• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Greek Islands Paradise....

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The most beautiful island in the world - Santorini,Greece. If you can afford it, this is one place you should not miss in your life time...a beautiful island with beautiful people ....rising from the depths of a caldera of a massive volcano...it is a geological masterpiece...a tourist's paradise!!! Santorini!!!

971985_10201014164827472_509326179_n.jpg

945828_10201014165347485_1544645652_n.jpg

537171_10201014165787496_1005756579_n.jpg

944400_10201014165867498_278691328_n.jpg

Santorini (Greek: Σαντορίνη, pronounced [sadoˈrini]), classically Thera /ˈθɪrə/, and officially Thira (Greek: Θήρα [ˈθira]), is an island in the southern Aegean Sea, about 200 km (120 mi) southeast from Greece's mainland. It is the largest island of a small, circular archipelago which bears the same name and is the remnant of a volcanic caldera. It forms the southernmost member of the Cyclades group of islands, with an area of approximately 73 km2 (28 sq mi) and a 2011 census population of 15,550. The municipality of Santorini comprises the inhabited islands of Santorini and Therasia and the uninhabited islands of Nea Kameni, Palaia Kameni, Aspronisi, and Christiana. The total land area is 90.623 km2 (34.990 sq mi). Santorini is part of the Thira regional unit.[2]

Santorini is essentially what remains after an enormous volcanic explosion that destroyed the earliest settlements on a formerly single island, and created the current geological caldera. A giant central, rectangular lagoon, which measures about 12 by 7 km (7.5 by 4.3 mi), is surrounded by 300 m (980 ft) high, steep cliffs on three sides. The main island slopes downward to the Aegean Sea. On the fourth side, the lagoon is separated from the sea by another much smaller island called Therasia; the lagoon is connected to the sea in two places, in the northwest and southwest. The depth of the caldera, at 400m, makes it possible for all but the largest ships to anchor anywhere in the protected bay; there is also a newly built marina at Vlychada, on the southwestern coast. The island's principal port is Athinias. The capital, Fira, clings to the top of the cliff looking down on the lagoon. The volcanic rocks present from the prior eruptions feature olivine and have a small presence of hornblende.[3]

Last edited:

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
images

P1130617.JPG

top_04.jpg

Santorini is one of the most ruggedly beautiful and dramatic places on earth. Santorini, also known as Thira, is the southern most of the Cyclades islands and one of the most popular destinations in all of Greece, for good reason.

The magical island of Santorini is truly one of Greece's "must-sees", right along with the Acropolis. Santorini's wild majesty created out of the apocalyptic event
associated with mythical Atlantis, is unforgettable.

The sunsets, seen while sipping local wine high atop the sheer cliffs is very romantic. Santorini is a crescent shape surrounding the black volcanic islands lying in the bay. What was once the island of Thira sank to the bottom of the caldera in the apocalyptic explosion in 1450 BC. The lagoon-like caldera measures 32 square miles and is 300 to 400 metres deep. In the center are Palea Kameni and Nea Kameni.

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
14441786-beautiful-view-of-santorini-island-view-of-ocean-caldera-with-churches.jpg

http://holidayforce.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/santorini-island-caldera.jpg[img]

[QUOTE]It is the most active volcanic centre in the South Aegean Volcanic Arc, though what remains today is chiefly a water-filled caldera. The volcanic arc is approximately 500 km (310 mi) long and 20 to 40 km (12 to 25 mi) wide. The region first became volcanically active around 3–4 million years ago, though volcanism on Thera began around 2 million years ago with the extrusion of dacitic lavas from vents around the Akrotiri.

The island is the site of one of the largest volcanic eruptions in recorded history: the Minoan eruption (sometimes called the Thera eruption), which occurred some 3600 years ago at the height of the Minoan civilization. The eruption left a large caldera surrounded by volcanic ash deposits hundreds of metres deep and may have led indirectly to the collapse of the Minoan civilization on the island of Crete, 110 km (68 mi) to the south, through a gigantic tsunami. Another popular theory holds that the Thera eruption is the source of the legend of Atlantis.[4][/QUOTE]

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
greece1.jpg

This Greek island is known for its picturesque, whitewashed villages that scale the steep cliffs overlooking the Aegean.

top-10-islands-santorini.jpg

oia-santorini-greece-big.jpg

Last edited:

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Another island which you should not miss...Myoconos Greece...a paradise and a wonderful holiday resort....simply beautiful with very beautiful islanders...

Mykonos.jpg

images

mykonos_copy.jpg

images

Mykonos (/ˈmɪkəˌnɒs/, /ˈmɪkəˌnoʊs/;[1] Greek: Μύκονος [ˈmikonos]) is a Greek island, part of the Cyclades, lying between Tinos, Syros, Paros and Naxos. The island spans an area of 85.5 km2 (33 sq mi) and rises to an elevation of 341 m (1,119 ft) at its highest point. There are 10,134 inhabitants (2011 census) most of whom live in the largest town, Mykonos, which lies on the west coast. The town is also known as Chora (i.e. the Town in Greek, following the common practice in Greece when the name of the island itself is the same as the name of the principal town).

Tourism is a major industry, and Mykonos is particularly renowned for its cosmopolitan nightlife; many international celebrities visit the island every summer

Last edited:

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Greece has a large number of islands, with estimates ranging from somewhere around 1,200 to 6,000,depending on the minimum size to take into account. The number of inhabited islands is variously cited as between 166 and 227.

The largest Greek island by area is Crete, located at the southern edge of the Aegean Sea. The second largest island is Euboea, which is separated from the mainland by the 60m-wide Euripus Strait, and is administered as part of the Central Greece region. After the third and fourth largest Greek Islands, Lesbos and Rhodes, the rest of the islands are two-thirds of the area of Rhodes, or smaller.

The Greek islands are traditionally grouped into the following clusters: The Argo-Saronic Islands in the Saronic gulf near Athens, the Cyclades, a large but dense collection occupying the central part of the Aegean Sea, the North Aegean islands, a loose grouping off the west coast of Turkey, the Dodecanese, another loose collection in the southeast between Crete and Turkey, the Sporades, a small tight group off the coast of Euboea, and the Ionian Islands, located to the west of the mainland in the Ionian Sea (one of these islands, Kythira, is off the southern tip of the Peloponnese Peninsula and part of the Attica region, but still considered part of the Ionian Islands, mainly because of historical reasons). There are also many islands, islets and rocks that surround the coast of Crete.

The Island Of Crete is a paradise itself.....

greece_beaches_crete.jpg

crete.jpg

crete-greece-agios.jpg

Last edited:

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
13DGreekIslanderCrete11-l.gif

the best way is to join a local cruise or just fly to the islands...it is a beautiful experience....

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Exciting and beautiful Rhodes Island...

150251821.qEa1DOyS.jpg

rhodes.jpg

rhodes1.jpg

symi-island-rhodes-greece1.jpg

...another beautiful island with beautiful and friendly people....

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
TOP TEN GREEK ISLANDS...

mykonos.jpg

People will tell you that the Greek islands are not what they were, but they've been saying that for a long time. In 1878, Edward Lear complained bitterly that Paleokastritsa in Corfu had been overrun by badly behaved English tourists, and Odysseus probably disapproved of all the new villas put up in his absence by the suitors. There are more than 150 inhabited Greek islands and fewer than 30 ever get seriously overcrowded. (Has anyone ever been to Agios Efstratos?) Even the busiest islands have places where you can escape the crowds, and sometimes the crowds can be fun. Here's a selection in no particular order, some well known, some not.

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
1. Best neoclassical harbour: Symi

RobertLandauSimiI.jpg

2. Best for parties: Mykonos

3. Best view: Santorini

4. Best for food: Anywhere and nowhere..

5. Best uninhabited island: Farmakonisi

6. Best for wildlife: Tilos

7. Best classical site: Nas, Icaria

8. Best for holiday reading: Corfu

9. Best new age holiday: Skyros

10. Best undiscovered island: Gavdos

pick your choice. my choice is Mykonos and santorini > unbeatable
for very beautiful Greek islanders > Rhode Island and Crete
for seafood ...Mykonos is my choice

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The beautiful island of Corfu....awe-inspiring paradise.

4539666182.jpg

Yacht-Charter-greece-corfu-island-fortress.jpg

images

corfu7(1).jpg

beautiful island - another great destination for tourists.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mykonos is getting very expensive, and Santorini is becoming a Chinese takeaway.

Other than Crete, these are my fav.

Greece reminds me of my adopted home, PERTH, Australia. I grow the same plants, the weather, the flora and landscape. Arid

PATMOS

As with many of the Greek islands, Patmos offers beautiful panoramic views from the high cliffs surrounding the bay.
6a0120a92e343a970b014e8c527b97970d-800wi

Windmills. Recently restored when I was there. Can go inside. Free.
flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg

One of the most popular is a visit to the Cave of St. John.
6a0120a92e343a970b0153926e0255970b-250wi

This famous monastery was the Byzantine Empire's most significant contribution to the island
6a0120a92e343a970b0153925edddf970b-800wi

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another fav of mine is next to Turkey, but belong to Greece

CHIOS

ta_milarakia_main.jpg

casa-t%C3%ADpica-de-mesta.jpg

People visit the Pyrgi village for the wall deco
8211761.0a2685fc.jpg

_9DP7457%20copy.jpg

Volissos village claimed to be one of the possible birthplaces of the famous poet Homer. According to the famous historian Herodotus, in one of his chapters refers that Homer lived and wrote his marvelous epics in this village.
_9DP7409%20copy.jpg

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From Chios comes mastic - I like it in chocolate.
Yes edible.
Even bought back to Perth, the Oz famous customs snoopy dog kept very quiet. :biggrin:

mastic-slide.jpg

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nice sharing about the Greek attractions now i am planning to visit this.you have a great information about the Greek points of interests.
1.Cave of St. John
2.Volissos village
3.Pyrgi village
Would you like further guide me about the cave and village i must visit this in the summer vacation.I am a little confused to move there because i have no knowledge about it. i am free in this vacation and have a plan to visit those place that i have not been seen before.

For Chios, you can fly in or take a ferry. I took an overnight ferry and arrived early. Street lights were on when I dock. If you pay for a bed in the ferry, bring up an overnight bag and leave your main lugguge downstairs. I booked a twin beds.
In Greek islands, I use taxi or KTEL buses to get around. Sometimes, I get transport from my bnb host. From Chios, the bus have special intercity packages to get you to the popular places.

Tranquillity and beauty of Volissos is what people come for. Book a villa or apartment on a hall overlooking the blue sea.

The feeling is different from staying in a cliff side Santorini resort.

Patmos.
map1.jpg

There is a nice whole day walk from the windmills into the residential area (rich men summer villas) to the monastery then to the grotto. The Chora or Horas area. I had a lift from my host.

The residential area also lead to souvenir shops to the own square. The souvenirs here are cheaper than in town.

The views from Choras is breath taking. Skala to Choras is uphill winding road.

Skala is the main town. There are nice cafes and restaurants here.

The grotto or cave of st John is on the winding road down - halfway.

Dun worry, every place is sign posted.

Be prepared to go down many steps to the grotto. But middle-aged catholic prilgrims can make it, so it should be fine.

The st john monastery is best left for anothr day for the less fit. But it is worth going.

After a long wait, nice to sit alfresco in an old cafe in Skala overlooking the harbour.

Last edited: