• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Early retirement in JB

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
We can have tons of valid reasons. But 70% Sinkies will not agree with u.

Btw i belong to those 30%

I don't care whether the other Sinkies agree with me. I'm just stating the hard facts.

There are myths the PAP would like us to believe. They made it sound as if we have zero tolerance over foreigners here. Rubbish. Did we say that? The problem is they brought in many foreigners who can't even speak basic English (our working language), some with fake degrees, many who "snatched" jobs from our locally born and bred SGporeans. Which other country's government dare to do this? There would be riots, strikes and the Istana could very well be burnt down.

You want to pay local grads $2k a month for a job while you make the cost of living so high. Which commoner can survive comfortably here? Of course the foreigners will accept such jobs as they are paid much less in their home countries. With $2k a month, after working for several years here, they can live like kings if they choose to go back home.

Then there are rubbish ministers like Josephine Teo who commented that MRT trains break down is normal as more and more people use them. Khaw Boon Wan the clown even came out to say, Please, please... if you stop foreigners from coming, what is going to happen to my HDB flats? There will be no construction workers to build them. Again, trying to play with words. When did we say we have anything against the temporary workers here?

It's all these nonsense from the SG government that put 30% of the citizens off. The 70% butt-lickers either voted out of fear, benefited during the LKY era, or are simply rich people, of which you can tell some are in this forum.

The bottom line is, take care of your citizens first, get your infrastructure in place, then talk about bringing in the foreigners.

eric3417

Alfrescian
Loyal
The TOP brains i.e.: Scholars had already planned decades ahead. Eg: SG100.
They will remain in power by carefully executing their Masterplan. Immigration.
Occasionally they will do some calibrations as & when need i.e: GE2011.

We are fighting a losing Battle. Rather than KBKB, i rather make plans.
KBKB will get us nowhere. Iskandar is my insurance plan.
Pray that can still be decently Employed in meantime.

:cool:

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
The TOP brains i.e.: Scholars had already planned decades ahead. Eg: SG100.
They will remain in power by carefully executing their Masterplan. Immigration.
Occasionally they will do some calibrations as & when need i.e: GE2011.

We are fighting a losing Battle. Rather than KBKB, i rather make plans.
KBKB will get us nowhere. Iskandar is my insurance plan.
Pray that can still be decently Employed in meantime.

:cool:

Totally agreed. Whining and KBKB will give you brownie points but it won't solve your problems.
I am from the other side of the fence in Malaysia. Everyone knows Chinese are not exactly the favorite son of the land.
We do not have favored polcies nor high interest bearing funds to subscribe. However we do not complain and we take life as a challenge. If we do not help ourselves, no one will help us. Those who complain are usually the politicians. :biggrin:

I bought into PH hoping to hitch a ride on what Iskandar has to offer Singaporeans. Of course I planned what I wanted in my life and that planning started some 15 years ago. My way is to start small and not too ambitious. Build up as you go along. Some properties may make money, some don't. Mentally I am prepared even if I lose. But touch wood, so far the averaging is still positive. There is no such thing as "pau chiak". Property investment is not the only thing you can do in your planning. There are many other options to be included in your retirement plans to make it a meaningful basket of goodies you can dip into when you fully retire.

UsernameX

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha another malaysian working in SG and playing in Iskandar. Forest city looks impressive but I worry abt overbuilding high rise in Johor. I manage to cancel one of my high rise condo purchase and only stuck with 1 super expensive high rise in JB city. I got another shop office with Sunway Iskandar.

Long term wise Iskandar may boom if remain status quo and central government no more scandal.... We are currently just at the start of the property down cycle, so everyone need to hold tight and play safe

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
OMG! I was flipping through Sunday Times and I saw a Patio unit @ renowned Sentosa condos asking for just S$1100 PSF. OMG! What is happening to our country?

Talking about FT esp those from China. In my Singapore house alone, 3 out of 6 families are from China. So I guess the % of PRC in Singapore is not 10% as what the govt would like you to think. Its easily 40%

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have to agree with you. Over the CNY season I was bringing some of my Taiwanese business associate to ISkandar factories and they were going CHEEP! CHEEP! CHEEP! at just S$600,000 FREEHOLD. The week before they were in Singapore and I bought them to see S$3 million 25 year leasehold left in Tuas and they were shouting SHIT SHIT SHIT!

I am very glad I helped a few of them safe S$2.4 million just like that.

It is already happening in Singapore, companies shutting down or moving away. Just look at the state of SGX today.

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lee Hsien Loong seriously need to think about how to run a country properly. I am quite disappointed he has all the time in his life, easily 40 years to learn from his learned daddy but he seem to flop spectacularly in almost every department. If he don't buck up and do a better job in Singapore, his father will adhere to his promise and open up his eyes and enter the Istana once again to run the country. Sad to say, there is only one LKY in the world and he is gone.

Do you all find it weird....The government released so much land for sale in the last few years and developers also went in to buy, buy, buy.

But from 2011 to 2013, so many measures were imposed to curb the heated property market. The worst and final blow was in 2013.

Now the developers are faced with a problem. The government is telling them: "Sell all your units or we will tax you!"

I feel all this problem is due to the government's greed. They went too far by selling so much land without considering the consequences -- properties that quickly shot up in price because they are many rich people in Singapore and rich foreign investors who like Singapore properties. This is no different from the greed when they let in so many new immigrants but the infrastructure couldn't accommodate -- Foreign workers were favoured over Singaporeans, salaries were suppressed, MRT trains broke down frequently, etc. So they finally woke up in GE2011 when they lost the most number of votes in history.

But one thing for sure, in good or bad times, this Singapore government will never lose. When the property market is booming, they make money from the high price land bidding by developers. When the market is down, they make money from ABSD! Even HDB flat buyers have to take higher housing loans cos directly or indirectly, the government has caused the prices to increase. That's another way they make money without making it so obvious it's their own doing!

Under Lee Hsien Loong, I feel he made a huge mess of the whole thing. Yes, you boost the country's economy and all that in a short time, but your citizens' lives are drastically affected and it's irreversible. In his father's time, things were more properly controlled and HDB flats were really affordable and meant for commoners.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have to agree with you. Over the CNY season I was bringing some of my Taiwanese business associate to ISkandar factories and they were going CHEEP! CHEEP! CHEEP! at just S$600,000 FREEHOLD. The week before they were in Singapore and I bought them to see S$3 million 25 year leasehold left in Tuas and they were shouting SHIT SHIT SHIT!

I am very glad I helped a few of them safe S$2.4 million just like that.

I was near Gelang Patah the other day and I thought those nearly completed factories built by Nakano was pretty impressive.

nitecrawllerr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lee Hsien Loong seriously need to think about how to run a country properly. I am quite disappointed he has all the time in his life, easily 40 years to learn from his learned daddy but he seem to flop spectacularly in almost every department. If he don't buck up and do a better job in Singapore, his father will adhere to his promise and open up his eyes and enter the Istana once again to run the country. Sad to say, there is only one LKY in the world and he is gone.

I am going to withdraw whatever money excess of my RA come next mth!

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Totally agreed. Whining and KBKB will give you brownie points but it won't solve your problems.
I am from the other side of the fence in Malaysia. Everyone knows Chinese are not exactly the favorite son of the land.
We do not have favored polcies nor high interest bearing funds to subscribe. However we do not complain and we take life as a challenge. If we do not help ourselves, no one will help us. Those who complain are usually the politicians. :biggrin:

I bought into PH hoping to hitch a ride on what Iskandar has to offer Singaporeans. Of course I planned what I wanted in my life and that planning started some 15 years ago. My way is to start small and not too ambitious. Build up as you go along. Some properties may make money, some don't. Mentally I am prepared even if I lose. But touch wood, so far the averaging is still positive. There is no such thing as "pau chiak". Property investment is not the only thing you can do in your planning. There are many other options to be included in your retirement plans to make it a meaningful basket of goodies you can dip into when you fully retire.

Us Cina always second class citizen since born. That's why my wife (foreign) always impressed how come a lot of Cina MY very hardy & tricky. Whole life fighting, who doesn't become stronger & trickier.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Us Cina always second class citizen since born. That's why my wife (foreign) always impressed how come a lot of Cina MY very hardy & tricky. Whole life fighting, who doesn't become stronger & trickier.

I very nice guy la, not what you described as hardy and tricky. :biggrin:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

I agree that MY Chinese people are very tough and hardworking. A fine example is my neighbour who is Malaysian Chinese. He has never worked in MY before, he dropped out of school and found work in Singapore and has been working in Singapore for past 20 years. He has 4 wonderful kids and owns two MY cars and one SG car. Every year he would take his family on an off-road adventure trip in their 4WD for 3 weeks. Last time they drive in a convoy all the way to Laos!

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree that MY Chinese people are very tough and hardworking. A fine example is my neighbour who is Malaysian Chinese. He has never worked in MY before, he dropped out of school and found work in Singapore and has been working in Singapore for past 20 years. He has 4 wonderful kids and owns two MY cars and one SG car. Every year he would take his family on an off-road adventure trip in their 4WD for 3 weeks. Last time they drive in a convoy all the way to Laos!

Some people think to if one dine in some air conditioned squeaky clean white tiled floor restaurant day in day out is enjoying life. Some even think to be able to travel every year overseas just to show their friends through FB is also cool. Yet some think to stay in some posh condo is good life. They are not wrong. It is their choice and definition of higher standard of living. To them it is their version of good life.

For me, the floor of the restaurant can be oily, worn out yet tasty is good enough. If I travel, I rather go to see Angkor Wat or even to Tumpat, Kelantan to see the Buddha temples and that is good enough for me. I remember in my kampong days, I live in a wooden house with zinc roof and during CNY, all the relatives come over and have great gathering. Maybe hot, stuffy and cluttered with cookies with pots hanging all over, we did had a good time together. To me, that is good life. That is priceless. No need to compare, no need to complain. We work hard, we play even more harder.

Iskandar and Singapore is the same. People associate Singapore as the higher class and superior standard of living. Iskandar is lower class. But it is our choice where we want to live in and the neighbours we want. What matters most is in our hearts where we feel comfortable. Higher class and lower class is separated by one's perception. If you think you are better, then you are. It does not affect me at all.

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I recently visited some condos in Singapore for some work related stuff and WOW, some of these condos are simply AMAZING! Private Parking (in unit), Private Pool (in unit), high quality finishing, super nice decking, the most breathtaking views, only can dream to stay in places like these. Cannot compare with anything I have seen in SEA but price also amazing.

1,500sqf - S$4.8mil (mid range condo in Newton), 1,800sqf - S$5.6mil (higher end condo in Newton, the private pool one) lastly 2,000sqf - 8mil (high end condo in Tanglin) - I really dunno who are these owners got so much money.

There are some crappy ones i saw in Bukit Timah/Novena area as well asking same price but super old, not worth it to me. I'm renting for company exec by the way, not buying for myself :smile:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I recently visited some condos in Singapore for some work related stuff and WOW, some of these condos are simply AMAZING! Private Parking (in unit), Private Pool (in unit), high quality finishing, super nice decking, the most breathtaking views, only can dream to stay in places like these. Cannot compare with anything I have seen in SEA but price also amazing.

1,500sqf - S$4.8mil (mid range condo in Newton), 1,800sqf - S$5.6mil (higher end condo in Newton, the private pool one) lastly 2,000sqf - 8mil (high end condo in Tanglin) - I really dunno who are these owners got so much money.

There are some crappy ones i saw in Bukit Timah/Novena area as well asking same price but super old, not worth it to me. I'm renting for company exec by the way, not buying for myself :smile:

Wah lau eh...those less expensive (I don't dare to call them cheap!) condos selling at $1.3mil also beyond my reach liao, not to say $4.8 mil! That's why JB is my only hope to get property, be it landed or condo.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's always a higher mountain somewhere. :smile:

That kind of S$4-5 mil condos are definitely within the comfortable reach of many Singapore professionals -- Doctors, bankers, lawyers, architects, accountants, entrepreneurs, top management in the civil service, local celebrities, etc.

Just to give some perspective: The average annual combined income of say a 30-something husband and wife professional above can easily be 1/2 a million S$ or more. A few years of savings will allow them to buy those kinds of condos. If they had bought it years ago, it would be even cheaper and achievable. If they are older or more senior, that amount of money is even more "peanuts" to them.

My colleague's brother who is a dentist with his own clinic has 4 leasehold investment properties getting him good returns in the past many years. Recently, I was told he just bought another new condo. I almost gasped. People like him won't consider Iskandar. Don't need to. Money flows like tap water for them! And there are of course many many other such examples.....

There are more rich people in Singapore than sometimes what we think. :smile: