• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

iPhones aren't that overpriced afterall...

Extremist

Alfrescian
Loyal
935893_549926898376629_639894847_n.jpg

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
The first mobile phone i had was the size of an office briefcase and cost around DM 5000, which at that time was around SGD 4800. That was in 1995. Was a Motorola and looked similar to this:

Technik-von-gestern-Autotelefon-C-Netz-559x745-2b5054d05b3ee5bf.jpg

Using the C-Netz analogue system network, coverage was like a swiss cheese.

Attachments

• Technik-von-gestern-Autotelefon-C-Netz-559x745-2b5054d05b3ee5bf.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,007
Last edited:

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal
The first mobile phone i had was the size of an office briefcase and cost around DM 5000, which at that time was around SGD 4800. That was in 1995. Was a Motorola and looked similar to this:

Using the C-Netz analogue system network, coverage was like a swiss cheese.
and which cuntry's tax money did you use to pay for it, uncle?

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i use just 3 handphones and bought only 1 handphone in my entire life. don't know why some peoples kept changing handphones so often ?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i use just 3 handphones and bought only 1 handphone in my entire life. don't know why some peoples kept changing handphones so often ?

When I 1st started carrying a handphone I would lose them until I got into the habit of hanging on to them.:o

I've owned my current handphone for 8 years. Plan to get the soon to be released cheaper iPhone because I need a backup.

leetahbah

Alfrescian
Loyal
If they don't drop their price, they will lose even more to Android... not to mention challenges from Windows Phone too..

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There will always be a market for more expensive iPhones. However cheaper iPhones will attract customers like me who want quality but are price sensitive. I don't really need a "smartphone" just a good phone.

Devil Within

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's the beauty of free market capitalism. Things get cheaper and better. If gov were to monopolised mobile phone market, you will be paying even more for outdated technology mobile phones.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's the beauty of free market capitalism. Things get cheaper and better. If gov were to monopolised mobile phone market, you will be paying even more for outdated technology mobile phones.

That's evolution and technology and economies of scale. Cable internet was expensive when it first came out. Same for CD writers.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

In Spore the PAP HAS monopolized housing & people are getting all sorts of upgrades like elevators :biggrin:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
owned my current handphone for 8 years. Plan to get the soon to be released cheaper iPhone because I need a backup.
That's quite a record, nowadays mobile machiam consumables (with built-in obsolescence). On your 8 year museum piece, surely constraint is to get replacment battery?

yellowarse said:
My first cellphone – 1995
That Motorola Startac piece was the in-thing, my 2nd (after handme down Eriksson popular then). And recall some used to wear on their belt.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1995? In Germany?
Mobile phones already in Singapore in 1989.
I got mine first one in 1991....a princely sum in excess of $2.5k++....phones were expensive then but never over Sgd $4800.....
Never seen a live briefcase phone though heard of them....before mobile phones....atas people had car phones....those have nots will just stick a phone antenna on the boot.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
.. On your 8 year museum piece, surely constraint is to get replacment battery?...

I can still get batteries for my Sony Ericson phone because many of the newer models use the same battery. I'll really miss the phone when it's time to replace it because it's a small & reliable phone. I also don't have to worry about thieves targeting me because of my phone:smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1995? In Germany?
Mobile phones already in Singapore in 1989.
I got mine first one in 1991....a princely sum in excess of $2.5k++....phones were expensive then but never over Sgd $4800.....
Never seen a live briefcase phone though heard of them....before mobile phones....atas people had car phones....those have nots will just stick a phone antenna on the boot.

I remember that in the 90's there were cheaper handphones that could only call out but not receive calls.

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's quite a record, nowadays mobile machiam consumables (with built-in obsolescence). On your 8 year museum piece, surely constraint is to get replacment battery?

That Motorola Startac piece was the in-thing, my 2nd (after handme down Eriksson popular then). And recall some used to wear on their belt.

The startac, microtac and its variation models had a very good and long run.
Back then you buy from gwee mobile and its rival wywy group....wondered what happened to them.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I remember that in the 90's there were cheaper handphones that could only call out but not receive calls.

Zone phones. Or cell phones.
Only when you in the call zones then got signal.
Must use together with pagers. Save the hassle of looking for public phones.