• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Bundesliga Season 2013-14 ║

MarcoReus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Klopp dismisses Barca rumours

19 April 2014

441557header.jpg

Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has quashed rumours linking him with a move to Barcelona.

The future of current Barca boss Gerardo Martino has come under the spotlight after the club fell off the pace in the Spanish title race and saw their hopes of winning the UEFA Champions League and Copa del Rey ended by Atletico and Real Madrid respectively.

A recent poll in Spanish newspaper Marca suggested Klopp is the fans' preferred choice to take over at Camp Nou should Martino leave.

However, the German has insisted that a move to Catalonia does not interest him.

Speaking ahead of his side's 4-2 win at home to Mainz on Saturday, the 46-year-old told Dortmund's official website: "No one has to be concerned. We are all still a little in love with this club and how things are going here."

Klopp expressed delight after Dortmund's victory over his former club, which guaranteed qualification for next season's UEFA Champions League.

Milos Jojic and Robert Lewandowski both saw goals cancelled out by Mainz's Shinji Okazaki, before Lukasz Piszczek and Marco Reus found the net to secure three points.

"What my team did was outstanding. Nothing was taken for granted," Klopp said.

"Everything came together - even the sun was shining. My team have beaten their inner demons once and for all.

"They (Mainz) started aggressively, playing at a high tempo. We were strong and scored great goals. We might have even got one or two more.

"The game was still tight for a long time. Still, all is well."

Dortmund's fifth successive Bundesliga win leaves them six points clear of rivals Schalke - who visit Stuttgart on Sunday - ahead of a trip to fourth-placed Leverkusen next week.

MarcoReus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Guardiola thinks differently - Kroos

386051_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
Apr 21, 2014 11:12:00 AM

The Germany international says the flexibility in the side this season is helping his style of play, while David Alaba feels more confident under the Spaniard

Bayern Munich midfielder Toni Kroos has hailed the impact of Pep Guardiola on the side this season, claiming the Spaniard "thinks differently" to all other coaches.

The former Barcelona boss led Bayern to a successful defence of their Bundesliga title in record time in 2013-14, and has guided them to a place in the DFB-Pokal final as well as the last four of the Champions League.

Kroos believes Guardiola's flexible tactics and demands over regaining possession are well suited to his style of play.

"He has different ideas from other coaches," he told Uefa.com. "We have flexible players and I enjoy that because it fits in with my own way of playing. When we lose the ball we're told to retrieve it in the following three to five seconds. That's the case for every player – you have to run the extra yards."

Left-back David Alaba also praised Guardiola for instilling more belief into his performances on the pitch.

"I have gained even more confidence on the ball. I do whatever the coach demands of me. I am involved in more attacking situations down the wing and through the middle," the Austrian defender added.

Bayern take on Real Madrid in the first-leg of their Champions League semi-final on Wednesday.

MarcoReus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'I want to stay here' - Guardiola rules out Manchester United move

385819_heroa.jpg

By Gill Clark
Apr 22, 2014 3:47:00 PM

The former Barcelona coach says he wants to see out his contract at Munich and that he still has a job to do to improve the German champions

Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola says he is keen to stay at the club in response to questions about his future following Manchester United's sacking of David Moyes.

The Spaniard only arrived in Germany in June of last year but has already been linked with a shock switch to Old Trafford after the Red Devils confirmed the Scot's exit on Tuesday.

However, speaking at a press conference ahead of Bayern's Champions League semi-final first leg against Real Madrid the former Barcelona coach says he still has work to do in Munich and does not want to leave.

"I'm at Bayern and I signed for three years. I feel that we can still improve," he told reporters.

"I changed my Catalan culture for German and that wasn't easy. And I need time. I still have a job to do, I'm comfortable here and people respect my work. I want to stay here."

Bayern’s press officer subsequently added: "Tell the people in England, no chance!"

Guardiola joins Jurgen Klopp in ruling himself out of the running after the Borussia Dortmund coach insisted he wanted to stay in Dortmund and that his bond with the club was "not breakable".

Goal understands Louis van Gaal is "very keen" to replace Moyes as Manchester United manager with Ryan Giggs having been appointed as interim coach until a permanent replacement is found.

MarcoReus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Nurnberg sack Verbeek after six months

385311_heroa.jpg

By Jack Davies
Apr 23, 2014 11:50:00 AM

The Dutch coach took over in October but a run of eight defeats in nine games has forced the club's board to relieve him of his duties

Bundesliga strugglers Nurnberg have sacked head coach Gertjan Verbeek after just six months in charge.

The Dutchman, along with assistant Raymond Libregts, has been removed from his position following a run of eight defeats in nine fixtures, which have left Nuremberg five points adrift of guaranteed safety.

Under-23 coach Roger Prinzen will take charge of the squad for their remaining three matches, assisted by Marek Mintal.

Verbeek arrived at Nurnberg in October, taking on his first managerial role outside his native Netherlands, where he had spells in charge of Heracles, Heerenveen, Feyenoord and AZ.

However, he has found life difficult in the German top flight and has picked up just five wins in 22 matches.

"After the recent run of defeats, we have intensively discussed the current, precarious situation several times to see which measures were necessary in order to be victorious in our three remaining games," chairman Martin Bader said in a statement.

"We are confident that this decision will help us find that extra something."

Turning his attention to interim boss Prinzen, Bader added: "Roger knows the team well and has already proven that he can help the team quickly in a serious situation.

"He is a positive trainer who approaches the job very realistically, but also with the necessary optimism."

Nurnberg visit Mainz on Saturday, before hosting Hannover and closing the season at Schalke.

MarcoReus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

We won't pretend we respect BVB, says Rummenigge

361349_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Apr 23, 2014 11:04:00 AM

The Bundesliga champions are ready to accept that their relationship with BVB will be rather frosty for the foreseeable future

Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has stressed that the Bavarians have had enough of the ongoing war of words with Borussia Dortmund and are no longer interested in maintaining a good relationship with their domestic rivals.

The relationship between both Bundesliga giants has turned sour in recent weeks following a dispute over Bayern's €2 million loan to Dortmund when they were being plagued by financial trouble earlier this century, with BVB CEO Hans-Jaochim Watzke stressing that Bayern did not play a role in the re-emergence of Dortmund as they charged eight per cent interest, while also hitting out at Uli Hoeness.

Bayern president Karl Hopfner quickly dismissed Watzke's claims and the German champions have now had enough altogether.

"Bayern Munich are not interested in peace talks and there will be no more dinner meetings," Rummenigge told Sport Bild.

"That means that there will no longer be a dinner with Dortmund directors ahead of our Bundesliga games.

"This approach is probably more genuine than meet and act as if you respect each other.

"If that means we have a frosty relationship with Dortmund, then so be it. We have been in similar situations in the past with Koln and Werder Bremen. We are not here just to cuddle each other."

Bayern and Dortmund will meet in the DFB Pokal final on May 17.

MarcoReus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Kehl out for two weeks with groin injury

22 April 2014

442743header.jpg

Borussia Dortmund will be without captain Sebastian Kehl for two weeks after the midfielder suffered a groin injury.

Kehl will be hopeful of returning for the DFB-Pokal final against Bayern Munich on May 17.

"Borussia Dortmund will be without Sebastian Kehl for the next two games," read a statement on the club's official website.

"The team captain is suffering from a torn muscle in his groin area and is expected to be out for two weeks."

The 34-year-old, who is set to retire at the end of next season, has started just 12 of Dortmund's 31 Bundesliga fixtures during an injury-hit campaign.

Kehl will miss fixtures against Bayer Leverkusen and Hoffenheim.

Dortmund's final league game - at Hertha Berlin - takes place on May 10, a week before their cup showdown with Bayern.

MarcoReus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bremen to focus on developing young players

23 April 2014

443059header.jpg

Werder Bremen can no longer expect to spend millions of euros on transfers, according to general manager Thomas Eichin.

The Bundesliga outfit have struggled for form this season and have rarely made it out of the league's lower reaches, but they almost certainly secured their safety with Saturday's 3-1 win over Hoffenheim.

However, Bremen will go a fourth successive season without European football next term, and Eichin insists there is little room in the budget for big-money transfers.

"We will have to try to incorporate young players and to do more creative transfers," he told Weser Kurier. "We will not be able to make five- or six-million transfers as in the past. We need to develop quality again."

Among the quality already in Bremen's possession is midfielder Eljero Elia, but Eichin has no intention of selling the Dutchman to raise funds.

"Eljero is important to us," he continued. "Eljero is much, much better in my team than not in my team."

And Eichin was equally keen to hang on to centre-back Sebastian Prodl.

"Sebastian Prodl has had a very, very good season," he added. "If we want to play a better role in the future, I need some depth and competition in the squad.

"Because it is better for me to have four strong central defenders in the squad than three."

MarcoReus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hoger returns to Schalke training

23 April 2014

443091header.jpg

Schalke midfielder Marco Hoger completed his first training session since suffering a torn cruciate ligament in his right knee on Wednesday.

The 24-year-old has been a regular for the club since arriving at the Veltins Arena in 2011 but suffered the injury in October and has not featured since.

However, he took part in first-team training this week and, while he remains unlikely to feature this term, Hoger said it was a positive step on his recovery.

"I am glad that I was able to complete a full training session with the boys. Now we have to see how it goes, how the knee reacts and how it feels in the next few days," he told the club's official website.

"It is too early to set the exact (return) date now though.

"We will see everything in the next few weeks (but) I will emerge stronger from this difficult time."

Coach Jens Keller was dealt a blow, however, with defender Kyriakos Papadopoulos suffering another injury in training.

The Greece international has been dogged by knee problems in recent seasons and was forced to leave training with a dislocated shoulder, which the club say will be investigated shortly.

MarcoReus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bundesliga Preview: Nuremberg still fighting for survival

23 April 2014

442889header.jpg

Strugglers Nuremberg will fight to the very end as they aim to avoid relegation from the Bundesliga.

Nuremberg sit second from bottom in the standings after Sunday's 4-1 drubbing at the hands of UEFA Champions League hopefuls Bayer Leverkusen.

After four consecutive defeats, Gertjan Verbeek's men are one point adrift of the relegation play-off spot and five short of safety with three games remaining.

But with a trip to seventh-placed Mainz coming up on Saturday, Argentinean defender Javier Pinola says the club have not consigned themselves to second-tier football next season.

"We don't have many points," said the 31-year-old. "But we don't need to talk about this much.

"We have to seize these last three games, fight until the death and not give up.

"The experienced players must pick up the team again. We shouldn’t let our heads slip."

Nuremberg, who have conceded 13 goals from their past four games, will take heart from the fact that they are unbeaten in two games against Mainz.

Fellow relegation candidates Eintracht Braunschweig and Hamburg are also facing a defining weekend as they look to avoid the drop.

Braunschweig are at the foot of the table after back-to-back defeats left them on 25 points ahead of their clash against Hertha Berlin.

Hamburg occupy the relegation play-off position and are away to high-flying Augsburg, knowing a win would move them within a point of safety if Stuttgart lose to 14-placed Hannover.

In other fixtures across the weekend, second-placed Borussia Dortmund can do arch-rivals Schalke a favour if they beat Bayern Leverkusen.

Schalke are clinging onto the final automatic qualifying spot for next season's UEFA Champions League, four points ahead of Leverkusen.

If Schalke suffer defeat at home to fellow European hopefuls Borussia Monchengladbach, their buffer would be cut to one point on the back of a Leverkusen triumph.

Champions Bayern Munich are at home to Werder Bremen, who are nine points clear of the danger zone having collected seven points from a possible 12.

Elsewhere, Freiburg are on the road against in-form Wolfsburg, while Hoffenheim and Eintracht Frankfurt go head-to-head.

MarcoReus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ribery must move on from Ballon d'Or disappointment, says Kahn

394671_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Apr 25, 2014 9:47:00 AM

The former Germany international is not impressed with the winger's recent form and has urged him to put the team's interest first again

Former Bayern Munich goalkeeper Oliver Kahn has urged Franck Ribery to "move on" from his Ballon d'Or disappointment and focus on helping the club's trophy charge this season.

The France international has been struggling to find his best form ever since Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo beat him to the prestigious individual trophy in January, and was withdrawn after an hour of lacklustre play as Bayern were beaten 1-0 by Ronaldo's side on Wednesday.

Kahn has called on Ribery to put the team's success ahead of his own individual recognition as Pep Guardiola attempts to make history with the European champions.

"It's been ages since the Ballon d'Or. Of course, it is hard for a sensitive player like him not to win the Ballon d'Or after winning the treble, but you should be able to move on at some stage," Kahn writes in his column for Bild.

"I mean, what are we talking about really... The Ballon d'Or is an individual thing. It shouldn't be about the individual Franck Ribery, but it should be about Bayern Munich and what the club can achieve.

"They can achieve something that's never been done before: successfully defending the treble. You will have to put the team's interests ahead of any personal issues, but that's not easy for Ribery.

"The atmosphere is very important to him. You have to communicate a lot with him and give him attention. It's always hard to say what's going on inside him, but he's the one who could make the difference."

Ribery has netted 15 goals in 36 appearances in all competitions for Bayern so far this term.

MarcoReus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Beck extends Hoffenheim stay

24 April 2014

443495header.jpg

Hoffenheim captain Andreas Beck has extended his contract with the Bundesliga outfit until 2017.

The 27-year-old made the switch to the Rhein-Neckar Arena in July 2008 after failing to establish himself as a first-team regular at Stuttgart.

Beck has since gone on to make 180 Bundesliga appearances for Hoffenheim, and was an ever-present in the league this term until last weekend's 3-1 defeat to Werder Bremen.

He will now remain with the German club for at least the next three seasons, and Beck was thrilled to extend his stint.

Speaking to the club's official website, he said: "Hoffenheim was my first option at all times.

"I have experienced a lot and learned a lot - the club has grown in my heart in this time.

"This bond, the confidence placed in me and the positive decisions tipped the scales for Hoffenheim.

"Now I'm glad the issue is settled and we can take the steps on our way to build together."

MarcoReus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Olic signs new Wolfsburg deal

24 April 2014

443503header.jpg

Ivica Olic has ended speculation over his future by penning a new two-year deal with Bundesliga outfit Wolfsburg.

The Croatia striker had been heavily linked with a move to Premier League outfit Stoke City, with manager Mark Hughes openly admitting the Staffordshire club were pursuing a deal.

However, 34-year-old Olic - who would have been a free agent at the end of the season - has opted to extend his stay at the Volkswagen Arena.

He told the club's official website: "I am very happy that I now have clarity about my future and I will continue to play at Wolfsburg.

"We want to attack fully in the Bundesliga and in Europe in the coming season.

"It's gives me an incredible amount of (happiness) to be a part of this team and my family feels very comfortable here."

Head coach Dieter Hecking has spoken of his delight that Olica has committed his future to the club

He said: "I am pleased that Ivi (Olic) will stay with us. You no longer need to waste words about his qualities.

"He has vast experience and is enormously important for our young team, not only from a purely sporting point of view."

Olic moved to Wolfsburg from Bundesliga and European champions Bayern Munich in 2012 and has scored 22 goals in 61 league appearances for the club.

MarcoReus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fifth place a disaster for Kiessling

25 April 2014

443823header.jpg

Bayer Leverkusen striker Stefan Kiessling stressed that failure to secure fourth place in the Bundesliga would be a "disaster" for the club.

Leverkusen enjoyed a strong start to their top-flight campaign, but have slipped away since the start of 2014 and coach Sami Hyypia paid the price when he was dismissed earlier this month.

They go into Saturday's clash with second-place Borussia Dortmund knowing Wolfsburg could leapfrog them into fourth place in the race for a UEFA Champions League place with a win over Freiburg if they fail to pick up three points against Jurgen Klopp's side..

Sascha Lewandowski's men have taken 10 points from a possible 15 in their last five games, but they can expect a stern test from a Dortmund side that have won five in a row in all competitions.

And Kiessling is under no illusions as to how important fourth place would be for Leverkusen.

"Fifth place would be a disaster for us," he told Bild.

"We have to defend fourth place with all our might. Should we end up any higher, it would be a bonus."

MarcoReus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bundesliga Preview: Bayern Munich v Werder Bremen

24 April 2014

443499header.jpg

Werder Bremen's chances of ending a 12-game winless run against Bayern Munich could be boosted when they meet in the Bundesliga on Saturday.

Despite failing to beat Bayern since September 2008, Robin Dutt's men are in decent form and Pep Guardiola likely to rest players ahead of Tuesday's UEFA Champions league semi-final second leg against Real Madrid.

The Bavarians will need to overturn a 1-0 deficit against Real, despite dominating large swathes of their first-leg clash at the Bernabeu.

Bremen have eased any relegation worries in recent weeks by collecting seven points from the last 12 available and they only need to match Hamburg's result at Augsburg this weekend to be mathematically safe.

The Weserstadion club will also have revenge on their mind, having been on the receiving end of a 7-0 thrashing to Bayern on home soil in December.

In the four Bundesliga games since being crowned champions in Berlin, Bayern have seen their 53-match unbeaten league run come to an end following two defeats and a draw before getting back to winning ways at Eintracht Braunschweig last weekend.

Despite Bayern's recent slump, and a failure to convert possession into goals in Spain, Dutt insists he still saw positives from their performance, and is wary of a backlash.

"It surprised me to see Bayern being criticised," Dutt said. "They have played so dominant away from home.

"If you must criticise someone, then it would have been Real."

When asked what kind of Bayern team he was expecting to face, Dutt remained guarded: "It will be difficult for us to anticipate the team line-up of Bayern."

Despite flirting with relegation, Werder have already bettered their points tally from 2012-13.

Midfielder Philipp Bargfrede is expected to feature at the Allianz Arena, despite picking up a knock last weekend. The 25-year-old missed training earlier in the week, but that was only a precaution and he will return on Saturday.

Bargfrede clashed with team-mate Clemens Fritz when picking his injury, but it is the latter who finished worse off and is set to miss two weeks with a knee injury.

Ozkan Yildirim (groin) is unlikely to feature and Levent Aycicek (foot) remains a doubt, but midfielder Felix Kroos has returned from a knee problem and will be available.

Rafinha will be suspended for Bayern after his dismissal against Borussia Dortmund, while Diego Contento (ankle), Xherdan Shaqiri (thigh), Thiago (knee) and Tom Starke (elbow) are all in the treatment room.

MarcoReus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bundesliga Preview: Bayer Leverkusen v Borussia Dortmund

24 April 2014

443509header.jpg

Jurgen Klopp will be keen to switch the focus back to on-field matters when his Borussia Dortmund side visit Bayer Leverkusen on Saturday.

Dortmund head coach Klopp was immediately installed as one of the favourites to take the vacant managerial position at Premier League outfit Manchester United, who dismissed David Moyes just 10 months into a six-year contract on Tuesday.

However, Klopp was quick to rule himself out of the running, expressing his loyalty to his current employers, with whom he signed a new contract until 2018 earlier this season.

The 46-year-old now prepares to take his side to the BayArena for a fixture that pits two sides who promised much, but have failed to challenge in the Bundesliga this season.

Both Dortmund and Leverkusen were earmarked as potential contenders to Bayern Munich's recent domestic dominance, yet both failed to produce a consistent fight as Pep Guardiola's men defended their title in record time.

Dortmund have shown drastic improvement in recent weeks, however, and head to Leverkusen protecting a six-match unbeaten league run, which includes five victories.

Furthermore, Klopp's charges have guaranteed a spot in next season's UEFA Champions League as they can no longer finish lower than third - which yields automatic entry into the group stages.

Indeed, the club can secure second place should they pick up a point and Schalke - who are third - fail to beat Borussia Monchengladbach, while a win for Dortmund would all but secure a runners-up berth regardless due to a superior goal difference over Jens Keller's men.

As well as success in the league, Dortmund face a DFB-Pokal final with rivals Bayern Munich, and midfielder Nuri Sahin is hoping for a positive end to the campaign.

Speaking to the club's official website, he said: "It was important to secure automatic qualification (to the Champions League) as early as possible, and we are happy to have achieved that goal. Now we want to secure second place – and win the cup."

At one stage this season it appeared as though Leverkusen would be the team to claim second, but a poor run of form curtailed those hopes and saw coach Sami Hyypia lose his job following a 2-1 defeat at strugglers Hamburg.

Sascha Lewandowski - who was joint coach with Hyypia last term before returning to work with the youth team - has subsequently taken the reins on a temporary basis and the team have responded with consecutive wins.

Most recently Leverkusen were 4-1 victors at Nuremberg, and they currently occupy the fourth and final Champions League spot.

However, fifth-placed Wolfsburg are just one point adrift with three games remaining and Lewandowski's men have no room for complacency as the season reaches its climax.

Leverkusen are without suspended full-back Giulio Donati, while Dortmund are without captain Sebastian Kehl who was ruled out for two weeks with a groin injury and goalkeeper Roman Weidenfeller could once again miss out with a similar problem.

MarcoReus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bundesliga: Hannover 0 Stuttgart 0

25 April 2014

444119header.jpg

Stuttgart missed a chance to move closer towards Bundesliga survival as they were held to a 0-0 draw by Hannover on Friday.

Huub Stevens' side had the better of the play throughout at the HDI-Arena, but visiting goalkeeper Ron-Robert Zieler was in fine form.

Cacau could have also secured a precious three points for Stuttgart, but wasted a glorious opening after the interval.

The draw leaves Stuttgart five points clear of Hamburg, who occupy the relegation play-off spot and visit Augsburg on Sunday, with three games to play.

Daniel Didavi was lively early on for Stuttgart, firing one effort wide and another too close to Zieler, in a prelude of their match-long battle.

Stuttgart were dominant, and had the ball in the net 16 minutes in as Cacau deflected Ibrahima Traore's effort in, but the former Germany striker was offside and the goal was disallowed.

Hannover were dealt a blow as Didier Ya Konan was forced off injured six minutes before the break, while Cacau wasted a gilt-edged chance eight minutes into the second period after more fine work from Didavi.

Didavi increasingly looked to be Stuttgart's best hope of scoring, Zieler saving the 24-year-old's well-struck free-kick.

The hosts nearly snatched a winner of their own late on, Lars Stindl denied by Sven Ulreich, but the point effectively secures their top-flight status as they sit nine above Hamburg.

MarcoReus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Leverkusen appoint Salzburg boss Schmidt

25 April 2014

443947header.jpg

Bayer Leverkusen have appointed Red Bull Salzburg boss Roger Schmidt as their coach for next season.

Schmidt joins Leverkusen on a two-year contract after enjoying a magnificent season with Salzburg, who clinched the Austrian Bundesliga title with eight games to play and beat Ajax on their way to the last 16 of the UEFA Europa League.

His Salzburg side have been great entertainers this season, plundering an incredible 105 goals with three league games still to play.

And the 47-year-old will now look to experience further success with a Leverkusen side that parted company with Sami Hyypia earlier this month.

"We sounded out the market and very quickly made up our minds to opt for Roger Schmidt," sporting director Rudi Voller told Leverkusen's official website.

"His approach to playing football fits in perfectly with Bayer 04 Leverkusen."

Hyypia was sacked by Leverkusen following a run of just one win in 12 games since the start of 2014, putting their hopes of securing UEFA Champions League football under threat.

Interim boss Sascha Lewandowski, who served as joint coach with Hyypia in the 2012-13 season, has since engineered victories over Hertha Berlin and Nuremberg, keeping them in fourth, just a point ahead of Wolfsburg.

Lewandowski will return to his role as youth-team coach at the culmination of the campaign, with Schmidt assuming the biggest coaching position of his career to date.

Schmidt said: "I'm really looking forward to the new challenge at a great club and am delighted to be able to work in the Bundesliga."

MarcoReus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Time running out for Bundesliga's bottom 3, Bayern Munich focusing Champions League semifinal

Ciaran Fahey / The Associated Press
April 24, 2014 03:43 AM

3833364480-AP91039602580-5-things-to-know-about-the-Bundesliga-weekend.jpg

BERLIN - Three rounds of games remain in the Bundesliga, increasing the pressure on the sides fighting to avoid the drop and those battling for European football next season. League champion Bayern Munich is preoccupied with overturning its narrow loss to Real Madrid in the Champions League semifinal, while time is running out for Eintracht Braunschweig, Nuremberg and Hamburger SV. Stuttgart, which took a big step toward survival last weekend, gets the 32nd round of games underway at Hannover on Friday. Here are five things to know:

THEN THERE WERE THREE

The bottom three appear to be slugging it out among themselves with Stuttgart four points clear of the relegation zone.

Braunschweig (25 points), Nuremberg (26) and Hamburg (27) are eying the relegation playoff spot as their most likely hope for Bundesliga survival. Currently occupied by Hamburg, it pits the 16th-placed club against the third-place finisher in the second division over two games for a place in the 18-team top flight.

Braunschweig has arguably the easiest end-of-season run in, with games against Hertha Berlin, Augsburg and Hoffenheim. Nuremberg, which sacked its coach on Wednesday, plays Mainz, Hannover and Schalke, while Hamburg faces Augsburg, Bayern Munich and Mainz.

NUREMBERG ROLLS DICE

Nuremberg sacked Gertjan Verbeek on Wednesday after a run of eight defeats from nine games and former under-23 coach Roger Prinzen has been charged with saving the side's season.

His task begins Saturday at Mainz.

"Everybody believes we're already relegated but I firmly believe we'll stay up," Prinzen said. "We're only a point off the relegation playoff place. I know what the team is capable of. We want to call on that with all of our might in the remaining games."

Mainz is aiming to defend seventh place, enough to secure European football next season.

LEVERKUSEN LOOKING OVER SHOULDER

Bayer Leverkusen also has its eyes on Europe, with the priority on defending fourth place for the last Champions League spot. Leverkusen has two wins from two games under interim coach Sascha Lewandowski since Sami Hyypia was fired, but faces a tough task Saturday evening against in-form Borussia Dortmund.

"If we miss out on the Champions League we'll be disappointed," said Leverkusen managing director Michael Schade, whose side has only a one-point lead over Wolfsburg.

Second-placed Dortmund is on a five-game winning streak across all competitions including impressive wins over Bayern and Real Madrid.

WOLFSBURG WAITING TO POUNCE

Wolfsburg is guaranteed Europa League football next season but has set its sights on fourth place and a place in the Champions League.

"If Leverkusen slip up then we'll happily accept it," Wolfsburg striker Ivica Olic told the Bundesliga website.

His side hosts Freiburg on Saturday, when both sides will be depleted due to suspension. Wolfsburg is without midfielder Luiz Gustavo, while Freiburg, all but safe for another season, will be without defender Oliver Sorg and midfielder Felix Klaus.

Borussia Moenchengladbach, four points behind Wolfsburg, visits third-placed Schalke on Sunday.

BAYERN EYING MADRID VISIT

On Saturday, Werder Bremen visits a Bayern side distracted by Tuesday's Champions League semifinal home leg against Real Madrid.

Bayern coach Pep Guardiola made no secret of his priorities after his side clinched the Bundesliga in record time, and the Spaniard will surely be preoccupied with overturning the 1-0 deficit against Madrid after Bayern's loss in the Spanish capital on Wednesday.

It was Bayern's third defeat from six games across all competitions, though the dream of repeating last season's unprecedented league-cup-Champions League treble is still alive.

"I'm more optimistic than I was before the away game," Guardiola said referring to Tuesday's upcoming game.

Bremen has more modest priorities. The side needs just one point from its last three games to guarantee Bundesliga survival.

MarcoReus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bundesliga Wrap: Braunschweig, Nuremberg slip closer towards the drop

26 April 2014

444513header.jpg

Eintracht Braunschweig can no longer secure automatic Bundesliga survival following a 2-0 loss at Hertha Berlin on Saturday.

The bottom club are seven points adrift of 15th-placed Stuttgart with two games remaining, which means Braunschweig will have to overhaul Nuremberg and Hamburg to secure a play-off spot in order to have any chance of avoiding an immediate return to the second tier.

John Brooks put Hertha in front in the 61st minute at the Olympiastadion, before Tunisia forward Sami Allagui scored his 10th goal of the season to confirm victory for the hosts.

Nuremberg are just a point further ahead after suffering an away defeat to Mainz by the same scoreline, Shinji Okazaki and Christoph Moritz netting as Thomas Tuchel's men sealed a win that keeps hopes of a UEFA Europa League berth intact.

At the other end of the table Bayer Leverkusen failed to capitalise on a slip up from Wolfsburg in the race for the final UEFA Champions League spot.

An 83rd minute equaliser from Marco Terrazzino earned Freiburg a 2-2 draw at Wolfsburg, who could not claim all three points despite a double from midfielder Ivan Perisic.

But fourth-placed Leverkusen missed the chance to take advantage and open up three-point gap to Wolfsburg as they were held to a 2-2 stalemate by Borussia Dortmund.

Leverkusen twice took the lead through Lars Bender and Gonzalo Castro, but a strike from Oliver Kirch and a Marco Reus penalty sealed a share of the spoils for Dortmund.

Champions Bayern Munich prepared for the second leg of their Champions League semi-final against Real Madrid with a comprehensive 5-2 triumph over Werder Bremen.

Werder took a surprise lead in the 10th minute as Theodor Gebre Selassie finished off a fine counter-attack, only for Franck Ribery to craft the perfect response to questions about his form 10 minutes later with an equaliser.

However, the visitors regained the lead nine minutes before the break as Franco Di Santo played in Aaron Hunt to slot home.

But Bayern found another gear in the second period to put the game beyond doubt, a double from former Werder striker Claudio Pizarro putting the hosts ahead before Bastian Schweinsteiger and Arjen Robben made sure of the points.

Elsewhere, Hoffenheim and Eintracht Frankfurt played out a 0-0 draw.

MarcoReus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bundesliga Wrap: Hamburg lose again, Schalke beaten at home

27 April 2014

444965header.jpg

Hamburg remain in deep trouble near the foot of the Bundesliga after suffering a 3-1 defeat at Augsburg on Sunday.

Mirko Slomka's men are five points adrift of fourth-bottom Stuttgart with two games of the season remaining and face a battle to hold on to 16th spot, which would leave them facing a relegation play-off.

The bottom two, Eintracht Braunschweig and Nuremberg, are both within striking distance of Hamburg, who delivered a dismal first-half display in their latest outing.

Hosts Augsburg moved three goals ahead inside 42 minutes courtesy of Halil Altintop's brace and a goal from Andre Hahn.

Heiko Westermann pulled one back before the break, but Hamburg remain in danger of losing their Bundesliga status for the first time.

In Sunday's other match, Schalke tasted defeat at home in the league for the first time in 2014.

Patrick Herrmann grabbed the only goal 10 minutes before half-time as Borussia Monchengladbach secured a 1-0 win in Gelsenkirchen.

Schalke are three points clear of fourth-placed Bayer Leverkusen in the race for automatic UEFA Champions League qualification.