• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Early retirement in JB

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh good point raised! I haven't considered this part.

Yes, true. When we get insulted by the foreigners whom he gave citizenship or PR status to, I don't remember hearing him openly advising these new citizens to understand and accept our culture here.

Instead, the last I remembered, instead, he was telling Singaporeans to HELP these new citizens and integrate with them!

Haha... Got such thing?!

I don't know of any government in the world will behave in this way. Imagine in the US, immigrants from different countries bring their own cultures there, speak in their own languages, can't speak English never mind. I tell you, there will be blood and protests everywhere.

This SG government has been given too much power!

Yeah you can try looking at him from all angles and see whether can find one good aspect about his leadership. For example, compare LHL with the newly minted Indonesia president Jokowi and see how magnanimous the latter is towards a 24 year old citizen who allegedly defamed him on internet. And then look at how LHL treated Roy.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2014/11/01/jokowi-forgives-a-man-who-insulted-him.html

Last edited:

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
I also donno why the govt is so sensitive and tight-lip about CPF and the reserves that Temasek Holdings are holding. It just makes me feel uncomfortable putting my money into those channels.

Imagine you pass cash to your relative to invest and he has been evasive in his answers when you asked him about the accounts. How would you feel?

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I also donno why the govt is so sensitive and tight-lip about CPF and the reserves that Temasek Holdings are holding. It just makes me feel uncomfortable putting my money into those channels.

Imagine you pass cash to your relative to invest and he has been evasive in his answers when you asked him about the accounts. How would you feel?

To hold the wild card to deter speculative attacks. Out of 3 major reserves, the public only knows 2.

Vohkster

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
On one hand Malaysia EPF just declared dividend rate of 6.75%, highest since 1999. On the other hand, we just witnessed a farcial kangaroo court sentencing of a Opposition Leader based one sided evidence. Guess we can't have the best of both worlds can we?

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
To hold the wild card to deter speculative attacks. Out of 3 major reserves, the public only knows 2.

Apparently, the transparent Norwegians are not impressed with the official reason, and neither am I.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/tan-...re-first-world-vs-third-world/722118654534079

Differences with GIC are very stark:

(1) Norway's SWF reports to Parliament which scrutinises it and requires it to publish all relevant information at regular intervals such as the size of its funds, its performance, cost of management, its investment strategy and ethical guidelines. On the other hand, GIC does not report to Parliament who has no authority to scrutinise it. The Government claims that it is a private company even though it manages public money. It publishes at its convenience and chooses what it wants to let the public know.

(2) The obvious big secret of GIC is the size of its funds. When we told Bjorn that the official reason for non-disclosure is to prevent speculative attacks on our Sing$ currency like what George Soros did to sterling some years back, he smiled diplomatically. He said the only reason to fear speculator attacks is if the currency is weak. The Norwegian kroner is appreciating and has not been subject to speculative attacks. We added that the Sing$ is also strong and the MAS has to moderate its appreciation all the time.

(3) Norway publishes the performance of its SWF annually with quarterly updates. GIC selectively discloses its average annual rate of return in 5-year and 20-year blocks but without the annual figures nor figures from its inception in 1981 (as far as I can recall). I also recall that sometimes it presented its performance in US$ and S$ but in another year only in US$. This inconsistency makes year to year comparison very difficult.

gooddebt

Alfrescian
Loyal
Apparently, the transparent Norwegians are not impressed with the official reason, and neither am I.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/tan-...re-first-world-vs-third-world/722118654534079

Differences with GIC are very stark:

(1) Norway's SWF reports to Parliament which scrutinises it and requires it to publish all relevant information at regular intervals such as the size of its funds, its performance, cost of management, its investment strategy and ethical guidelines. On the other hand, GIC does not report to Parliament who has no authority to scrutinise it. The Government claims that it is a private company even though it manages public money. It publishes at its convenience and chooses what it wants to let the public know.

(2) The obvious big secret of GIC is the size of its funds. When we told Bjorn that the official reason for non-disclosure is to prevent speculative attacks on our Sing$ currency like what George Soros did to sterling some years back, he smiled diplomatically. He said the only reason to fear speculator attacks is if the currency is weak. The Norwegian kroner is appreciating and has not been subject to speculative attacks. We added that the Sing$ is also strong and the MAS has to moderate its appreciation all the time.

(3) Norway publishes the performance of its SWF annually with quarterly updates. GIC selectively discloses its average annual rate of return in 5-year and 20-year blocks but without the annual figures nor figures from its inception in 1981 (as far as I can recall). I also recall that sometimes it presented its performance in US$ and S$ but in another year only in US$. This inconsistency makes year to year comparison very difficult.

To be fair, S$ may not remain strong forever and may one day be weaker than its market rate and be susceptible to attacks ?

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
dun understand...why not disclose n clarify over the ST, their favourite mouthpiece ? Something is real fishy .

They once told the Peoples' President that it took some 50+ years to tabulate and calculate the reserves ( to that extent ).

Really make my day. When the next chap came over to replace the Peoples President, the reserve hoo-haa got swept under the carpet.

Even Malaysia 1MDB massive losses are publicised and criticised. Singapore got a long way to catch up ( not saying Malaysia govt is saint here )

gooddebt

Alfrescian
Loyal
They once told the Peoples' President that it took some 50+ years to tabulate and calculate the reserves ( to that extent ).

Really make my day. When the next chap came over to replace the Peoples President, the reserve hoo-haa got swept under the carpet.

Even Malaysia 1MDB massive losses are publicised and criticised. Singapore got a long way to catch up ( not saying Malaysia govt is saint here )

Even if they dun disclose the amount, they could have explained the reason for not disclosing properly over the ST...

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even if they dun disclose the amount, they could have explained the reason for not disclosing properly over the ST...

The reason is available. Many trolls just ignore them for their own agenda :wink:

Why doesn’t Government reveal the overall size of our reserves?

It is not in our national interest to disclose the full amount of Singapore’s Financial Reserves. Full disclosure will make it easier for markets to mount speculative attacks on the Singapore dollar during periods of vulnerability. Furthermore, as a small country with no natural resources or other assets, our reserves are a key defence for Singapore in times of crisis. It would be unwise to reveal the full and exact resources at our disposal. Thus, confidential information of the exact figures must remain undisclosed as this is crucial to the survival of Singapore, especially in times of crisis.

http://www.gov.sg/government/web/co...lly/Factually-310812-Whatcomprisesourreserves

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even if they don't want to reveal to the sons of the soils, at least they should reveal to Ong Teng Cheong, the President whoses job is to oversee the reserve. So what "Speculative attacks" are they referring to? Are they hinting that the Guardian of the Reserve cannot be trusted?

gooddebt

Alfrescian
Loyal
The reason is available. Many trolls just ignore them for their own agenda :wink:

Why doesn’t Government reveal the overall size of our reserves?

It is not in our national interest to disclose the full amount of Singapore’s Financial Reserves. Full disclosure will make it easier for markets to mount speculative attacks on the Singapore dollar during periods of vulnerability. Furthermore, as a small country with no natural resources or other assets, our reserves are a key defence for Singapore in times of crisis. It would be unwise to reveal the full and exact resources at our disposal. Thus, confidential information of the exact figures must remain undisclosed as this is crucial to the survival of Singapore, especially in times of crisis.

http://www.gov.sg/government/web/co...lly/Factually-310812-Whatcomprisesourreserves

My point is why not clarify this in the newspapers instead of their website only ? Or did they ? Not all folks read their website or have access to the web .

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
My point is why not clarify this in the newspapers instead of their website only ? Or did they ? Not all folks read their website or have access to the web .

My point is also that Norway is a small country too, and obviously the Norwegians are very sceptical of the official reason as per Tan Jee Say's article. Also this official reason seems to have only been adopted by Singapore, and no other countries? Uniquely SG?

Just want to clarify that I am not totally anti-PAP, and I feel they have done well in certain areas esp after the shock by-election defeat. But the CPF low return issue and secretive operations of GIC leaves much to be desired.

Last edited:

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah you can try looking at him from all angles and see whether can find one good aspect about his leadership. For example, compare LHL with the newly minted Indonesia president Jokowi and see how magnanimous the latter is towards a 24 year old citizen who allegedly defamed him on internet. And then look at how LHL treated Roy.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2014/11/01/jokowi-forgives-a-man-who-insulted-him.html

Haha... yes, the Indonesian president is so forgiving. Even the US president was made fun of countless times. Imagine, the world's most powerful leader.

If it happened to LHL, we all know what he would do.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
The SG government also would not reveal the cost of building HDB flats. Many asked for it in the past but the PAP was tight-lipped about it. Is it stated on any of their websites why this is so?

Surprisingly, I remember a minister did mention actually, HDB is making a loss from the sale and building of HDB flats. I find it hard to believe. Are they playing with words or is there a loophole somewhere?

The prices of HDB flats have risen exponentially over the past few years. When a person or couple buy a new or resale BTO flat, they will likely take HDB loans. Suppose a flat cost $250,000 in the past, and 5 years later, it's $500,000. No thanks to the PAP for the screw up as they allowed the prices of public housing to appreciate like some kind of speculative stock market.

Big Question: How does HDB not earn from the buyer if he takes an 80% loan of the $500k amount? If they controlled the pricing better, and say the price was $300k instead, the loan amount would be lesser. Which means HDB would make less!

This was the game HDB/MND played back in 2007 to 2011. They refused to build more BTO flats despite knowing there was a huge increase in new immigrants they granted PR or SG citizenship status.

LHL got the cheek to say he thought the infrastructure could cope. Really? He is a first class Honours Maths graduate from the prestigious Cambridge University. He couldn't count the supply of flats did not meet the demand for them? I find it so hard to believe!

So those who needed to get married or buy a flat had no choice but to empty their CPF accounts and take out hefty loans from HDB for like 25-30 years. (For some, pay till they become grandparents!)

To add salt to the wound, HDB even collaborated with private developers and ask them to bid for land. Then HDB left everything to the private guys... from design, to build and even price the flats! Being private companies, naturally they want to make profits also. So the prices were all inflated. And HDB just stood one side and say, Not our problem. You deal with the private developer. In other words, they had already sold the land, get their $$$, wash hands clean clean.

And the government could tell us they don't make profits from HDB flats? Hmmm... hard to believe leh....

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
My point is also that Norway is a small country too, and obviously the Norwegians are very sceptical of the official reason as per Tan Jee Say's article. Also this official reason seems to have only been adopted by Singapore, and no other countries? Uniquely SG?

Just want to clarify that I am not totally anti-PAP, and I feel they have done well in certain areas esp after the shock by-election defeat. But the CPF low return issue and secretive operations of GIC leaves much to be desired.

You mean them building more BTOs and MRT/bus? I think they are just doing things to try to solve the problems that they themselves created, so cannot be considered as done well. PG Card is one time offer and not permanent change. Other fundamental issues have seen only superficial changes, for example implementing guidelines instead of proper manpower laws on hiring of Singaporeans first.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

This was the game HDB/MND played back in 2007 to 2011. They refused to build more BTO flats despite knowing there was a huge increase in new immigrants they granted PR or SG citizenship status.

LHL got the cheek to say he thought the infrastructure could cope. Really? He is a first class Honours Maths graduate from the prestigious Cambridge University. He couldn't count the supply of flats did not meet the demand for them? I find it so hard to believe!

Haha looks like he can't count indeed. I also think it is very hard to believe.

kopikong99

Alfrescian
Loyal