• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Preparation for Haze days II

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After the fiasco with the haze problem I started preparing for the next one. One of the things I've done is to get a Honeywell air filter with true HEPA from Amazon, this model:

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-502...587708&sr=8-2&keywords=honeywell+air+purifier

I also got an extra carbon prefilters, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046L57WA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It cost me SIN$409 with shipping & gst. It took 1 week to arrive. from the US. It runs on 120V which is no problem for me as I already have a step down convertor. You can get a transformer from Sim Lim for $60 to $160 depending on watts & the number of output plugs.

I took a look at the local stores but couldn't find anything that was cheap & effective. There was a $400 unit at Courts by a company name name Io but didn't know how effective it was. The Honeywell models that are available in Spore have a lower CADR rating. The doughnut shape Honeywell model I chose has a CADR rating of 250 for smoke, dust & pollen. Can get the replacement HEPA & carbon replacement filters at reasonable cost from Amazon.

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Please consider sharp with ionizer.
as far as I know sharp with inonizer is the best air filter system in the world.

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Edit :
Ahhh glad to see Johnny has had no problems with this. Nonetheless, I would still like to highlight this issue anyway, for the benefit of others reading this thread, and considering buying online from Amazon.com.

Warning :

If you're purchasing your air filter machine from Amazon.com (instead of ordering through Best Denki or Harvey Norman), which are meant for American or European voltages, be sure you buy voltage transformers or converters (technical difference, but either is ok), before you plug in and turn on your air filter machine, or you might end up with an explosion in your house (which would, among other things, exacerbate your haze problem).

Last edited:

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I dont understand why do you need to go through such problem? can you avoid it by buying from amazon.co.uk?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Edit :
Ahhh glad to see Johnny has had no problems with this. Nonetheless, I would still like to highlight this issue anyway, for the benefit of others reading this thread, and considering buying online from Amazon.com.

Warning :

If you're purchasing your air filter machine from Amazon.com (instead of ordering through Best Denki or Harvey Norman), which are meant for American or European voltages, be sure you buy voltage transformers or converters (technical difference, but either is ok), before you plug in and turn on your air filter machine, or you might end up with an explosion in your house (which would, among other things, exacerbate your haze problem).

Before ordering from Amazon I did take a look at the Honeywell models being sold at Best Denki the models 170E1,18200, 18250, and 18450. The prices range from SIN$499 to SIN$859. However these models spec wise are inferior to the donut shaped model I bought from the US. The CADR rating of the units available locally is from 130 to 195. The 50250 is not only cheaper, it also has the higher CADR rating of 250.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Please consider sharp with ionizer.
as far as I know sharp with inonizer is the best air filter system in the world.

Originally I was looking at the Sharp models but if you look further into this, there is a potential problem with air ionizers affecting people negatively e.g. people who have breathing problems.
If you do get a system with an ionizer make sure you can turn it off & use the ionizer feature when no one is in the room

The important thing is that you get a TRUE HEPA filter & that's what I got. The Honeywell brand has been around for decades & whats important is being able to get filter replacements and maybe that is why the filters are cheaper because of economies of scale. Sharp is relatively new & Novita is even worse because they are newbies. During the haze I remember that all the stocks in Spore were sold out:eek: I don't see that happening in the US because there are so many alternative brands in the US.

I may try out some of these alternatives. The important thing to me is the cost of the HEPA filters.

Last edited:

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
brother johnny.
Product Electical: 2-75W A19 Medium Base (18W CFL)

where to get this adapter? i don't want my flat on fire

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
brother johnny.
Product Electical: 2-75W A19 Medium Base (18W CFL)

where to get this adapter? i don't want my flat on fire

I'm not that familiar with light bubs. Try looking at the electrical shops around Serangoon Rd, Balestier Rd, etc.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
After the fiasco with the haze problem I started preparing for the next one. One of the things I've done is to get a Honeywell air filter with true HEPA from Amazon, this model:

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-502...587708&sr=8-2&keywords=honeywell+air+purifier

I also got an extra carbon prefilters, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046L57WA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It cost me SIN$409 with shipping & gst. It took 1 week to arrive. from the US. It runs on 120V which is no problem for me as I already have a step down convertor. You can get a transformer from Sim Lim for $60 to $160 depending on watts & the number of output plugs.

I took a look at the local stores but couldn't find anything that was cheap & effective. There was a $400 unit at Courts by a company name name Io but didn't know how effective it was. The Honeywell models that are available in Spore have a lower CADR rating. The doughnut shape Honeywell model I chose has a CADR rating of 250 for smoke, dust & pollen. Can get the replacement HEPA & carbon replacement filters at reasonable cost from Amazon.

Now that the haze is half year later, no motivation to buy...but is the filter easy to fix up? and direct shipping from USA to Spore by Amazon or you used Vpost?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Now that the haze is half year later, no motivation to buy...but is the filter easy to fix up? and direct shipping from USA to Spore by Amazon or you used Vpost?

Many of the air filter product like Holmes, Whirlpool, Winix, Coway,.. can only be shipped in the US. Even some Honeywell models like the 1700. I have no idea why:confused:

However there is no such problem with the Honeywell 50250. Amazon will send it directly to your Spore address without you having to use a 3rd party freight forwarder
No need to use a 3rd party freight forwarder. They charged me SIN$165.69 for shipping to my home. It is not very heavy just bulky.

I have always planned on getting an air filter because. I do regular cleaning of my aircon filters & I find that the filters are often clogged with stuff.:eek: So there is deifintely dust in the room.
My place is also near to a busy road & I know people who don't smoke coming down with lung cancer:eek: So even without the haze I will be using the unit.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
the Sharp one is still the best...oredi bought mine...cant trust the PAP ....:biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the Sharp one is still the best...oredi bought mine...cant trust the PAP ....:biggrin:

Actually if cost was not an issue I would have bought a BlueAir. It is a Swedish company. The units are made of metal & the units are very quiet. The smallest unit cost is about $560. Even their cheapest model is bigger than a sharp. What you should be looking at is the filter surface area and the Blueair filter is larger than the one in a Sharp unit. It is a good brand but the filter replacements are more expensive.

If you are looking for cheaper prices better than Best Denki or just want to window shop go take a look at what is available visit http://www.mjhub.biz/air-purifiers/
I think it is a local company.

Last edited:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many of the air filter product like Holmes, Whirlpool, Winix, Coway,.. can only be shipped in the US. Even some Honeywell models like the 1700. I have no idea why:confused:

However there is no such problem with the Honeywell 50250. Amazon will send it directly to your Spore address without you having to use a 3rd party freight forwarder
No need to use a 3rd party freight forwarder. They charged me SIN$165.69 for shipping to my home. It is not very heavy just bulky.

I have always planned on getting an air filter because. I do regular cleaning of my aircon filters & I find that the filters are often clogged with stuff.:eek: So there is deifintely dust in the room.
My place is also near to a busy road & I know people who don't smoke coming down with lung cancer:eek: So even without the haze I will be using the unit.

Sounds good, thanks for the advice.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you can't afford a decent air purifier you may want to consider getting some 3M Filtrete filters. They look something like this
http://www.amazon.com/Filtrete-Cond...UTF8&qid=1389706915&sr=8-13&keywords=filtrete

You can cut it to fit over the aircon outlets or your fan & create a simple make shift air filter. You can get it from the hardware store like Handifix, I think they are going for $15? While I was in Pattaya & browsing around a household store I saw them selling for under $10 for two bags.

You could of course wait until the haze problem is here again before getting all these thins together but remember what happened during the haze. They all sold out very quickly.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

What is use of it?? The moment you walk out of door. Or walking on street >>> all air around u will breath into u lung.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What is use of it?? The moment you walk out of door. Or walking on street >>> all air around u will breath into u lung.

Who knows what the long term consequence to the haze will cause? Smoking is known to cause emphysema, chronic bronchitis. heart attacks, strokes. lung cancer,....

It's up to the individual to decide if their own long term health is worth the trouble of spending $$ & taking precautions. Those willing to invest in an air filter will no doubt also be willing to spend on a N95 mask. For me the benefits of an air purifier can be shared with my family, so of course it's worth it to me.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

I saw this on promotion in Best denki and bought it at $299, comes with one extra free 99.97% True Hepa filter. Looks nice but not sure what kind of rating..

http://www.lioncityco.com/product_info.php?products_id=4596