• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

HSR and RTS Discussion

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
After looking at the details, can tell that it has been seriously thought through, all the agreements about stations, how to clear customs, who to pay what etc. These are the most important understanding before working on the details. A good start.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought they will do the HSR till Iskandar Puteri and then put in an extension to Jurong as a separate package. It is a bit of a surprise they decided to put the whole thing together. Anyway, 1 down, 2 more to go ie BTS and RTS. Still, take all these with a pinch of salt. A MOU is just more serious than a gentleman's agreement but short of a formal agreement. It is only a statement of intentions as the basis of agreement.

The HSR proposal was first mentioned by the 2 PMs way back in 2010.
And it took 6 long years for each sides to do their studies and whatnots to come to this MOU.
But then again, this is only the first starting point and you still have to wait for the formal works contracts to be signed which is scheduled in 2018.
Just be hopefully that everything will be on schedule.

Noticed that both Najib and his minister keep saying about " open, transparent and fair tender", perhaps they believe everyone is expecting the usual otherwise.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
The HSR proposal was first mentioned by the 2 PMs way back in 2010.
And it took 6 long years for each sides to do their studies and whatnots to come to this MOU.
But then again, this is only the first starting point and you still have to wait for the formal works contracts to be signed which is scheduled in 2018.
Just be hopefully that everything will be on schedule.

Noticed that both Najib and his minister keep saying about " open, transparent and fair tender", perhaps they believe everyone is expecting the usual otherwise.

Singapore not wasting time on this.
=========================
In a separate statement, Singapore's Land Transport Authority said that within the next month, it will call an advance engineering study tender for consultants to carry out engineering studies for the Singapore stretch of the High Speed Rail, which will terminate in Jurong East.

This study will include looking at the alignment of the rail link, the architectural and engineering design of the terminus station, noise and vibration issues, and the preparation of tender documents for the project's construction phase. The study is expected to start by the first quarter of 2017 and will take about 18 to 24 months to complete.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/singapore-kl-high-speed-rail-targeted-to-start-running-by-around-2026-journey-will-take-90

Last edited:

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was mentioned commuters need to only go through one checkpoint at the point of departure, not at the point of arrival. Does that mean if one travels from SG, he or she only needs to go thru immigration at the SG side, and just walks out upon reaching any of the stations along the HSR route? If so, there will be good news.

Also mentioned was a shuttle service from SG to Iskandar Puteri. I'm surprised by this. But this perhaps shows the important position of Iskandar Puteri. For those who don't wish to spend so much on the HSR, at least there is the bus to get there.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was mentioned commuters need to only go through one checkpoint at the point of departure, not at the point of arrival. Does that mean if one travels from SG, he or she only needs to go thru immigration at the SG side, and just walks out upon reaching any of the stations along the HSR route? If so, there will be good news.

Nothing new on this aspect la.
If you have ever travel on the KTM train to KL departing from the old Tg Pagar Railways station, it was done this way too.
So after you have entered the train, even when the train is still within SG, you are technically in MY already.

Also mentioned was a shuttle service from SG to Iskandar Puteri. I'm surprised by this. But this perhaps shows the important position of Iskandar Puteri. For those who don't wish to spend so much on the HSR, at least there is the bus to get there.

SG only interested in the SG/KL express route and it is this route that will ultimately goes all the way to China and they probably knowing that the shuttle service will surely lose money.
Hence you can see mentioned in this MOU, the shuttle service, which stops at 6 stations between KL and SG, will be operated separately and probably by MY exclusively.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
SG only interested in the SG/KL express route and it is this route that will ultimately goes all the way to China and they probably knowing that the shuttle service will surely lose money.
Hence you can see mentioned in this MOU, the shuttle service, which stops at 6 stations between KL and SG, will be operated separately and probably by MY exclusively.

Well at least there is a shuttle service to Iskandar Puteri from SG. They won't plan this for nothing. Lose money or not remains to be seen....

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well at least there is a shuttle service to Iskandar Puteri from SG. They won't plan this for nothing. Lose money or not remains to be seen....
Makes sense to have the shuttle as an interchange for the domestic service. Else the domestic service will be useless. Great job by Khaw and Auntie Josephine.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
HSR aside, my quite wild prediction is that, come 2026 or 2030, HDB 4-room BTO flats will be 65-70 sq m and cost on average S$600-700k. Many commoners have to suck it up to pay for it in their entire lifetime. Those not happy with this will use the shuttle to live in Iskandar instead at cheaper costs. Those who work around Jurong (by then many offices and commercial stuffs will be there) will be especially attracted to live in Flagship B of Iskandar also.

Some think wrongly that the SG government will not allow this as it will lower SG's property prices and economy. That's not true. The government will be more than happy for the poorer commoners to go away so they have fewer problems and complaints to take care of! And since these Singaporeans are still working in SG, they can still continue to boost the economy. Nothing is lost. In fact, there's everything to gain for the country.

Better still, if need be, the government might want us to use the hospital services in Iskandar at cheaper costs while SG continues to attract the rich to live here. I always think a strong and well-known hospital such as Gleneagles won't be so stupid to build in Medini if the place is so dead like now. They must know something that we don't. Likely they are taking a long term view of the whole development. Maybe SG government has a part to play in this also!

I think it will all work out well finally. Both countries just got to maintain the momentum. It's a win-win situation for both SG and Johor.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
HSR aside, my quite wild prediction is that, come 2026 or 2030, HDB 4-room BTO flats will be 65-70 sq m and cost on average S$600-700k. Many commoners have to suck it up to pay for it in their entire lifetime. Those not happy with this will use the shuttle to live in Iskandar instead at cheaper costs. Those who work around Jurong (by then many offices and commercial stuffs will be there) will be especially attracted to live in Flagship B of Iskandar also.

Some think wrongly that the SG government will not allow this as it will lower SG's property prices and economy. That's not true. The government will be more than happy for the poorer commoners to go away so they have fewer problems and complaints to take care of! And since these Singaporeans are still working in SG, they can still continue to boost the economy. Nothing is lost. In fact, there's everything to gain for the country.

Better still, if need be, the government might want us to use the hospital services in Iskandar at cheaper costs while SG continues to attract the rich to live here. I always think a strong and well-known hospital such as Gleneagles won't be so stupid to build in Medini if the place is so dead like now. They must know something that we don't. Maybe SG government has a part to play in this also!

I think it will all work out well finally. Both countries just got to maintain the momentum. It's a win-win situation for both SG and Johor.

By then probably the condos in JB have also increased in prices, which means maybe many will feel very "dui" for missing the boat 10 years ago.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal

I'm talking about the shutter service serving 6 other stations..........what passenger traffic are they expecting all day from Muar, Batu Pahat, Ayer Keroh?
Anyway, this is their "internal service", let the Malaysian operator work on it.
And for most Johoreans, especially those from the city and eastern area, taking the express train from Jurong East to KL, may be even more convenient than from Nusajaya, which is also a slower shutter service.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal

It is the same as Eurostar. You do not need to go through immigration at Gare du Nord at Paris. Only 1 immigration check in St Pancreas London. You just walk out of the station.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
From the news description it is two checkpoints within a CIQ. If one is in SG, he will clear the SG checkpoint first, then move into the next area to clear the MY checkpoint. The reverse applies if one is in MY.

The control measures in the CIQs and along the tracks must be done thoroughly to avoid any breach in security and terrorist threat.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
I can still see and hear many people ( esp sinkies ) around me putting down on Nusajaya and calling it a Ghost Town. Gone are the days when I can enter from Tuas at 1pm and first to the counter, speed all the way into Puteri Harbour for a loop and back into Singapore within 30 minutes just for a cruise because the traffic has gone up considerably over the years. Now we can only go to Malaysia for a fast spin after 1am on Sunday.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I can still see and hear many people ( esp sinkies ) around me putting down on Nusajaya and calling it a Ghost Town. Gone are the days when I can enter from Tuas at 1pm and first to the counter, speed all the way into Puteri Harbour for a loop and back into Singapore within 30 minutes just for a cruise because the traffic has gone up considerably over the years. Now we can only go to Malaysia for a fast spin after 1am on Sunday.

To fund the HSR operational costs, the tolls and levies may be raised.