• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NZ South Island tour

Getloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Bro and Sis of SBF,

Need some advice for this trip.
Free and easy tour.
7-10 days.
May to July 2014
Rent a car and travel from Eastern route, stop at:
1.Christchurch
2.Dunein
3.Queenstown
Western route back to Christchurch.
Any suggestion where to make 1 or 2 stops along the way?

Thanks in advance. :o

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Hi Bro and Sis of SBF,

Free and easy tour.
7-10 days.
May to July 2014
1.Christchurch
2.Dunein
3.Queenstown

Don't miss Arrowtown, Wanaka, Mt Cook, Milford Sound.

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)
Hi Bro and Sis of SBF,

Free and easy tour.
7-10 days.
May to July 2014
1.Christchurch
2.Dunein
3.Queenstown

That is a good idea holidaying self drive free and easy in south island,that's what i did when i was there.
drive slowly road can be slippery in certain area,enjoy the scenery throughout.
on the return journey a stop over for a night stay in one of the motel at mt cook would be nice.

Getloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the input.

1.Christchurch (2 days)
2.Dunein (2 day)
3.Queenstown (3 day)
4. Wanaka (1 day)
5. Mt Cook (1 day)
Western route back to Christchurch (1 day)

Does it seems rush?
If going on July (winter month), other than black ice on road, any other precaution to look out for?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Thanks for the input.

1.Christchurch (2 days)
2.Dunein (2 day) It's Dunedin.
3.Queenstown (3 day)
4. Wanaka (1 day)
5. Mt Cook (1 day)
Western route back to Christchurch (1 day)

Does it seems rush?
If going on July (winter month), other than black ice on road, any other precaution to look out for?

July is the worst time of the year to tour the South Island unless you're into winter sports.

Be prepared for freezing cold temperatures, closed roads, power failures, flight delays and other unexpected disruptions.

The days are also very short and you'll end up driving in total darkness as none of the roads are lit.

If you have a lot of time and want adventure, it can be very exciting and getting stranded can add to the experience. If you're on a tight schedule and have a job to get back to, I'd suggest Autumn (May) would be a far better time slot.

Getloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the input and correction.

Any advice on cheaper car rental service?
Hertz, Eurocar, Avis, online quote were quite ex.

johnincal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well it's a bit out of your way as far as travel plans go, but this time of year I'd be heading up northward to Auckland. Weather is mild and rainfall moderate at best.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Well it's a bit out of your way as far as travel plans go, but this time of year I'd be heading up northward to Auckland. Weather is mild and rainfall moderate at best.

Which places you visit in NZ all depends upon where your interests lie.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Boss, what attractiona in Arrowtown n Wanaka? Is Milford worth a visit; so far away?
I've arranged car driving in CC, Qtwn Otg areas n Timaru.(14 days)

There are no man made attractions. It's all about the scenery.

If you wanna see fjords, then Milford is well worth a visit. If you couldn't care less about the natural world, the whole of the South Island is a waste of time. There are hardly any people there. :p

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are no man made attractions. It's all about the scenery.

If you wanna see fjords, then Milford is well worth a visit. If you couldn't care less about the natural world, the whole of the South Island is a waste of time. There are hardly any people there. :p

Not true. There is a man in Te Anau who admired LKY greatly... you should go chat with him.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Not true. There is a man in Te Anau who admired LKY greatly... you should go chat with him.

Almost everyone I meet in NZ tells me that they admire LKY and what he has done for the country. The biggest admirer of LKY is yours truly.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
That is because they have not experienced how it feels like to live as a local in Singapore.
Kiwis cannot even take to the idea of CPF.

-Recommended by Neddy -
Fly fishing in Murchison, SI, NZ
http://www.lakerotoroalodge.com/

I've fished there. In fact I've probably covered the whole of the North Island including private streams where nobody else goes. All you have to do is ask the farmer/owner.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Mid Sept need to rent snow chains?

It all depends whether it's snowing. :p

September could be beautiful weather or it could be shit. The prevailing wind at the time determines the temperatures. If it's coming from the South Pole, prepare from the worst. If it's blowing a northerly, it might be early summer.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
best time to go in Dec / Jan ..

No it is not because it's the summer holidays and all the Kiwis are on leave and prices go up everywhere and the popular spots are overcrowded and the small roads can't handle the traffic so you can spend hours stuck waiting to cross a small single lane bridge.

The best time would be mid Feb when it is still warm but all the locals are back at work.