• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Settling down in Perth

MenghidupKehadapan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Finally, after so many months of being in limbo, I am here in Perth.

Our home (my Bosses place) at Bullcreek is a gem. 4 bedrooms, 2 baths and fully furnished (by him) and a beautiful native plant garden that is tended to by a gentle soul of a gardener. The kids go to Rossmoyne, which is, from what I discovered, a highly coveted government school for locals.

Started the new job earlier this month and still need to adjust a bit to the aussie work ethic.

No problems with the boss, very knowledgeable, objective and focused in his decision making. Even better, he doesn't hound us incessantly with deadlines like my old boss in SG or expect you to work OT. Even with OT, where necessary, we bill the clients and we get paid for it!!

And BTW, no offense to my previous boss, but she is really wasting her time and talents in SG and strikes me more like a puppet to MOE than someone who can make any independent decisions.

Had a frank discussion with my Boss yesterday about how things were going for the mining industry and he was brutally frank; the building phase is tapering off, i.e.- big money contacts are coming to an end and scrutiny on safety will not be as severe during the plant's operational phase. However, opportunities exist in engaging clientele in improving their existing safety systems and convincing them of it's cost effectiveness vs. the consequences.

Well, I try not to read too much between the lines, but I'm glad for now I was given a portfolio of ongoing clients to work on.

Can't complain. Life here, although admittedly tough on the home front to get things set up, surely it s much healthy for the mind and body when it comes to work.

Really loving it here so far, just hope to be a credit to the company and repay my Boss for all that he has done solely on his trust for me!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Can't complain. Life here, although admittedly tough on the home front to get things set up, surely it s much healthy for the mind and body when it comes to work.

Really loving it here so far, just hope to be a credit to the company and repay my Boss for all that he has done solely on his trust for me!

As time passes, you should grow to love the place more and more. Perth was my first destination when I made my move. I then went East to Sydney with sojourns to Melbourne before finally settling in Auckland.

It's been a great 20 years. I can't imagine what my life would be like had I not started on this journey.

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
Welcome to Perth, bro. Great start to your new life. Spring is just around the corner, so its a great time to be here. Bull creek is pretty central to many places and convenient to many shopping and marketing areas, including asian shops, so it is a good place to stay.

Check out the military air museum in bull creek, some nice things to look at for the kids.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As time passes, you should grow to love the place more and more. Perth was my first destination when I made my move. I then went East to Sydney with sojourns to Melbourne before finally settling in Auckland.

It's been a great 20 years. I can't imagine what my life would be like had I not started on this journey.

Why Auckland? Just curious. Could have been North America? UK?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Why Auckland? Just curious. Could have been North America? UK?

I like the place... not too big... population of 1.5 million only and plenty of space for everyone.

The weather is great... cool all year round... hardly ever goes beyond 25degC. A bit too wet in late winter/early spring but I'm not complaining.

Cars/houses are cheap, plenty of open space for my hobbies, exchange rate vs OZ was great when I moved here.

I love parts of the US but I hate the whole of UK.

uwadockers

Welcome to Perth bro. Rossmoyne is a good school. You have done well. If you wish to get to know the Malay Singaporean community in Perth, drop me a pm. Will invite you if there's gathering. Cheers

MenghidupKehadapan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just in the middle of my 2nd quarter in Perth.

Love the weather! Summer so far has been wonderfully tame!

Had a drive down to Margaret River during the Xmas shutdown with the family, really enjoyed the weather, food and drink (yes, I do take sips here and there).

First day back at work and I'm all geared up for the New Year. We have secured 2 new corporate accounts that will my department through hopefully at least the next 3-4 years (2 at least), which means that so long as I am a team player, I'll be on track to applying for my PR in 2016/2017.

Bosses so far pretty pleased with my performance, noticing that I have a pretty good rapport with our clients and that they respond well to me despite our job inherently being "never having to meet a customer on a good day" (his words).

The job can get pretty tedious or stressful at times, but I have never felt such a close working team dynamic since my Army Days in Infantry.

But the best thing is getting paid for the hours I put in. I've never in my working life been paid to stay back to finish reports, but now, if need be, I can clock OT (still amazes me), at 1.5x after 5 hours of overtime! I estimate so far, in the past few months, I clock up an extra 20% of my salary per fortnight!

And my salary, compared to an instructor in ITE, is no slouch. Even after taxes, family expenses, 10% voluntary super contribution and sending money home to mum, we manage to put some aside to hopefully get a house of our own someday when I get my PR.

I count my blessings every day being here in Perth, and even more so that we managed to get almost literally the last ticket before the boat set sail!

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just in the middle of my 2nd quarter in Perth.

Love the weather! Summer so far has been wonderfully tame!

Had a drive down to Margaret River during the Xmas shutdown with the family, really enjoyed the weather, food and drink (yes, I do take sips here and there).

First day back at work and I'm all geared up for the New Year. We have secured 2 new corporate accounts that will my department through hopefully at least the next 3-4 years (2 at least), which means that so long as I am a team player, I'll be on track to applying for my PR in 2016/2017.

I count my blessings every day being here in Perth, and even more so that we managed to get almost literally the last ticket before the boat set sail!

Remind me of my early days, the moment the bank will lend me money, I went for an investment property before even buying my own house. I remember the bank asking me if I have enough savings for the deposit, I have more than enough to avoid paying the lenders Mortgage insurance.

That insurance is a double edged sword.
First, the insurance premium is paid by me,
second, the insurance protect the bank, and not me
Thirdly, should the bank make a claims, the insurer pay tha bank and sue me to recover the money they paid to the bank.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tat is y oz banks r fuck up. Not wonder wat they say is true. Banks own the government. For a country that talks so much cock about welfare etc. Banks n politicians n civil serpants really get taken care of. Like pap.

Remind me of my early days, the moment the bank will lend me money, I went for an investment property before even buying my own house. I remember the bank asking me if I have enough savings for the deposit, I have more than enough to avoid paying the lenders Mortgage insurance.

That insurance is a double edged sword.
First, the insurance premium is paid by me,
second, the insurance protect the bank, and not me
Thirdly, should the bank make a claims, the insurer pay tha bank and sue me to recover the money they paid to the bank.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tat is y oz banks r fuck up. Not wonder wat they say is true. Banks own the government. For a country that talks so much cock about welfare etc. Banks n politicians n civil serpants really get taken care of. Like pap.

Not sure what has it to do with PAP.
In Singapore, the Sinkees believe in the government and take in every word they say.
So, Sinkees have developed a dangerous dependency on PAP, worse than heroin or meth.

In Australia, we know (some even from schooldays) that the politicians have their selfish motives just as governments have their selfish motives.
That is explained all over by cartoons depicting politicians, governments, banks, lawyers, accountants, etc in bad light.
All these people have their own selfish motives, including the voters themselves.
These selfish motives are not necessarily for the common good.
That is why it is important to have checks and balances.

What Australia can do and have been doing is to mitigate this exploiter behaviour by reducing power, checking power and giving people rights and transpareny so that they can make their own choices.

No one will force you to buy a Lenders' Mortgage Insurance (https://www.commbank.com.au/persona...owing-options/lenders-mortgage-insurance.html)

But borrowers who are greedy to bite off more than they can chew, they take the risks, like what risk takers do. Banks have to protect themselves too.

Australia has too many welfare based government services, you just need to look for them, because they do not usually advertise anywhere else other then the White Pages - Government and government websites.

People are stupid, the govt can only do so much.

Some of the services provided or supported by govt.

http://www.financialliteracy.gov.au/
http://www.financialcounsellingaustralia.org.au/Home
http://www.fos.org.au/
https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/

People are also taking action, http://www.mauriceblackburn.com.au/...ent-class-actions/bank-fees-class-action.aspx

People have to fight for the good life.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TEpsntnoEIE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What I meant is Oz is like the PAP, welfare for politicians and cronies, look at how the fat cats are paid,,look at how big the bureaucracy, and not they have a deficit etc,,the middle class will suffer more,,if they get rid of the top10% fat cats,,I will dare say what deficit..

imperialarms

Alfrescian
Loyal
I like the place... not too big... population of 1.5 million only and plenty of space for everyone.

The weather is great... cool all year round... hardly ever goes beyond 25degC. A bit too wet in late winter/early spring but I'm not complaining.

Cars/houses are cheap, plenty of open space for my hobbies, exchange rate vs OZ was great when I moved here.

I love parts of the US but I hate the whole of UK.

Why do you hate the UK?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
E
What I meant is Oz is like the PAP, welfare for politicians and cronies, look at how the fat cats are paid,,look at how big the bureaucracy, and not they have a deficit etc,,the middle class will suffer more,,if they get rid of the top10% fat cats,,I will dare say what deficit..

I should say that politicians are the same all over.
What varies is the amount of corruption they can get away with.
Aussie pollies continue to envy PAP because of what they can get away with. With low transparency, controlled press and controlled opposition - you cannot get away in Australia. Gillard's ghost from her lawyer past haunt her throughout her PMship.

Noticed the go pollies are left alone by the press.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why do you hate the UK?

Welcome back. How is the UK for you?

LS has not respond to your question yet. So, I take liberty to express my views of the POMMY land.

My problem with the UK is still the good old class system - now extended to the comfy class of animal rights-type soy latte sipping ex-peasants, the nativism (quite as bad as its colony downunder) and their utterly utterly focus on petty details over the big picture.

Another thing is the stupid local councils and the equally stupid people who just will not let go of the past. Seen the Ch 4 Grand Design and you will understand what I mean.

Great Britannia is no longer, and the sun has set on the isles.

Too many bad decisions, recessions and extravagant public spending like NHS.

Pound foolish and penny wise. I will not step again into the gloomy isles. Even Scotland want independence.

Sorry!

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I see many Poms here, even the Poms wants to stay in aussieland. They used to be the largest migrants into this country now they are like 2nd or third behind the ah tiongs. As for the class system, you are right, I've met poms from london, essex, liverpool etc, depending where they are from they don't even want to talk to each other. How strange they will talk to an aussie no matter where he is from.

Welcome back. How is the UK for you?

LS has not respond to your question yet. So, I take liberty to express my views of the POMMY land.

My problem with the UK is still the good old class system - now extended to the comfy class of animal rights-type soy latte sipping ex-peasants, the nativism (quite as bad as its colony downunder) and their utterly utterly focus on petty details over the big picture.

Another thing is the stupid local councils and the equally stupid people who just will not let go of the past. Seen the Ch 4 Grand Design and you will understand what I mean.

Great Britannia is no longer, and the sun has set on the isles.

Too many bad decisions, recessions and extravagant public spending like NHS.

Pound foolish and penny wise. I will not step again into the gloomy isles. Even Scotland want independence.

Sorry!

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I see many Poms here, even the Poms wants to stay in aussieland. They used to be the largest migrants into this country now they are like 2nd or third behind the ah tiongs. As for the class system, you are right, I've met poms from london, essex, liverpool etc, depending where they are from they don't even want to talk to each other. How strange they will talk to an aussie no matter where he is from.

The accents makes a difference. That is why HongKongers in Civil Service imitate the Queens' English and not the Cockney English.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sounds more like a refugee camp to me.

:biggrin: Refugee playground. :biggrin:

From Pommy land convicts past & present - quarrying away

Margaret Thatchers' leftist refugees - now earning big money in constructions

Southern Africans post-apartheid refugees

Malaysian non-bumiputras refugees

and of course those kicked out by Singaporean powers, people like Amy Cheong

*** and Aston Casey family *** - most likely joining their "new money" mates in Mandurah, crabbing and fishing

*** Cpt Ryan Goh *** - http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?173601-Should-Anton-Casey-PR-be-revoked&p=1772152#post1772152

Last edited: