• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Illegal set-top boxes seized by StarHub in raid

Ultŕaman

Alfrescian
Loyal

Updated: 09/20/2013 14:41 | By Channel NewsAsia

Illegal set-top boxes seized by StarHub in raid

39D49653894871F3FF55E27EE9646.jpg

SINGAPORE: Pay TV operator StarHub said it has successfully raided a storage facility and uncovered a few hundred illegal set-top boxes. It said the raid, carried out earlier this week, was done with help of the Singapore Police.

StarHub said that since early this year, it has been tracking a syndicate distributing sales flyers for the sale of illegal set-top boxes that claim to be able to unscramble its TV content.

After months of investigation, it managed to identify the importer of these boxes.

StarHub said it will follow up with criminal prosecution against the importer.

StarHub added that it is currently migrating pay-TV customers customers to a new encryption standard that cannot be unscrambled by existing illegal boxes.

Ms Jeannie Ong, chief marketing officer for StarHub, said: "StarHub takes a very serious view of content piracy and the sale of illegal boxes. As these illegal boxes are not made available through StarHub, consumers who purchase these decoders are doing so at their own risk.

"We strongly encourage consumers not to purchase these illegal set-top boxes. We will continue to employ both legal and technological means to safeguard our content." - CNA/ac

TopSage

Alfrescian
Loyal
Star hub going to Nagravison 3 encryption or what is commonly known as N3.
It has already been cracked

PhuaCheeBye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The flyer in my letterbox ... how did it get there. My fromt etterbox is locked against junk mail. But somehow, this flyer for setup box is in my letterbox. I am sure the Singpost postmen or postwomen are bribed by the illegal operators to send flyers for them.

What a joke!

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The flyer in my letterbox ... how did it get there. My fromt etterbox is locked against junk mail. But somehow, this flyer for setup box is in my letterbox. I am sure the Singpost postmen or postwomen are bribed by the illegal operators to send flyers for them.

What a joke!
Postman or someone in town council kelong la!

csi88

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am wondering,they installed this mini lock and yet flyers still can be found inside.Then must well dun install at all.Never see my MP.Only near election then will knock on my door,blur blur blur.......If I got chance sure pose this question.

PhuaCheeBye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am wondering,they installed this mini lock and yet flyers still can be found inside.Then must well dun install at all.Never see my MP.Only near election then will knock on my door,blur blur blur.......If I got chance sure pose this question.
The MP will tell you its an honest mistake!

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yep...obviously some form of corruption on the ground.... does the PAP or Singpost care? obviously not cos they are too busy with their elitist affairs!

Aiyo pappies dun even lose any sleep over hdb heartland ah long problem....
You think they will bother with your junk mail/ unsolicited mail issues?

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
anyone is using the illegal set-top box ? are the channels transmission clear, how much is it ? can give a review ?

Getloud

Alfrescian
Loyal

What a joke!

It's a service only Singpost can provide if you pay them to put flyers into your letterbox.

csi88

Alfrescian
Loyal
I heard few mths later,this illegal channel cannot totally be see on tv.Is it true? Cos thinking of getting one

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
Illegal set-top boxes are always a temporary solution. Might as well just subscribe and not worry about such crap.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Illegal set-top boxes are always a temporary solution. Might as well just subscribe and not worry about such crap.

a basic subscription to SH TV costs $40. a illegal set-top box costs what $150-$200 with all channels ? you get your money worth even if the box can last for half a year only. think SH only catch & sue the sellers, not the end-users of those boxes.

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
a basic subscription to SH TV costs $40. a illegal set-top box costs what $150-$200 with all channels ? you get your money worth even if the box can last for half a year only. think SH only catch & sue the sellers, not the end-users of those boxes.

Ye, but how many hours a day and how many channels can you watch? It's not for me.

PissNPiss

Alfrescian
Loyal
Star hub going to Nagravison 3 encryption or what is commonly known as N3.
It has already been cracked

2 years ago i was in a factory in Ho Chi Minh which my Taiwanese friend is in-charge. He asked me to watch TV which showing Taiwanese news while he's busying something else. He told me they did not subscribe but simply insert the TV-thumbdrive which will show all TW progs. I wonder whether this can be done and available in Singapore, illegally, instead of having a setup box which is much bigger in size.

TopSage

Alfrescian
Loyal
using an illegal box is unethical and wrong.
I would forgive the poor who cannot afford the
pricing as the cable company.is a monopoly and has
excessive pricing. I look forward google TV that will break this monopoly.

I am familiar with starhub signal.and have captured it using
a card demodulated it for analysis. Open source software is sufficient
to decode their signal.
so will black boxes bought online or from
illegal vendors still work? yes because the N3
encryption upgrade is only applied to HD channels only
the box will still work for non HD channels
but will stop working for HD channels.