• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Accountant who claimed retired policeman attacked him at rally calls for appeal

OneStepCloser

Alfrescian
Loyal

Accountant who claimed retired policeman attacked him at rally calls for appeal

PUBLISHED : Monday, 27 January, 2014, 4:30am
UPDATED : Monday, 27 January, 2014, 5:52pm

Ernest Kao [email protected]

attacklam.jpg

Simon Wan shows a video of the 'attack'. Photo: Nora Tam

An accountant who was allegedly attacked during a heated rally over the swearing-teacher affair last year will ask the Department of Justice to consider an appeal.

The move comes four days after Kwun Tong Court cleared the retired police sergeant who was accused of grabbing and shoving Simon Wan Ka-sing of charges of common assault dating to October last year.

Yeung Chi-wai, 58, denied three charges of common assault by claiming he had been trying to pull Wan out of harm's way during a clash between supporters and opponents of primary school teacher Alpais Lam Wai-sze.

Both groups staged rallies in Mong Kok, after an online video of Lam verbally attacking police officers over their handling of a Falun Gong protest went viral a month earlier.

But Wan, 33, yesterday said he was not satisfied with the court's "strange" decision and felt there was still a case to be heard.

"I feel there should be a more appropriate ruling and I am requesting an appeal through the Department of Justice," he said.

"The explanation that he was trying to pull me away to safety just does not hold weight. He was one of the retired police officers participating in the event whose views were counter to those supporting [Lam]. It's hard to believe he did that as a good deed."

Wan also argues the strength with which he was pushed hurt his shoulder and did not appear to be a gesture of goodwill.

Principal Magistrate Ernest Lin Kam-hung said bodily contact between the defendant and the two witnesses was "indisputable" but there was insufficient proof the defendant acted with an intent to impose violence.

A video of the incident shows Yeung yanking Wan by the shirt and pushing him into the crowd, right after Wan had made a thumbs-down gesture.

"My concern is that in this time of greater political tensions, more indistinct common assault cases will happen during rallies between pro and anti-government supporters," Wan said.

Yau Tsim Mong district councillor Lam Ho-yeung, who is assisting Wan, said an appeal had a 50/50 chance of success.

The department could not be reached for comment last night.