• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

RTS rapid transit system linking Johor and Singapore (MASTEEL)

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have no idea what the minister is saying. Is he suggesting that MY side is studying whether building the terminus at Bukit Chagar will worsen the congestion at causeway (which is actually true) during the building phase and after the terminus is built?

It's obvious to see that the jam will worsen during the building phase. After the terminus is built, we may also see a lot of indiscriminate parking around bukit chagar, which will hinder the causeway traffic. For minimal impact to current congestion, the ideal solution is to built 1 at Tanjong Puteri first, followed by another stop at Bukit Chagar but it is going to be complicated....

I suggest they should think out of the box and locate it to further north. But again hor, it will affect my stock counter. :p tcss.

BTW, why do they need to build so fast?????????...:rolleyes: i'll wait wait and wait..:biggrin:

Last edited:

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
We know the financing of the HSR had been offered by China and Japan. So it is not a money problem. But the money for RTS?
Yes, you are right. It is a question of national level project versus state level.

Yes, HSR is a priority given the need to better connect KL and SG, but we have seen with RTS project how the terminus selection can take a long time (lots of money involved). So if SG announces the exact location of HSR station at JE as expected on or around 5 May 2015, how long will it take to announce the exact locations of the 7 stations in MY?

Going by the RTS experience, it's going to take a long time to decide the exact sites (with even more money involved this time).

Vohkster

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
We know the financing of the HSR had been offered by China and Japan. So it is not a money problem. But the money for RTS?
Yes, you are right. It is a question of national level project versus state level.

So does this mean federal govt has no say in RTS? Then why the delay lah? I thought that day he came out n say Johor govt very rich?!he got a few china buddies right? Just pass the hat around.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
So does this mean federal govt has no say in RTS? Then why the delay lah? I thought that day he came out n say Johor govt very rich?!he got a few china buddies right? Just pass the hat around.

Infrastructure development is under the jurisdiction of the Federal Government. It is a National Government to Foreign Government project.
Johor State government cannot get involved. They can only offer inputs but not approvals. Got money is only part of the equation.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suggest they should think out of the box and locate it to further north. But again hor, it will affect my stock counter. :p tcss.

BTW, why do they need to build so fast?????????...:rolleyes: i'll wait wait and wait..:biggrin:

Money not spent is just figures. There's no realised value to anybody. One day, that somebody konk already, it is still remain a figure. What the difference between trillions and hundreds? That's why must build. Work done equals to money dispensed and that will become accumulated wealth to people like you and me... :smile:

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have no idea what the minister is saying. Is he suggesting that MY side is studying whether building the terminus at Bukit Chagar will worsen the congestion at causeway (which is actually true) during the building phase and after the terminus is built?

It's obvious to see that the jam will worsen during the building phase. After the terminus is built, we may also see a lot of indiscriminate parking around bukit chagar, which will hinder the causeway traffic. For minimal impact to current congestion, the ideal solution is to built 1 at Tanjong Puteri first, followed by another stop at Bukit Chagar but it is going to be complicated....

Actually what he meant was, I think, the congestion that may occur within the immediately perimeter of the RTS station.
You see, they shd make sure that with the effectiveness of RTS, the system needs to have effective connectivity.
Imagine getting out of the station and there no other public transportation available or insufficient to disperse the commuters.
Or worse, take only 10 mins to get from Woodlands to JB but need to wait over 30 mins for buses.
That's why the ultimate location of the station is important where the public transport can integrate to provide seamless connectivity

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually what he meant was, I think, the congestion that may occur within the immediately perimeter of the RTS station.
You see, they shd make sure that with the effectiveness of RTS, the system needs to have effective connectivity.
Imagine getting out of the station and there no other public transportation available or insufficient to disperse the commuters.
Or worse, take only 10 mins to get from Woodlands to JB but need to wait over 30 mins for buses.
That's why the ultimate location of the station is important where the public transport can integrate to provide seamless connectivity

Totally agreed.
I keep telling people that infrastructure is very important yet thse people just do not want to know. You can build many super nice condos with a next door a RTS terminal yet the roads, car parks, drainage, transport,etc just cannot take it. With the present road system in JB, it would be a real challenge. So the eventual cost of RTS is not just the railroad or the terminal itself but encompass the entire support infrastructure system. That means a lot of money and time to plan.
It is just like having a bridge is not good enough, you need the link roads, flyovers and ramps to connect to this bridge and you need to acquire land to build them.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Totally agreed.
I keep telling people that infrastructure is very important yet thse people just do not want to know. You can build many super nice condos with a next door a RTS terminal yet the roads, car parks, drainage, transport,etc just cannot take it. With the present road system in JB, it would be a real challenge. So the eventual cost of RTS is not just the railroad or the terminal itself but encompass the entire support infrastructure system. That means a lot of money and time to plan.
It is just like having a bridge is not good enough, you need the link roads, flyovers and ramps to connect to this bridge and you need to acquire land to build them.

Yup, the future RTS should be similar to, say, Woodlands MRT station where the trains run above or the Serangoon Station where the trains run underground.
But most importantly, the future station should be served by good public buses with a bus terminus (like the 2 mentioned stations), sufficient taxi stands, public car parks etc. and all these need plenty of space to build.
Also, while boarding off this huge construction site, traffic in town will be badly affected for at least 4 to 5 years.
Look at the current widening of the canal in JB central, road lanes were closed and traffic condition was chaotic for months now already and this is only a minor project!

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2015/04/04/Johor-ban-on-big-vehicles-causeway/

Looks like they finally have a bit of idea how to route the RTS to bukit changar. First step is to ban heavy vehicles On causeway to 'make way for the construction of RTS'.

The authorities should designate all heavy good vehicles to the 2nd Link long time ago, cos the 2nd Link is under utilised most times.
The daily super long queue of heavy vehicles carrying goods into SG on the Causeway shouldn't be there in the first place.
After all the goods coming from other part of Malaysia need not go through JB town to the Causeway, they should be using the 2nd Link instead, avoiding JB city altogether.
Similarly, heavy vehicles carrying good from SG should also use the 2nd link to avoid jamming up the old Woodlands Road up to the Causeway unnecessarily, it is really unproductive for the drivers having to wait for many hours, just idling.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
The authorities should designate all heavy good vehicles to the 2nd Link long time ago, cos the 2nd Link is under utilised most times.
The daily super long queue of heavy vehicles carrying goods into SG on the Causeway shouldn't be there in the first place.
After all the goods coming from other part of Malaysia need not go through JB town to the Causeway, they should be using the 2nd Link instead, avoiding JB city altogether.
Similarly, heavy vehicles carrying good from SG should also use the 2nd link to avoid jamming up the old Woodlands Road up to the Causeway unnecessarily, it is really unproductive for the drivers having to wait for many hours, just idling.

2nd link, AYE and PIE will be badly jammed up, and they already are during peak hours. Cost of imported goods from Malaysia will also go up.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
See how chaotic the traffic condition in KL itself, the capital city where all the cheap planners (oops, I mean chief planners) and engineers are based.
So how can they ever do anything right for a smaller city like JB where major decisions and approvals still comes from the Federal?
Its so laughable when you drive southwards on the Skudai Highway, the road simply narrow down from 4 lanes to 2 lanes near Taman Tasik causing a mega bottleneck during morning peak hours and there are no signs of further road widening there.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Deleted my initial post as I mistook RTS as HSR.

Yes it's a common confusion. Khaw had stated previously that RTS should help to develop Northern region, eg Woodlands, while HSR should help to develop Western region, eg Jurong East.

Personally, it's a good plan on paper, with Changi Airport (esp projects like Jewel) and Tampines anchoring the Eastern region, while RTS and HSR will anchor Woodlands and Jurong East. RTS will draw in talents from Johor, while HSR will draw in talents from KL and Seremban.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2015/04/04/Johor-ban-on-big-vehicles-causeway/

Looks like they finally have a bit of idea how to route the RTS to bukit changar. First step is to ban heavy vehicles On causeway to 'make way for the construction of RTS'.

Dualat Tuanku! Finally, it takes someone decisive like the Sultan to get things moving. It's to be expected, since he has more vested interest in RTS than HSR, as he has more property developments in JB CBD. Somemore the cost of using HSR to get to Nusajaya or Gerbang is expected to be too high for daily commuters. Does anyone fancy paying RM30 for a 1-way trip to Jurong East?

2nd link will be v jammed though, if all the heavy lorries are routed over, and PG highway will get worse with more lorries going to 2nd link from Pasir Gudang.

Bruceli

Alfrescian
Loyal
cab fare from larkin to rochor per person (on 3 person sharing basis, which is very common) is already RM27.

RM30 for 1 way trip via HSR to Jurong east should be very attractive then :smile:

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dualat Tuanku! Finally, it takes someone decisive like the Sultan to get things moving. It's to be expected, since he has more vested interest in RTS than HSR, as he has more property developments in JB CBD. Somemore the cost of using HSR to get to Nusajaya or Gerbang is expected to be too high for daily commuters. Does anyone fancy paying RM30 for a 1-way trip to Jurong East?

2nd link will be v jammed though, if all the heavy lorries are routed over, and PG highway will get worse with more lorries going to 2nd link from Pasir Gudang.

Nope, his stake is much higher at Forest City at 2nd link. The heavy vehicles thingy is still based on talking, no confirmation.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nope, his stake is much higher at Forest City at 2nd link. The heavy vehicles thingy is still based on talking, no confirmation.

Will Forest City benefit from HSR though? Seem to be much more straight forward for would-be residents to drive into SG, rather than to detour to Gerbang Nusajaya, especially considering the expected low frequency of HSR and its high ticket cost.

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will Forest City benefit from HSR though? Seem to be much more straight forward for would-be residents to drive into SG, rather than to detour to Gerbang Nusajaya, especially considering the expected low frequency of HSR and its high ticket cost.

The HSR will give a huge boost to Nusajaya which will boost the ppty price of Forest City. KL people can come down to stay at Nusajaya and commute back to KL during weekend. The Chinese and especially the sultan must have done their calculation to risk so much money. The sultan is risking his own hard cash .

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
The HSR will give a huge boost to Nusajaya which will boost the ppty price of Forest City. KL people can come down to stay at Nusajaya and commute back to KL during weekend. The Chinese and especially the sultan must have done their calculation to risk so much money. The sultan is risking his own hard cash .

Unlike the HSR in other countries, the HSR link the cities within the same country like in China, Japan, Taiwan, Europe etc when one can move and work "freely" between cities.
This one is between 2 countries where one cannot work in the other country freely, so its a marked difference.
If you had read some of the interview excerpts, His Royal Highness always seems to refer the Federal people as "outsiders" or "other people" and are extremely bothersome so it shows a somewhat frosty relationship.
Then if indeed the Forest City is aiming to be developed into an IR, then it may not proceed as smoothly as some people wanted.