• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why juicing helps with diabetes, cancer,...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
bro, many funerals is 5 a year?

I attended 2 funeral in one year. Guy died when he was run over by an arty piece. The other was a falling accident.
Fortunately I got transferred out.

Heard many other stories such as mortar falling short , people getting VD,....

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Last time everyone super soldier lah. Training more siong than today's USA special forces too :rolleyes:

And last time PSLe, o level, A levels also more siong. Everything is more siong in the past lah. Your generation is better than today's generation, and today's generation will be better than future generation. Happy?

If You talk to the uncles training was even tougher when the mexcians were still around.
If you compare the training of the past & compare it with today, it was tougher in the past. This is a fact not just idle boasting.
However after finishing NS it was quite switch off. Some didn't even have to do reservist.

The education system in Spore has gotten tougher. I pity the students of today wasting so much time in schools instead of getting out there to start working.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How much is your health worth to you:confused:
Don't forget that you only have one body & if anything goes wrong with it you'll be stuck with it. The steps I've taken will hopefully maintain my quality of life.

There might never be enough proof for the skeptics on the value of going organic.:smile:
For me it's a simple case of taking precautions. Anyone who has spent any time in hospital would rather avoid it.

Is Organic Food Worth the Price?
By Nina Planck

Read more: http://www.oprah.com/food/Food-Writer-Nina-Planck-Gives-O-the-Lowdown-on-Organic-Food#ixzz2d2rqiBKv

As the recession lingers on, food writer Nina Planck tackles this controversial question.

When I was a kid, my summer job was selling vegetables at roadside stands and farmers' markets near our Virginia farm. "Is this organic?" customers would ask. "No," I'd say, "but we don't use pesticides, our chickens run free on grass, and our produce is fresh and local." I was barefoot, smudgyfaced, and barely 10 years old, which may or may not have enhanced my credibility. But I usually made the sale.

We didn't bother to go organic officially because it involved a lot of red tape and extra expense, and at the time, there were multiple standards by multiple certifying bodies. Our food was certainly green, and our little farm thrived. Today, however, the term organic is defined by a strict set of federal regulations. Crops bearing the USDA organic seal of approval are raised without synthetic pesticides, petroleum-based fertilizers, or sewage sludge (semisolid leftovers from wastewater plants used as fertilizer). Organic animals consume organic feed and must have access to the outdoors. They are not treated with antibiotics or growth hormones. The organic label also means your food was not genetically engineered or treated with radiation to prolong shelf life.

These all seem like admirable standards with the consumer's best interests in mind. So, understandably, it came as quite a shock to health-minded shoppers when the British government's Food Standards Agency released a review last year pronouncing organic produce to be no more nutritious than the conventional kind. Organics advocates called the UK review flawed and incomplete, and its authors biased. They contended that the study didn't include recent data showing that organic food delivers many advantages (less exposure to potentially harmful chemicals, for example), and that the concluding statement buried any pro-organic news the researchers did find (like the fact that organic produce contains more of certain beneficial minerals). They claimed that some of the studies included in the review were poorly designed, others seriously outdated. "These findings are wrong," Patrick Holden, director of the Soil Association, Britain's leading organic organization, says flatly. "Organic food is better for the planet, and it's better for you."

New (and old) reasons to go organic

Some reasons to buy organics are well known: The French Agency for Food Safety recently confirmed that they contain more antioxidants, heart-healthy polyunsaturated fatty acids, iron, and magnesium than nonorganic foods. Even the UK review presented data showing more magnesium and zinc and more antioxidant phytochemicals, such as phenols and flavonoids, in organic crops. And a five-year study by 33 universities, research centers, and companies funded by the European Commission—believed to be the largest study of its kind—determined that organic produce such as cabbage and potatoes contained more vitamin C (another antioxidant); that organic tomatoes contained more nutrients overall; and that organic dairy foods contained more omega-3 fatty acids and cancerfighting conjugated linoleic acid (CLA). This study, which will be published spring 2010, also uncovered lower levels of such contaminants as heavy metals, mycotoxins (by-products of fungal infections), and pesticide residues in organic foods. Several studies have linked pesticides used on conventionally grown produce to the neurological diseases Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.

A lack of pesticide exposure is an important reason organic produce has higher levels of beneficial antioxidants like vitamin C, which fight the free radicals implicated in aging, cancer, and heart disease. Antioxidants are actually part of a plant's own defenses. In fruits and vegetables, these bitter elements help fend off attacks by bugs and fungi. Organic crops contain more of these compounds because they have to work harder to protect themselves—no man-made pesticides to the rescue, says Holden.

In addition, organic produce is free of synthetic nitrogen fertilizer, which can also weaken plants' health. "Nitrogen produces a watery, sugary cell sap that compromises the plant's ability to build its immune system," says Holden. Plants that come to rely on the chemical can no longer fend off pests naturally. Crops that are treated with the synthetic fertilizer also have overly leafy growth and poor flavor, as farmers have long known. That's because the plants' natural immune system of antioxidants is what makes produce aromatic and savory. In other words, a healthy plant makes a healthy meal—and a tastier one.

The same could be said about animals. You are what they eat. In 2006 the Journal of Dairy Science published the results of a British study showing a direct link between organic farming and higher levels of omega-3 fats in cow's milk. According to the research, the average pint of (British) organic milk contains 68.2 percent more omega-3 fats than nonorganic milk. That makes sense: Grass (rather than corn and soybeans) is what cows will eat when left to their own devices, and it's loaded with these essential fatty acids. In one of the unfortunate oversights in U.S. organic regulations, cows on some large-scale organic farms rarely graze on fresh grass, and instead are largely confined to feed lots. But this year a new USDA rule should close the loophole. To find dairy products that are produced from pasture-grazed cows, check the Dairy Scorecard at Cornucopia.org.

While studies have shown that organic food can contain more nutrients, recent data highlights specific benefits to those who eat it. A 2007 Dutch study published in the British Journal of Nutrition found that babies who ate organic dairy (and whose nursing mothers did, too) had a 36 percent lower incidence of eczema. A separate 2007 Dutch study found that women who drink organic milk have breast milk with much higher levels of CLA, a fatty acid with significant antioxidant properties.

In the end it's clear that organic food is worth the premium it commands at the grocery store. As the authors of the UK review put it themselves: "The differences in...nutrients and other substances between organically and conventionally produced crops and livestock products are biologically plausible and most likely relate to differences in crop or animal management, and soil quality." That's sciencespeak for precisely what organic farmers have said all along. Organic farming is not merely about eliminating bad things, like weed killer. It's about raising soil fertility with proven methods, both modern and traditional, such as mulch and compost. So it shouldn't come as a surprise that the healthier the soil, the healthier the plants and animals that depend on its nutrients—us included.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For those with a health problem & need help in healthy life style skills you may want to consider going for a health retreat in Malacca where they will teach you what to eat, how to cook, de-stressing skills, etc.
The cost includes enough room for 2 to attend. The 2nd person will be the one doing all the cooking:biggrin:

The address can be found at their web site http://health.aenon.org.my/

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I went to Nature's Glory to shop for my organic produce & they were out of stock of some of the items I was looking for. Found out that the best time to shop is on a Wednesday because that is when the shipment from Australia arrives.

So go there on Wednesdays for the best selection.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
how long u wanna live in SG... it cost u more if u live longer

Still looking at all my options. I'm in no rush as I'm financially ok. Don't have expensive habits like car ownership, gambling, etc.

Focusing on health issues because I want to make sure I have a reasonable quality of life to enjoy the my nest egg :smile:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
johnny333 or anyone could recommend a good juicer for fruits and vegetables? I heard before that it will be good if the electric motor is away from the actual juicing location as EMF generated from the motor could destroy the good stuff in the juice.\

Something like this

alpha-juicer-wine-color.jpg

Last edited:

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sticking to a sensible healthy diet is a big ask for singos. Theres too much temptation around. Healthy eating is an acquired taste.

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
johnny333 or anyone could recommend a good juicer for fruits and vegetables? I heard before that it will be good if the electric motor is away from the actual juicing location as EMF generated from the motor could destroy the good stuff in the juice.\

Something like this

View attachment 14939

I read about nutri bullet, u can check it out. I may buy one on amazon but read it's not lasting

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Something like this

View attachment 14939

The photo shows a masticating juicer. It runs slower than those cheap & noisy centrifugal juicer e.g. Phillips, Braun,.. . The slow speed is an advantage as less heat is produce. Heat can damage the nutrient of the produce you are juicing. If your budget allows it you should consider getting a masticating juicer.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=omega+juicers

The Omega The Hurom brand of juicers are masticating juicers. Omega OEMs some of their products from the same factory that makes the Hurom juicers. If you look at the Hurom model, it is actually a masticating that has been designed upwards rather than sideways.

You have probably heard of the Gerson Therapy. The juicer that they recommends is the Norwalk. You can see a Norwalk at Natures Glory at http://www.natures-glory.com/contactus.asp
However they no longer sell it but they do have one on display. You have to order one directly from the US for US$2,495. I did consider getting the Norwalk despite it's size, cost & troublesome operation.
What made me decide to get the Angel Juicer is this video:
[video=youtube;-roFYa1wPpk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-roFYa1wPpk[/video]

The Angel juicer is compact & all stainless steel. It is a twin gear system from Korea. It is one of the more expensive brands out there. I paid US$1,300 for it. I juice organic produce everyday. Anyone who buys organic produce can tell you that it is expensive & you want to make sure to squeeze every drop that you can :smile:

You will notice that the Angel Juicers is much smaller & the noise level is lower. It produces more juice than the Norwalk juicer. It is also easy to take apart & clean. You can read the specs of the angel juicer here http://www.angeljuicer.com.au/

You can buy it locally in Spore but I decided to get it directly from the company in Korea as you get a longer warranty. Buying it directly from Korea you also get to choose the voltage & plug.
If you want to buy direct you can visit their site at http://www.angel-juicer.com/en/

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another video you might find interesting

[video=youtube;mOPDIKfulgg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOPDIKfulgg[/video]

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I read about nutri bullet, u can check it out. I may buy one on amazon but read it's not lasting

I have something that looks like a Nutri bullet. It is a mini blender. The unit I have is very noisy.
The reason it is useful is because it is easier to clean than my full sized blender i.e. a Phillips

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I tried my very best getting a juicer for fruits and vegetables but could not handle the veg juice. Even blended felt like puking. Got tired of juiced fruit. Now predominately a fish based diet. I admire you guys who can handle it.

I have something that looks like a Nutri bullet. It is a mini blender. The unit I have is very noisy.
The reason it is useful is because it is easier to clean than my full sized blender i.e. a Phillips

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i have 2 expensive juicers sitting idle in the cabinets. don't bother to juice these days. after washing and cutting up vege and fruit, just eat them. it helps with jaw and cheek muscles. plus, they taste better crunchy. :biggrin:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Hi johnny333, first of a a big thank you for the constructive reply which really is helpful. I wish to start my juicing regime soon. I have a juicer that looks like the one I showed but its like probable the first generation type and I don't like to use it, the motor is so heavy. I will go shop for one today armed with the knowledge you gave me.

I may have some questions about this so I hope you don't mind to reply even if you had replied somewhere here before

The Angel juicer is compact & all stainless steel. It is a twin gear system from Korea. It is one of the more expensive brands out there. I paid US$1,300 for it. I juice organic produce everyday. Anyone who buys organic produce can tell you that it is expensive & you want to make sure to squeeze every drop that you can :smile:

two questions here

1. If organic stuff is limited here in Thailand for whatever reason and if I need to use non-organic stuff

a. What do I need to take note of the vege in terms of selection?
b. How is the best way to prepare the vege? (i heard using white vinegar but I can imagine it will smell if juiced but not if cooked)

2. How often you drink the juice? What is the best frequency? Do you replace juice for any meals? When does our body absorbs the most nutrients from the juice?

Last edited: