• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Today I am going to JB for dental......

TopSage

Alfrescian
Loyal
My regular dentist is located near the Holiday Plaza. When I was young, my mom brought me to
polyclinic for dental treatment. Because the PAP govt frowns upon subsidised dental treatment, instead of growing
and improving the availabilty of such services they underinvested in it and force poor people to queue for months for dental treatment. The idea, I guess, is to force people to private dental care like the highly profitable Q&M chain of dental clinic that is listed on the stock exchange. You look at their pricing which is typical of private dental clinic and you can faint if you are poor ....

www.qandm.com.sg/FAQs.aspx

What left is thanks to proximity to JB, there is plenty of affordable dental services there. Why is this so?,The Malaysian govt, despite what we see as ineptness in many areas, does invest in public dental services , the dental treatment at a malaysian govt clinic has an average waiting time of no more than 20 mins and charges RM$1. That means private dentist cannot charge too high for treatment.
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Malaysia_Today/ar/t932.htm
Increasing number of singaporeans have to depend on Malaysia for their dental treatment as medical cost escalates in singapore and the singapore govt under invests in healthcare. It is ironic that we have to depend on a country that our govt view as an adversary to spend billions on defense taking away money that should be spent on healthcare for basic human needs ...an increasing number of elderly are put in old age homes in JB, pple like me have to get dental treatment there, I hear so many now even go to malaysian hospitals to give birth and for medical treatment....you really wonder what we should be fighting ....LKY's old ghosts or this govt that is taking so much from the people.
-----------------------------------
http://www.straitstimes.com/premium...nth-wait-polyclinic-dental-treatment-20130328

Story

18-month wait for polyclinic dental treatment

I VISITED a dentist at Jurong Polyclinic on Nov 2, 2011, and had a partially broken molar

I was shocked to be given a follow-up appointment for

scaling and polishing on May 7 this year - a gap of 11/2 years. I was told this was because there were too many

patients seeking appointments.

I resigned myself to the long

wait. However, the filling in my tooth came off recently.

Being in pain, I called the polyclinic to request that my dental appointment be brought forward, but was told there were no available slots.

The operator advised me to keep calling to check if anyone cancelled an appointment, so I could take that slot.

I was also told to check with the dentist if he would cap my broken tooth, as my next appointment was for scaling.

I was also dismayed to know that treatment was carried out by oral hygiene therapists, and not dentists.

We are advised to see the dentist every six months, so why are polyclinic appointments spaced so far apart?

This was not the case five years ago. Then, patients could have their teeth scaled, polished and filled all at the same appointment.

I hope the Health Ministry will raise the standard of public dental services, and also look into offering subsidised dental treatment at selected private clinics to ease the crunch at public clinics.

Sundram Muthiah

Last edited:

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the old days, sinkies used to go to jb for a good screw. But thanks to prc, cost of getting one in geylang has come down.
In other words, if you allow prc dentist to work, no need go jb for treatment.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do they still offer free dental treatments in school? I remember when I was in Primary school every school kids have dental checks free.

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My regular dentist is located near the Holiday Plaza.
Sundram Muthiah

lianbeng replies TopSage n Sundram Muthiah: u not scared of HIV ah? :biggrin: those drug addicts anyhow discard their shared needles n syringes everywhere in the backlanes leh!

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do they still offer free dental treatments in school? I remember when I was in Primary school every school kids have dental checks free.

lianbeng replies u: Institute of Dental Health @ Institute of Health @ Hyderabad Road!:biggrin:

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
My regular dentist is located near the Holiday Plaza. When I was young, my mom brought me to
polyclinic for dental treatment. Because the PAP govt frowns upon subsidised dental treatment, instead of growing
and improving the availabilty of such services they underinvested in it and force poor people to queue for months for dental treatment. The idea, I guess, is to force people to private dental care like the highly profitable Q&M chain of dental clinic that is listed on the stock exchange. You look at their pricing which is typical of private dental clinic and you can faint if you are poor ....

I done that many years back when I fractured my tooth and needed a root canal. Was told that as 'subsidized' patient my waiting time is 1 year at IDH and will probably cost me over 1k. I went to a clinic in Taman Sentosa, they attended to me immediately and get it done within 2 months and cost me SGD 400+. From then, I never believe in this 'subsidize' bullshit from MOH.

Pioneer

Alfrescian
Loyal
The idea, I guess, is to force people to private dental care like the highly profitable Q&M chain of dental clinic that is listed on the stock exchange. You look at their pricing which is typical of private dental clinic and you can faint if you are poor ....
www.qandm.com.sg/FAQs.aspx

Agree, those dental fees from the private sector is expensive but the dental fees in Singapore is still cheaper than the First World countries.. A one surface filling at Q&M in Singapore costs $58.85 while in Australia, it costs $85.69 for a one surface metalic restoration.

Singapore government should publish a list of fees for various dental services like those in most western countries.

http://www.health.vic.gov.au/dentistry/key-policies.htm

Click State rate fees for private schemes, August 2013 to see dental fees or this link http://docs.health.vic.gov.au/docs/doc/8303FE7C76107E42CA257BB20000A8DC/$FILE/2013-14%20Private_scheme_fees.pdf

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Being transparent is not their forte.Being able to hide and run away from public scrutiny is their way of running this island.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
You also forgot that with private health fund this is reduced depending on your plan.

Agree, those dental fees from the private sector is expensive but the dental fees in Singapore is still cheaper than the First World countries.. A one surface filling at Q&M in Singapore costs $58.85 while in Australia, it costs $85.69 for a one surface metalic restoration.

Singapore government should publish a list of fees for various dental services like those in most western countries.

Click State rate fees for private schemes, August 2013 to see dental fees or this link http://docs.health.vic.gov.au/docs/doc/8303FE7C76107E42CA257BB20000A8DC/$FILE/2013-14%20Private_scheme_fees.pdf

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agree, those dental fees from the private sector is expensive but the dental fees in Singapore is still cheaper than the First World countries.. A one surface filling at Q&M in Singapore costs $58.85 while in Australia, it costs $85.69 for a one surface metalic restoration.......

But, but, ...... "lesser mortals" aren't as well paid as those in the 1st world. Those 1st worlders are enjoying benefits like minimum pay.

Isn't that why Sporeans are moving where the grass is greener:confused:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Whenever I am in LOS I try to visit the dentist for a clean up. The dentists there charge 500 to 600 baht($25).

TopSage

Alfrescian
Loyal

You forget in Australia, they have a 1st world wage structure, in Singapore we have a 3rd world wage structure that necessitate the availability of low cost healthcare.

Anyway I thought there are public dentists in Australia? ..maybe I'm mistaken.

TopSage

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm nearing the Causeway on my Singapore-Johor Express bus. Will chat with you guys once I get back to Singapore.

Don't you find it strange....our leaders always tell us that JB is an unsafe place full of crime unlike Singapore, yet one minister feels it is perfectly safe to put our elderly in JB. Lets be clear, I'm here not out choice by necessity because basic care in Singapore has become unaffordable for many....and so has elderly care and many will be forced to come here....even as the PAP overcrowds the island with foreigners.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dental in OZ is cheap because of the fact that ozzies earn 3 times more than average sinkee. Dishwashers earn about 30 bucks an hour on weekends.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm nearing the Causeway on my Singapore-Johor Express bus. Will chat with you guys once I get back to Singapore.

Don't you find it strange....our leaders always tell us that JB is an unsafe place full of crime unlike Singapore, yet one minister feels it is perfectly safe to put our elderly in JB. Lets be clear, I'm here not out choice by necessity because basic care in Singapore has become unaffordable for many....and so has elderly care and many will be forced to come here....even as the PAP overcrowds the island with foreigners.

My wife did a surgery extracting a wisdom tooth at Taman Sentosa that cost her about $300 sing dollars. The same surgery was quoted to her at Woodlands for 1k plus.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
since you're such an insightful and talented stock trader, you should have no problem getting the best and highest priority dental care in sg. :biggrin: