• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Early retirement in JB

gooddebt

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Freedom,

I personally think it's a good time to invest in JB now. If Iskandar takes off in a big way with the ETP, properties will rise in value over time, although i think it will take many years for our profits to be realised. Am thinking perhaps 10 years or so? I do agree strongly that having a property in JB is a backup retirement plan, in case SG gets too expensive in 15-20 years down the road, we will still have a good place to live. SG will always be more ex given we import most items from overseas.

So, I can think of 2 scenarios:
1) JB properties do very well, ie. property value appreciate more than 2 times from now -> sell and take profit, continue living in SG
2) JB properties don't do well, ie. assume zero appreciation -> rent out SG property, move and retire in JB!

Foolproof plan :smile:

streams

Alfrescian
Loyal
if JB properties do well in appreciation and rental- Rent out both JB and Singapore properties. Buy a 2nd property at city fringe of JB and retire? :p

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Freedom,

I personally think it's a good time to invest in JB now. If Iskandar takes off in a big way with the ETP, properties will rise in value over time, although i think it will take many years for our profits to be realised. Am thinking perhaps 10 years or so? I do agree strongly that having a property in JB is a backup retirement plan, in case SG gets too expensive in 15-20 years down the road, we will still have a good place to live. SG will always be more ex given we import most items from overseas.

So, I can think of 2 scenarios:
1) JB properties do very well, ie. property value appreciate more than 2 times from now -> sell and take profit, continue living in SG
2) JB properties don't do well, ie. assume zero appreciation -> rent out SG property, move and retire in JB!

Thanks for yr input. Have similar thoughts too..

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now that I have paid up and have the keys at my lawyer's office, only thing is to wait a few mths for our title deed to the house....

Was initially hesitating to buy but decided to go ahead as buying can still fulfill my primary objective of getting money for kids uni fees in case they need to study overseas as I can sell my terrace in Sg in 10 years time if necessary. We can then still have a place big enough and near enough to Sg to stay. Buying JB allows me to monetize my terrace so believe it is the right decision.

The increased toll charges and upcoming VEP should help to reduce jams and hopefully traffic will be smoother. But we will probably not do daily commute as far as possible. Not till RTS is up at least.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now that I have paid up and have the keys at my lawyer's office, only thing is to wait a few mths for our title deed to the house....

Was initially hesitating to buy but decided to go ahead as buying can still fulfill my primary objective of getting money for kids uni fees in case they need to study overseas as I can sell my terrace in Sg in 10 years time if necessary. We can then still have a place big enough and near enough to Sg to stay. Buying JB allows me to monetize my terrace so believe it is the right decision.

The increased toll charges and upcoming VEP should help to reduce jams and hopefully traffic will be smoother. But we will probably not do daily commute as far as possible. Not till RTS is up at least.

why not consider an equity loan?

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
Already took an equity loan of 400k to buy the JB house. Ok to do so as I am still fairly young but when I am reaching retirement age, I would not want to take on big loans. But will probably ask my kids to take study loans or apply for scholarships if they are good enough.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal

VEP will reduce jams on office hours but not on weekends and holidays , infact will get worst on weekends and holidays as it is free. Some people will avoid weekdays shopping / petrol and choose to go in during the free period .

jc731

Alfrescian
Loyal
VEP will reduce jams on office hours but not on weekends and holidays , infact will get worst on weekends and holidays as it is free. Some people will avoid weekdays shopping / petrol and choose to go in during the free period .

With the recent implement of Spore VEP, EDL toll charge aka CIQ 1 inbound/outbound charges and the akan datang Malaysia VEP by the end of this year. I believe the story will not ends here. What's your thought of the feasibility to retire or to invest in JB.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
With the recent implement of Spore VEP, EDL toll charge aka CIQ 1 inbound/outbound charges and the akan datang Malaysia VEP by the end of this year. I believe the story will not ends here. What's your thought of the feasibility to retire or to invest in JB.

For investment , example buy for rental income , flip , etc .. very risky , not worth the risk lah . As for retirement use , still is OK . Must buy at location where public transport is easily available within walking distance and price must not be more than 50% of a typical 4 rm HDB resale flat . Otherwise I rather stay in pigeon hole if no significant saving .:cool:

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
move to mal is to upgrade, not downgrading yrself.. :o
If u pay wtm same price or higher than in sg.. something is not right oredi..:p

Gardener

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes agree, if d math dun work out just stay put in our pigeon hole.

For investment , example buy for rental income , flip , etc .. very risky , not worth the risk lah . As for retirement use , still is OK . Must buy at location where public transport is easily available within walking distance and price must not be more than 50% of a typical 4 rm HDB resale flat . Otherwise I rather stay in pigeon hole if no significant saving .:cool:

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Must buy at location where public transport is easily available within walking distance and price must not be more than 50% of a typical 4 rm HDB resale flat

Huh, there's not much choice rite for public transport within walking distance? JBCC, Larkin, Bukit Indah? For retirement, I don't see the need for public transport to be within walking distance. Its hard to walk in Johor also, without the need to constantly look over your shoulder.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Huh, there's not much choice rite for public transport within walking distance? JBCC, Larkin, Bukit Indah? For retirement, I don't see the need for public transport to be within walking distance. Its hard to walk in Johor also, without the need to constantly look over your shoulder.

Have to take time to find , 10 to 15min walk is still better than those area where public transport is non existence . Example some area in Bukit Indah , Nusa Duta , Nusa Bestari , Sutera Mall area, JB city area . The bus actually go around the loop , you can stop them anywhere you see them. Sorry not familiar with Setia , Austin , etc

You think retirees so rich can buy S$150K SG car plus all kind of tolls , VEP that can be ever increasing.

Most likely I can still afford a JB car for travelling in Malaysia . To go back to Singapore , just walk to the bus stop take a bus to Singapore , only RM5/= . I have been doing this once a while to try out . It is very fesible, no problem . Retirees dont need to go back to Singapore everyday , maybe twice a month is more than enough right ?

Last edited:

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
move to mal is to upgrade, not downgrading yrself.. :o
If u pay wtm same price or higher than in sg.. something is not right oredi..:p

Just six month back still got lot of forumers here claim that RM1000/= psf condo cost almost a 4-5rm resale HDB is cheap because got ficilities must compare JB condo with SG condo. Tell them not worth it , cannot save money living in such condo , they wont belive . Now if add in all the tolls and VEP , become more expensive than Singapore , tell me which expat working in Singapore will rent from them ?

Last edited:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have to take time to find , 10 to 15min walk is still better than those area where public transport is non existence . Example some area in Bukit Indah , Nusa Duta , Nusa Bestari , Sutera Mall area, JB city area . The bus actually go around the loop , you can stop them anywhere you see them. Sorry not familiar with Setia , Austin , etc

You think retirees so rich can buy S$150K SG car plus all kind of tolls , VEP that can be ever increasing.

Most likely I can still afford a JB car for travelling in Malaysia . To go back to Singapore , just walk to the bus stop take a bus to Singapore , only RM5/= . I have been doing this once a while to try out . It is very fesible, no problem . Retirees dont need to go back to Singapore everyday , maybe twice a month is more than enough right ?

At least once a month to validate social visit status again. :smile:

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
I plan to do just that should I ever retire in Malaysia

I mean, if u still wanna come back to Singapore daily when u are "retired" then u might as well stay in Singapore

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wondering when my studio is TOP prob by next year, should I retire in JB? If I stretch my mrtgage for my terrace, can get S$5000 rental for terrace and S$2200 rental for studio, then minus mortgage for terrace $2250 and semid S1200 will have $3750 to retire on as studio mortgage can be paid up. Then have to minus studio maintenance and property tax, should still have more than 3k , is that sufficient? Converted to rm is 7500rm. Read that the average malaysian family income is less than 5000rm and they can survive...but international school is expensive unless I let them take century school bus to nearby sg schools or commute daily then have to semiretire to support the car....

Aviator

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wondering when my studio is TOP prob by next year, should I retire in JB? If I stretch my mrtgage for my terrace, can get S$5000 rental for terrace and S$2200 rental for studio, then minus mortgage for terrace $2250 and semid S1200 will have $3750 to retire on as studio mortgage can be paid up. Then have to minus studio maintenance and property tax, should still have more than 3k , is that sufficient? Converted to rm is 7500rm. Read that the average malaysian family income is less than 5000rm and they can survive...but international school is expensive unless I let them take century school bus to nearby sg schools or commute daily then have to semiretire to support the car....

haha... again?

freekazoid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Take local Msia school...not an option?