 2010 for S$1.1 mil. Did not think of making money then but property boomed and valuation doubled to S$2mil.

In 2012, we bought a 1 bedder condo with savings from my locum work for S$600k +, with 10% downpayment in cash ie about 60k cash. It was before a cooling measure. We took out an equity loan against my terrace of about $400k to buy the jb semid in 2013. It was also before the TDSR cooling measure. So we were lucky in a way to buy just before cooling measures which would have made it difficult for us to buy...

larky28

Alfrescian
Loyal
To amass big sum of wealth.. a lot is boiled down to luck.. To get wealthy just by brute force saving means a lot of sacrifice. It took me more than 20 years to save 1 million through that hard work and frugality and I really don't have much life. Unfortunately, I can only go thru' brute force saving as I am not a high income earner like most people here and I am someone who has no 偏财运 as well.. almost everything I invest in, be it shares or business ended in >100K losses. Now that I can retire early is not because I have some money but more like I am too adverse to spending.

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
May I ask what are the possible daily activities after successfully retired in JB in a big house? Golf, fishing, Taiji, social work, gardening, watch the 1000 episodes soap opera? When retired, it will be suddenly like we have all the time in the world.

Frankly, I have trouble figuring out what are the Meaningful activities to do after early retirement in JB. I don't want to do gardening, and there's only so much golf and fishing I can do. Hope to hear more ideas from seasoned folks here. Thanks.

gooddebt

Alfrescian
Loyal
May I ask what are the possible daily activities after successfully retired in JB in a big house? Golf, fishing, Taiji, social work, gardening, watch the 1000 episodes soap opera? When retired, it will be suddenly like we have all the time in the world.

Frankly, I have trouble figuring out what are the Meaningful activities to do after early retirement in JB. I don't want to do gardening, and there's only so much golf and fishing I can do. Hope to hear more ideas from seasoned folks here. Thanks.

Doing social work will be very meaningful. Helps to enlarge yr social circle too...

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
Start a simple web portal...market, manage and administer as daily activities.....

Was asking my hubby to do that like start an online business but unsure if allowed in Malaysia...or can we set it up in Sg and access in Malaysia?
For me, I will spend my time with kids, do housework and gardening, swim, go spa, do church volunteering and mission work...if bored or need more money, do some locum work in Sg....

Legolad

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was asking my hubby to do that like start an online business but unsure if allowed in Malaysia...or can we set it up in Sg and access in Malaysia?
For me, I will spend my time with kids, do housework and gardening, swim, go spa, do church volunteering and mission work...if bored or need more money, do some locum work in Sg....
KL Online Traders new ruling.jpg

Hope this helps.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Be a health freak/guru! Get as fit and healthy as you can...so you can eat as much good food in JB as you can...with moderation! LOL!

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Be a health freak/guru! Get as fit and healthy as you can...so you can eat as much good food in JB as you can...with moderation! LOL!

Haha yes, should try to fix 1 hour for morning walk/jog and 1 hour for evening swim every day. Get a dog/cat, buy an internet tv box, and your day will have been pretty occupied liao.