• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Another long time business closes it's doors

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Was visiting Funan & found that South Asia Computers has closed it's doors for good. It's closure surprise many as there were no closing down sales. Just a sign thanking customers for their support.

A victim of the recession or another a victim rising rentals:confused:

B Man

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually it could be neither.

Like some of my business buddies moan that there is none in their family that wants to take over, all preferring to work in offices and not risk it or stay away overseas.

Only logical choice is close shop and retire. You will see a lot more in the next few years when more of such old men retire and have noone to hand over to. Most of these are post WW2 folk (and biz) in the old retirement age.

Was visiting Funan & found that South Asia Computers has closed it's doors for good. It's closure surprise many as there were no closing down sales. Just a sign thanking customers for their support.

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wasn't South Asia Computers run by Ah Nehs? If so, I say good riddance to it.

Probably got done in by a double killer blow of high rental and Challenger sucking up its business.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Like some of my business buddies moan that there is none in their family that wants to take over, all preferring to work in offices and not risk it or stay away overseas.

Only logical choice is close shop and retire. You will see a lot more in the next few years when more of such old men retire and have noone to hand over to. Most of these are post WW2 folk (and biz) in the old retirement age.

They could have sold the business to a third party.

However, what you have mentioned will be a real problem for the food sellers and the various craftsmen: bakers, tailors, cobblers, carpenters etc. No disciples and no apprentices.

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Agree.

My beef noodles and music cds business closed down as none of my children were willing to take over, opting for more cushy jobs at the office !

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
South Asia Computers own by a Sinkie guy and his Taiwanese wife right? Its a pity as I believe it was one of the flagship stores in Funan

I'm not really that surprised as the stuff that they are selling are just plain vanilla IT stuff and they are no longer price competitive. Their photography products simply cannot sell because the shops at Funan are pricing the cameras way below the RRP. Even Harvey Norman at the basement can meet your price when you tell them you can get the same price upstairs. If I want variety, I would go to Challenger upstairs and they are also becoming more competitive in pricing their cameras. You can also see that the IT shops in Sim Lim and Funan are dominated by 2 - 3 players. So how to compete?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Dunno if it's a succession thing? However if it's a succession problem I would think that it would make more sense to sell the business & not to just close the doors. The food court at Funan also had a few empty stalls including the ex-chicken rice stall.

It is worse in Sim Lim Square. It's really bad there with many empty shops.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... If I want variety, I would go to Challenger upstairs and they are also becoming more competitive in pricing their cameras. You can also see that the IT shops in Sim Lim and Funan are dominated by 2 - 3 players. So how to compete?

The prices at Challenger is still high & it would only make sense to become a member before buying anything. They have started their own in-house brand named Valore.

Few people are buying PCs & their peripherals. Nowadays it's more about iPads, tablets, smartphones,....

Last edited:

maxxi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Borders
Pageone
Avalon
A&W
WIMPY
Walmart
HMV
Gramaphone
Manolo Blanik
Harry Ramden's
Carrefour

Are you sure we are richest ?

B Man

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I recall correctly many years ago, when it was still a small shop in the old Funan centre, it was run by a local uncle and auntie couple. Their prices were not low but they were well stocked.

Wasn't South Asia Computers run by Ah Nehs? If so, I say good riddance to it.

Probably got done in by a double killer blow of high rental and Challenger sucking up its business.

B Man

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree.

Most young ones do not want to slave hard. Rather they prefer the Air con bank or offices.

My pals are in the heavy industry/machinery business, dried goods and Chinese medical products business.

Turnover is very respectable but none of the children want to do it because "its too hard and not glam(!)".

Oddly working in a bank and berated like a slave and paid pittance is "glam"

Agree.

My beef noodles and music cds business closed down as none of my children were willing to take over, opting for more cushy jobs at the office !

Last edited:

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree.

Most young ones do not want to slave hard. Rather they prefer the Air con bank or offices.

My pals are in the heavy industry/machinery business, dried goods and Chinese medical products business.

Turnover is very respectable but none of the children want to do it because "its too hard and not glam(!)".

Oddly working in a bank and berated like a slave and paid pittance is "glam"

less pressure, life long employment assured, bonuses and inflation adjusted pay rise plus promotions. almost 9-5.

B Man

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of the four points you posted, I think none of them applies these days. The banks and companies will just retrench you when they feel the need to show positive bottom line.

Bonuses? The only people giving that is govt services these days in these economic climate.

less pressure, life long employment assured, bonuses and inflation adjusted pay rise plus promotions. almost 9-5.

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Small and medium business that hire local will not be able to survive. The ah nehs and chinese immigrant bosses will hire their own and pay their workers enough to want to work and live in Singapore for many years until the workers retire overseas and then new one will come to take their place. These ah neh and chinese immigrant bosses can make a lot more money here from small and medium business than back home. You only have to look at the middle east to know what happens when you allow ah nehs or foreigners uncontrolled access into your economy. They control the small and medium enterprises there.

Not only are middle-class Singaporeans being replaced by cheaper workers but small and medium companies here will also be replaced by foreign bosses and companies. In another 15 years, small and medium businesses with big income potential will be largely held by foreigners in Singapore. Singaporeans will only own those companies that make ok profit. The PAP has screwed Singaporeans gloriously. Only way to make money here is by exclusive dealership and rents of properties.

B Man

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually no.. most of the retail shops are run by a Johor-based Malaysian lady. She was quite successful in growing her business slowly over many years. Just look for the "sign" in the shops..

the smaller repair shops in the rear are a mix of locals and Indians.

ah nehs now run a large chunk of Sim Lim.

Last edited:

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree.

And yet, everyday you are asking for your CPF to be returned to you. Aren't you already your own boss?

Last edited:

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
close down becoz no family member take over ???

if the business is profitable, can easily sell to other people mah............

South Asia, judging from the name should be Indian lah...............then it's a God-send lor.....

music cd business ah.............it's not just a sunset business, it's already midnight !

as long as business profitable and worth doing, can find people to buy............:cool: