• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

HSR and RTS Discussion

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
For some pple , iskandar is always bad la, dun waste time with them.

Your English is the only thing that is bad.

Nobody says Iskandar is bad, just that buying for investment and hoping to make quick money and not for own stay is bad. Renting there also not bad. Learn to know the difference.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
LOL!

In my view, the bike jams are largely Singapore’s fault. It’s not the tighter security check that’s causing the bike jam, but the whole design and set up of the checkpoint. The way the primary clearance (passport) counters are arranged, it is designed to create bottleneck jams! It would have been far better if the passport counters are positioned like the MY tolls, straight-through processing. And if you are unlucky you can even get caught in a 1.5hr U-shaped bike jam at the Old Woodlands Checkpoint! Not only that, not all automated/manual counters are opened at peak hours. And whoever is directing the flow of bikers coming into the Singapore Checkpoint at Woodlands, really is cannot make it! Often times you see the hired guards (Aetos) playing games with the bikers, opening and closing access to the faster clearing lanes. Not only that, it’s like every day they will chut new patterns, changing the format so that bikers always have to decide at the last minute which is the “better and lesser jammed” area to go to. And these Aetos officers will say they are just taking orders from ICA. Seriously?

Yep, so that’s the way it is now, I spent more time going home…but it is not time wasted…because in a way I actually have more “me time” reading my books on Kindle because normally once I get home it will just be spending time with the family and then kooning. I just have to adapt and make the most out of the situation. Like I said, it’s a trade-off, I see beyond the “immediate personal suffering” of the bike jams and considering how much more happier the wife and kids are at home, it’s worth it lah.

Not really the case. During peak hours, even those toll gates in Malaysia (eg: Sungai Besi) also have long queues. And these are only for payment, don't even need passport clearance.

Last edited:

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your English is the only thing that is bad.

Nobody says Iskandar is bad, just that buying for investment and hoping to make quick money and not for own stay is bad. Renting there also not bad. Learn to know the difference.

Yawn *** Not only are you a clown, but a foul mouthed and vulgar one at that.

Last edited:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not really the case. During peak hours, even those toll gates in Malaysia (eg: Sungai Besi) also have long queues. And these are only for payment, don't even need passport clearance.

Yah...but you don't use 2 hours to go through the tolls! Besides, I am not talking about eradicating the jams, that's not reality. I'm saying that much of the jams is caused by certain poor planning and design. If things are properly done and operating full capacity and still jam, we just suck it up lor and accept that. But if caused by inaction, inefficiency, or poor planning, then of course can complain gao gao!

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
But if caused by inaction, inefficiency, or poor planning, then of course can complain gao gao!
Just to add: deliberate Singapore government's planning. You must always remember what they say: "Your safety is our utmost concern." lol.

I used to complain to their AETOS staff. All they could do was repeatedly just say like a parrot "you write in lah". I told them that in this case, can I share half of your salary because I'm then considered to be doing part of your job. You can see how their faces turn black after that.

borei

Alfrescian
Loyal
My friend stay at River Valley and working at Shenton Way. 5 mins walk to bus stop, take 195 alight at China Town, take train to teluk ayer, reach office. Not less than 40mins. If the bus195 delay, then the next bus will be full (at 830am-845am), lagi jialat. just for your reference.

Correction:
SHould be bus no 54, toward China Town.
Bus 195 is toward Suntec. Both conditions are the same in the morning. BTW, he is working at Tower 4, quite a long distanct to walk from Pan pac bus stop.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
So, your total daily traveling time has been increased by 300%, 5 days a week. You sure have the patience. For me, I just can't accept that. 30 minutes into the jam at the Singapore Customs and I'm already cursing and swearing.

Not quality lifestyle to me. What one gains in say living in bigger space at cheaper price, he loses in other aspects.

All this time can better spent with family. It's not just about reading iPad, Kindle etc while waiting. It's also the fatigue one experiences every day. It will surely put stress on the body. You may not feel it now. But it will build up as you get older. And you have to always plan ahead before driving in and out of the causeway. It's hard to have impromptu meetings and changes. Miss the timing and you'll be stuck in jam.

At the end of the day, what suits one may not be good for the other.

But I do feel Singaporeans sometimes over exaggerate the cost of living here. Things may be expensive but salaries are also generally much higher. HDB flats are no "pigeon holes". If they feel like one, that's because you keep replaying in your head they are like that.

With high cost of living, comes better safety, higher standards of living, clean government, convenience of travel, amenities everywhere. I don't even need to drive to get to places quickly. I can't say the same for JB. If I need to have a good getaway, I can always cross over anytime as a tourist but not as a home owner. Hotels there are so damn cheap. Actually my ideal getaway has never ever been JB. It's Japan, Korea, etc. 1st world temperate countries with nice weather!

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not quality lifestyle to me. What one gains in say living in bigger space at cheaper price, he loses in other aspects.

All this time can better spent with family. It's not just about reading iPad, Kindle etc while waiting. It's also the fatigue one experiences every day. It will surely put stress on the body. You may not feel it now. But it will build up as you get older. And you have to always plan ahead before driving in and out of the causeway. It's hard to have impromptu meetings and changes. Miss the timing and you'll be stuck in jam.

At the end of the day, what suits one may not be good for the other.

But I do feel Singaporeans sometimes over exaggerate the cost of living here. Things may be expensive but salaries are also generally much higher. HDB flats are no "pigeon holes". If they feel like one, that's because you keep replaying in your head they are like that.

With high cost of living, comes better safety, higher standards of living, clean government, convenience of travel, amenities everywhere. I don't even need to drive to get to places quickly. I can't say the same for JB. If I need to have a good getaway, I can always cross over anytime as a tourist but not as a home owner. Hotels there are so damn cheap. Actually my ideal getaway has never ever been JB. It's Japan, Korea, etc. 1st world temperate countries with nice weather!

Well, I certainly beg to differ! Anyway, it is different strokes for different folks. For me and my family, it's not just a larger house, but it's the whole living experience that has been enhanced and, believe it or not, the better quality of life overall. And I don't even feel I lose in any aspects, it's pretty much gains to me. Right now, just right outside my guarded gated compound within a few minutes walk are newly opened 7-11, news.com, mini market, Malay eating house, pet shop, book shop, Chinese coffee shop, cafe, tuition centre, barber. ..even more convenient than when we were living in HDB!

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, I certainly beg to differ! Anyway, it is different strokes for different folks. For me and my family, it's not just a larger house, but it's the whole living experience that has been enhanced and, believe it or not, the better quality of life overall. And I don't even feel I lose in any aspects, it's pretty much gains to me. Right now, just right outside my guarded gated compound within a few minutes walk are newly opened 7-11, news.com, mini market, Malay eating house, pet shop, book shop, Chinese coffee shop, cafe, tuition centre, barber. ..even more convenient than when we were living in HDB!

Living in a landed house is so different. With a few kids around, everyone can find their own private rooms or space. The older folk can have his own space in the living hall seperated from the dining and kitchen and away from the kids too. Outside you have a dog on the porch and your car parked in the shade. The hall ceiling is high and the walls are wide. You spend 300 days in this house and if you wish, 65 days in hotels . In exchange, you sacrifice the daily hours in traffic jams. Remember, employment is never permanent. Who knows, you might even start your own business later in JB? Or would you prefer to spend these 300 days in a HDB? Maybe if you are alone, then it is not a problem, but with growing up kids as teenagers, you certainly need space in future.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Living in a landed house is so different. With a few kids around, everyone can find their own private rooms or space. The older folk can have his own space in the living hall seperated from the dining and kitchen and away from the kids too. Outside you have a dog on the porch and your car parked in the shade. The hall ceiling is high and the walls are wide. You spend 300 days in this house and if you wish, 65 days in hotels . In exchange, you sacrifice the daily hours in traffic jams. Remember, employment is never permanent. Who knows, you might even start your own business later in JB? Or would you prefer to spend these 300 days in a HDB? Maybe if you are alone, then it is not a problem, but with growing up kids as teenagers, you certainly need space in future.

Well said! I am thinking of starting a business if possible...was thinking car wash franchise.:p

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well said! I am thinking of starting a business if possible...was thinking car wash franchise.:p

There are lots of opportunities in JB/Malaysia, the marketplace is ripe for disruption, especially JB. I did some study in JB and there is a market for some professional services but i don't have anyone I trust to run it.

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are lots of opportunities in JB/Malaysia, the marketplace is ripe for disruption, especially JB. I did some study in JB and there is a market for some professional services but i don't have anyone I trust to run it.

As a customer used to Sg way of doing biz, I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for professional services/products I buy in JB. But would people like me constitute a large enough pool for sustained biz?

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
As a customer used to Sg way of doing biz, I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for professional services/products I buy in JB. But would people like me constitute a large enough pool for sustained biz?

The short answer is yes and no. Catering to the current needs and creating a market demand would be the key. Satisfying ppl like you as well as bringing up the old industry to a new level. In professional services business (low barrier to entry, no product based), your service itself is one factor but the people you hire is a much much bigger factor of eventual success. In Singapore, it's very saturated but in JB i can see a lot of growth potential.

Having said all these, would you be willing to give up your 6 figure salary for this?

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
The short answer is yes and no. Catering to the current needs and creating a market demand would be the key. Satisfying ppl like you as well as bringing up the old industry to a new level. In professional services business (low barrier to entry, no product based), your service itself is one factor but the people you hire is a much much bigger factor of eventual success. In Singapore, it's very saturated but in JB i can see a lot of growth potential.

Having said all these, would you be willing to give up your 6 figure salary for this?

I'm currently enjoying life, spending time in SG & JB. Earning 6 figures in SG was very STRESSFUL, so I chose to stop ACTIVE working life some 7 yrs back after having accumulated enough to lead a quite comfortable life without cutting back too much on expenses. I took on a couple of projects since then and find them very enjoyable as I do not have to worry about the projects which were the responsibilities of the Project Mgr. I'm sure there are similar folks like me whom enjoy providing professional services, but not sure if JB folks are prepared to pay since everything is calculated base on RM, while service provided are based on presumably S$.

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm currently enjoying life, spending time in SG & JB. Earning 6 figures in SG was very STRESSFUL, so I chose to stop ACTIVE working life some 7 yrs back after having accumulated enough to lead a quite comfortable life without cutting back too much on expenses. I took on a couple of projects since then and find them very enjoyable as I do not have to worry about the projects which were the responsibilities of the Project Mgr. I'm sure there are similar folks like me whom enjoy providing professional services, but not sure if JB folks are prepared to pay since everything is calculated base on RM, while service provided are based on presumably S$.

We now talking totally off topic. lol

Don't misunderstand, its not charge SGD for Malaysia services but charge RM for Malaysia services. Each deal I close now is about S$40-60k/month in service fees so in JB, quantum would be a little higher RM60-70k/month for various reasons. The services are to companies not individuals. Recently a European MNC based in JB contracted us for RM105k job, because they can't find anyone in JB to handle their project. Seems to me like a waste of money as I'm sure someone locally can handle it. Like if I setup a company and run it myself :p

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
We now talking totally off topic. lol

Don't misunderstand, its not charge SGD for Malaysia services but charge RM for Malaysia services. Each deal I close now is about S$40-60k/month in service fees so in JB, quantum would be a little higher RM60-70k/month for various reasons. The services are to companies not individuals. Recently a European MNC based in JB contracted us for RM105k job, because they can't find anyone in JB to handle their project. Seems to me like a waste of money as I'm sure someone locally can handle it. Like if I setup a company and run it myself :p

You're absolutely right. My apologies to all and I shall go no further.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Najib: S'pore and KL to sign high-speed rail MOU in July
PUBLISHED
MAY 18, 2016, 5:00 AM SGT

LONDON • A memorandum of understanding (MOU) to facilitate the High-Speed Rail (HSR) project between Singapore and Malaysia is expected to be signed in July, Prime Minister Najib Razak has revealed.

"We expect to sign the MOU with Singapore in July. That's the target," he said at a Bursa Malaysia private breakfast session with fund managers at Marlborough House in London on Monday.

In his opening remarks to about 30 top UK fund managers, Datuk Seri Najib said the project would cut travelling time from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur to about 90 minutes, reported Bernama news agency. The project "has aroused a lot of excitement worldwide", he said.

He cited the project as one of the many projects being implemented in Malaysia to improve the country's infrastructure and boost the economy. The other projects highlighted by Mr Najib were the Pan-Borneo Highway, the Penge- rang Refinery and Petrochemical Integrated Development project, and the Malaysian Vision Valley project in Nilai, Negri Sembilan, though he did not provide further details.

Citing diplomats, the New Straits Times reported that the signing of the document was expected to be witnessed by both Mr Najib and Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong in Kuala Lumpur.

Signing of the MOU will pave the way for detailed negotiation of the main agreement on the planning, development and execution of the High-Speed Rail linking the two countries, as well as operations.

The proposed 350km-long HSR line will begin in Bandar Malaysia and end at Jurong East in Singapore, reported Bernama.

Construction work on the HSR has been scheduled to begin next year and completion of the project is slated for 2022.

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/najib-spore-and-kl-to-sign-high-speed-rail-mou-in-july

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore will be starting the court trial of the money laundering case involving the BSI Swiss bank and its scandalous dealings with 1MDB.
It is really a catch 22 situation for SG to proceed with the case.
SG has to maintain its reputation as an international financial centre that is efficient and clean while this BSI case exposed a scandalous mega money laundering activities happening right here over the last few years.
So going ahead to prosecute the bank and the offenders will be inevitable.
During the trial, several names involved in 1MDB will be mentioned and certain name if mentioned, may affect the relationship between the two nations.
So, it is a case whereby do or don't do will have some severe repercussions.
Hence, I got a feeling that the July Ministerial meeting may be postponed.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore will be starting the court trial of the money laundering case involving the BSI Swiss bank and its scandalous dealings with 1MDB.
It is really a catch 22 situation for SG to proceed with the case.
SG has to maintain its reputation as an international financial centre that is efficient and clean while this BSI case exposed a scandalous mega money laundering activities happening right here over the last few years.
So going ahead to prosecute the bank and the offenders will be inevitable.
During the trial, several names involved in 1MDB will be mentioned and certain name if mentioned, may affect the relationship between the two nations.
So, it is a case whereby do or don't do will have some severe repercussions.
Hence, I got a feeling that the July Ministerial meeting may be postponed.

Bye Bye Singapore....Finally...it is the end of the HSR for Singapore is in sight.
Last stop Gerbang Nusajaya, maybe with a connecting rail to Forest City.
I always said HSR will go ahead with or without Singapore.
No more fighting, no more gripe. Just live separate ways. You guys got your wish. :smile:

Last edited:

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bye Bye Singapore....Finally...it is the end of the HSR for Singapore is in sight.
Last stop Gerbang Nusajaya, maybe with a connecting rail to Forest City.
I always said HSR will go ahead with or without Singapore.
No more fighting, no more gripe. Just live separate ways. You guys got your wish. :smile:

As the court trial in SG proceeds and investigations continues in Switzerland, US, Hongkong, Luxemburg, etc. definitely certain powerful people will be implicated or even being prosecuted.

But don't forget, which party is most interested to develop the HSR and who will be finally financing the project.
This line between SG and KL is the final leg of the railway line from China to Southeast Asia, with Singapore being the most important final destination.
China knows very well that SG would simply love to be the terminal point of this rail line and the economic benefits it will bring, so they need not do anything with SG.
In the past year, China had been very busy currying favour in MY, spending billions$$$ buying completely useless power stations from 1MDB and committing another billions $$$ into the stock and bond market.
Of course, this action was also trying to have MY to be neutral or at least make less noise in the South China Sea spat.
They will not let this ambitious project be stillborn.