• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Barclays Premier League Season 2013-14 ║

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sturridge declares himself fit for Chelsea clash

389408_heroa.jpg

By Dejan Kalinic
Apr 24, 2014 10:50:00 AM

The striker has been ruled out with a hamstring injury in recent weeks but hopes to be fit enough to face his former club on Sunday

Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge is hopeful of returning from injury for Sunday's crucial clash with Chelsea.

The England international, 24, complained about pain in his hamstring during his side's 3-2 win over Manchester City on April 13 and was subsequently substituted.

Sturridge has since missed one game with the problem, but hopes to return to face his former club – who sit five points behind Brendan Rodgers' Premier League leaders.

"Hopefully this weekend I'll be back," Sturridge said in a question-and-answer session with children on Wednesday.

"I'm not too sure if [Rodgers] will play me or not. We'll have to see."

Asked if he would celebrate if he scored against his former club, Sturridge said it was something he wanted to avoid.

"I would like to show respect to my former club, but if I were to come on and score in the last minute I'm going to be on a mad one, aren't I?" he said.

"I don't want to - but I don't know if I could control myself if that happened."

Sturridge has scored 20 league goals this season, combining with Luis Suarez (30) to help Liverpool to the brink of their first league title in 24 years.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Arsenal contact Van Gaal due to Wenger uncertainty

388699_heroa.jpg

Apr 24, 2014 8:35:00 AM

The Gunners regard the Netherlands coach as one of several short-term contingency plans in the event that their manager decides to call time on his 18-year reign next month

By Wayne Veysey | UK Correspondent

Arsenal have made contact with Louis van Gaal amid ongoing uncertainty over the future of Arsene Wenger.

The Gunners remain confident that Wenger will sign a two-year contract extension agreed last October but know he will quit as manager if the team fail to meet his targets over the next month.

As revealed, the Frenchman has told friends he is considering bringing an end to his 18-year Gunners reign if they do not win the FA Cup and finish in the top four of the Premier League.

One of several "short-term" contingency plans being explored by Arsenal is luring Van Gaal to north London when his contract with Holland expires after the World Cup.

Van Gaal has already held talks with a delegation from Manchester United and has had three meetings with Tottenham but it is understood that the Dutchman has rejected the opportunity to replace Tim Sherwood at Spurs at the end of the season.

Van Gaal is now keeping his options open as he awaits developments at both United and Arsenal.

Intriguingly, three of his former backroom staff, all Dutchmen, have recently taken on jobs at the Arsenal academy following a restructuring of the club’s youth set-up.

Andries Jonker, who will replace the retiring Liam Brady as academy director in the summer, worked alongside Van Gaal at Bayern Munich and Barcelona as well as at the Dutch FA.

Jan van Loon, who will manage the Under-16s, and Frans de Kat, who will coach the Under-18, both worked with Van Gaal at the Dutch FA. The Dutch trio will all start on July 1.

Despite considering Van Gaal, losing Wenger would be a huge blow to Arsenal chiefs, who have continued to give the Frenchman their unwavering support.

The results of the last four matches of the season, which culminate in the FA Cup final against Hull City on May 17, are now set to determine whether Wenger formally commits to a deal that would extend his reign to a remarkable 20 years.

There are not expected to be wholesale changes to the backroom team should Wenger make the shock decision to call time on his Arsenal tenure.

Long-standing ally Boro Primorac, fitness coach Tony Colbert and goalkeeping coach Gerry Peyton would be likely to follow Wenger out of the exit door but assistant manager Steve Bould, first-team coach Neil Banfield and the rest of the senior medical and technical staff would be expected to stay on.

All of the senior staff have agreed deals that mirror Wenger’s and run until 2016, while more junior members of Wenger's backroom team are on 12-month rolling contracts. It is understood the agreements are all in place and are waiting on Wenger to be formalsly rubberstamped.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

FA charges Chelsea trio Mourinho, Ramires and Rui Faria

1220981-25473019-640-360.jpg

By George Ankers
Apr 23, 2014 7:15:00 PM

The Blues boss and his assistant are accused of misconduct while the Brazilian midfielder may miss the rest of the Premier League season for appearing to strike Sebastian Larsson

The English Football Association has confirmed that it has charged Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho along with assistant Rui Faria and midfielder Ramires following the Blues' 2-1 defeat to Sunderland on Saturday.

Mourinho has been charged with misconduct for his comments regarding refereeing, having "congratulated" match official Mike Dean and referees' chief Mike Riley in his post-game press conference.

"Congratulations to Mike Dean because he made a fantastic performance," the Portuguese sarcastically told the press, "and congratulations to Mike Riley because what they did during the season was fantastic for the way the championship is going."

Faria had to be held back by fellow Blues staff as he fumed at the penalty that won Sunderland the game and is hit with two misconduct charges, one for abusive langauge and the other for improper conduct.

Ramires, meanwhile, is charged with violent conduct and faces a retrospective red card and a four-match ban that would end his season, with the standard three amplified by one for it being his second dismissal of the campaign.

The Brazilian appeared to strike Sebastian Larsson in the face in the first half at Stamford Bridge and has until 18.00BST on Thursday to respond to the charge.

Mourinho and Faria have until the same time on Monday to decide on their responses.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'Chosen One' banner removed after Moyes sacking

AFP By Steven Griffiths
Apr 24, 2014

e207a65694af3d73174ae3fb0a0ec7216b5064be.jpg

"The Chosen One" banner hangs at the Stretford End during the English Premier League football match in Manchester, northwest England, on March 29, 2014 (AFP Photo/Andrew Yates)

London (AFP) - The last visible evidence of David Moyes' miserable reign at Manchester United was removed on Thursday as the infamous 'The Chosen One' banner was taken down from the Stretford End at Old Trafford.

‘The Chosen One’ banner of David Moyes taken down by Manchester United NBC Sports

Moyes was sacked on Tuesday after just 10 months in charge of United and the much-maligned Scot is quickly being erased from the club's history.

After being hand-picked by his predecessor Alex Ferguson to take over at United, Moyes was hailed by supporters as the chosen one, a reference to Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho's self-styled nickname 'the Special One'.

Stretford End Flags, a group of fans who decorate Old Trafford's most famous stand with banners praising current and former players and managers, paid for 'The Chosen One' mural, written in red capital letters with an accompanying picture of Moyes, to be made to welcome their new manager from Everton.

But as results turned sour for Moyes, with United tumbling down the Premier League while crashing out of the cup competitions, some fans called for the banner to be removed and it was reported that the makers were considering taking it down.

In the end, the banner remained in place for the whole of Moyes' dismal spell at the club, but within 48 hours of his exit it had been taken down ahead of Saturday's home game against Norwich, which makes the start of Old Trafford icon Ryan Giggs's spell as interim manager until the end of the season.

Stretford End Flags are considering donating the banner to the National Football Museum in Manchester.

"It's something we're going to think about carefully. We may offer it to the National Football Museum or auction it off for charity," the group's co-founder Andrew Kilduff told the Manchester Evening News.

"It got a lot of coverage. But there are no regrets about it. Old Trafford is filled with symbolism so there is no hiding place for a manager."

But a National Football Museum spokesman told the BBC: "Every object within our collection needs to fit within our strict collections guidelines.

"We are offered objects on a regular basis and, while we are always grateful for these offers, we often have to decline for reasons of space and because it doesn't fit within our guidelines."

With a space opened up now the Moyes banner is gone, Stretford End Flags are planning a new mural in tribute to Bobby Charlton, one of United's all-time greats who still serves on the board of directors.

Meanwhile, Borussia Dortmund's charismatic coach Jurgen Klopp reiterated Thursday he will not be succeeding Moyes.

"It's a bit uncomfortable to give someone a rejection when no offer has come, but it looks like that's what I have to do," said Klopp when asked about the role after Moyes was sacked on Tuesday.

Klopp has a contract with Dortmund until 2018 and said while United are "a really great" club, he was content with his lot, "because there are about 1000 reasons to be super happy to work with this club".

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Moyes ignored advice & underestimated magnitude of Manchester United, says Meulensteen

394031_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Apr 25, 2014 8:32:00 AM

The Dutchman believes the Scot's immediate changes "backfired" and likened the 51-year-old's task at Old Trafford to moving from "a yacht to a cruise liner"

Former Manchester United coach Rene Meulensteen claims David Moyes ignored advice at the start of his career at Old Trafford and believes the Scot underestimated the magnitude of succeeding Sir Alex Ferguson.

Moyes was sacked on Tuesday morning after just 10 months in charge, while United are already guaranteed to register their lowest ever Premier League finish and have broken a number of unwanted records during the 51-year-old's reign.

Meulensteen, who spent 12 years at United, left the club seven weeks after Moyes' appointment and the Dutchman believes the Scot's decision to make immediate changes "backfired".

"United were a very successful team, with many successful years behind them," Meulensteen told Sirius XM.

"The strategies in place worked. I think David ignored the advice that was given to him by many of the staff in place at the time.

"He opted to put his own plans in place, which he was perfectly entitled to do, but I think it backfired on him.

"It became very evident to me after a few meetings with David Moyes that he wanted to bring in his own people and do it his own way.

"I felt very strongly that things would change dramatically for myself and the position I held so I didn't feel there was a good foundation to carry on, basically."

Meulensteen also feels Moyes failed to judge the scale of the task at United following his 11-year stint in charge of Everton.

"One of the things I did say to him, I tried to warm him: 'Do you realise, after everything at Everton, you're going from a yacht to a cruise liner? That's how big the difference will be'," said Meulensteen.

"It's not just necessarily the work you have to do on the pitch. It's everything that surrounds Manchester United football club, the players, the performances, the pressure, the style, the identity.

"And I think, to be perfectly honest, he underestimated that."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Butt 'proud' to be part of Giggs's coaching team at Manchester United

395048_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Apr 24, 2014 11:54:00 PM

The former midfielder, who spent 12 seasons at Old Trafford, admits it will be a "surreal" moment when four members of the 'Class of '92' will be in the dugout against Norwich

Nicky Butt says he is "proud" to be part of Ryan Giggs's coaching team at Manchester United.

Following the sacking of David Moyes on Tuesday, Giggs has been placed in temporary charge of the first team while Butt and Paul Scholes are assisting the 40-year-old, with Phil Neville retained as part of the coaching staff.

United host Norwich City at Old Trafford on Saturday with four members of the 'Class of '92' in the dugout and Butt admits it will be an incredible situation for him and his former team-mates.

"It will be massive for us, a proud moment for us all," Butt told MUTV. "To be there together is a bit of a surreal thing.

"We walked in here together when we were 12 and to be here now - I'm not 40 yet but Giggsy is, and myself and Scholes are nearly there too. So for us and Phil to be there together is a very proud moment.

"We're here to try to help the club and get the results that we want from now until the end of the season. What happens after that, who knows?"

Despite the fact United will register their worst ever finish in the Premier League era this season, Butt insists the club possess "hard-working" players and the former midfielder has challenged the squad to recover from last Sunday's 2-0 defeat to Everton.

"We've got some amazing players at this club, good lads who care about the club, who are really positive about United and want the best for the club,” said Butt.

"Saturday is a massive occasion, not only for Ryan, but for the staff, the fans and the players as well because they know that we've underachieved as a club this year.

"The players in that changing room know how good they are. They look round, look left and look right at the players next to them and know that they are very proud, hard-working lads. I'm sure we'll see that on Saturday."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wenger: Moyes' Manchester United sacking highlights a big threat to football

369017_heroa.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
Apr 25, 2014 12:00:00 PM

The Arsenal boss sympathises with the Scot, who was relieved of his duties on Tuesday, and believes quick-fire dismissals are a danger to the game

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has expressed his sadness at David Moyes' departure from Manchester United, claiming the Scot should have been given more time at Old Trafford.

Moyes was sacked on Tuesday, just two days after a damaging 2-0 loss to Everton at Goodison Park which left the club with no chance of qualifying for this season's Champions League.

Ryan Giggs has since been placed in caretaker charge of the club, but Wenger has been left bemused by the axing of the ex-Preston manager.

"I'm sad that he wasn't give him time," he told reporters on Friday. "I wish him well and it is part of the modern game. It is a big threat for our game."

Wenger also confirmed that Jack Wilshere is "progressing well" as he recovers from injury, but revealed that Abou Diaby – who made his playing return in an Under-21 game earlier this week after recovering from ligament damage – has suffered a further setback and will be unavailable for Monday's clash with Newcastle.

"He had a little groin problem after the (under-21) game so will not be available on Monday," he added.

Meanwhile, Thomas Vermaelen could return to the squad, though Kieran Gibbs remains sidelined.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ljungberg backs Arsenal to end trophy drought

285633_heroa.jpg

Apr 25, 2014 10:37:00 AM

The former Gunners midfielder believes Arsene Wenger's side can get back to winning ways soon, while admitting that Liverpool's success has taken him by surprise

EXCLUSIVE
By Marco Terrenato

Freddie Ljungberg believes Arsenal can return to English football's top table, with Arsene Wenger ready to splash the cash in the transfer market.

Despite garnering a reputation for snubbing big-money buys, Wenger agreed to pay Real Madrid €50 million to sign Mesut Ozil at the beginning of the season and is currently planning for the summer – despite informing club powerbrokers that he will leave if his targets of winning the FA Cup and finishing in the top four are not met in the next month.

And Ljungberg – who spent eight years at Arsenal – has backed them to finally end their recent trophy drought in the near future if Wenger invests in some “ready made champions”.

"Arsenal didn't change their philosophy in recent years, with the same coach they developed their own particular style, 'Arsenal style'," he told Goal.

"Unfortunately they had to complete the payment for the Emirates Stadium so they couldn't invest that much in top players, but I think they will do so more often in the next few years. When you work so much on your youth academy, then you also need some ready champions who may be able to help young players to improve.

"I'm confident to see Arsenal back on top very soon, winning trophies again."

Ljungberg also admits he expected to see Arsenal challenge for the title this season, but claims Liverpool's success – the Reds are on the verge of claiming a first league title since 1990 – has taken him by surprise.

"To be honest, last summer I didn't expect to see Liverpool on top," he added. "I believed that teams like Arsenal, Chelsea and [Manchester] City were much more gifted than the Reds.

"But now I say that they fully deserve what they're getting: they have a wonderful striker like [Luis] Suarez, and [Steven] Gerrard is having an astonishing campaign. And they really play attractive football."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Podolski open to Koln return

362471_heroa.jpg

By Alex Young
Apr 25, 2014 8:21:00 AM

The striker says a third spell at his boyhood club would be "a matter of the heart" following the German outfit's promotion to the Bundesliga, but insists he is happy at Arsenal

Lukas Podolski admits he is open to returning to former side Koln but insists he is happy at Arsenal.

The striker joined the Gunners from his boyhood club in 2012 in a deal worth €13.4 million and was in attendance last week as Koln secured their return to the Bundesliga with a win over Bochum.

And Podolski, who recently admitted he was "not happy" at regularly being substituted during Arsenal games, has hinted at a possible move back to Koln for a third spell in the future.

"The Bundesliga is one of the best leagues in the world and therefore, in principle, is always interesting," he told Transfermarkt.

"In the Bundesliga, my thoughts naturally turn first to [Koln]. That is much more than a club for me, this is my home. Maybe I'll return one day; that is, for me, always an option and matter of the heart."

Podolski has struggled with form and fitness this season, with the club open to offers for the 28-year-old, but after four goals in his last two outings the forward is happy to remain at the club.

"[I have an Arsenal contract] which I would also like to fulfil," said the German

"But, as I said, you never know in football. Sometimes everything happens very quickly."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Liverpool were 'seconds' from financial ruin, reveals Ayre

394348_heroa.jpg

By Alex Young
Apr 25, 2014 9:12:00 AM

The Reds' managing director says the situation was "horrific" before John W Henry's €364 million acquisition of the club prevented possible administration

Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre has revealed the club were "seconds" away from financial ruin before John W Henry completed his takeover of the club.

The American, heading Fenway Sports Group, bought the club for €364 million in 2010 after the current Premier League leaders faced administration under previous owners Tom Hicks and Tom Gillett.

And Ayre admits the current forecast of success the club is enjoying - with a return to the Champions League confirmed and a first league title since 1990 in their sights - could easily have not materialised.

"I do not think there was a Liverpool fan in the city or anywhere who was not worried we would not get to this position, for many reasons. It was more to do with the governance of the club," he told reporters.

"It is no secret, it's like that TV programme 'Seconds from Disaster' - we were sort of in that vein. It was horrific to see the football club in that state. People sometimes forget how bad it was. I speak to people now and they have really short memories.

"When you think about that day when we tipped it over the edge and finally pulled it back we have come such a long way. It's easy to say it's about time we are back in the Champions League.

"But if you think about where we were financially, just because you are Liverpool FC it does not mean you have a right to get back up there. There are plenty of teams who could have slipped and slipped, despite new owners.

"So it's an unbelievable achievement to get back where we are. As one of the few people who was here with the last ownership and through this one, the club is in a fantastically sustainable position now."

The takeover was finally resolved via the High Court, but Hicks and Gillett launched a lawsuit against FSG the following year which was settled out of court.

Ayre continued: "The hardest thing after the event was the previous owners never felt the right thing had been done but it was the right thing.

"We went from the court ruling, two years of scrapping via lawyers. One of the biggest parts of the court case was they said we could not legally make the transaction. John W Henry was waiting for the ruling to do the deal. It was horrific."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Zabaleta: Manchester City have not given up on title

374519_heroa.jpg

By Alex Young
Apr 25, 2014 11:07:00 AM

The Blues have a game in hand and boast a superior goal difference to league leaders Liverpool, but need the Merseyside outfit to drop points to stand a chance of finishing first

Pablo Zabaleta insists the Manchester City squad still believe they can win the title but acknowledges Liverpool must drop points to give them a chance.

A 3-2 loss to Brendan Rodgers's league leaders earlier in April saw City's title hopes depend on others slipping up, and the full-back praised Liverpool for their record-breaking form as the season nears an end.

City currently sit six points off the pace, but have a game in hand and a superior goal difference to Liverpool, and Zabaleta has urged focus from the squad heading into their final four matches.

"We have belief. This is the main reason we won on Monday [against West Brom], to show again this team wants to win the league," he told reporters.

"In football you never know what can happen. Liverpool are doing great, winning 11 games in a row in the league, the first time in one season in Premier League history, I believe.

"They have three games until the end, and we have four. If they drop any points, we have a chance if we win our games.

"If they win all of their games, we must just give them credit, and there will be nothing we can do. We need to keep focused on what we are doing and move on to the next game."

Next up for City is Crystal Palace, who have won five on the trot to confirm their Premier League status for next season, while second-placed Chelsea travel to Anfield aiming to give their own chances a boost.

"We will see what happens with Chelsea and Liverpool, hopefully they can drop some points which would be great for us and give us a chance to close the gap with a win at Palace," said Zabaleta.

"We know we are playing for something big. We want to win this league ... that is the spirit we need from everyone, as we know these last few games will decide the league.

"We will see, as we know how difficult it is to play Crystal Palace away. They are in a great moment and Tony Pulis is doing a great job so it will be a very tough game."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ancelotti, Mourinho not interested in United job

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has categorically ruled out the prospect of a move to Manchester United while his successor at Real Madrid, Carlo Ancelotti, has distanced himself from a return to England.

ANCELOTTIPRESSERREADY-1_1382469828456_685_1.jpg

Friday 25th April 2014

Mourinho has often been linked with Old Trafford throughout his hugely successful career and was touted as a possible successor to Sir Alex Ferguson as the years wound down on the Scot's career.

Now there is a vacancy at United for the second time in 11 months, but Mourinho, who returned to Chelsea last summer after a near six-year absence, is adamant he is not a contender to succeed David Moyes.

"Of course not," Mourinho said.

"I don't know how can somebody think about it.

"I left Real Madrid to come specifically to Chelsea, I signed a four-year contract with Chelsea.

"I told Chelsea that they never have to worry about me because I don't want to leave. I stay here until the club wants me to stay.

"(No) job would move me from Chelsea."

Mourinho expressed regret at Moyes' departure earlier this week and has since spoken to the former Everton boss.

"I spoke with David privately and I don't have to share with you," Mourinho added.

Meanwhile, Real boss Ancelotti is similarly adamant he will not be leaving Spain to replace Moyes.

The Italian, well known to English fans after a successful stint with Chelsea, has been linked to the role.

He is a popular figure in the Spanish capital, though, and could, over the coming weeks, add the Champions League and Primera Division titles to the Copa del Rey he has already won.

Speaking at Los Blancos' media conference ahead of their clash with Osasuna he said: "I'm happy here at Real Madrid. I am lucky to be working at the best club in the world and my place is here.

"I respect Man United a lot. I was disappointed for David Moyes, but my place at the moment is here."

Ancelotti, 54, is a renowned coach around the world, having won the Champions League and domestic honours with AC Milan, while also winning titles with Chelsea and Paris St Germain.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

5 things about the English Premier League

By STEVE DOUGLAS
AP Sports Writer
Posted on Thursday, 04.24.14

478-1efWJq.St.55.jpeg

Liverpool's Raheem Sterling, right, celebrates scoring the opening goal during their English Premier League match against Norwich City at Carrow Road, Norwich, eastern England, Sunday April 20, 2014. (AP Photo/PA, Chris Radburn)

MANCHESTER, England — It takes something pretty special to overshadow Ryan Giggs’ first game as manager of Manchester United.

A potentially title-defining match between Liverpool and Chelsea can be described as just that.

Liverpool can eliminate Chelsea from the title race — and move to the brink of a first English championship in 24 years — with a win at Anfield on Sunday in a contest that will capture the world’s attention. The Reds hold a five-point lead over Chelsea with three games remaining, with Manchester City a point further back in third but with a match in hand.

United is usually in title contention at this stage of the season. Not this time.

David Moyes was fired on Tuesday with the team seventh in the standings and with no chance of qualifying for next season’s Champions League. Giggs, a United great, has taken temporary charge of a team he has graced for 23 years and his first match is against Norwich on Saturday.

Here are five things to know about the Premier League’s upcoming games:

MIND GAMES

Perhaps Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho was just trying to lull Liverpool into a false sense of security by saying this week that the Champions League was his priority this season and that he’d prefer to pick a weakened team for the Liverpool match.

All will be discovered with his team lineup on Sunday.

The timing of the match is unfortunate for Chelsea, coming between the two legs of the Champions League semifinals against Atletico Madrid. Mourinho is sure to make changes to his team to give several players a breather, but how many?

Captain John Terry and goalkeeper Petr Cech will definitely miss out after being hurt in Tuesday’s first leg.

It all puts Liverpool in a very strong position as Brendan Rodgers’ team goes for a 12th straight league win that would put it in sight of the title. A victory for Liverpool and a slip-up by Manchester City at Crystal Palace later Sunday would mean the Reds having a chance to clinch the title with a match to spare.

NO ROOM FOR ERROR

Aside from maybe Liverpool, was there any team Man City would prefer not to play against this weekend than Crystal Palace? Probably not.

Under the wily stewardship of manager Tony Pulis, Palace has won its last five games to climb away from the relegation zone and secure Premier League football for another season. It’s a remarkable feat, given that the promoted team had only four points when Pulis was hired in November.

City stayed in realistic title contention by beating West Bromwich Albion 3-1 on Monday but it came at a cost, with David Silva injuring his right ankle. The absence of the Spain playmaker for this weekend would be a huge blow as he makes City’s attack tick.

Key midfielder Yaya Toure could return for City, though, and striker Sergio Aguero is slowly getting his match fitness back after a long lay-off. City realistically needs to win all four of its remaining matches to stand a chance of winning a second league title in three years.

UNITED/GIGGS

Perhaps the final vestige of David Moyes’ woeful reign at Man United was removed on Thursday when the “Chosen One” banner was finally brought down from the Stretford End at Old Trafford.

Will it be replaced by another sign in honour of Ryan Giggs?

Saturday marks another new start for United in the gloomy post-Alex Ferguson era, with Giggs taking charge of his first game as the club’s interim manager when Norwich visits Old Trafford.

Assisted by Nicky Butt, Paul Scholes and Phil Neville, Giggs’ priority will be to start picking up some wins and also to bring a smile back to United fans, many of whom have never seen the club so low.

Seventh-place United still has sixth position, which likely offers the final Europe League berth, to fight for. Tottenham is three points ahead in sixth.

RACE FOR FOURTH

Arsenal is in command of the race for the fourth and final Champions League qualification spot, holding a one-point advantage over Everton with both having three games remaining.

And the Gunners have much the easier match coming up, with Newcastle visiting Emirates Stadium on Monday on the back of five straight losses which has piled the pressure on manager Alan Pardew.

With attacking midfielders Mesut Ozil and Aaron Ramsey back fit, some cutting edge has returned to Arsenal’s attack just in time for a crucial last month of the season when the team looks to seal a 17th straight campaign in Europe’s top competition and to win the FA Cup final against Hull.

Everton plays at Southampton on Saturday. With its next match being at home to Man City, it’s easy to see why the Merseysiders are underdogs for fourth.

RELEGATION BATTLE

Sunderland has proved to be a nemesis for the big teams this season — it’s time for Gus Poyet’s last-place side to show its mettle against the Premier League’s strugglers if it is to preserve its top-flight status.

Nothing can be decided this weekend in the increasingly fraught relegation battle that still contains nine teams, but the outcome of Sunday’s crunch match between Cardiff and Sunderland — two members of the bottom three — will have a huge bearing on who goes down.

Sunderland has taken four points from trips to Man City and Chelsea over the past week — following up earlier victories over Everton and City in the league and triumphs against Chelsea and Man United on its path to the League Cup final — but is still bottom by a point behind Cardiff and Fulham.

Fulham is at home to 14th-place Hull, which would be only three points off the relegation zone with a loss. Fourth-to-last Norwich, who is two points from the bottom three, won’t expect to get much out of a trip to Old Trafford and fifth-bottom West Bromwich Albion hosts West Ham.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yaya Toure could return to face Crystal Palace - Pellegrini

390291_heroa.jpg

By Harry West
Apr 25, 2014 3:19:00 PM

The midfielder has missed games against Sunderland and West Brom after limping out of the loss to Liverpool, but is in line to feature at Selhurst Park

Manchester City look likely to have Yaya Toure back from injury when they visit Crystal Palace in the Premier League on Sunday.

The influential midfielder limped out of the 3-2 defeat Liverpool 12 days ago with a thigh injury and has not featured since, missing games against Sunderland and West Brom.

Pellegrini hinted that Yaya could be available as he omitted the Ivorian in a list of injured players in Friday's press conference, before hailing the importance of Sergio Aguero, who recently returned from an injury of his own.

"We have [David] Silva, Jesus Navas and [Matija] Nastasic out with injury - all of the other players are fit," he said.

"David is working, improving. With Navas' ankle, it's the same. These three players are injured - we don't know how much longer for David.

"It's good to have Sergio Aguero back. He's a top player and makes an important difference. We played a lot of games without him but always he's very important for the team."

City will have one eye on events at Anfield before their game on Sunday, with title rivals Liverpool and Chelsea going head-to-head.

With Chelsea taking on Atletico Madrid in the second leg of their Champions League semi-final next Wednesday, Jose Mourinho has hinted he may field a weakened side, but Pellegrini knows that is out of his hands.

"I don't know what Chelsea are going to do," he said. "The only important thing and the only thing we can do is to win our game and that is what we're going to do from now until the end of the season.

"I think that every team tries to do the best thing for their teams. We must win our games."

Last edited:

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Defiant Mourinho tight-lipped over Chelsea team selection

395300_heroa.jpg

By Peter Hanson
Apr 25, 2014 3:01:00 PM

The manager suggested he would name a weakened starting XI against Premier League leaders Liverpool to boost his side's chances in Europe

Jose Mourinho insists he will be acting in the best interests of Chelsea when he names his side for Sunday’s crunch clash with Liverpool.

The Portuguese suggested that he would name a weakened starting XI against the Premier League leaders after Tuesday's goalless draw in their Champions League semi-final first leg at Atletico Madrid.

Mourinho was asked whether an under-strength side would question the integrity of the Premier League, but the 51-year-old explained that his only concern is with his own team.

"I keep that [team selection] private," he said."Ask the competition [if rotating questions integrity], I cannot answer.

"The most important thing for me is my club and the supporters of my club. I have to defend my club and Chelsea supporters.

"If we are not helped to try to follow our dreams and objectives, [it is] one more reason for us to think about us and only us. Wait for Sunday and you will know our team."

The former Real Madrid boss was pressed on whether Chelsea's supporters would be disappointed to see a raft of changes, but Mourinho believes the Stamford Bridge faithful would understand the decision.

"I think Chelsea fans would like the club to be respected and to get the respect that Chelsea," he added.

"They know what Chelsea did. Not just for the club, but for English football as well. It's the last club [in England] to be European champion, to win [the] Europa League.

"[The] second thing they want is Chelsea to go to Liverpool at the maximum, giving everything they have. Which players play is our decision, not your decision."

Mourinho explaining that he did not "feel free" at his press conference following a Football Association charge after he congratulated referee Mike Dean for his "unbelievable " performance in the loss to Sunderland.

The governing body deemed his words to be calling the integrity of the official into question, but Mourinho sees things differently.

He added: "Every time I speak there is a consequence, even if I say the referee is amazing that is enough to be hit with a charge, so I don't feel free at all. If you want a better press conference speak with the FA not with me."

Mourinho also confirmed that captain John Terry and forward Eden Hazard will not recover from ankle and calf injuries respectively, and both are doubtful for Atletico on Wednesday.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Jose Mourinho unwitting player in Cesare Pagano’s mafia murder trial

PUBLISHED : Friday, 25 April, 2014, 9:00pm
UPDATED : Friday, 25 April, 2014, 9:00pm

Agence France-Presse in Rome

jose_mafia.jpg

Portuguese football manager Jose Mourinho. Photo: EPA

An Italian mafia gangster is basing his appeal against a conviction for murdering a fellow mobster on photographs that show his associate was with Portuguese football manager Jose Mourinho at the time.

Cesare Pagano was convicted to life in prison for shooting dead Carmine Amoruso, 43, in 2006 in a bingo hall in Mugnano near Naples.

But according to his lawyer, the supergrasses who told investigators he had boasted about the murder at the time with friend Rito Calzone were lying - because Calzone was in Barcelona, with then Chelsea coach Mourinho.

Pagano won the right to appeal his 2012 conviction based on plane tickets, hotel receipts and photographs showing Calzone posing with Mourinho and Chelsea players in the lobby of a hotel, a source in lawyer Luigi Senese's office said.

Calzone's presence in the hotel at the same time as Mourinho and the Chelsea team was just a coincidence, she said.

In one photograph, Calzone is standing next to Mourinho, who is looking off to the side and giving a distracted thumbs up to the camera. In others, he stands in what looks like a hotel hallway with several players.

"According to the informers, Calzone was present following the murder in Naples and he and Pagano boasted that 'a just thing has been done'," the source said.

Though the man who gunned down Amoruso in the bingo hall in front of 300 people had his face covered, the testimony sealed the guilty verdict against Pagano.

"But the photographs prove Calzone could not have been there, therefore the informers are lying," she added.

The receptionist who booked Calzone into the hotel has given testimony at the appeal, which is expected to reach a verdict soon.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Own-goal double derails Everton’s Euro bid

Boss Roberto Martinez insists Merseysiders still have chance to secure Champions league place

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 26 April, 2014, 11:44pm
UPDATED : Saturday, 26 April, 2014, 11:44pm

Agence France-Presse in London

evertonown.jpg

Everton's Seamus Coleman (left) reacts as he scores the team's second own goal in their match against Southampton at St Mary's stadium. Photo: Reuters

Everton suffered a huge blow in their quest for Champions League football after a pair of own-goals saw them lose 2-0 to Southampton at St Mary’s on Saturday.

The loss meant Everton remained a point behind Arsenal, who currently occupy the fourth and final Champions League spot on offer to Premier League clubs, ahead of the Gunners’ match at home to Newcastle on Monday.

But Everton manager Roberto Martinez insisted the Merseysiders, whose final two league games of the season are against title contenders Manchester City and FA Cup finalists Hull, had not given up on a Champions League place.

“Not at all, from our point of view it doesn’t change at all,” Martinez told BT Sport.

“We have had eight wins in 10 games, that’s a phenomenal return and allows us to go into the next two games trying to get maximum points.

“Today was a real setback ... but we’ll be ready for next Saturday,” the Spaniard added.

Everton, whose 2-0 victory over Manchester United last week led to their former manager David Moyes’ sacking by the English champions, were behind as early as the first minute courtesy of a bizarre own goal.

alcarez.jpg

Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard reacts as teammate Antolin Alcarez scores the first own goal in their game at St Mary's Stadium in Southampton. Photo: AFP

Antolin Alacaraz got in front of the player he was marking to somehow head a cross from Southampton’s Rickie Lambert past Toffees goalkeeper Tim Howard.

And the visitors fell further behind on the south coast shortly after the half-hour mark when Seamus Coleman diverted Nathaniel Clyne’s cross beyond Howard.

Victory saw the Saints remain eighth in the table.

Saturday’s other English top-flight fixtures will see Ryan Giggs oversee his first match as interim player-manager of Manchester United when the seventh-placed side face Norwich, just above the relegation zone, at Old Trafford.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

No truth to Louis van Gaal reports, says Manchester United

Club refuse, however, to deny media claims they are in discussions with the Dutch coach known as the 'Iron Tulip' for his strict style

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 27 April, 2014, 12:50am
UPDATED : Sunday, 27 April, 2014, 1:32am

Agence France-Presse in London

9e599b4822cdffda64386a7d530d3907.jpg

Manchester United say there's no truth that Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal has joined the English Premier champions. Photo: AP

Manchester United insisted they have not signed Louis van Gaal as their new manager - but stopped short of outright denying reports in the Netherlands that a three-year deal has been agreed with the Dutch coach.

Popular broadsheet

De Telegraaf, believed to have close links with Van Gaal (pictured), said yesterday that "the national coach [Van Gaal] late last [Friday] night reached a deal with the top British club" to take over as manager after the World Cup.

"The man who's the absolute number one to replace axed coach David Moyes will immediately take up the job when the Dutch eleven is knocked out of the World Cup in Brazil," it said.

Van Gaal, 62, who has been on holiday at his villa in Portugal's Algarve "has been in talks with Ed Woodward, lawyer for club owners the Glazer brothers for a multiyear, multimillion contract", it said, without citing any sources.

But United, who have put veteran player Ryan Giggs in charge until the end of the season, said: "There is nothing to report. We have not signed a new manager. When we have something to report, we will announce it."

Any move for Van Gaal would now appear to run against the wishes of former manager Alex Ferguson, a club director who is still hugely influential.

The Scot - who teed up the appointment of Moyes when he retired and a decision he was a driving force behind - on Friday appeared to put his weight behind Giggs getting the job full-time.

"He [Giggs] is the one man they should go to really," Ferguson said at a charity dinner, according to The Daily Telegraph. "He's got 20-odd years of experience."

The Dutch report also said the deal would include a €100 million (HK$1 billion) fund in transfer fees to beef up United's fortunes.

Van Gaal has a stylish way of football and no-nonsense attitude that has earned him the nickname the "Iron Tulip".

In Premier league matches, Tottenham Hotspur are now just three points adrift in sixth after Danny Rose's bullet header gave them a 1-0 win at Stoke City.

Two stunning goals lit up the relegation battle as Swansea City's Jonjo Shelvey volleyed in from the centre circle in a 4-1 win over Aston Villa, while Fulham were pegged back to 2-2 by Hull City after Ashkan Dejagah scored a fantastic opener.

West Bromwich Albion took a huge step towards safety with a nervy 1-0 win over West Ham United thanks to Saido Berahino's 11th-minute goal.

Additional reporting by Associated Press

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 26 April, 2014, 9:29pm
UPDATED : Saturday, 26 April, 2014, 9:29pm

United fans will use any stick to beat the Glazers

The manner of David Moyes' sacking was said to lack 'class', but too many are blind to what American owners have done

Tim Noonan

unitedbadge.jpg

Manchester United have been criticised for badly handling the sacking of manager David Moyes. Photo: AFP

In case you are wondering, class and dignity are still integral values for a few corporate monoliths and one of those, apparently, is Manchester United.

However, under the ownership, these past nine years, of the Malcolm Glazer family of Palm Beach, Florida, those lofty standards appear to be slipping.

When United mercifully relieved manager David Moyes of his position last week after only 10 months on the job, they did it in a manner that was predictably upsetting to the vice chairman of Manchester United Supporters Trust, Sean Bones.

News of Moyes' sacking was leaked to a few journos a day before it was made official by the club, which happens all the time in sports but apparently not at United.

davidmoyes.jpg

Some say David Moyes' position was doomed from the start. Photo: EPA

"Manchester United has a lot of style and class and we don't do things that way and to me this is typical behaviour of the Glazer family," Bones told the British media.

"We do things with style, class and dignity." United is having by far its worse year in memory and did not qualify for next season's European Champions League for the first time in 20 years.

And while Bones will not absolve Moyes completely of blame, he knows who is truly at fault. "Before they took over we were the No 1 club in the world," he said, "and now we are fourth and that has to change."

Actually, as United are now a mere seventh place in the English Premier League (EPL), fourth best in the world would seem like a heavy dose of wishful thinking right about now.

Make no mistake, though: Manchester United are still the most famous and, arguably, the most popular sports team in the world, which is why it is just as easy to root against them as it is to root for them. It goes with the territory.

alexferguson.jpg

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson lifts the English Premier League trophy in May 2013. Photo: EPA

Under the stewardship of Sir Alex Ferguson for 27 years, they became the gold standard in English football, winning 13 of the past 21 EPL titles. Their cachet internationally became immeasurable.

In 2005, the Glazers, who have owned the NFL's Tampa Bay Buccaneers since 1995, decided they wanted football teams on both sides of the Atlantic and bought United in a dubiously leveraged transaction that saw them assume a big load of debt.

Mind you, there was nothing illegal about the deal and the EPL happily signed off on it as well.

But the Glazers are a dispassionate lot who care little about United's glorious 130-plus year history. And while the club claims to have 657 million fans worldwide, the simple truth is the Glazers bought the fans' beloved team with the sole intention of making money off it.

According to The Wall Street Journal, team revenue has nearly doubled since the Glazers took over thanks to a number of huge corporate licensing deals, and a 2012 public offering of 10 per cent of the club has seen United shares climb 34 per cent to US$18.78, increasing the worth of the franchise to US$3.1 billion, more than twice what the family paid in 2005.

"But look at Manchester City," said Bones, "their owners are pumping money into that team. The Glazers haven't invested in United at the correct times."

Cross-town rivals City have been spending like sailors on shore leave since they were bought by a member of the Abu Dhabi royal family and their bottomless petroleum wealth in 2008.

banner-glazer.jpg

Manchester United fans fly a banner expressing their displeasure of American Malcolm Glazer, who bought the club. Photo: AFP

However, in the eight seasons since the Glazers bought United, the team have won five league championships. In the five seasons since City have been swimming in oil money, they have won one title.

According to United's CEO Ed Woodward, over that time the Glazers backed Ferguson "on every single player purchase he wanted to go after".

For the Glazers, Ferguson was an inherited luxury. He was simply the best manager in the history of professional football and they knew it.

Not surprisingly, they were happy to let Ferguson hand pick his successor, Everton manager and fellow Scot Moyes. But not even for a millisecond did Moyes look right as the manager of Manchester United.

It's a mammoth position that basically demands presence and swagger and Moyes has neither. He was a very good tactician who managed to keep Everton from relegation for 11 years despite a shoestring budget.

But this is his singular accomplishment in England because there are no trophies in his managerial cabinet. Not one.

In hindsight, his hiring was a disaster and the blame for it falls primarily on the sainted Ferguson. But not among the stylish, classy and dignified followers of the club.

For them, it's all down to the greedy Glazers - the interloping Yanks who have, um, ruined this great team.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rodgers accuses Chelsea of parking 'two buses'

396186_heroa.jpg

By Liam Twomey
Apr 27, 2014 5:22:00 PM

Liverpool were unable to break through the Blues' massed defensive ranks and Demba Ba and Willian capitalised on errors to give Jose Mourinho a famous win

Brendan Rodgers accused Jose Mourinho of parking "two buses" after seeing his Liverpool side frustrated by a trademark display of defensive resilience from Chelsea at Anfield.

Demba Ba capitalised on Steven Gerrard's slip on the stroke of half-time to give the visitors the lead, while Fernando Torres raced through to set up Willian for an easy second late on to seal a famous victory.

Much of the match was defined by Liverpool's inability to break through Chelsea's massed defensive ranks, and afterwards Rodgers poured scorn on Mourinho's approach.

"We just couldn't find the breakthrough - there were probably two buses parked today, never mind one," he told reporters.

"Jose has got his result today, credit to [Chelsea]. Its the opposite of how we want to play. It's not difficult to coach, 10 players in the 18-yard box."

Mourinho, however, remained bullish about his team's performance, insisting they deserved to win and challenging the assertion that his tactics were defensive.

"The best team won," he told reporters. "The team that deserved to win won.

"Defensive display? I am confused what the media thinks about defensive displays. When a team defends well you call it defensive."

The Chelsea boss also brushed off criticism that his team looked to waste time and break up Liverpool's attacking rhythm throughout the game.

"Time-wasting? What is that?," he added. "We never spoke about this when we played lots of matches this season. Now we're speaking about it."