• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Economic News

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very ambitious, good to plan for the future. Johor never has shortage of water, the question is how to trap those water given by heaven and use them over the whole year.

Forest city has their own water supply, that's news. What kind of gundu developer built own road, build own land, find own buyers, supply own water, on a location which is not that great.

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nati...exploring-potential-solutions-to-water-issue/

For decades, Johor state had collected hundreds of millions SGD in revenue for supplying water to SG.
For decades, it had been a "since somebody else is doing the job and doing it well, why bother to do it" attitude, nothing or very little had been done to develop new catchment areas or explore new water source for future population growth.
Those revenue collected should have been invested into such projects decades ago.

With the rapid development of housing in the last few years, water supply may be in acute shortage very soon.
Imagine, minimum each new unit with 2 toilets flushing just twice a day @ 6 litre/flush x 2 x 2 = 24 litres.
Just for the 50,000 new units means 50,000 x 24 = 1.2 million litres extra needed.............and thats only for flushing toilets, not including other usage and requirements like filling up swimming pools in condos, etc.
Currently, there is absolutely no contingency in JB for water supply in an event of emergency which resulted in SG supplying water to JB recently.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...table-water-to-johor-after-urgent-request-pub

Ambulance

Alfrescian
Loyal
halo small problem wat berak in the longkang like ah tiong no nid use water tio boh

For decades, Johor state had collected hundreds of millions SGD in revenue for supplying water to SG.
For decades, it had been a "since somebody else is doing the job and doing it well, why bother to do it" attitude, nothing or very little had been done to develop new catchment areas or explore new water source for future population growth.
Those revenue collected should have been invested into such projects decades ago.

With the rapid development of housing in the last few years, water supply may be in acute shortage very soon.
Imagine, minimum each new unit with 2 toilets flushing just twice a day @ 6 litre/flush x 2 x 2 = 24 litres.
Just for the 50,000 new units means 50,000 x 24 = 1.2 million litres extra needed.............and thats only for flushing toilets, not including other usage and requirements like filling up swimming pools in condos, etc.
Currently, there is absolutely no contingency in JB for water supply in an event of emergency which resulted in SG supplying water to JB recently.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...table-water-to-johor-after-urgent-request-pub

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
For those who want to hear the good news. :smile:

Iskandar%20Smart%20City%20investment_zpsqcl3tmih.jpg

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
For those who want to hear the good news. :smile:

As usual, everything is glossed over for the PM's visit.
Although 680,000 new jobs were created is good news, but in reality, out of that 680,000 new jobs, probably more than 80% are foreign workers in the numerous construction sites, hospitality (restaurants and kitchens, massage parlors, karaoke lounges), nursing (Pinoys), education (angmo lecturers), manufacturing (Burmese, Banglas)..............so really how many locals got employed.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
As usual, everything is glossed over for the PM's visit.
Although 680,000 new jobs were created is good news, but in reality, out of that 680,000 new jobs, probably more than 80% are foreign workers in the numerous construction sites, hospitality (restaurants and kitchens, massage parlors, karaoke lounges), nursing (Pinoys), education (angmo lecturers), manufacturing (Burmese, Banglas)..............so really how many locals got employed.

I don't know. But how did you get the 80% foreign workers statistic?

eric3417

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't know. But how did you get the 80% foreign workers statistic?

Anyway Frodo, u & me certainly dun want Iskandar to grow too fast also.
Coz we're not investors. If it gets too expensive then our Game plan is 50% down the drain.
So for me i ignore all news be it positive/negative and live in the present 1day at a time! Shiok ah!!!

:biggrin:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Coz we're not investors. If it gets too expensive then our Game plan is 50% down the drain.
So for me i ignore all news be it positive/negative and live in the present 1day at a time! Shiok ah!!!

True true! We still need to live in the moment. Have been bio-ing a durian stall along johor Jaya....time to jiak liu lian one of these days!

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal

Johor will lose its charm if it become over developed. I don't want to stay in a concrete jungle and certainly not high density area.
Space and greens is what Johor has. Of course water too.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Johor will lose its charm if it become over developed. I don't want to stay in a concrete jungle and certainly not high density area.
Space and greens is what Johor has. Of course water too.

Maybe JB can afford to over-develop some parts while the other parts retain its charm, while still enjoying some ripple effects.:p

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe JB can afford to over-develop some parts while the other parts retain its charm, while still enjoying some ripple effects.:p

A good example is Penang which is listed as a Unesco Heritage city. Many investors and tourist come to this place. However with rapid developments over the last few years, it listing with Unesco is now under threat. It is losing its charm.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the Malaysian economy is going to be flat or tank for this year. Already, Seagate and WD have chosen to pull out of Penang and today, there's another casualty: Suzuki Motorcycle, also in Penang.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the Malaysian economy is going to be flat or tank for this year. Already, Seagate and WD have chosen to pull out of Penang and today, there's another casualty: Suzuki Motorcycle, also in Penang.

I think SG economy would qualify better for 'flat or tank' at 1-2% growth rate. MY is still growing strongly at > 4% despite its many troubles.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think SG economy would qualify better for 'flat or tank' at 1-2% growth rate. MY is still growing strongly at > 4% despite its many troubles.
[h=1]Plunging exports point to hard days ahead for Singapore economy[/h]A worsening global economy stifled demand for products in the Republic's biggest export markets, leaving Singapore's exporters struggling in choppy waters.
Non-oil domestic exports (Nodx) plunged 10.6 per cent last month from a year earlier, prompting economists to warn of a difficult period for Singapore's economy in the months ahead.
http://www.straitstimes.com/business/economy/plunging-exports-point-to-hard-days-ahead-for-economy

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
[h=1]Plunging exports point to hard days ahead for Singapore economy[/h]A worsening global economy stifled demand for products in the Republic's biggest export markets, leaving Singapore's exporters struggling in choppy waters.
Non-oil domestic exports (Nodx) plunged 10.6 per cent last month from a year earlier, prompting economists to warn of a difficult period for Singapore's economy in the months ahead.
http://www.straitstimes.com/business/economy/plunging-exports-point-to-hard-days-ahead-for-economy

So, may I ask if this piece of news supposed to be wonderful news or bad news for JB?
However, if it don't matter then why bother to post it at all.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
What I've heard from financial news is that currently, the Malaysian economy is very much supported by its own domestic consumption as well as the various government stimuli and incentives. If more people are going to be out of jobs, I don't think this can be sustained for long. Surely, the people will then start to "tighten" their belts. There will be a 6-month lag for this to happen. Already, the trade figures of Malaysia's imports from Singapore were down quite substantially for July 2016. Just watch.

I must also admit that Singapore is going to be in for some rough times as well.

Last edited:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

Time to leave.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Time to leave.

Home country poor economy, how to invest in other country?
If retrenched or pay cut, how to pay bank loans?
In times like this, go where it is small, and go economy.

And sharks are circling..

Last edited: