• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What things are cheaper in JB?

checkers

Alfrescian
Loyal
Things may be cheaper but not better. I would pay more for better Japanese food especially sashimi in SG. I would pay more for fresher beef and steak in SG.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
e
Ya, things are really cheap in JB. If only the security is better.

Only those earning S$ may tink so. Cos my Msian friend doesnt tink so. Even though hes earning excess of M$2k mthly. Now hes contemplating looking for a job in Spore....

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
e

Only those earning S$ may tink so. Cos my Msian friend doesnt tink so. Even though hes earning excess of M$2k mthly. Now hes contemplating looking for a job in Spore....

$2k RM is very hard to survive in JB now, unless spouse is also earning at least the amount. $5k RM household income still can afford a car and a small house, but it will be very tough on the wife if there are kids to look after. I think the birth-rate might drop in JB.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
e

My friend drove a car with her sisters from Pulai to Singapore to work every morning. She is earning around 2K sgd. It about RM5000 ! When you look at the job market in JB alone. A experienced clerk or admin might nett you around 1200RM to 2000RM. A car mechanic might nett around 3K if you know your stuff really well.

But on the upside, their housing are all on free hold. Their cars are damn cheap. Sometimes, it is the expectation of these people who landed themselves into trouble. It not about not being able to cope with the rising cost in Johore.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But on the upside, their housing are all on free hold. Their cars are damn cheap. Sometimes, it is the expectation of these people who landed themselves into trouble. It not about not being able to cope with the rising cost in Johore.

Very true. Always spend within ur means.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
$2k RM is very hard to survive in JB now, unless spouse is also earning at least the amount. $5k RM household income still can afford a car and a small house, but it will be very tough on the wife if there are kids to look after. I think the birth-rate might drop in JB.

Betul juga. My friend said he doesnt mind wat kind of job though hes educated. Jadi Jaga (certis) pun boleh. Only interested mthly remuneration. I told him to try SBS/SMRT driver post. :smile:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
M'sians to pay more for power from next year
Govt hikes charges as it tries to put its subsidy rationalisation plan back on track
By pauline ng in Kuala Lumpur
Published December 03, 2013

MALAYSIANS will pay much higher electricity charges from next year - domestic tariffs will rise by 15 per cent and commercial and industrial tariffs by an average of 17 per cent - as the country tries to put its long-delayed subsidy rationalisation programme back on track after this year's general election.

Special industrial tariff users such as steel companies will be harder hit, by 19 per cent or nearly a fifth more.

The announcement, which came amid earlier hints of higher prices to come, was made by Energy Minister Maximus Ongkili in parliament yesterday.

But Mr Ongkili gave his assurance that the tariff hike would not affect those who use less than 300 kWj a month, which by state-owned utility Tenaga Nasional's calculations amounts to 4.6 million users or 71 per cent of all households.

Following the 4.99 sen (1.9 Singapore cents) hike in the peninsula, electricity rates will rise to an average 38.53 sen per kWj - still 9 per cent lower than the actual cost of 42 sen kWj. The five sen increase in tariff for Sabah and Labuan amounts to a 17 per cent hike.

Although higher prices are inevitable given that Prime Minister Najib Razak had largely put them on hold for two to three years pending the general election in May, the backlash could be considerable as a significant proportion of businesses and the public already struggle with everyday costs despite inflation being a benign 2.8-3 per cent. Few take the official rate seriously however and many grapple with debt.

At 83 per cent of gross domestic product (GDP), Malaysia's household debt is one of the highest in the region.

The implementation of a minimum wage has also added to business costs, and many expect that cost increases will be largely passed on to consumers.

One beneficiary of the power increase will be Tenaga, which was up 0.3 per cent before its shares were suspended to facilitate the announcement.

In September, Mr Najib had bumped up the price of petrol and diesel by nearly 11 per cent as he sought to convince international investors of his administration's seriousness in tackling Malaysia's huge subsidy bill as well as fiscal reforms to the economy.

But the measure was met with lukewarm enthusiasm with rating agencies viewing it as relatively minor and cautioning more had to be done to ensure Malaysia's sovereign ratings remain intact.

While Mr Najib, who is also the finance minister, has gradually trimmed the budget deficit to 3.5 per cent of GDP this year, he also needs to deal with a large public debt. At about 54 per cent of GDP - just under the self-imposed 55 per cent - it has added to Malaysia's fiscal vulnerability.

To further broaden the tax base, a goods and services tax of 6 per cent is scheduled to be implemented in April 2015.

Malaysia's fuel subsidies have been growing exponentially. The RM38 billion allocated this year - about RM15 billion for electricity - gobbles up nearly a fifth of the country's operating expenditure compared to less than 4 per cent a decade ago.

Fuel prices are expected to see at least another increase next year, given that at RM2.10 per litre (RON95 petrol) they are still below market prices and one of the lowest in the region.

Consumers are likely to fork out more for gas as Tenaga said domestic gas prices had risen from RM13.70 per MMBtu (one million British Thermal Unit) to RM15.20 per MMBtu and was part of the reason for the power tariff hike.

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/premium/malaysia/msians-pay-more-power-next-year-20131203

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Enjoy the cheap stuffs while they last! Malaysia won't be as cheap next year. I expect ground inflation to be at least 10% in 2014, and 15% is more likely.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Enjoy the cheap stuffs while they last! Malaysia won't be as cheap next year. I expect ground inflation to be at least 10% in 2014, and 15% is more likely.
When tis thread was created i had sm kind of reservation cos i know very near future living in jb is not going to be tat cheap. I feel like a wounded bird leow...chip chip..

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Assessment tax rise for businesses from Jan 1
02 December 2013| last updated at 10:10PM

Read more: Assessment tax rise for businesses from Jan 1 - Johor - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/streets/johor...-businesses-from-jan-1-1.418104#ixzz2mjzWV7Tk

PUT TO GOOD USE: Ratepayers hope to see improvements in public facilities and services with the rate increase

NUSAJAYA: THE Johor Baru City Council (MBJB) will be increasing assessment taxes for commercial and industrial properties from Jan 1 next year.

State Housing and Local Government Committee chairman Datuk Abdul Latiff Bandi said under Section 137 (3) of the Local Government Act 1976, the local authorities need to list out new evaluations every five years.

"The rate has not been revised since 1995," he said in his speech at the state assembly session in the Bangunan Sultan Ismail in Kota Iskandar, here, recently.

He said it was an effort to balance management cost and development as it has increased over the years.

He said based on Section 130 (3)(A) of the Act, the rate should not exceed five per cent of the additional rate fixed by the local authorities (PBT).

However, MBJB has never fixed the rate at more than one per cent from the additional rate.

"The new assessment tax rate for commercial property is 0.27 per cent, which is 0.01 per cent higher than the previous rate of 0.26 per cent," he said.

He said the new assessment tax rate for industrial property is 0.3 per cent, which is 0.02 per cent higher than the previous rate of 0.28 per cent.

He said those who are dissatisfied with the evaluation can submit a written objection to MBJB by today.

He said any objection will be brought to the committee meeting for hearing before a decision is made in line with Section 142 of the same Act.

Johor Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry secretary-general K. Krishnan hoped for an extension in the objection period.

"Some of the traders received their notices about two weeks ago and the objection deadline is Dec 2 (today).

"Those affected may need to discuss with each other over the matter," he said.

He also wants the council to provide a breakdown of how the additional money will be used for the benefit of the people.

"The community is looking at improved road conditions, garbage collection and recycling facilities," he said.

He also suggested that MBJB improve the services provided by the local council at Larkin and Tampoi Industrial area.

Johor Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industries deputy president Datuk Loh Liam Hiang said that the increase is reasonable.

He said the association was waiting for feedback from its members on the matter.

However, Loh hoped that there will be improvement on the drainage system, street lighting, and road conditions in the industrial areas.

Read more: Assessment tax rise for businesses from Jan 1 - Johor - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/streets/johor...-businesses-from-jan-1-1.418104#ixzz2mk01CJw2

cheesecake

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Better to ask what is NOT cheap in JB as most things are cheaper. For sure toilet rolls for one is about the same price as Singapore.

Mummymoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quotes from a few SG dentists for braces for my son range from S$4,500 to S$5,000. I was recommended a dentist in Skudai who's charging me RM2,500 to RM3,000 at the very most. Her clinic is very clean with impressive equipment. And since she's successfully done braces for two other kids whom I personally know, it became a no-brainer which dentist I choose.

teanotcoffee09

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quotes from a few SG dentists for braces for my son range from S$4,500 to S$5,000. I was recommended a dentist in Skudai who's charging me RM2,500 to RM3,000 at the very most. Her clinic is very clean with impressive equipment. And since she's successfully done braces for two other kids whom I personally know, it became a no-brainer which dentist I choose.

Can you PM the contact of the dentist? Thanks.