• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What things are cheaper in JB?

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysia is 3rd cheapest place to buy a Big Mac
By Akil Yunus
New Straits Times
Sunday, Feb 16, 2014

KUALA LUMPUR - Malaysia has been ranked one of the cheapest places in the world to purchase a Big Mac, according to The Economist.

The British news magazine's annual "Big Mac" Index, which gauges if global currencies are at their correct level, has ranked Malaysia third behind India and South Africa as the cheapest place in the world to purchase the McDonald's signature burger.

"The price paid for a Big Mac in Malaysia is RM7.40 (S$2.82), which is equivalent to US$2.23 when converted using the global exchange rates.

"This amount is lower when compared with the actual price of a Big Mac that is sold in the United States for US$4.62 (S$5.80), indicating a 50 per cent difference.

"In other words, the Big Mac sold in Malaysia is half the price of the same burger sold in the US," the magazine revealed.

India's "Maharaja Mac" only cost US$1.54, which is three times less than it is sold in the US, hence making it the cheapest Big Mac available in the world.

At the other end of the spectrum, Norwegians are being ripped off for a Big Mac as it is sold for US$7.80, 70 per cent more than what the burger costs in the US.

Other countries listed as selling Big Macs at high prices included Venezuela (USD$7.15) and Switzerland (US$7.14).

"Big Mac" Index was invented by The Economist in 1986 as a light-hearted guide to measure the value of currencies worldwide. It is based on the theory of purchasing power parity, the notion that in the long run exchange rates should move towards a value that would equalise the prices of an identical basket of goods and services (in this case, a burger) in any two countries. McDonald's Big Mac was selected as a measuring tool as it is sold in about 120 countries.

- See more at: http://www.soshiok.com/content/malaysia-3rd-cheapest-place-buy-big-mac#sthash.c8TYpq5t.dpuf

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
KL inflation in January up more than forecast
PUBLISHED FEBRUARY 21, 2014

[KUALA LUMPUR] Malaysia's inflation rate continued to rise, with the latest data showing that it rose 3.4 per cent last month from a year ago and exceeding a Bloomberg survey of 3.3 per cent, Malaysia daily The Star reported.

The Statistics Department said on Wednesday that the inflation rate, measured by the Consumer Price Index, also increased by 0.6 per cent from December. The CPI had increased by 3.2 per cent in December.

Elaborating on the details, the department said that the CPI for January 2014 increased by 3.4 per cent to 109.5 from 105.9 a year ago, due to increases in all the main groups except miscellaneous goods & services. "The index for Food & Non-Alcoholic Beverages and Non-Food for January 2014 showed increases of 4.2 per cent and 3 per cent on-year.

"When compared with the previous month, the index for Food & Non-Alcoholic Beverages and Non-Food increased by 0.8 per cent and 0.4 per cent," it added.

The department said that the urban and rural CPI for last month increased by 3.5 per cent and 3.1 per cent on-year. When compared with December, the CPI for urban and rural increased by 0.7 per cent and 0.2 per cent respectively. As for the income group below RM3,000 (S$1,145), inflation increased by 3.5 per cent from 106.3 to 110.0.

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/premium/malaysia/kl-inflation-january-more-forecast-20140221

Last edited:

markhida22

Alfrescian
Loyal
Salmon fish (cut) is at about Rm25 (~$10) per kg in Tesco Bukit Indah. Much cheaper than in sg.

And if you go in the morning(9~10am), they have these fruits n vegi (near the vegi weighing area) that are near expirary (but is good for consumption) selling at almost half price.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pizza Hut is cheap. We spend about S$50 for good meal and much food in JB Pizza Hut whereas we normally spend S$80 in Singapore and for much less food.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sharks fin soup is cheap about S$10 for a big bowl, milk powder S$40 for a big tin compared to S$60+ in Sg. And parking super cheap at RM1 per entry at Jusco Tebrau...

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sharks fin soup is cheap about S$10 for a big bowl, milk powder S$40 for a big tin compared to S$60+ in Sg. And parking super cheap at RM1 per entry at Jusco Tebrau...

Yes, talking about parking. Now that we do most shopping in JB and car is "stationed" in JB almost 100% of the time, parking, ERP tolls, e-day licence savings for me would be at least $200 each month.:p

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, talking about parking. Now that we do most shopping in JB and car is "stationed" in JB almost 100% of the time, parking, ERP tolls, e-day licence savings for me would be at least $200 each month.:p

Yes other than cheaper houses, cheaper cars and petrol and road tax is the major draw for me to consider living there.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
As are bootleg DVDs and Blu-rays. Just watched Capt Philips and bought Sherlock Holmes Season 3 on Blu-ray.:biggrin:

typh00n

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quotes from a few SG dentists for braces for my son range from S$4,500 to S$5,000. I was recommended a dentist in Skudai who's charging me RM2,500 to RM3,000 at the very most. Her clinic is very clean with impressive equipment. And since she's successfully done braces for two other kids whom I personally know, it became a no-brainer which dentist I choose.

Please PM me the contact. Thanks in advance.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bought car mat for only RM150. If you are going to do this in Singapore, it will cost you Sgd 235 for 3M car mat.

nusaduta

Alfrescian
Loyal
Golf lessons for kids by qualified coach at RM100 for 4 lessons. My son is in his third month of lesson and is loving it every lesson.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Golf lessons for kids by qualified coach at RM100 for 4 lessons. My son is in his third month of lesson and is loving it every lesson.

That is real savings of some kind.
I send my gal for swimming lesson in Singapore. It cost me Sgd 60 a month already.