• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Barclays Premier League Season 2013-14 ║

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Szczesny ready to scrap for points

Goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny would be happy for another four ugly wins if it means Arsenal secure Champions League qualification ahead of Everton.

Lukas%20Podolski%20%28L%29and%20Wojciech%20Szczesny%20of%20Arsenal%20celebrate%20victory.jpg

Wednesday 16th April 2014

The Gunners moved back up into the top four after coming from behind to beat West Ham 3-1 at the Emirates Stadium, where France forward Olivier Giroud netted a superb finish and German international Lukas Podolski crashed home a brace.

Everton, however, will regain the advantage should they produce a positive result at home to Crystal Palace on Wednesday evening.

The race for the final Champions League place is set to go to the wire and Szczesny insists it does not matter how the FA Cup finalists secure it, so long as they do.

"The energy level was not great after playing 120 minutes (against Wigan at Wembley) on Saturday, but it was important to get three points," said Szczesny, who was back in the side having been on the bench for the semi-final, where Lukasz Fabianski saved two penalties in the shoot-out.

"In the Premier League we had not won in four games, so it was important to get back to winning ways - three points is all that matters at the moment.

"I will take four or five more games like that until the end of the season. As long as we get three points, it does not have to be beautiful.

"Every game is like a cup final for us now and we know we have to get the result every time and wait for Everton to drop points."

Szczesny is confident Arsenal can secure a positive end to a campaign which had promised so much.

"Before the four disappointing results we had recently we were still in the title race, so it has slipped away from us," the Poland international said.

"But it is important for us to fight for the new challenge, which is the top four now. We are confident we are going to do the job."

Giroud went some way to answering his critics - who had plenty of ammunition following a fluffed first-half chance when clean through on goal - with a strike of the highest quality.

Having held off both Andy Carroll and Winston Reid, the Arsenal striker expertly collected a looping ball into the penalty box from Thomas Vermaelen on his left before slotting it through Adrian's legs with his right boot.

Giroud paid his own respects to the Hillsborough victims, kissing the black armband and then looking to the heavens.

"I heard everybody talking about it before and I didn't exactly know the story until a few days ago, but I just wanted to pay homage to them," the France international said.

"It is something which made me feel consoling and I wanted to dedicate my goal to the families involved."

West Ham, meanwhile, must now regroup for Saturday's visit of Crystal Palace, when they will be out to avoid a third successive defeat and make their Premier League status completely secure.

Midfielder Mark Noble said: "We cant keep putting on good performances against the top teams but then not getting anything. I would rather play bad and get some points.

"Now we have a big match at the weekend against Palace, so we will have to rest and recover for that and go out to put another performance in.

"Tony Pulis has changed things around there but we have been in good form at home and did well here at Arsenal, so we need to take that into the Palace match."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Williams not setting points target for Swans

Swansea skipper Ashley Williams believes it is "impossible to know" how many points will ultimately guarantee Barclays Premier League survival this season.

Cardiff%20player%20Peter%20Whittingham%20%28l%29%20is%20challenged%20by%20Ashley%20Williams%20of%20Swansea.jpg

Swansea are just three points above the danger zone ahead of next Saturday's trip to Newcastle.

But with two of the teams below them - Fulham and Cardiff - both winning last weekend, it has tightened things up in an increasingly frantic race to avoid the drop.

Swansea have successive home games against Aston Villa and Southampton following their trip to Tyneside, but Fulham's victory over Norwich three days ago and Cardiff winning at Southampton upped the ante.

"It's impossible to know (what Swansea require from their last four games) because of what a strange season it has been, both at the top and the bottom," Williams said.

"It is different to normal seasons as everyone is still in the mix. But we really need points.

"You always look at other results. That is normal, we are like anyone.

"You knew a day like Saturday was going to happen because teams are not going to keep losing every week.

"That day came and we knew this would be tough, but we have to concentrate on ourselves and if you are going to be in a relegation battle I would prefer to be in our position with points on the board."

Swansea have collected just nine points from a possible 30 since Garry Monk took on the club's head coach role in early February following manager Michael Laudrup's departure.

Despite drawing at Arsenal and then beating Norwich last month, successive 1-0 losses to Hull and Chelsea means they have been unable to pull away from relegation trouble.

"It's just so bizarre," Williams added. "We train well, we set up well, we go out and do well most of the time and we create chances.

"I don't know. We are here and that is it. We have to fight, to keep working, but I am sure we will be okay with the fight we have shown and the people we have in the dressing room.

"We can't keep playing well for long periods of games and not win. We beat Norwich convincingly, we did well against Arsenal and we need more of those results.

"(Against Chelsea) (Wilfried) Bony and Wayne (Routledge) went close for us, and, I hate to say it, but it does seem like the luck is against us this season and the only way to beat this is to keep working hard."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Poyet seeks root to Sunderland malaise

Gus Poyet has insisted he is ready to take on the challenge of finding a lasting solution to Sunderland's problems.

Sunderland%20manager%20Gustavo%20Poyet.jpg

The 46-year-old Uruguayan has admitted the time has come to address the club's long-running problems by finding another way to shake things up than simply changing the manager.

Head coach Poyet dismissed online rumours that he could resign from his role, telling national newspapers: "It looks to me that people are expecting me to walk out and I don't know why they have that impression of me. I'm not going to quit. Simple."

He believes he has an idea of what the club's underlying issues are and would welcome the opportunity to work with owner Ellis Short to put them right.

He said: "Yes, no doubt. It's me. I don't like to talk about me and I'm kissing myself and talking about myself in a nice way, it's me because I care and because I need to sort it out.

"The more solutions I find, the easier my job is going to be and I want that job to be as easy as possible.

"You don't want to be thinking 20 hours a day about a problem when it can be sorted out in five minutes, and that's the situation at the moment.

"We have to make sure we prepare the team properly for tomorrow and at the same time, you keep searching for solutions and making things better."

The Black Cats head for Manchester City on Wednesday evening sitting seven points adrift of safety and knowing time is running out fast if they are to pull off a remarkable escape.

But in the longer run, Poyet, the sixth man to sit in the manager's hot-seat in less than six years, is convinced a new approach is required if lasting success is to be achieved.

Asked if he is confident a solution can be found, he said: "I hope so. If not, we have got a problem. If not, we have got a massive problem.

"This is something we need to think about twice and analyse and check and see and have a good chat and make a decision, what we want to do and where we want to go, and we will find that.

"It's good to know because sometimes you say something and people can jump on you and say, 'Here we go, he's putting out excuses' and things like that.

"It's not 'My way or nothing'. Here we are talking about solutions for the club and maybe my way is not right, and then I am the problem.

"If I am the problem, it would be nice if somebody told me and that's it. I have got no problem with that.

"I know what I do and what I believe and what is possible and I have got my ideas, and I keep believing in that. But maybe it's me. You don't know, I don't know."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tottenham wait on Van Gaal decision

388699_heroa.jpg

Apr 16, 2014 1:39:00 PM

Spurs want the Netherlands coach to take over from Tim Sherwood in the summer but are lining up Mauricio Pochettino as an alternative amid reported Manchester United interest

By Greg Stobart

Tottenham have made Louis van Gaal their first choice to take over as the club’s manager but are being made to wait for the Netherlands coach to make a decision on his future.

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy wants the 62-year-old to take over from Tim Sherwood after the World Cup but Van Gaal has been considering his options having been linked with Manchester United.

Van Gaal has long been considered the favourite to take over in the summer but Tottenham are now waiting for an answer from the Dutchman as they actively search for a replacement for Sherwood.

Southampton boss Mauricio Pochettino is under serious consideration as an alternative to Van Gaal and will delay talks over a new contract with the south coast club until the end of the season.

But Levy wants Van Gaal, who will step down as Netherlands coach after the World Cup and has made no secret of his desire to manage in the Premier League. The pair met following the dismissal of Villas-Boas in December but the former Bayern Munich and Barcelona boss refused to split the Spurs job with his Holland duties.

Spurs are now sweating on Van Gaal's decision amid concerns he is holding out for a chance to manage United after reports of a meeting held last week with Old Trafford chiefs about the possibility of taking over from David Moyes.

Spurs chiefs have been worried about feedback about the Dutchman’s abrasive character but there is a recognition at White Hart Lane that the club cannot pass up the opportunity to appoint a managerial legend who has won titles in Holland, Spain and Germany.

Van Gaal is also an attractive proposition because his arrival would not require Spurs to pay any compensation as his contract with the Dutch FA expires after the World Cup in Brazil.

If Van Gaal delays for too long, he could miss out on the opportunity to manage Tottenham.

Pochettino is well aware that he is highly rated by Levy and expects an interview to press his claim to take over from Sherwood, who was told last week that the club would be making a change just four months after his appointment on an 18-month contract.

The Argentine, 42, has a year left on his Southampton contract and has so far refused to sign a new deal, with the club expected to sell key players this summer, including Luke Shaw and Adam Lallana.

Pochettino would fit in to Tottenham’s continental management structure which includes a director of football and a committee responsible for identifying transfer targets, with the ‘head coach’ asked to focus on first-team performances and results.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ozil nears Arsenal return as Diaby resumes training

378783_heroa.jpg

Apr 15, 2014 11:01:00 PM

The German should be fit enough for Sunday's league trip to the KC Stadium to face Hull City, but the French midfielder will be eased in slowly after a long injury lay-off

Arsene Wenger has confirmed Mesut Ozil is expected to be available for Arsenal's Premier League clash with Hull City on Sunday, while Abou Diaby is set to return to full training this week.

Germany international Ozil has not featured for the Gunners since a 1-0 loss to Stoke City at the start of March, having picked up a hamstring injury, while Diaby has not made a single appearance for the club this season having torn the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee last year.

However, Arsenal will be boosted by the news that their club-record signing could be fit to face Hull in a dress rehearsal of the FA Cup final, while Diaby is ready to make a long-awaited return to training - though Wenger is keen not to risk the injury-prone midfielder too soon.

"Ozil should be available for the weekend," said the French boss after his side's 3-1 victory over West Ham on Tuesday night that saw them reclaim fourth place in the league table.

"Diaby is back in full training on Thursday. It's very difficult to say because he's not played for over a year now.

"It's difficult for me but he looks physically fine but he has to play one or two games before I can consider bringing him back."

Despite the absence of Ozil, Arsenal claimed a hard-fought victory over West Ham on Tuesday that saw them leapfrog Everton and take back fourth spot, with goals from Lukas Podolski and Olivier Giroud sealing the three points.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sir Alex Ferguson to auction HK$39 million wine collection in Hong Kong

Legendary ex-Manchester United boss puts a different set of reds up for sale with Christie's

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 16 April, 2014, 5:17pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 17 April, 2014, 4:28am

Amy Nip and Reuters

e778c40cda7d24cb7fadbf656cfbcab2.jpg

Christie's staff with the signed Manchester United Champions League shirt from 1999 and one of the bottles to go on sale. Photo: Reuters

sir_alex_ferguson.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson collection has a pre-sale value of HK$39 million. Photo: EPA

Legendary soccer boss Alex Ferguson used to take his mind off the pressure of the "beautiful game" by building up a collection of wines almost as impressive as the collection of trophies he won at Manchester United.

Now, about 5,000 bottles of wine - red, of course - from Ferguson's cellar are to be sold off along with signed memorabilia in Hong Kong. Auction house Christie's announced the sale, with an estimated value of HK$39 million, yesterday.

One star lot will be six bottles of Romanee-Conti Grand Cru 1999, which are offered with a Manchester United Champions League shirt from 1999 signed "Best wishes, Alex Ferguson". It has a maximum estimated value of HK$850,000.

Ferguson said he wanted to auction some of his collection in Hong Kong as "Asia is a part of the world that holds great affection for Manchester United". He was always amazed by the level of support and reaction that accompanied his team's visits.

"It is more than just an association, it is a romance dating back many years," he said.

Some 75 per cent of the cellar is made up of Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, a French Burgundy which Christie's international director of wine David Elswood says "is probably the wine in vogue, the wine of the moment in terms of demand. So hopefully that's going to draw the attention of not just Alex Ferguson fans but wine fans, too."

The cellar spans every year of Ferguson's career with United from 1986 until he retired last year. It includes lots from 1999, the year United won an unprecedented treble of the English Premier League, the Champions League and the FA Cup.

"People keep saying, 'What was the best moment of your life as a manager?' and '99 is without question," Ferguson told Elswood in an interview. "There was always this thing about my career that I never had won the Champions League, so to win it in the way we did win it was absolutely fantastically special. And it coincided with a vintage; you were talking about Romanee-Conti '99, a really special year. I think we deserved that."

After the Hong Kong sale on May 24, further sales of Ferguson's wine will take place in London and online.

Hong Kong is one of the world's biggest centres for wine sales, helped by a favourable tax regime and mainland demand. Twelve bottles of French Burgundy sold for a world record HK$3.67 million at a Christie's auction in Wan Chai last year.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester City haunted by Liverpool loss, laments Pellegrini after Sunderland draw

391790_heroa.jpg

By George Ankers
Apr 16, 2014 11:39:00 PM

The Chilean's men suffered another blow to their Premier League title hopes and he feels that a quick turnaround from Sunday's decisive loss at Anfield was to blame

Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini says that his side were still suffering from their loss to Liverpool in Wednesday's shock 2-2 draw with Sunderland.

The hosts took the lead within two minutes at the Etihad Stadium but were nearly undone by a Connor Wickham double before Vito Mannone's late mistake allowed Samir Nasri to equalise.

Pellegrini confessed after the game that he had been "very worried" in anticipation of the game, which ended with his side six points behind the Reds with only one game left in hand, their hopes of winning the title slipping away.

"Chances [of winning the league] are less than before the match," he told the press, "[but] we will continue fighting to the end.

"I don't think there was less confidence. We couldn't take out of our mind the game against Liverpool.

"Before the match I was very worried about this match. I'm sure, in just three days, it is very difficult for the players to take their mind off Liverpool. They are more mentally tired than physically tired."

Attacking midfielder David Silva was a late withdrawal due to an ankle injury but Pellegrini says that the problem is a minor one.

"David has a problem in his ankle," the Chilean stated. "He played the last two games but playing twice in a week wasn’t possible. We will see how he is for Monday."

Sunderland boss Gus Poyet was glad to have got some reward for his side's efforts, though he remains cautious on their chances of survival, with the Black Cats still six points from safety with only one game in hand.

He remarked: "I'm realistic and I'm not going to change now. We played a great game and we deserved something.

"You need to realise the situation we are in and I think all of you [the media] thought we would collapse. The players know how important it is to the club and fans and the need to keep going.

"It's going to give us a little bit of confidence and give us a chance to go with a different two approaches for the rest of the season.

"I'm sure the players will go there [to Chelsea, for their next Premier League game on Saturday] and play. We are not playing for Liverpool. I'm sure Luis Suarez is going to be happy tonight, with one team less [in the title race]."

Wickham, who scored both Sunderland goals, had only recently returned from a loan spell at Leeds United but Poyet declared his faith in the youngster.

"When I got to the club there were five or six strikers. It was impossible to play them all," the Uruguayan recalled. "He went away and played well.

"If he delivers, he's going to keep playing. It's very simple in our situation. If you deliver, then you will get the chance to play."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Giroud asks for Manchester United favour: Beat Everton for us!

391251_heroa.jpg

By Stephen Darwin
Apr 17, 2014 12:47:00 PM

The Arsenal striker wants to see David Moyes's side triumph at Goodison Park on Sunday and has vowed to score "again and again" to help his side secure a top-four finish

Olivier Giroud wants to see Manchester United come out on top against Everton on Sunday so boost Arsenal's hopes of finishing in the top four.

The Gunners, who are currently fourth in the table and one point above Roberto Martinez's side, will guarantee qualification for the Champions League if they secure victory in each of their last four games.

Giroud, though, has called on United to assist the north Londoners and wants to see them triumph at Goodison Park as David Moyes returns to his former club.

"We need to win the last four 'finals' because we don't have our destiny in our hands," he told Arsenal's official club website.

"I hope Everton will lose against maybe Manchester United this weekend. We keep focusing on what we have to do and win our games. After that we will see but first we have to do the job.

"I enjoy my stats because when you are a striker you think that we are looking for the stats and assists as well.

"I am OK with my stats but I know the team will need me again for the last [four] Premier League games. So I need to score again and again."

Giroud was on the scoresheet in Tuesday's 3-1 win over West Ham to take his tally for the season to 20 and, after kissing his black armband in tribute to the 96 who died during the Hillsborough disaster, insists he was desperate to score to allow him the chance to show his respect.

"Yes, I had a good chance to score in the first half," the Frenchman added. "I think I didn't do the good gesture so I really wanted to score and it was great for me and the team to come back.

"I learnt from my mistake in the first half and I took my chance on the second one and it's all about the control with my left foot so I was in a good position."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pulis reveals Ferguson advice over Palace job

360366_heroa.jpg

By Alex Fisher
Apr 17, 2014 3:18:00 PM

The Eagles secured survival on Wednesday night with a win at Champions League-chasing Everton, with the former Man United boss one of just two who told him to accept the role

Tony Pulis has revealed Sir Alex Ferguson and Stoke City chairman Peter Coates convinced him to take the Crystal Palace job in November.

The 56-year-old has inspired a stunning turnaround in fortunes at Selhurst Park, with the club now guaranteed Premier League survival after reaching 40 points with a 3-2 triumph at Everton.

Pulis has revealed he only accepted the Palace job after endorsements from two of his closest allies in football, his old boss at Stoke and former United manager Ferguson.

"Did I have doubts about taking it? It was difficult. I met [Palace chairman] Steve Parish and spoke to Steve about four or five times and I didn't feel it was right," he told reporters.

"I looked at it and everyone I spoke to said it was a difficult one. Alex Ferguson and Peter Coates, my old chairman at Stoke, they were the only two who said to take it. They were two very good judges!

"I hadn't seen Palace play, but I enjoy a challenge. It's in my nature to stand up and try to march people forward and we've done that.

"The players have been wonderful and you can't do it without them. They have responded to us and given us everything."

Pulis, who transformed Stoke from a mid-table Championship side into an established top-flight outfit under Coates, believes wingers Jason Puncheon and Yannick Bolasie have been key to Palace's resurgence.

"Bolasie and Puncheon have been brilliant for us," he added. "They've been the catalyst to everything we've done really. They are a non-stop threat.

"The two of them have been journeymen in some respects but they've found their home with us."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester United ready to sell unhappy Javier Hernandez

377343_heroa.jpg

Apr 17, 2014 12:13:00 PM

The Mexican has complained to David Moyes about his lack of playing time and been told he can leave this summer, with Atletico Madrid interested in the striker

EXCLUSIVE
By Greg Stobart

Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez has been told the club are ready to sell him this summer after complaining about his lack of playing opportunities.

Hernandez has spoken to United manager David Moyes on at least three occasions in the last two months over his frustration with a lack of playing time having made just five Premier League starts this season.

The Mexican has been told the club will listen to offers in the summer and feels he is no longer in Moyes' plans having fallen behind Wayne Rooney, Robin van Persie and Danny Welbeck in the pecking order at Old Trafford.

Hernandez is now desperate for a summer transfer and has been strongly linked with Atletico Madrid as a replacement for Diego Costa, who is closing in on a move to Chelsea.

Hernandez, 25, was particularly upset that he was overlooked for a clearly unfit Wayne Rooney in the second leg of United's Champions League quarter-final defeat to Bayern Munich last week.

He had played for 90 minutes and scored in the 4-0 win over Newcastle four days earlier and felt he deserved to stay in the side, having also impressed in training in recent weeks.

Hernandez has made 31 appearances in all competitions this season - 20 as a substitute - and has scored nine goals during a disastrous first season for Moyes.

The former Guadalajara forward, who cost €9.7 million in 2010, is worried about a lack of sharpness going into the World Cup and looks set to join a summer exodus from Old Trafford.

Club captain Nemanja Vidic is heading to Inter while Rio Ferdinand, Patrice Evra, Shinji Kagawa, Nani, Anderson and Alex Buttner are among several other players expected to depart.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Moyes steps up Manchester United overhaul with Portugal scouting trip

387380_heroa.jpg

Apr 17, 2014 12:49:00 AM

The Scot was at the Estadio da Luz on Wednesday evening to cast his eye over Eliaquim Mangala, Jackson Martinez and Ezequiel Garay ahead of the summer shake-up at Old Trafford

By Duncan Castles

Manchester United boss David Moyes flew to Lisbon on Wednesday to observe the Portuguese Classico between Benfica and Porto.

His attendance at the semi-final of the Taca de Portugal offered an opportunity to personally assess several players being monitored by the Red Devils' scouting department.

Porto's leading scorer Jackson Martinez, their France international centre back Eliquiam Mangala and Benfica central defender Ezequiel Garay have all been included on United's long list of potential reinforcements for next season.

All three featured in the second-leg tie, which Benfica won 3-1, as the Scot watched from an Estadio da Luz box.

Moyes has often laid the blame for United's underperformance in his first campaign as boss on the group of players he inherited from Sir Alex Ferguson.

Though his own future remains far from secure as the Old Trafford hierarchy assess alternative coaching options, he has been permitted to continue working on plans for an unprecedented overhaul of that squad.

In addition to January's club-record acquisition of Juan Mata from Chelsea, Moyes has proposed bringing in as many as six more players in the peak period of their careers – over the age of 25, with the quality and desire to accumulate trophies. His scouts have been looking for a striker and at least two new midfielders and defenders.

Martinez, Mangala and Garay are all expected to leave Portuguese football this summer as Porto and Benfica follow long-established strategies of raising revenue from their principal talents.

Moyes is well know for his diligence in watching potential signings in person before requesting a transfer spend from his employers.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea close in on €42.5m Diego Costa deal

377583_heroa.jpg

Apr 17, 2014 7:51:00 AM

The Blues have held meetings with the striker's camp over the past month and are near to securing an agreement to bring the Atletico Madrid star to Stamford Bridge in the summer

EXCLUSIVE
By Wayne Veysey

Chelsea are close to clinching the €42.5 million signing of Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa.

Representatives of the Londoners have held a series of meetings with Costa's camp over the last month and further talks are planned around the Champions League semi-final first-leg clash between the two teams.

Chelsea have indicated in discussions that they are willing to pay €42.5m for the striker, although a significant portion of the transfer fee includes agents' fees.

The Europa League champions are also prepared to more than triple the wages of Costa, who is believed to earn around €61,000-a-week at the Estadio Vicente Calderon.

The west Londoners are keen to tie up the deal before the end of the season and ahead of Costa departing for the World Cup, where he is expected to be an integral member of the Spain squad trying to defend their 2010 crown.

Atletico coach Diego Simeone cleared the way on Tuesday for Costa to leave by admitting that his side were powerless to stop him being sold to a club of Chelsea's financial might.

"It will depend on [Costa] and what he thinks is the best for his future," Simeone told AS. "I will support any decision he makes. It's natural that Chelsea are interested in him. That makes me happy because my aim and that of my coaching staff is to see our players improve.

"We understand that Chelsea have huge financial power and, if he wants to live off football for the rest of his life, I will have no problem in him going. It was like Radamel Falcao, how could I tell him not to go to Monaco?

"Samuel Eto'o is getting older and Diego Costa could do his thing there but, for now, he is ours."

Costa has emerged as Chelsea's top centre-forward target following a stellar campaign for Atletico, who head the table in La Liga as well as being in the last four of the Champions League.

The 25-year-old has scored 34 times in 45 matches this season and his 26-goal league haul is second only to Cristiano Ronaldo (28).

Chelsea were keen to trigger the Brazil-born forward's release clause in January, when he was also being closely monitored by rivals Arsenal, but the player did not want to leave in mid-season.

The buy-out figure was understood to be €36m in January, although a slightly higher sum of €42.5m will need to be paid to capture him in the summer window.

The Gunners have subsequently dropped their interest in Costa following lukewarm scouting reports, leaving Chelsea in pole position to capture the prolific striker.

Jose Mourinho has made no attempt to hide his desire to recruit a blue-chip striker amid doubts over the futures of all three of the Blues' senior frontmen - Fernando Torres, Samuel Eto'o and Demba Ba. At least two of the trio are expected to leave in the summer, while Romelu Lukaku will hold talks with Chelsea chiefs when he returns from his season-long loan at Everton.

Atletico Madrid lead the chase for Torres and there is also interest in the Spaniard from Inter, Tottenham and Galatasaray. A growing possibility is that he could leave on a season-long loan to free up space in Chelsea's attack and on their wage bill.

Ba's representatives have already begun speaking to interested parties, while current first choice Eto'o, 33, is out of contract in the summer.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Uefa report reveals €10.9bn spending by Europe’s elite

391850_heroa.jpg

By Matt Jones
Apr 17, 2014 7:27:00 PM

The governing body released a dossier on Thursday that has documented the extortionate levels of spending on players by the continent's biggest and best sides

A Uefa report has revealed Europe’s top clubs have spent a staggering €10.9bn on players in recent years, with wage expenditure continuing to outstrip revenues across the continent.

The report is the sixth of its kind released by the governing body, offering an in-depth review of the ‘financial performances and positions of 700 clubs’ in a period that has seen financial fair play measures gradually implemented in a bid to restrict the spending of teams to a sustainable level.

Analysis of cash flow, domestic competition structures, agent commissions, research on attendance and supporter trends, and a review of the 1,700 head coach changes over three years are also documented.

Uefa General Secretary Gianni Infantino said: “This report is unique as it highlights both the tremendous popularity of European club football and the challenges and pressures that this brings.

"With 77% of European adults interested in football and attendances of more than 163 million at domestic league matches last season, the report fully emphasises how much football means to so many people, and the tremendous responsibility that falls upon the football governing bodies and stakeholders alike to make sure that the game remains healthy."

Despite the astronomical figures shown in their findings, Uefa said it has seen “positive signs that financial fair play is having an impact on the European club football landscape”, with figures highlighting reduced lending by club owners and a drop of €600 million in losses compared to the previous two years from the 700 clubs reviewed.

Infantino added: “While such figures are encouraging, there is still considerable work to be done in reducing these losses further."

One of the least surprising revelations was the 59% increase in wage expenditure between 2007 and 2012, which offset the 42% revenue increase enjoyed by European clubs in the same period.

Also covered in the report was the gulf in spending power within the European football hierarchy, with the highest club wage bill more than three-times greater than the side 25th on the list.

The increasing turnover of coaches was also displayed, distinguished by an average of 2.7 changes across clubs in the 2011-2013 period.

Infantino concluded: “When we look at the last three years of club football and see almost 2,000 head coach changes and combined club losses of more than €4bn, it is clear that the football family needs more stability, less short-term thinking and better financial sustainability.”

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Moyes reveals Rooney & Fellaini fit for Everton trip

371891_heroa.jpg

By Jay Jaffa
Apr 18, 2014 3:00:00 PM

The duo have been given the all-clear to return to first-team action at their former club this Sunday, while there was less positive news on Rafael and Robin van Persie

David Moyes has revealed that Wayne Rooney and Marouane Fellaini are back in contention for Manchester United's trip to Everton on Sunday.

The Belgian missed the Champions League quarter-final defeat to Bayern Munich earlier this month but has been passed fit for a return to his former club, while Rooney is also back in action.

The England international was below par in the 3-1 loss to Bayern and required a painkilling injection to see him through the 90 minutes but Moyes confirmed the 28-year-old is ready to feature at Goodison Park.

"Rooney trained great this week and has been in really good form," Moyes said. "We're getting him hopefully back as he wasn't quite right with his toe at times. He's trained great though.

"Felli didn't play against Bayern but we expect him back fit because he has trained all week."

The Scot also gave an injury update on Rafael and Robin van Persie, who remain sidelined through injury, but had more encouraging news on Jonny Evans' comeback.

"Evans is making progress but Rafa is the one player not available," he added.

"Robin is in Holland and improving but we always thought it would be four to six weeks. We'll have a better assessment in the next week or so as we'll see how he is coming along.

"Our medical team is heading out there to see him this week to get a better feel as to exactly where he is."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mata: Don't blame Moyes for Manchester United woes

384250_heroa.jpg

By Ewan Roberts
Apr 17, 2014 11:27:00 PM

The Spaniard gives his backing to the former Everton coach while also revealing that, when signing for the club, he was given assurances that several other players would be bought

Manchester United's club-record signing, Juan Mata, has defended under-fire boss David Moyes and insisted that the Scot has the full backing of the squad.

The reigning Premier League champions have put up a limp defence of their title, lying in seventh place with five games left to play and almost certain to miss out on qualification for the Champions League.
But Mata, who moved to Old Trafford from Chelsea in January, argues that the Red Devils' problems should not be solely blamed on Moyes's struggles to adapt in his first season in charge and is keen for everyone associated with the club to remain united.

"We have to be together," the Spain international told the Daily Mirror. "Now is not the time to blame anyone. Now is not the time to look for guilty people.

"Now is the time to stick together - with the manager, with his staff, the players and with the people on the board of the club. We need to carry on, to stay with the manager. We need to believe in him because, as players, we know we have to improve.

"It's not just the manager, it's not just the tactics. It's all of us. It's not the time to blame one person. We are all together in this.

"Some of my friends told me, if this situation was happening in another club in Spain, it would be different but the club and the players are behind the manager.

"We need to be strong as a team, as a dressing-room, and keep working hard. We need to improve, we know it, but we need to do it together."

Goal revealed on Wednesday that Moyes had travelled to Portugal to watch Porto take on Benfica and assessed a number of scouting targets, including Jackson Martinez, and Mata has now revealed that, when discussing the move to United, he was told that the club would make significant moves in the transfer market as they look to rebuild the side.

"When I joined, in all my conversations with the board and the manager about next season, they were confident about getting the right players," the attacker recalled.

"They know, and I know, we're in a transitional moment but, in the summer, they're going to try to sign a few players and I have the faith they are going to bring top players in.

"I'm sure this club is going to come back and fight for every trophy. Since I was a kid, Manchester United was fighting for everything and this moment is going to come back for sure."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Gerrard, Sturridge & Suarez nominated as Liverpool dominate PFA Player of the Year shortlist

390286_heroa.jpg

By Sam Lee
Apr 18, 2014 1:17:00 PM

The winner will be announced on Sunday, April 27 and Suarez is favourite to be crowned the top footballer in England following a blistering season

Three Liverpool players have been shortlisted for the Player of the Year award, formally announced by the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) on Friday.

Steven Gerrard, Daniel Sturridge and Luis Suarez are joined by Yaya Toure, Eden Hazard and Adam Lallana on the list of six candidates who have been nominated by the players' union.

PFA PLAYER OF THE YEAR NOMINEES

Luis Suarez - Liverpool
Steven Gerrard - Liverpool
Daniel Sturridge - Liverpool
Yaya Toure - Manchester City
Eden Hazard - Chelsea
Adam Lallana - Southampton

The winner will be announced at the 41st PFA awards at Grosvenor House on Sunday, April 27.

Suarez is favourite for the award thanks to a blistering season which has helped propell Liverpool to the top of the Premier League table.

The Uruguayan has scored 29 goals in 29 league matches so far this season to help put the Reds on the brink of their first title since 1990, and would be the first South American to lift the award since its inception in 1974.

He represents Liverpool alongside Gerrard and Sturridge.

Gerrard has previously won the award in 2005-06, while Sturridge has also been nominated for the PFA Young Player of the Year award and will be hopeful of emulating Gareth Bale, who won both gongs last season.

Toure, whose 18 league goals from midfield have been key for Manchester City this season, would be the first African player to be honoured by the PFA's main honour.

Hazard has been named on the list two months after his manager at Chelsea, Jose Mourinho, complained that the Belgian had never won a Player of the Month award, which is awarded by the Premier League.

The 24-year-old has often been the stand-out performer in the Blues' attack this season, scoring 14 goals in 33 league matches. He, like Sturridge, has also been named on the Young Player of the Year shortlist.

Adam Lallana has also made the list following an outstanding season for Southampton, which has seen him thrust into the reckoning for Roy Hodgson's England squad for this summer's World Cup.

Last year, Bale, then at Tottenham, won both the PFA Footballer of the Year and PFA Young Footballer of the Year awards, as well as the Football Writers' award.

PFA delegates delivered the ballot forms to the 92 Premier and Football League clubs in March, before all votes were counted by Beever & Struthers Chartered Accountants this week.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Moyes braced for intimidating Goodison Park

David Moyes expects an "intimidating" atmosphere when he takes his Manchester United team to Everton for the first time since he left for Old Trafford.

107887287.jpg

Saturday 19th April 2014

Tears filled Moyes' eyes at Goodison Park when he waved goodbye to Everton fans last May following the final game of his 11-year spell at the club.

The Scot was given a guard of honour, and he struggled to contain his emotions as he walked around the pitch at the end of the 2-0 win over West Ham.

But there was little sign of that love last December when Everton came to Old Trafford.

Everton, rising up the table, beat United 1-0 and Moyes' afternoon was soured by a large section of Toffees fans who barracked the Scot and declared their former manager would be sacked in the morning.

There is a growing feeling that, despite the pleas of his successor Roberto Martinez, Moyes will be subjected to the same sort of treatment from the terraces on Sunday when he returns.

The United manager, who has Wayne Rooney available following his recovery from a toe injury, wants the focus to be on the teams on the pitch, rather than himself, but he could not escape being questioned about the matter at his pre-match press conference on Friday.

"It's always been an intimidating atmosphere at Goodison," said Moyes when asked about the potential reception he might get.

"I was a manager there and I know exactly what it can be like.

"Football will be football. I am a football supporter and that is how it works sometimes."

Moyes saved Everton from relegation when he replaced Walter Smith in March 2002 and from then on it was a tale of constant success for the former Preston boss despite budget constraints.

Everton qualified for the Champions League in 2005 - although they were defeated by Villarreal in qualifying - and Moyes also led the Merseyside club to the FA Cup final in 2009.

The likes of Rooney, Phil Jagielka and Mikel Arteta all flourished under Moyes' tutelage, but it was United's £28million bid for Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini that turned Everton supporters against their former manager.

Just after Everton's win at Old Trafford, Moyes was forced to deny claims he branded Toffees supporters a "disgrace" for the barracking they gave him.

"You get on with your job," said Moyes when asked how he felt after being verbally abused by Everton fans.

"I am Manchester United manager now and that is what I concentrate on.

"(Sunday's) game is not about me, it's about Everton and Manchester United.

"This was the first game I looked for when the fixture list came out.

"I was always thinking when would I first be going back to Goodison.

"I will go back with great memories. I had great times there.

"It will be a strange day, but I'm looking forward to it."

Moyes further angered Everton fans by claiming he was trying to do "the right thing" for Baines and Fellaini by offering them a route out of Goodison.

The fact that seventh-placed United are nine points behind Everton suggests Baines was right to stay and commit while Fellaini may have been better off doing so too.

The contrast between United's woeful season under Moyes, and Everton's success with Martinez at the helm could hardly be greater.

The failed double-bid does not seem to have damaged Moyes' relationship with Everton, who branded the offer "derisory" and "insulting" at the time.

"I have always had a great relationship with the players, the board and with the chairman," Moyes said.

"I regularly get messages from the players wishing me good luck and I saw the chairman last week at Sunderland, but I go back as Manchester United manager and I am going back there to win."

As expected, Rooney will be fit to face his old club after he made a full recovery from the toe injury that hindered him in Munich last week.

Moyes also revealed that Robin van Persie is undergoing intensive work in Holland, where he is recovering from a knee injury which has kept him out for four weeks.

"Robin is making improvements," said Moyes, who will be without Rafael on Sunday due to a thigh injury.

"We always thought it would be 4-6 weeks with Robin.

"Our medical team is heading out there to see him this week and get a better feel as to exactly where he is."

Moyes was in a good mood ahead of his first match back at Goodison Park since leaving the club to join United last summer.

His spirits have been lifted by the news that Robin van Persie is making a good progress in his return from a knee injury he sustained against Olympiacos.

Van Persie jarred his knee in the 3-0 win against the Greeks on March 21 and he has been sent to Holland to aid his recovery.

"Robin is making improvements," the Scot said.

"We always thought he would be out for 4-6 weeks.

"We'll have a better assessment in the next week or so as we'll see how he is coming along.

"Our medical team is heading out there to see him this week and get a better feel as to exactly where he is."

Moyes confirmed that Marouane Fellaini has overcome a calf injury and should be fit to face his old club.

"Felli (Fellaini) didn't play against Bayern but we expect him back fit because he has trained all week," Moyes said.

Sunday's fixture will be the first time Moyes has gone back to the club where he spent 11 successful years.

Moyes had tears in his eyes as he said his goodbyes to the Everton fans last May, but some Toffees supporters turned against him shortly after his departure.

A failed £28million bid from United for Fellaini and England left-back Leighton Baines angered some Everton fans and the Merseyside club branded the offer as "derisory" and "insulting".

That anger was evident when Everton supporters barracked Moyes during the Toffees' 1-0 win at Old Trafford in December.

Moyes was reluctant to speak about what kind of reception he might get at Goodison this weekend.

"The game is not about me, it's about Everton and Manchester United," he said.

"I was proud to be manager of Everton at that time but my job now is to make sure I get a result for Manchester United.

"The fans were always terrific in my time there, they were very supportive and always right behind the team.

"We had some really big games there at times and they'll be supporting the team like the Manchester United supporters have for their team."

Some had expected Everton to go through a year of transition under Roberto Martinez, but Moyes' successor has enjoyed a superb first year on Merseyside.

Everton are one point adrift of the top four and had it not been for a midweek defeat to Crystal Palace, Martinez's team would have been in pole position to pip Arsenal to the final Champions League qualification place.

Moyes, on the other hand, has struggled during his first term at Old Trafford.

Moyes admits it is almost "mathematically impossible" to catch Everton or Arsenal, but he does not begrudge his old side any success.

"I'm looking forward to going back as I had some great times and worked with great people and, more importantly, some great players," Moyes added.

"They were terrific and I'm really pleased to see them doing well.

"Roberto has done a brilliant job there in the time he has been in charge.

"He's got them playing well and in a good, healthy league position so I go back with some great feelings but I'm back now as Manchester United manager and my focus is on that now."

With United so far off the Champions League places, it is clear that Moyes needs to overhaul his squad if he is to challenge for a top-four finish next year, let alone the Premier League title.

The Scot has been linked with moves for Toni Kroos, Luke Shaw and a number of players from the Portuguese league, including William Carvalho, Eliaquim Mangala and Jackson Martinez.

Moyes says his attempts to bring in new players next year are progressing well, even though United are no longer able to offer Champions League football.

"I'm well into my planning with my thoughts and ideas getting ready for next year," he said. "We're linked with player after player and, every time I go to a game, I'm supposed to signing three or four players from that game.

"That isn't the case, but everyone is well aware we are looking to make signings and will try to do that whenever the opportunity arises.

"It will probably be after the end of the season before anything takes place but we have got to look to do one or two things."

Moyes ruled Rafael out due to a thigh problem while Jonny Evans is a doubt because of a long-term calf injury.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Goodison a "no fly zone" for Moyes

David Moyes admits he has been unable to go back to Goodison Park on scouting missions ever since he left Everton to join Manchester United.

Moyes.jpg

Saturday 19th April 2014

Moyes will sit in the away dugout at Goodison Park for the first time on Sunday when he takes Manchester United to the club where he spent 11 years as manager.

The last time Moyes set foot inside the stadium was in May last year when he bade an emotional farewell to 40,000 Evertonians following his final game in charge.

Those Everton fans started to turn against Moyes later that summer when he failed with a £28million bid for Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini - an offer the Merseyside club branded "insulting" and "derisory".

Everton fans booed Moyes when they visited Old Trafford in December, and the feeling of resentment towards the Scot has been so strong that he has been unwilling to return to the club ever since his departure.

"I went to see Everton (play) last Saturday at Sunderland, but I've not been back to Goodison this season," said Moyes, who regularly attends matches to scout opposition players and potential transfer targets.

"It's nearly a year since I left.

"I've just felt that it wasn't the right time to go back at this moment in time.

"Time is a big healer.

"I think there was animosity at the way we would have liked to have bought a couple of the players. But some Manchester United players go to Everton, so there is reverse."

United ended up buying Fellaini for £27.5million but Baines committed his future to Everton.

Moyes feels some Everton fans are also angry with him as they do not believe the sequence of events that led up to him being appointed United boss.

Some think Moyes stalled on signing a new deal at Everton as he knew Sir Alex Ferguson would retire at the end of last season.

Moyes insists that was not the case, but he concedes some Everton supporters do not believe him.

"What needs healing, possibly, is the way people saw me leaving," Moyes added.

"Maybe people don't believe how it happened.

"But it is exactly how it came about. It happened two weeks before the end of the season.

"I had been there for 11 years. You'd have to say it couldn't have been done much better."

While Moyes has struggled in his first season at United, his successor at Goodison Park has been a resounding success.

Everton are just one point behind fourth-place Arsenal and they would have gone into Sunday's game inside the Champions League places had they not lost to Crystal Palace in midweek.

Moyes has been impressed by the job Roberto Martinez has done, but he reminded the Everton faithful that he also brought good times to Goodison Park.

"I think it's great credit to Roberto but there was a group of players there who were always capable of improving, getting better and moving further up the league," he said.

"You have to remember that Everton finished above Liverpool for the last two years and got into the Champions League (qualifying stages in 2005).

"Hopefully in time everyone will look at (my time there) and say it was a really good time in Everton's history."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sherwood struggling to name winning eleven

Tim Sherwood admits he is unable to pinpoint Tottenham's best XI despite being at the helm for four months.

Tottenham.jpg

Saturday 19th April 2014

This has been an anti-climactic season at White Hart Lane, with the expectation brought by a flurry of summer signings quickly dampened.

Andre Villas-Boas' inability to adapt to life without Gareth Bale cost him the Spurs job in December, leading to Sherwood's appointment on an 18-month deal after an impressive spell in caretaker charge.

Things have not fared quite so well since, however, and the former midfielder is widely-expected to be replaced after the final four matches of the season.

First up is the arrival of embattled Fulham arrive at White Hart Lane on Saturday - a match Sherwood approaches admitting he still does not know Spurs' best line-up.

"I couldn't tell you," he said. "And I don't know whether that's good or bad.

"I have assessed the players more than anyone. I could not tell you the best 11 players at Tottenham.

"They're are all so similar, much of a muchness regarding the same quality. I'm not sure there's any hierarchy or whether a player is like this good and that one is [that good].

"Our two exceptions are the goalie and Emmanuel Adebayor. Christian Eriksen is getting that way inclined, you can't leave him out at the moment."

The failure of Spurs' summer signings - with the exception of Eriksen - to hit the ground running have played a major part in Sherwood's inability to properly assess the squad.

Roberto Soldado, Erik Lamela and Etienne Capoue have struggled in their first season, while Vlad Chiriches, Paulinho and Nacer Chadli have only shown flashes of quality.

"All of them will benefit from a year here," Sherwood said. "All of them will be better, without a doubt, because they will have had a season in the Premier League.

"That's the ones who have played. You need to have a certain amount of games.

"Probably Eric and Etienne have not played enough but they will have benefited from a year in London and their language will be better and hopefully they can settle on the pitch.

"But the rest of them will all be better. All can improve."

Soldado, Lamela and Capoue will be sidelined again for the visit of Fulham, while injury also rules out Michael Dawson, Jan Vertonghen and Kyle Walker.

The latter has not featured for Spurs since March 13 due to a pelvic injury, but Sherwood does not think that will mean the 23-year-old will miss out on England's World Cup squad.

"I was hoping to see him on the training field at some stage but I don't' think he is ready," he said.

"What it is now there is a long time before the World Cup, they seem to have a lot of friendlies before so I am not sure that it is that important to their international manager if they played in the Premier League before that.

"It all depends on what options Roy has got at right-back. Glen Johnson is the only other option apart from Kyle Walker. Carl Jenkinson is not playing either and he is not injured."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yaya Toure: I don't get recognition because I'm African

374568_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Apr 18, 2014 8:57:00 PM

The Ivory Coast international says he wants to prove players from his continent are as good as those from Europe and South America

Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure believes he is not recognised as one of the world's best players because he is African.

The Ivory Coast international, who has won league titles in England, Spain and Greece, as well as the Champions League with Barcelona, was among the six names shortlisted for the Professional Footballers' Association’s Player of the Year award on Friday.

Following the club’s Capital One Cup victory at Wembley in March, Samir Nasri claimed Toure would be considered as the best midfielder in the world if he wasn’t African.

“I think what Samir was saying was definitely true,” Toure told BBC’s Football Focus. "To be honest, proper recognition has only come from the fans.

“I don't want to be hard and I don't want to be negative, but I want to be honest.

"If you go to any part of Africa now, people will say 'yes, we know him [Lionel Messi]', but when you come to Europe and say 'Yaya Toure' people will say 'who is that?'

"Some will say they know my name but not know my face. But they will know Messi's face.

"I am very proud to be African, I want to defend African people and I want to show to the world that African players can be as good as the Europeans and South Americans."