• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What are the costs involved in setting up a business website?

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'll like to set up a website for my business. Does anyone know what's the costs involved? It seems that there's hosting costs, web designer fees, SEO fees. How expensive is it to maintain a website annually? Please help, I'm totally new to this.

Unbeatable

Alfrescian
Loyal
Domain name roughly USD 10
Hosting costs depending on the package available
If you are new to this, I would suggest you try free word press blog before getting on for your real deal.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I'll like to set up a website for my business. Does anyone know what's the costs involved? It seems that there's hosting costs, web designer fees, SEO fees. How expensive is it to maintain a website annually? Please help, I'm totally new to this.

Why can't you set it up on facebook? Is there a specific reason why you need a domain name and a custom designed site.

If you're selling items and collecting payment over the net, you can use www.shopify.com The only costs involved would be in getting your CC processor and/or Paypal integration up and running. http://www.shopify.com/payment-gateways/singapore

Web designers are starving to death nowadays because it is so easy to get a website going that anyone can do it. I should know I used to be one.

If your website traffic is low, you can probably get by with a USD9.95 per month hosting package.

If traffic is high and you need a dedicated server, costs start at around USD100 per month.

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why can't you set it up on facebook? Is there a specific reason why you need a domain name and a custom designed site.

If you're selling items and collecting payment over the net, you can use www.shopify.com The only costs involved would be in getting your CC processor and/or Paypal integration up and running. http://www.shopify.com/payment-gateways/singapore

Web designers are starving to death nowadays because it is so easy to get a website going that anyone can do it. I should know I used to be one.

If your website traffic is low, you can probably get by with a USD9.95 per month hosting package.

If traffic is high and you need a dedicated server, costs start at around USD100 per month.

My purpose of the website is to advertise a service and I want the website to be easily found online. No selling online.

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you are new to this, I would suggest you try free word press blog before getting on for your real deal.

Is it wordpress.com or wordpress.org? Could my website be easily found online if my service doesn't have much competition?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
My purpose of the website is to advertise a service and I want the website to be easily found online. No selling online.

In that case just a cheap webhosting package at bluehost or hostgator or godaddy and install Wordpress. You should be able to do it from within fantastico which should be part of your hosting suite.

There are thousands of wordpress themes that you can download fro free. Google "wordpress themes".

If you want a professional look and feel, you may have to hire someone with experience in graphic design to do the job for you. Check out sites like elance.com. There are loads of freelancers who will quote you a turnkey job or an hourly rate.

If you do everything yourself using free templates, you won't have to spend more than your monthly hosting fee. If you need professional help, it can cost anything from $100 to $2000 or more. It all depends upon the reputation and the quality of the work of the designer you hire.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Is it wordpress.com or wordpress.org? Could my website be easily found online if my service doesn't have much competition?

Wordpress.com is a hosting site. Wordpress.org is the home of Wordpress.

If your service is unique and the world already knows of the existence of such a service, they'll be able to find you via search engines when they enter the keywords that are related to your service.

If your service is unique and nobody has heard of it, then they won't be searching for it so you'll need to set aside a budget for advertising.

Unbeatable

Alfrescian
Loyal

IMO, wordpress.com for you to register.
Keywords are the most important issue in domain name as keywords determine website effectiveness.
The higher you rank in the search engine, the more FREE traffic you will have. TRAFFIC is the life-blood of any website.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wordpress.com is a hosting site. Wordpress.org is the home of Wordpress.

If your service is unique and the world already knows of the existence of such a service, they'll be able to find you via search engines when they enter the keywords that are related to your service.

If your service is unique and nobody has heard of it, then they won't be searching for it so you'll need to set aside a budget for advertising.

How about SEO? What do you know about improving the 'visibility' of a website?

JuliaScissors

Alfrescian
Loyal

I have done a couple for friends foc (because my graphics skills sucks LOL) and used http://on.sg for all. Used the $200 for 2 yrs hosting package which was good enough for them including forum functionality. A wordpress site can be set up in 5 minutes but to make it look nice it's best to get some professional template(s).

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
How about SEO? What do you know about improving the 'visibility' of a website?

No know nothing beyond the basics. Never did anything to improve the visibility of my sites. I just allowed nature to take its course.

There are plenty of SEO "experts" out there but most of them sell Koyok.

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks all for the advice given, i've decided to engage a designer to do it as it's crucial for me to get the service well advertised and easily found online. I'll experiment with Wordpress for other ideas :smile:

Cost wise, I'll compare a few and I guess the maximum cost may be incurred from SEO

Last edited:

markjacks

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you're still a startup, I'd recommend trying out the shared hosting package first since that one is affordable, thus you can easily hit on the eject button if ever.
1.gif

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wordpress is rather powerful and useful tool to set up websites, even e-commerce ones.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks all for the advice given, i've decided to engage a designer to do it as it's crucial for me to get the service well advertised and easily found online. I'll experiment with Wordpress for other ideas :smile:

Cost wise, I'll compare a few and I guess the maximum cost may be incurred from SEO
There's some grant available for SME's better claim as its your money afterall.

D

Deleted member 178254

As a business owner, I can say it's not cheap to build a website and optimize it but it's impossible to run a business without a website so...