• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

HSR and RTS Discussion

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Glad project is still on...thought it was cancelled when no news for so Long. Actually, the current Tebrau train is good, very tempted to try it...just wished they have afternoon. trips too..

Ultimately Tebrau train's capacity is limited by the track and the tech. RTS is the true game changer, but it looks likely to be operational only around 2022-23.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
China Railway wins Gemas-JB double-tracking contract

The Gemas-Johor Bahru (JB) electrified double-tracking project will be awarded to China’s national train operator China Railway, Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai said. “We are committed and hope this can speed up the project.

“Once the project is completed by 2020, it will complete the whole electrified double-tracking rail network to Padang Besar,” he said at the launch of the China High-Speed Railway Exhibition today.

Liow said currently, the country’s rail network covered 1,641.4km, of which 46 percent is made up of an electrified double-tracking line.
The distance will be extended up to 58 percent upon the completion of the Gemas-JB electrified double-tracking project.
The installation of the Gemas-JB electrified double-tracking project, starting next year, is expected to cost RM7.13 billion.

The 197km track provides capacity for trains to hit 160kph, with an operating speed limit of 140kph.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
China Railway wins Gemas-JB double-tracking contract

The Gemas-Johor Bahru (JB) electrified double-tracking project will be awarded to China’s national train operator China Railway, Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai said. “We are committed and hope this can speed up the project.

“Once the project is completed by 2020, it will complete the whole electrified double-tracking rail network to Padang Besar,” he said at the launch of the China High-Speed Railway Exhibition today.

Liow said currently, the country’s rail network covered 1,641.4km, of which 46 percent is made up of an electrified double-tracking line.
The distance will be extended up to 58 percent upon the completion of the Gemas-JB electrified double-tracking project.
The installation of the Gemas-JB electrified double-tracking project, starting next year, is expected to cost RM7.13 billion.

The 197km track provides capacity for trains to hit 160kph, with an operating speed limit of 140kph.

A double track fast train expanding from KL northwards and southwards is more than enough for MY's needs.
Already the electric train it is serving many smaller towns like Kepong and Rawang from KL while a trip to Ipoh from KL is only 2.5 hrs.
Can you imagine the HSR stopping by at Muar or Batu Pahat every half hourly just to pick up 10, 20 passengers......they'll surely lose money big time!

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal
A double track fast train expanding from KL northwards and southwards is more than enough for MY's needs.
Already the electric train it is serving many smaller towns like Kepong and Rawang from KL while a trip to Ipoh from KL is only 2.5 hrs.
Can you imagine the HSR stopping by at Muar or Batu Pahat every half hourly just to pick up 10, 20 passengers......they'll surely lose money big time!

they may just build HSR from KL to SG. These 2 cities are all that matters really. Federal govt more keen on KL only.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal

I hope they delay the HSR indefinitely with the market feasibility study. In the short to medium term, it will be a drain to tax payers in Singapore.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hope they delay the HSR indefinitely with the market feasibility study. In the short to medium term, it will be a drain to tax payers in Singapore.

How much can we lose on the rail vs the tourism dollars, the continued redevelopment of JLD, and the further brain drain from MY to SG? Eyes on the big picture please!

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
How much can we lose on the rail vs the tourism dollars, the continued redevelopment of JLD, and the further brain drain from MY to SG? Eyes on the big picture please!

I have enough of strange things happening in Malaysia e.g. military jet plane's engine went missing or commercial air-crafts in national airport without owners.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
they may just build HSR from KL to SG. These 2 cities are all that matters really. Federal govt more keen on KL only.

They have already announced to the whole world that the HSR will be running on 2 services, an express SG/KL and another with 5 stops, so its either build or don't build.
But are there really so many people travelling between KL and SG that requires another mode of transport?
A return flight from SG to KL can be as low as S$60 on a budget airline, even cheaper than the fare on an express bus service so how are they going to price the HSR to be competitive and still profitable?
Except during festive seasons and school holidays period, regular flights are seldom full so it just shows the demand is not really there.

freekazoid

Alfrescian
Loyal
They have already announced to the whole world that the HSR will be running on 2 services, an express SG/KL and another with 5 stops, so its either build or don't build.
But are there really so many people travelling between KL and SG that requires another mode of transport?
A return flight from SG to KL can be as low as S$60 on a budget airline, even cheaper than the fare on an express bus service so how are they going to price the HSR to be competitive and still profitable?
Except during festive seasons and school holidays period, regular flights are seldom full so it just shows the demand is not really there.

Why worry about matter that cant be answer by one here...why there is a need to make any presumption at all....

Let the big boys do their big assessment and big data and big costing and big business and grander scale of strategies.

Man on street level....building connectivity is always a plus...

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why worry about matter that cant be answer by one here...why there is a need to make any presumption at all....

Let the big boys do their big assessment and big data and big costing and big business and grander scale of strategies.

Man on street level....building connectivity is always a plus...

The real game is not just about Singapore and KL. It is about connectivity from Yunnan, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore + Indonesia. It is something like Eurail.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
The real game is not just about Singapore and KL. It is about connectivity from Yunnan, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore + Indonesia. It is something like Eurail.

For such great distances, air travel is cheaper and less politically tricky to implement for the governments, and more efficient and likely cheaper than rail for the consumers. I think the market feasibility study is to look for justifications to delay the timeline.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
For such great distances, air travel is cheaper and less politically tricky to implement for the governments, and more efficient and likely cheaper than rail for the consumers. I think the market feasibility study is to look for justifications to delay the timeline.

Yep, do a 2 year feasibility study...After that do another 2 year review of the earlier feasibility study...then do another 2 year feasibility study because the first study outdated liao...

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
With all due respect to our neighboring countries, the doubts arising in many people about the HSR is likely due to the 3rd world status of the countries around Singapore.

There are a lot of political, economic and safety implications involved.

If our immediate neighbor is not Malaysia but say Australia or Japan, I think the decision would be easy and confidence in the whole project will be much much higher.

It's Malaysia, that's why. I do understand the concerns of some.

And possibility of being built by a China rail company? Whoa.... Like saying Country Garden in Danga Bay will thrive. Sorry can't help but to draw that comparison.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
14 firms, consortia invited to further discuss feedback on Singapore-KL HSR project

This comes after a joint Request for Information, which saw 98 submissions. Singapore's Land Transport Authority says more companies could still be invited.

By Olivia Siong, Channel NewsAsia
Posted 14 Dec 2015 23:39 Updated 14 Dec 2015 23:58

SINGAPORE: Fourteen companies and consortia have been invited by Singapore and Malaysian authorities to further discuss their feedback on the Singapore-Kuala Lumpur High Speed Rail project.

This comes after a joint Request for Information, which saw 98 submissions. Singapore's Land Transport Authority (LTA) added that more companies could still be invited.

The 350-kilometre High Speed Rail is set to cut travelling time from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur to just 90 minutes. Singapore's terminus will be located at Jurong East, while the Kuala Lumpur terminus will be in Bandar Malaysia.

Malaysian reports cited China Railway as one of the companies invited for further discussions. Japan and South Korea have also expressed keen interest in the project.

LTA said the next step is to study the feedback thoroughly and use it to improve the project's commercial and procurement approach. It added that it will remain open to all system options, and is committed to carrying out the formal tender process in an "open, fair and transparent manner".

LTA also stressed that the Request for Information exercise and the following interviews have no bearing on the formal tender process, which will be launched at a later stage.

- CNA/dl

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/14-firms-consortia/2346450.html

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
With all due respect to our neighboring countries, the doubts arising in many people about the HSR is likely due to the 3rd world status of the countries around Singapore.

There are a lot of political, economic and safety implications involved.

If our immediate neighbor is not Malaysia but say Australia or Japan, I think the decision would be easy and confidence in the whole project will be much much higher.

It's Malaysia, that's why. I do understand the concerns of some.

And possibility of being built by a China rail company? Whoa.... Like saying Country Garden in Danga Bay will thrive. Sorry can't help but to draw that comparison.

Good and bad, like vep supposed to be implemented on Singapore cars by December, now no picture, no sound lol.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I doubt shock will come to me... Have been frequenting msia esp jb for 2decades & have childhood friends there. Can easily pass of as a Johorean.

But discounts yes i agree if comparing to SG's standard definitely. But cost of living & enjoyment of certain things are also discounted. So not complaining.

SG's standard actually in some areas to me had eroded some wat from the 90s. But cost of living Had Skyrocketed. I dun see a breather down the horizon.

I shared this before...Actually moving over to JB has in some sense increased the standard of living while lowering the cost of living, at least for me and my family. We get to own and stay in landed terrace, do things that only the super rich can do in Singapore, e.g. get to a new car sans COE, and also eat better food now. Back in Singapore hardly in sushi...but in JB we eat Sushi Mentai at least once a month. OK this Jap restaurant may not be the best by more discerning foodies, but it is good enough for me and my family!:p

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
I shared this before...Actually moving over to JB has in some sense increased the standard of living while lowering the cost of living, at least for me and my family. We get to own and stay in landed terrace, do things that only the super rich can do in Singapore, e.g. get to a new car sans COE, and also eat better food now. Back in Singapore hardly in sushi...but in JB we eat Sushi Mentai at least once a month. OK this Jap restaurant may not be the best by more discerning foodies, but it is good enough for me and my family!:p

Frodo, do you have children? Where do they study? I am hoping RTS gets built soon so that it is easier for my kids to come back to Sg for schooling...