• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Buah Luku & Buah Langsat

jw5

Loyal
Does anyone else here like these 2 fruits?
I only know them by these names, does anyone else know the English or Chinese names?

These 2 fruits are very delicious, why are they only sold in Singapore and Malaysia and why are they not used for deserts and fruit juices like other fruits?

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Buah Langsat/Duku is same fruits and is called Lansium in English.
Chinese I not sure but I saw it in China.

kitkat

Alfrescian
Loyal
whats buah langsat?
any pic to show?<!-- / message -->

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lansium_domesticum

Fruits are ovoid, roundish orbs around five centimeters in diameter, usually found in clusters of two to thirty fruits. Each round fruit is covered by yellowish, thick, leathery skin. Underneath the skin, the fruit is divided into five or six slices of translucent, juicy flesh. The flesh is slightly acidic in taste, although ripe specimens are sweeter. Green, seeds are present in around half of the segments, usually taking up a small portion of the segment although some seeds take up the entire segment's volume. In contrast with the sweet-sour flavor of the fruit's flesh, the seeds are extremely bitter.The sweet juicy flesh contains sucrose, saccharose, fructose and glucose.[1]

Himerus

Alfrescian
Loyal
bro jw5,

you are so creative,come up with this idea of extracting the juices from it.
maybe some hawkers here see it and they will experiment with it.
who knows,we may have some bottle luku/langsat juices.

kitkat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does anyone else here like these 2 fruits?
I only know them by these names, does anyone else know the English or Chinese names?

These 2 fruits are very delicious, why are they only sold in Singapore and Malaysia and why are they not used for deserts and fruit juices like other fruits?

I don't like them. The malays called it Duku Langsat. English or rather scientific name is Lansium domesticum. I don't think this fruit is known in the western world. You can't really make juice out of them, and they don't blend into deserts.

kitkat

Alfrescian
Loyal
how about buah Ciku????

Buah ciku is like the Kiwi fruit of south east asia. This is buah ciku:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapodilla

Sapodilla was formerly often known by the invalid name Achras sapota. It is known as chikoo or sapota in India, sofeda in Eastern India & Bangladesh, chikoo (also spelled "chikku," "चिक्कू," "chiku," "चीकू," or "ciku") in South Asia and Pakistan, chico in the Philippines, sawo in Indonesia, ciku in Malaysia, hồng xiêm (xa pô chê) in Vietnam, sapodilla in Guyana sapodilla or rata-mi in Sri Lanka, lamoot (ละมุด) in Thailand and Cambodia, níspero in Colombia, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Dominican Republic and Venezuela, nípero in Cuba and Dominican Republic, dilly in the Bahamas, naseberry in the rest of the West Indies, and sapoti in Brazil. In Kelantanese Malay, the fruit is called "sawo nilo" which is closer to the original name than the standard Malay "ciku".

kitkat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Langsat: Don't eat the seeds. They are very bitter :(

2444937677_bf5594c0b3.jpg

ANDYSIAO14

Alfrescian
Loyal
ahh...buahs thread....
share something but off topic about langsat and ciku...:wink:

This is good for making into those Baba's food :p ( chicken with buah keluak )

Buah Keluak :biggrin:

2435154c4b50da136b63eb00d347a56e735b4bb.jpg

cook into

2435189becd47112c9ce2bbeeb3926bc43119bd.jpg

Lunch 2nd Round Anyone ??? :p :p :p