• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Alex Liang Gave Up Sinkie Passport because of PAP Regime

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was born and bred in Singapore but moved to the UK when I was 21 and eventually naturalised as a British citizen after seven years here - I am 37 today. I left Singapore because I had no faith in the government there. Singaporean males were discriminated against by the government because of the compulsory national service and many years of reservist obligations afterwards. That is compounded by the fact that the Singapore government is actively wooing skilled migrants to Singapore. Their "foreign talent" programme gives these migrants all kinds of advantages that locals are not entitled to. I gave two years and four months of my life to serve in the army and my reward is to be treated like a second-class citizen. I wasn't prepared to fight the system, so I simply left and settled in the UK instead. Alex Liang, London

You can read Alex plight from:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24357407

SECTION 18.

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
.... you had no faith in Goh Meng Seng ? :o

Bro. let me do some simple calculation for you.

Alex Liang Age 37: 2013
Alex Liang Age 21: 1997
Alex Liang got his UK passport at age 28: 2004

At that time, GMS was not "popular" yet as Sinkie only know him since 2006 GE.

ok? :*:

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
That time 1997 was not as bad in peesai. But he made a right move as it has gotten worst in peesai.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
From the same article we find an Ah neh, maybe future new Shittizen? interesting to note that while a locally breed and born Singaporean chose to give up his passport for a British one, an Ah neh is willing to do the same for a HK, SG one soon.

6. Born and brought up in India, I decided to turn in my Indian passport three years ago and apply for a Hong Kong passport and the accompanying Chinese nationality. This was when I had lived out of India and called HK home for 12 years. My HK passport is something I cherish and feel proud to present in different countries. Quite enjoy telling people I am now technically "Chinese". While I am currently based in Singapore for work reasons, my family is still in HK and I see my own family roots only strengthening in HK. Last but not the least is the issue of the enormous number of visas that Indian passport holders needed. Pretty much every country I travelled to on the Indian passport needed me to have a visa - mostly in advance, sometimes on arrival - making professional travel utterly painful. Anant Deboor, Hong Kong/Singapore

Pioneer

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was born and bred in Singapore but moved to the UK when I was 21 and eventually naturalised as a British citizen after seven years here - I am 37 today.

Bro. let me do some simple calculation for you.

Alex Liang Age 37: 2013
Alex Liang Age 21: 1997
Alex Liang got his UK passport at age 28: 2004

May have obtained UK passport at a age later than 28. Naturalised as a British citizen after seven years - don't think those years on student visa counted for naturalization. He may need work visa after graduating which may/may not be counted for naturalization.

Pioneer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Born and brought up in India, I decided to turn in my Indian passport three years ago and apply for a Hong Kong passport and the accompanying Chinese nationality. This was when I had lived out of India and called HK home for 12 years. My HK passport is something I cherish and feel proud to present in different countries. Quite enjoy telling people I am now technically "Chinese". While I am currently based in Singapore for work reasons, my family is still in HK and I see my own family roots only strengthening in HK. Last but not the least is the issue of the enormous number of visas that Indian passport holders needed. Pretty much every country I travelled to on the Indian passport needed me to have a visa - mostly in advance, sometimes on arrival - making professional travel utterly painful.
Anant Deboor, Hong Kong/Singapore

From the same article we find an Ah neh, maybe future new Shittizen? interesting to note that while a locally breed and born Singaporean chose to give up his passport for a British one, an Ah neh is willing to do the same for a HK, SG one soon.

Does not looks like he is applying for Singapore citizenship, he is in Singapore for work reasons. He said he see my own family roots only strengthening in HK. And he cherish his Hong Kong passport and feel proud presenting the HongKong passport in different countries.

Not surprising because it is kind of cool to have an Indian having chinese citizenship.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The guy's nothing but a quitter. When the going got tough, he bailed out like the coward that he is.

TopSage

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is sad to hear people "quit" their own countries.

However, you think about it there are 200 countries in the world to choose from, there is likely to be one better than the one you're born it. Then think again, for most people, there will never be a country where you have so many friends, relations, memories, than the one they are born in. If we think only in terms of economic factors to go where we can enjoy the best life economically most will all immigrants.

All depends on your values, emotional ties ...whether you want to cut these. No doubt many of us are angry with the PAP for the way they do things but most of us prefer to stay and fight for change rather than to run away.

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its not sad at all, if humans never migrated we would all still be Africans.

However, you think about it there are 200 countries in the world to choose from, there is likely to be one better than the one you're born it. Then think again, for most people, there will never be a country where you have so many friends, relations, memories, than the one they are born in. If we think only in terms of economic factors to go where we can enjoy the best life economically most will all immigrants.

All depends on your values, emotional ties ...whether you want to cut these. No doubt many of us are angry with the PAP for the way they do things but most of us prefer to stay and fight for change rather than to run away.

Getloud

Alfrescian
Loyal

I respect your decision to stay on and fight.
For me, not easy to leave everything here and move on.
But thinking longer term, I see no future in SG, whether PAP or opposition in power.
The damage PAP has done is too great to rectify within a few years.
SG will never be the same again, like in the past.

Last edited:

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal

This foreign talent considered PRC or Indian? Whichever one we scold, he will also kanna. :biggrin: