• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Barclays Premier League Season 2013-14 ║

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

FszERxc.jpg

g16ftFj.jpg

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

305571_thumb.jpg

Arsenal cannot sign Sebastian Perez, reveals Atletico Nacional director
The Colombian club's official says that the 20-year-old's hopes of a move to the Emirates Stadium have been "ruled out" due to work permit problems

298952_thumb.jpg

Kompany: Manchester City have the squad to compete for top honours
The 27-year-old defender is relishing the thought of bringing home silverware in the coming campaign and notes the side's growth under new manager Manuel Pellegrini

301808_thumb.jpg

Van Ginkel eager to stake claim in Chelsea first-team place
The Netherlands Under-21s international, who joined from Vitesse this summer, wants to force his way into the starting XI under new boss Jose Mourinho

279608_thumb.jpg

Arsenal re-open Sagna talks & target Uchida
Arsene Wenger makes an effort to reinforce his defence, with the Schalke right-back seen as a long-term successor to the Frenchman in competition with Carl Jenkinson

301500_thumb.jpg

Negredo: Bale not yet at Messi & Ronaldo's level
The Manchester City and Spain striker believes that the Welshman is not yet on a par with the two Liga stars

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Suarez denies claims he will stay at Liverpool

Aug 14, 2013 5:00:00 PM

299589_heroa.jpg

The Uruguay international had been quoted as saying that he has decided to remain at Anfield and that he will sign a new contract, but he has now rubbished the suggestion

Liverpool striker Luis Suarez has denied telling a Uruguayan newspaper that he will stay at Anfield.

Reports emerged from El Observador on Wednesday that Suarez had said the "affection" of the club's fans had convinced him to abandon plans to leave.

It would have represented a remarkable U-turn for the striker, who repeatedly stated his intention to leave Merseyside throughout summer and publicly welcomed interest from Arsenal.
But, speaking curtly to journalists following Uruguay's 4-2 win over Japan, Suarez rubbished reports that he has had a change of heart: "I didn't say it."

"Maybe someone else did, [but] the main thing is that I am here now with the national team," he was also reported as saying by Kyodo News.

Arsenal have had two bids rejected for Suarez, the latter of which amounted to a pound over £40 million and was thought by the player to have triggered a release clause in his contract.

However, Liverpool and the PFA have confirmed that no such clause exists in the player's deal, while reports have surfaced that Suarez is considering legal action over the club's refusal to release him.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Di Matteo: Man Utd won't sell Rooney to Chelsea

305555_heroa.jpg

Aug 14, 2013 5:51:00 PM

The Italian, who won the Champions League as Blues manager, argues that the Premier League champions are not the types to sanction sales of their best players to rivals

EXCLUSIVE
By Dennis Mabuka

Former Chelsea coach Roberto Di Matteo does not believe that Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney will complete a transfer to Stamford Bridge.

The 43-year-old argues that it would be impossible for the England striker, for whom the Blues have had two bids rejected, to end up at the London club because "United never sell their best players to rivals".

"Rooney is a top-class striker and a fantastic player, who can play for any team in the world, but I don't think Manchester United will allow him to join Chelsea. United are well known for not allowing their top players to join rival teams, especially in England," Di Matteo told Goal.

"He would definitely perform very well at the Bridge if he ends up moving but it would be one of the most shocking transfers should he join Chelsea."

United manager David Moyes has continually stressed that Rooney will stay at Old Trafford but Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has declared that their pursuit will continue until the end of the transfer window.

Di Matteo, who was in Kenya to launch a new fantasy game dubbed Guinness Football Manager, insists that he does not hold any grudge against Blues owner Roman Abramovich, who sacked him despite winning the Champions League and FA Cup titles in 2012.

"Most successful managers have been sacked, so I have great company there," he joked. "It's part of the experience. I'm now looking forward to winning many more things ahead.

"It was a fantastic experience working under him. Abramovich had his own opinion so sometimes we had to agree and sometimes disagree but, at the end of the day, we had to move on. He gave me the opportunity to serve the club and did my best and I am now looking to the future."

The Italian says that he is not looking to make an immediate comeback to the dugout, despite several clubs making contact with him.

"I'm going to take this year off," Di Matteo confirmed. "I've received many offers but I have to take a rest, regain all my energies before I return to coaching. I want to travel across Central Africa with my new role as the ambassador for Guinness and I will think about coaching after one year."

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

No wonder she's smiling! Christine Bleakley and Frank Lampard treat themselves to a Prada shopping spree

By DAILY MAIL REPORTER PUBLISHED: 13:00 GMT, 14 August 2013 | UPDATED: 15:06 GMT, 14 August 2013

Just like most women, Christine Bleakley loves designer clothes. And the TV presenter wore a beaming smile as she went on a shopping spree in London's Knightsbridge with her fiancé Frank Lampard on Tuesday. The former Dancing On Ice host, 34, was spotted strolling hand-in-hand with her Chelsea midfielder beau, who was carrying a large Prada shopping bag.

article-0-1B4A5520000005DC-129_634x744.jpg

Retail therapy: Frank Lampard and Christine Bleakley were spotted shopping at Prada in Knightsbridge, West London

The star looked summery in her casual outfit of skin-tight skinny jeans, a sleeveless olive green shirt, and tan-coloured strappy sandals. She also carried a white Louis Vuitton shoulder bag and added a touch of colour with some vibrant red nail polish.

Frank, 35, looked smart but laidback, wearing a navy blazer, white v-neck T-shirt, dark blue jeans and matching blue and white trainers.

article-0-1B4A5515000005DC-228_634x790.jpg

Big smiles: Christine Bleakley looked in high spirits after the shopping trip

The couple looked suntanned after their recent holiday to LA last month, which followed a trip to Ibiza together earlier in June. Frank, who signed a new one-year contract with west London team Chelsea in May, is getting ready to return to football. Earlier this year, the player said that he and Christine would ‘definitely’ get married but said they are yet to set a date.

article-0-1B4A569A000005DC-530_634x826.jpg

In love: The couple say they will 'definitely' marry but have not yet named a date

He told ITV show This Morning: ‘There are so many rumours about weddings getting postponed and all of this nonsense,’ ‘We never had any wedding planned but we certainly are going to get married. But we would love to do it when no-one knows and we’re just done. That would be our style, I think.' Meanwhile jetsetter Christine is set for more vacation time, but this time in the UK. She is set to host new ITV travel series, Country Roads, which will explore quirky and unusual holiday options within Britain.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sometimes I feel very average, admits Wenger as Arsenal boss provides insight into life in charge of the Gunners

By JOHN DRAYTON PUBLISHED: 15:07 GMT, 14 August 2013 | UPDATED: 16:01 GMT, 14 August 2013

Arsene Wenger has admitted that he feels 'very average' when Arsenal fail to deliver on the pitch. The Frenchman took over from former manager Bruce Rioch in 1996 but, although he has won the Premier League with the Gunners on three occasions, he has come under pressure in recent years for not winning a major trophy since the FA Cup victory in 2005.

In extracts from a new book called The Manager, which Wenger has contributed to, published in the Telegraph, he said: Unfortunately sometimes in the job I feel very average when I do not deliver results, but there is something in every individual that pushes him to try and be excellent. That is my petrol.

'If you want to make a career at a big club you must be capable to believe in your abilities, and to keep them in perspective off the field also. You can have players who appear quickly to have a big talent, but if they cannot handle keeping their feet on the ground and continue to improve, they will be eliminated.

article-0-1B3C26D2000005DC-732_634x423.jpg

Honest: Wenger has admitted that he feels 'very average' when he does not deliver results

'If a player is only motivated by money he will not go far. Players are made rich very quickly, so if he has the money and is only motivated by money where does he go? The players at the top are people who have a very strong internal need to be the best.

'One of the difficult things of being a manager is to sack 14 people every Friday morning - and then re-employ them on a Monday morning and say: "Right, we start again - I take you back on board."'

article-0-000C612C00000258-210_634x496.jpg

Younger days: Wenger (right) with Emmanuel Petit after Arsenal won the league in 1998

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Martinez convinced Baines will stay after United make 'final offer' for Everton star

By NIK SIMON PUBLISHED: 09:14 GMT, 14 August 2013 | UPDATED: 15:11 GMT, 14 August 2013

Roberto Martinez is adamant that Leighton Baines will not join Manchester United this summer. David Moyes has been linked with a swoop for the left-back but Martinez insists a £12million bid in June was United's 'final offer'. Team-mate Marouane Fellaini has also been tipped to follow Moyes to Old Trafford but the new Toffees boss insists Baines will not be heading for the exit.

article-0-1B3F244C000005DC-790_634x501.jpg

Staying: Martinez says Manchester United have made their final offer for Baines

article-0-1B46FE28000005DC-579_634x400.jpg

Welcome to the club: Martinez speaks at a lunch in Liverpool on Tuesday

'Before we went to Austria one club officially contacted ourselves with an offer and it was a final offer,' Martinez told the Liverpool Echo. 'They put something over and the valuation wasn’t anywhere near the quality of Leighton Baines.'That was the end of it but since then there’s been all the speculation, which has been part of what the transfer window is. 'There’s never been another club or anyone else putting in an offer for Leighton. Since then we’ve moved on and we’re continuing to focus on the start of the season.'

Martinez's suggestions dismiss speculation surrounding an improved offer for Baines, who will feature in England's friendly with Scotland on Wednesday night. The defender turns 29 this year and any offer above £12million would be difficult for the club to turn down given the player's age. United were expected to launch a £35million bid for both Baines and Fellaini but that now looks unlikely. Everton start their season at Norwich on Saturday and, if they reach the end of the window having kept hold of their main men, then it will have been a successful summer for Martinez.

article-2392715-1B18A144000005DC-382_634x424.jpg

Staying put: Baines will return to Everton after England duty on Wednesday night

article-0-1B2C278F000005DC-127_634x490.jpg

Pre-season: Baines has featured regularly in the Everton's fixtures

article-0-1B3F2994000005DC-284_634x421.jpg

New start: David Moyes won his first silverware with Man United in the Community Shield

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Go home and think about what you've done: Moyes reveals how he deals with unruly players and admits he avoids fining if he can

By ELLIOTT BRETLAND PUBLISHED: 10:20 GMT, 14 August 2013 | UPDATED: 12:12 GMT, 14 August 2013

New Manchester United boss David Moyes has revealed how he deals with ill-discipline. Filling the void left by arguably the greatest manager of all-time, Moyes arrived at Old Trafford from Everton early this summer and the pressure is on him to continue the amazing success Sir Alex Ferguson brought to the club during his 27 year tenure with the club.If that wasn't enough, the Scot has the unenviable task of dealing with Wayne Rooney's temperament and strong desire to leave the Premier League champions.

article-0-1B3F1457000005DC-803_634x442.jpg

Management: In a new book called 'The Manager', new Manchester United boss David Moyes has revealed how he deals with ill-discipline

It takes a good manager to deal with the trials and tribulations of one of the biggest clubs in the world and in extracts taken from a new book called The Manager, published in The Telegraph, Moyes talks about how he confronts players who don't tow the line. 'Discipline has to come from within. If that were so, I would not have it myself. I treat people with respect and I expect the same respect back.' said Moyes. 'If someone lets me down at any time, then it makes the relationship harder to work with.'

article-2392717-1B2B21F9000005DC-498_634x424.jpg

Testing: Moyes has had a difficult to start to life at Old Trafford with Wayne Rooney wanting to leave the club this summer

The 50-year-old, who collected the first trophy of his United stewardship last Sunday as the Red Devils beat Wigan in the Community Shield, admits he doesn't believe in fining players as it isn't really a big enough punishment; he'd much rather they were forced to think about what they'd done and learn from it.

He continued: 'I personally do not believe in fining people if I can help it. I have had to do it, but I am not a great believer in taking money away from people - it is not usually the best solution to indiscipline.' 'I would rather just remove the players from the environment - I think in its own way that is a bigger punishment.'

article-0-1B3F9BAE000005DC-98_634x401.jpg

First of many? Moyes began his United tenure with a win in his first competitive game as the club won the Community Shield

With wantaway United forward Rooney training with the reserves last week after injuring his shoulder during a behind-close-doors friendly with Real Betis, rumours soon escalated that Moyes had perhaps banished the England striker from the first team.

Not for the first time, the United boss had to deflect questions from the press and was adamant that Rooney chose to train away from the main squad.
Moyes knows from experience how the media can make his job more difficult than it already is and having managed Everton for 11 seasons he is all too aware that any change on the training ground will be picked up.

He said: 'It can cause other difficulties through the media with internet reporting, but by removing a player from the situation I am sending him home to think about what he has done. He will have to explain to his family why he is not training.'

article-0-1ACBFCA2000005DC-652_634x406.jpg

Learning curve: Moyes admits he would rather send a player home than fine them so they can think about what they've done

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fulham owner Shahid Khan will not rebrand the club as the Jaguars

Fulham owner Shahid Khan has ruled out rebranding Fulham as the Jaguars in the wake of Hull City having added Tigers to their name.

Shahid-Khan_2616546b.jpg

No name change: Shahid Khan says he will not follow Hull City Tigers by changing Fulham's name

By Telegraph Sport, and agencies
4:56PM BST 14 Aug 2013

Khan said Fulham's name is "historical" and does not plan to follow the lead of Hull City owner Assem Allam who wants the club to be known as Hull City Tigers nationally and Hull Tigers internationally.

It is a month since Pakistan-born billionaire Khan completed his purchase of the Premier League club.

Khan has been busy making his mark at the west London club, with on and off-field plans continuing apace.

One of his immediate goals is to create a links between Fulham and his NFL franchise Jacksonville Jaguars, who will play a regular season game at Wembley for the next four years.

Khan, though, is keen to stress such a tie-up will see both retain separate identities and promised never to change the club name like the high-profile case of Hull.

"We won't be becoming Fulham Jaguars," he said.

"I don't think they are the things [we would change]. Fulham Football Club is how it was way before my lifetime and that is hopefully how it will be a long time after I am gone.

"Both Fulham and the Jaguars really have to operate as their own entities and they have their own core fans and obviously the sports are unique.

"We want to look for areas where they can work together and I think most of those are going to be on the business side.

"Anything historical like that, I absolutely have no intention of messing with."

Khan has replaced Mohamed Al Fayed as owner after 16 years in which he transformed the Craven Cottage club.

The new owner has spoken to Al Fayed a few times since completing his takeover and plans are afoot to honour the former chairman.

Some fans suggest the renaming of the soon-to-be-redeveloped Riverside Stand in his honour would be a suitable gesture and is one of several ideas under consideration.

"Let's face it, I don't think the club would probably be around without Mr Al Fayed," Khan said.

"I think he is a huge part of Fulham and, with the role he played, you have to respect and honour him in some way.

"What exactly it is, there are a lot of irons in the fire but definitely I think you have to honour all his contributions towards Fulham."

Khan has been splitting his time between his Florida home and London since completing the takeover and will be at Craven Cottage for the first home game of the season against Arsenal.

He revealed a new signing is set to be announced imminently and more could follow before the big match as he looks for a year of improvement.

Asked what would represent a successful first year in charge, Khan said: "It is very simple: we got better. That would be for me what we want to do on and off the field.

"Number one is performance on the pitch. We finished 12th last season and I would hope we do better.

"Performance off the pitch is important and it is indicative that in future years that we have supporters, corporate and otherwise, that will help the club move forward."

(Edited by Radhika Sanghani)

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Stoke City striker Cameron Jerome fined £50,000 for breaching FA betting rules

Stoke striker Cameron Jerome has been fined £50,000 after he admitted breaching Football Association betting rules.

cameron-jerome_2643424b.jpg

Fined: Cameron Jerome (centre) punished for breaching betting rules Photo: AP

By Telegraph Sport, and agencies
10:39AM BST 14 Aug 2013

The 27 year-old was also warned as to his future conduct after admitting repeat breaches of the regulations. He has the right to appeal against the sanction.

A statement on the FA's website read: "Stoke City's Cameron Jerome has been fined £50,000, subject to any appeal, following an Independent Regulatory Commission hearing.

"Jerome, who was also severely warned as to his future conduct, admitted a number of breaches of The FA's Betting Rules and requested a personal hearing which took place on Tuesday 13 August 2013."

Jerome's charge was issued on Monday of last week. There has been no suggestion from the FA that Jerome has gambled on games he or Stoke were involved in, or that he is in any way involved in match-fixing.

The former England Under-21 international joined Stoke from Birmingham in August 2011 and scored twice in the club's Europa League campaign that season. He struggled to break into former manager Tony Pulis' Premier League line-up, although he earned them a point last December with a stunning 30-yard strike in the last minute of a 3-3 draw with Southampton.

He was the second Premier League player to be charged under betting rules in recent months, following Tottenham midfielder Andros Townsend in June.

Townsend withdrew from England's squad for the Under-21 European Championship and was subsequently banned for a month, with a further three-month ban suspended, and fined £18,000.

Accrington managing director Robert Heys was also charged with betting offences on the same day as Jerome. He has withdrawn from club duties as he awaits a hearing.

(Edited by Giles Mole)

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wenger told to forget City striker Dzeko in further transfer blow for Arsenal

By SAMI MOKBEL
PUBLISHED: 21:57 GMT, 14 August 2013 | UPDATED: 21:57 GMT, 14 August 2013

Manchester City will provide Arsene Wenger with another transfer headache by telling Arsenal their striker Edin Dzeko is not for sale.The Gunners have turned their attention to the Bosnia forward as they accept they are unlikely to land Liverpool’s rebellious frontman Luis Suarez, who has been their No 1 transfer target.But City boss Manuel Pellegrini has no intention of parting with Dzeko, having been impressed by the 27-year-old since his arrival at the Etihad.

article-2393713-1B4B8B3B000005DC-494_634x463.jpg

Going nowhere: Manchester City have no intention of selling Edin Dzeko to Arsenal

article-2393713-1B4AD6E5000005DC-54_634x437.jpg

Up in arms: Arsenal had shown interest in Dzeko after possibly losing out on Liverpool's Luis Suarez

One reason Pellegrini decided not to follow up his predecessor Roberto Mancini’s interest in the Uruguayan Edinson Cavani, then with Napoli, was due to his faith in Dzeko. Whether a huge cash offer from the Gunners is enough to change City’s mind remains to be seen. Arsenal may yet test Liverpool’s resolve to hold on to Suarez by making a third offer approaching the Anfield club’s £50million minimum asking price. However, discussions aimed at identifying alternative targets between scouting staff have taken place in the last few days.

article-2393713-1B3C26D2000005DC-332_634x422.jpg

Gaffer: Arsene Wenger is looking at multiple targets to add to his Arsenal squad before the end of the window

article-2393713-1B1AE404000005DC-440_634x469.jpg

Another target: Swansea's bargain signing Michu is another striker identified for Arsenal's list

Wenger, who has also asked for scouting reports on Swansea striker Michu, is a long-term admirer of Dzeko and has numerous reports on the forward which date back to his time at Wolfsburg. Arsenal scout Peter Clarke also watched PSV Eindhoven’s Dutch winger Georginio Wijnaldum, 22, and Belgium Under 17 international forward Zakaria Bakkali in the 3-2 win over Den Haag earlier this month. Meanwhile, across north London, Tottenham’s hectic transfer window activity continued, when 26-year-old midfielder Tom Huddlestone joined Hull City for £5.25m, along with Jake Livermore, 23, who moves on a one-year loan. Fulham are still attempting to pip QPR to the signature of Spurs midfielder Scott Parker, 32, with both clubs having had bids of around £2m accepted.

article-2393713-1B34CECB000005DC-732_634x459.jpg

Relaxed: Spurs' Scott Parker is the subject of a transfer battle between Fulham and QPR

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Moyes to make final Fabregas bid as former Arsenal midfielder sweats on Barca spot

By IAN LADYMAN
PUBLISHED: 22:37 GMT, 14 August 2013 | UPDATED: 23:10 GMT, 14 August 2013

Manchester United will make one final effort to lure Cesc Fabregas from Barcelona if the Spanish international finds himself out of the team at the Nou Camp at the start of the season. United seemed to bring their pursuit of Fabregas to and end last week when the Spanish international told a press conference that he wanted to stay at his current club.'We respect Cesc's decision.' said United.

article-2393945-1B483471000005DC-399_634x405.jpg

Last ditch: Manchester United will make a final bid for Cesc Fabregas despite him wanting to stay

article-2393945-1B3EF8C5000005DC-294_634x421.jpg

Thumbs up: Moyes has already had two bids rejected for the former Arsenal midfielder

However, Sportsmail understands that United are continuing to monitor Fabregas's situation and will consider going back with one final bid in excess of £32m if the former Arsenal midfielder starts the La Liga season on the bench. Fabregas will not play in Barcelona's season opener against Levante on Sunday after spraining ankle ligaments playing in a tour game in Malaysia at the weekend. He is not expected to recover in time.

article-2393945-1B3C467C000005DC-685_306x423.jpg
article-2393945-1B3C46FF000005DC-999_306x423.jpg

Pass masters: Fabregas is unsure whether he will get in the side ahead of Xavi (left) and Andres Iniesta

However he is expected to fit for next Wednesday's Super Cup game against Atletico Madrid and there are then four more La Liga games scheduled before the transfer window closes at the end of August.It is these games that United will be keeping an eye on. One of the reasons United manager David Moyes was led to believe Fabregas may leave the Nou Camp was his dissatisfaction at playing second fiddle to Xavi and Andres Iniesta in the heart of the Barcelona midfield.United had two bids turned down, the second a club record £31m, when their attempts to land Fabregas started a month ago.

article-2393945-1B4835BA000005DC-549_634x447.jpg

Out of action: Fabregas is currently injured with an ankle ligament sprain

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fan who 'punched police horse' is charged with violent disorder after Tyne-Wear derby

By GRAEME YORKE PUBLISHED: 16:59 GMT, 14 August 2013 | UPDATED: 19:43 GMT, 14 August 2013

A football fan has been charged with punching a police horse after supporters clashed with police when their team lost to their biggest rivals. Newcastle supporter Barry Rogerson, 45, is accused of violent disorder after trouble flared in the city centre when the Magpies lost 3-0 to Sunderland in April’s Tyne-Wear derby. Rogerson, from Hartlands, Bedlington, Northumberland, will appear at Newcastle Magistrates’ Court on September 9.

article-2308933-194A5EDF000005DC-710_634x418.jpg

Charged: Barry Rogerson has been charged with violent disorder after the scenes in Newcastle

The alleged attack happened in scenes reminiscent of the dark days of football riots in England in the 1970s and 80s, when fans clashed with police and each other. More than 100 Newcastle supporters rampaged through the streets after their team's defeat at St James' Park.

article-2308933-194A5FA7000005DC-334_634x450.jpg

Newcastle hooligan punches police horse then gets tackled
<center></center>
article-2308933-194A5F92000005DC-980_634x454.jpg

article-2308933-194A5F84000005DC-136_634x449.jpg

This man dressed in Newcastle colours was led away by a police officer in riot gear with blood on his face

article-2308933-194A4DCF000005DC-920_634x415.jpg

Fans set alight this bin as trouble spread in Newcastle city centre

Flake

Alfrescian
Loyal

Eric_Lum said:
i am a moron :(

Also a gong cheebye because ultimately the forum host is the one who allowed the football betting advertisers here. fuck u. lol

Banner sponsorship has reached a level where all the monthly overheads are now covered. I would like to thank all those here for helping to make this happen.

Sky Sports News Reporter Nick Collins Falls Over Live On Air From Wembley

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2LuZWi4c6gc?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Nick Collins takes a tumble outside Wembley while reporting on Michael Carrick's injury live on Sky Sports News.

It is not clear what caused the fall, though the sound indicates he may have been standing atop a ladder or platform.

Back in the studio, Jim White just about holds things together in lieu of his ailing colleague.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Arsenal set to be beaten by Wolfsburg to the signing of Luiz Gustavo

• German club agree £17m deal for Brazilian midfielder
• Arsène Wenger under pressure to make more signings

David Hytner
The Guardian, Wednesday 14 August 2013 22.22 BST

Luiz-Gustavo-in-action-fo-008.jpg

Luiz Gustavo looks likely to join the long list of transfer targets that Arsenal have failed to sign this summer. Photograph: Alexander Hassenstein/Bongarts/Getty Images

Wolfsburg have moved to beat Arsenal to the signature of Bayern Munich's Luiz Gustavo, with reports in Germany stating that the club have agreed a €20m (£17m) deal for the Brazil defensive midfielder.

The Arsenal manager, Arsène Wenger, who arguably did not replace Alex Song last summer following the player's departure for Barcelona, said on Saturday that he was interested in Gustavo to plug an area of weakness in his squad.

Arsenal valued the 26-year-old at around £14m but appear to have been unwilling to go much higher, allowing Wolfsburg to seize the initiative. The German club have been long-term admirers of Gustavo.

Wenger tried unsuccessfully to sign the Bayer Leverkusen midfielder Lars Bender earlier in the summer – he had an £18.5m inquiry rejected by the German club – and he had previously followed the Toulouse midfielder Etienne Capoue, bidding for him last January. Capoue is now poised to join Tottenham Hotspur for €11m.

Wenger is under increasing pressure to make eye-catching signings. His chief executive, Ivan Gazidis, said that the club have the financial firepower to compete for the very top names but so far they have signed only the France youth international striker Yaya Sanogo on a free transfer from Auxerre.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

299430_thumb.jpg

Tottenham confirm Capoue capture
The 25-year-old midfielder, who scored seven goals in 33 Ligue 1 appearances last term, becomes Andre Villas Boas' fourth signing this summer for a fee in the region of £9 million

299420_thumb.jpg

Capoue passes Tottenham medical
The 25-year-old has revealed that paperwork is the only thing to be completed before his move to Andre Villas-Boas' side is confirmed, and will attend training on Thursday

305085_thumb.jpg

Mourinho buoyed by Eto'o's desire to join Chelsea
The 32-year-old forward recently admitted he was keen to work under the Portuguese once again, while the Chelsea boss has refused to rule out a move for the Cameroon international

299726_thumb.jpg

No chance of Luiz exit, says Mourinho
The Chelsea boss says the Brazil international is an important player for the club and suggests the defender wants to remain at Stamford Bridge

305627_thumb.jpg

Allardyce hopes for Downing & Carroll partnership at West Ham
The Hammers' manager thinks the new additions will add to the club's "attacking unit", while he indicated the winger can provide his side with the width and crosses they need

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Scudamore wants World Cup moved from Qatar if summer tournament not possible

By GRAEME YORKE PUBLISHED: 07:23 GMT, 15 August 2013 | UPDATED: 07:30 GMT, 15 August 2013

Premier League Chief Executive Richard Scudamore has called on FIFA to move the 2022 World Cup away from Qatar if a summer tournament is unavailable. He reiterated his belief that it was 'nigh on impossible' for a winter competition to fit into the Premier League's calendar. FIFA currently want to change the 2022 World Cup because of fears high summer temperatures will be detrimental to the tournament.

article-0-1B3441E5000005DC-453_634x426.jpg

Impossible: Richard Scudamore is adamant that the World Cup cannot be staged in Qatar during winter

'We don't believe this can easily just be moved to winter,' he said. 'It's all very nice of Greg Dyke (FA Chairman) to explain what the PL view will be, it's probably better if I explain it.'The calendar is very complex, it's designed for World Cups in summer.'They can't just unilaterally change the calendar, that needs a proper consultation. It's not a decision that can just be taken by FIFA.' Last week Dyke had said that the decision on when the World Cup would be held should have been made in 2010.'Fifa have got two choices. They can move it either time-wise or to another location. I suspect either will end up in some sort of litigation. But then someone should have worked that out in 2010 when it was awarded.

article-2394241-1B3A9592000005DC-120_634x423.jpg

Away from the heat: Greg Dyke gave the FA's view that they expect FIFA to move the tournament to winter

'I understand the reaction of the Premier League in not wanting to move it, and I have some sympathy with them.'We didn't have to choose to give it to Qatar in the summer. But that's where it is, and I think it will either have to be moved out of the summer or moved to another location.'I suspect that the former is more likely than the latter.'

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Transfer trouble leaves Wenger facing uphill task

r

Arsenal's Manager Arsene Wenger is pictured during his team's friendly match against Manchester City at the Helsinki Olympic Stadium in Helsinki August 10, 2013. REUTERS/Roni Rekomaa/Lehtikuva

By Patrick Johnston
Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:41am BST

(Reuters) - With only one unheralded new recruit to help end an eight-year trophy drought, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger enters the final year of his contract amid a growing swell of fan frustration that leaves a renewal not guaranteed.

Despite being strongly linked with strikers Gonzalo Higuain, Wayne Rooney and Luis Suarez, Wenger has only added French youth international forward Yaya Sanogo from Ligue 2 club Auxerre on a free ahead of Saturday's opener at home to Aston Villa.

This comes despite the club's cash rich board publicly declaring that Wenger, who manfully maintained Arsenal's position among England's top four through recent frugal times, had enough money to compete with the big-spending trio of Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea.

But as City and Chelsea's new coaches splurged in an attempt to wrestle the title back from United, Wenger has failed with a 40 million and one pound bid for Liverpool striker Suarez, while Higuain opted for Napoli despite Arsenal seemingly in pole position to sign him.

With the board's much discussed spending plans yet to come to fruition, many fear Arsenal's challenge for a 14th English league title is over before it has begun.

"At the moment with the squad they have got it might be tough," former Arsenal midfielder Ray Parlour, who played under Wenger, told Reuters in an interview in Singapore.

"If they could bring Suarez in, a midfielder and maybe a defender they would have a decent squad because they have got some very good players like (Santi) Cazorla, (Jack) Wilshere, (Theo) Walcott.

"Arsene Wenger now really needs to buy players that are going to make the team better, not just individuals who are good for the squad like the Denilsons, Bendtners and Chamakhs and people like that."

REMOVING DEADWOOD

Wenger's close season has been busy removing the deadwood in the squad that Parlour talked of, with Brazilian midfielder Denilson and Morocco striker Marouane Chamakh two of 27 players released, sold or allowed to leave on loan.

Arrivals, though, are what is required to improve a side that claimed fourth on the final day of the campaign but never challenged for the title and suffered a humbling League Cup defeat by fourth tier Bradford City in December.

That cup result brought waves of criticism for Wenger, especially after he defended his players, while the 63-year-old Frenchman's assertion that finishing in the top four in the league is akin to winning silverware does not sit well with all.

Without a trophy since the 2005 FA Cup and having gone nine seasons without a Premier League title, Wenger fails to enjoy the universal backing from the terraces that he once did with the team often booed.

But despite the growing problems, discussions about a contract renewal are likely to begin before the end of the year with Parlour, who made 466 appearance for Arsenal in a 16-year career with the club that ended in 2004, arguing there isn't a better alternative.

"Who can improve on Arsene Wenger?," Parlour said. "Over the last seven years he has done a brilliant job to get them in the top four with the money he has spent compared to other clubs.

"I hope Wenger, if he has 100 million, goes and spends 100 million and has a right go because he is a fantastic manager, there is no doubt. I played under him for eight years and I know what he can bring to the team but he just needs those couple of players."

A League Cup or FA Cup are his most likely chances to end the trophy drought and appease some of the disgruntled fans who crave a Premier League or first Champions League crown.

"It is still a trophy," Parlour said of the two domestic cups.

"The problem is some of these players have never won a trophy, once they win one they will want more of it. Manchester United have a great habit of winning trophies and they get used to it."

Will that be enough to keep Wenger, who has won three league titles and four FA Cups since joining in 1996, at the Emirates past the upcoming campaign?

"I think he will stay, but they need a good season," Parlour said. "If they have a disastrous season and don't sign any players then the fans will start getting really upset about the situation and it will be a decision the board have to make."

(Editing by Ed Osmond)

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pressure on Moyes as City and Chelsea up the ante

r

Manchester United's new manager David Moyes shouts instructions during his team's English Community Shield soccer match against Wigan Athletic at Wembley Stadium in London, August 11, 2013. REUTERS/Eddie Keogh

By Martyn Herman
LONDON | Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:22am BST

(Reuters) - The last time Manchester United began a season without Alex Ferguson in charge Ron Atkinson was shown the Old Trafford exit door before Christmas and the rest, as they say, is history.

It is almost unthinkable that United's new manager David Moyes will suffer the fate that befell Atkinson in 1986 because he has inherited a team that romped to the Premier League title in May to sign off Ferguson's trophy-laden 27-year reign.

The gritty Scot will be under immense scrutiny, however, as he tries to keep the United juggernaut in front of neighbours Manchester City and Chelsea, both of whom boast new managers well-equipped to plot the Old Trafford side's downfall.

Moyes, the man charged with replacing the most successful manager ever in English football, forged a solid reputation at Everton despite never winning a trophy but finally has the financial backing to satisfy his hunger for silverware.

A 2-0 win over FA Cup winners Wigan Athletic at Wembley in the season-opening Community Shield last weekend would have whet his appetite but Moyes knows outwitting City's Manuel Pellegrini and Chelsea's Jose Mourinho will be a far tougher proposition.

Keeping striker Wayne Rooney on board and out of the clutches of title rivals Chelsea before the transfer window closes will be vital for Moyes whose only signing so far has been Uruguayan right back Guillermo Varela.

The Rooney saga has been a regular fixture on the back pages throughout the close season, along with Tottenham Hotspur's Gareth Bale, chased by Real Madrid, and Liverpool's Luis Suarez whose relationship with Liverpool has reached an all-time low.

Arsenal have been trailing Suarez and offered 40 million pounds ($61.85 million) for the Uruguay striker as Arsene Wenger tries to placate the club's fans for whom the annual consolation prize of Champions League qualification is wearing thin.

TITLE CHALLENGERS

While Arsenal, local rivals Tottenham Hostpur - who have invested 50 million pounds in Brazil midfielder Paulinho, Belgium winger Nacer Chadli and Spain striker Roberto Soldado - and Liverpool are all eyeing a top-four finish, United, City and Chelsea look the most likely title protagonists.

Mourinho, once tipped as Ferguson's successor, is reunited with Chelsea nine years after first walking into Stamford Bridge, declaring himself the "Special One" and going on to win every domestic honour for the club, including two league titles.

Since leaving Chelsea after falling out with the club's Russian billionaire owner Roman Abramovic in 2007, Mourinho has garnished his CV by winning the Champions League at Inter Milan and briefly knocking Barcelona off their perch with Real Madrid.

Chelsea have not featured in the last two title races as managers have come and gone like London buses at Stamford Bridge but with Mourinho back at the controls again, the Blues are already being tipped as the team to beat this season.

Unlike when he first showed up in west London, the 50-year-old Portuguese has been understated and less active in the transfer market, although Germany forward Andre Schuerrle, an 18 million pounds signing from Bayer Leverkusen, will add to the attacking options provided by Juan Mata and Eden Hazard.

Mourinho can also count on his trusty lieutenants Frank Lampard, John Terry and Ashley Cole for another season at least.

The biggest test of his man-management skills will be solving the riddle of Spain striker Fernando Torres, whose inconsistent form has flummoxed a series of coaches, although snatching Rooney from United might spare him the trouble.

Manchester City's 2012-13 campaign was instantly forgettable as they surrendered their title meekly, suffered Champions League humiliation and flopped in the FA Cup final.

CITY'S ENGINEER

Roberto Mancini was promptly jettisoned and replaced with Chilean Pellegrini and the man known as "The Engineer" has been busy adding quality to City's squad, particularly in attack.

City have flexed their considerable financial muscles by signing Brazilian midfielder Fernandinho from Shakhtar Donetsk, Sevilla's Spain duo Jesus Navas and Alvaro Negredo and Fiorentina's Montenegro striker Stevan Jovetic.

"Fans of Manchester City will see a different way how they play (compared to) other years," Pellegrini, who will be expected to make significant inroads in the Champions League, said. "I'm sure we are going to play an attractive game."

While the usual suspects are likely to occupy the top six places come next May, there is plenty of intrigue elsewhere as the Premier League and its galaxy of overseas stars reopens for business this weekend with some eye-catching fixtures.

None more so than Michael Laudrup's League Cup winners Swansea City, fast becoming a Spanish stronghold in south Wales, at home to a Manchester United side who face difficult games against Chelsea and Liverpool in their next two matches.

"It's the toughest start we have had since I have been here," said United skipper Nemanja Vidic.

"But we have trained well. Everyone wants to put themselves back into contention to win a trophy. I see the hunger."

For the first time the English top flight will have two Welsh teams after Cardiff City's promotion along with Hull City and Crystal Palace.

All three will cash-in thanks to the Premier League's new eye-watering TV deals but they will quickly discover that the top flight is an unforgiving place.

(Reporting by Martyn Herman; editing by Ken Ferris)