• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Economic News

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quite a number of msians work at Eastern SG. Eg: IBP/Changi airport/Tampines/Seletar etc.
So will ease a lot of traffic at Woodlands CIQ if 3rd link materialize

Will ease even more traffic if all these Malaysian convert to citizens , we need you badly to make up the 6.9M target in the next few year. The window of opportunity will close if they will bring in PRCs , Indian or Pinoys to fill the gap:p

http://forums.asiaone.com/showthread.php?t=81715

Last edited:

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
This Pengerang place looks very out of the way leh....LKY was suggesting third link to be there, if really then very sianz leh...unless work place in Changi area. It looks so disconnected from the rest of JB.

The 3rd link should be to link Punggol and Pasir Gudang, and not Pengerang. Pegerang and Changi can be easily serviced by fast ferries, should the need arise, like HK-Macau.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
The 3rd link should be to link Punggol and Pasir Gudang, and not Pengerang. Pegerang and Changi can be easily serviced by fast ferries, should the need arise, like HK-Macau.

I fully agree! Speaking "without" vested interest....Hee hee hee....:p

A bridge at the Pengerang side may not be economically viable too, as there may not be much traffic. But if at Pasir Gudang side it will definitely be more viable and help spread out the jams now. And the distance is nearer.

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal
I fully agree! Speaking "without" vested interest....Hee hee hee....:p

A bridge at the Pengerang side may not be economically viable too, as there may not be much traffic. But if at Pasir Gudang side it will definitely be more viable and help spread out the jams now. And the distance is nearer.

I oso agree! If u look at the map, the distance btw 2nd link and Causeway and btw Causeway and punggol-pasir gudang is roughly the same, which would make a nice equal distribution. From my rough perusal of the street maps, although I'm not familiar with the actual terrain of the area, I can fantasize Punggol Rd being upgraded to link with PG. Punggol Rd also appears to be easily accessible from TPE. However, I have absolutely no idea what the connecting terrain is like at the PG end except that my trusty online street map shows there are some factories there.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why need to build so many links? when the real problem is the booths are always undermanned, especially Johor side. 2 out of 10 booths open usually.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why need to build so many links? when the real problem is the booths are always undermanned, especially Johor side. 2 out of 10 booths open usually.

Precisely why we need another under manned 3rd link to ease the jam...LOL!

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are 100% right. This morning I went JB for a cruise to JPO and back and hit JB Custom 420am. 1st car at the counter hassle free. KNN reach SG custom 430am ( Tuas ) and I was struck till 5am.

Can anyone tell me if Singapore civil servants are more capable or inept than the Malaysian counter chaps? They both have equal share of the load so I don't understand why they ( the Malaysian side ) are always faster!?

frankly speaking, from what I observe, its always Singapore that cause the jams. there were times when we need to clear sg woodlands custom for 1.5 to 2 hours, but only 20-30min to clear msian custom, so whos fault?

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
frankly speaking, from what I observe, its always Singapore that cause the jams. there were times when we need to clear sg woodlands custom for 1.5 to 2 hours, but only 20-30min to clear msian custom, so whos fault?

From a biker perspective I can say that 99% of jam is caused by Singapore side, whether going into Singapore or out of Singapore.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
From a biker perspective I can say that 99% of jam is caused by Singapore side, whether going into Singapore or out of Singapore.

Bike's COE is getting higher, it's time to raise the toll fee..n solve the jam problem. :rolleyes::p
i'm the 69%. :biggrin:

Last edited:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

Depends on which direction, from SG to JB it is JB side that is slow. From JB to SG, it is SG side that is slow but because of stupid customs checks.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

That is because of the overwhelming number of JB bikes going in and out of SG and both sides customs usually slow to clear foreigners going in and out.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is because of the overwhelming number of JB bikes going in and out of SG and both sides customs usually slow to clear foreigners going in and out.

From past 2 years experience, many bikes is one factor, the other more irritating factor is the cat and mouse games played by the Aetos officers who toy with the bikers when they approach customs after the causeway bridge by whimsically opening and closing access to the lanes. Being diverted to the OWC or Old Woodlands Checkpoint is the worst. This is for entering Singapore in the morning.

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
From past 2 years experience, many bikes is one factor, the other more irritating factor is the cat and mouse games played by the Aetos officers who toy with the bikers when they approach customs after the causeway bridge by whimsically opening and closing access to the lanes. Being diverted to the OWC or Old Woodlands Checkpoint is the worst. This is for entering Singapore in the morning.

I can only speak for car drivers: the big difference is that after passing immigration, there are TRUE GREEN lanes operating in JB. Coming into SG, while there are lanes marked GREEN, their operations are no different from the Red lane. In fact, there are times you can clear custom faster by passing through the shorter Red lane.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is nothing to do with the SG immigrations being slow, after all cars clear immigration, cars proceed to customs for vehicle checks, which is reasonably fast, but the final part which you all do not seem to notice is that after all cars clear customs the whole flow breaks down and all cars merge into a SINGLE lane, so no matter how fast you clear the passports and vehicle checks, the final single lane bottle neck is the ultimate killer, actually ICA very stupid, they pay more officers by opening more lanes when traffic is high, BRAVO! but, but, but they never consider all this money spent to increase the speed is thrown down the drain, negated by the single lane exit at the end, next time they might as well save the money and no need to put more officers in the immigration booths, since the final exit is going to be chocked.

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal
ICA is trained to slow things down, imagine all sinkies go JB for shopping, makan, buying shops and properties, how much is the pappies losing every single day?

I notice when the economy is under great downhill pressure such as the one after 2008 financial crisis and the current near recession, singapore typically opens up or brings forward many civil projects like road upgrades, HDB upgrades and other works just to try to add up another 0.5% gdp growth which even though small but might still prevent Singapore from a technical recession like recently or makes the gdp reads a little less horrendous. Leakages like Singaporeans spending in JB would make such govt attempt to improve gdp reading harder so got to be plugged some how.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
I notice when the economy is under great downhill pressure such as the one after 2008 financial crisis and the current near recession, singapore typically opens up or brings forward many civil projects like road upgrades, HDB upgrades and other works just to try to add up another 0.5% gdp growth which even though small but might still prevent Singapore from a technical recession like recently or makes the gdp reads a little less horrendous. Leakages like Singaporeans spending in JB would make such govt attempt to improve gdp reading harder so got to be plugged some how.

Just plug the foreigners, they remit more money out of the economy than Singaporeans can ever hope to spend in JB.

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
To avoid the jam after my speeding trips into JPO early Wed wee hours of the morning, I returned via Tuas and was struck for 30 min at 415am!

And I realise in the noon that 4 cars were trying to smuggle cigar into Singapore.

2 shots were fired and only 1 car was detained while the 3 escaped ( OH CMON!?! Surely we can do better?!! )