• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

RTS rapid transit system linking Johor and Singapore (MASTEEL)

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
actually RTS not even confirmed at Bt Chagar...

Should be quite confirmed liao. The one with the biggest vested interest, R&F, are advertising themselves as "being 5 mins to RTS". I see no other parties with the vested interest to sway it elsewhere. Just a matter of confirming the alignment, and the detailed design phase can commence, followed by construction tender.

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal
My sense is that it's a low priority for the govts of both sides.

For Sg, the priorities are housing prices, domestic transport, foreign worker congestion, cpf etc. The PAP is already gearing up for next GE. The RTS will only get higher priority if a significantly larger number of voters see travel to Johor as an important quality of life marker (eg. as a means to a quick respite from the stress of Sg) and demand the govt provide better infrastructure to resolve the border congestion in the interest of a better work-life balance. I believe the number of S'poreans in this group is either not large enough to be heard, or they are not making enough noise to be heard.

For My, it's more complicated as it involves the federal and state govts, but more importanly the politics. The My govt (especially after the erosion of support in the last GE) is currently focussed on maintaining or even increasing support among a certain target group of people who comprise its traditional support base (you should know who they are), and this group does not from my observations form the larger group of users of the broder crossings with Sg and may instead even oppose closer cooperation with Sg on arguments that their customary rights may be overrun by foreigners etc etc etc...

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was thinking that eventually, they would just agree on a light rail shuttle service (with the maximum carriages that the infrastructure can accommodate) between Woodlands and JB Sentral at a frequency of not more than 15 minutes interval. The building and operating costs will be shared equally by both countries and fare collections will be earned by the country of the respective departing stations. Everybody wins in this arrangement.

austin_hts

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am still hopeful for an annoucement on the confirmation of locations by end year. Following this will be another year of study to confirm on tunnel, land or bridge.

Both gov must have spent a total of close to S$100 mil already on various studies in the last 2-3 years on the RTS.

I was thinking that eventually, they would just agree on a light rail shuttle service (with the maximum carriages that the infrastructure can accommodate) between Woodlands and JB Sentral at a frequency of not more than 15 minutes interval. The building and operating costs will be shared equally by both countries and fare collections will be earned by the country of the respective departing stations. Everybody wins in this arrangement.

Zelphon

Alfrescian
Loyal
RTS .. HSR are projects that will definitely go ahead...
Because it is bilateral co-operations..
For 2 government to agree on something is already very hard... Remember Dr M's crooked bridge incident?

So it is just a matter of time..

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal

The shuttle service between Woodlands and JB Central is actually existing!!!
All they need to do is just a facelift to the facilities and improvement to the current service but the authorities just failed to capitalize on it.

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
It has been quiet for so long, so I thought maybe I bump it up.
After looking at the foreign reserves of msia, I have not doubt they have the money, it's whether they want to use it for the rts or not. Their reserve is about usd133billion, just about half of sg. Among the highest.
I think their preference is for someone else like R&F to pay for it, and get paid for it. Just like they get paid for getting R&F and CG to reclaim land and many years later still get the land back. How smart is that?

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
A strong reserve is needed to deter speculators' attack. The reclaimed plots are freehold, unless MY government forcefully takes them back.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
A strong reserve is needed to deter speculators' attack. The reclaimed plots are freehold, unless MY government forcefully takes them back.

The RM was already pegged to the USD since the last crisis so it is somewhat "sheltered"' from speculators attack unless some mad people decided to attack the USD.
The RM is also not traded outside of MY.
As for the reclaimed land, take what back?
Someone had already happily pocketed Billions from the sales of land and sea to the developer.

OracleMasia

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://khaliladis.wordpress.com/2015/01/23/forging-stronger-links/

[h=1]Forging stronger links[/h]Posted on January 23, 2015
By Khalil Adis
Despite previous setbacks, the planned Woodlands-Johor Bahru causeway is expected to reignite the local residential market

Developers and analysts are optimistic that the proposed Rapid Transit System (RTS)-Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) linking Malaysia’s Johor Bahru (JB) to Woodlands, Singapore will have a positive impact on property values, enhance liveability around the transport hubs and reduce the notorious congestion along the Woodlands-Johor causeway.
“The opening of any MRT station will have a 5 to 10 percent value increase over the longer term,” said Donald Han, managing director of property firm Chesterton Singapore.
“The lure of being just a doorstep or an MRT station away from Johor Bahru is also a tremendous plus, without having to negotiate perpetual causeway traffic jams especially on weekends.”
He added that the Woodlands North MRT station will be located next to a proposed Customs, Immigration and Quarantine (CIQ) complex and is within System (RTS)–Mass Rapid and the Woodlands Regional Centre, adjoining several offices and business parks to Woodlands, Singapore
Plans for a cross-border link have been on the table since the 80s, but have to date fallen to the wayside as a result of several bilateral disagreements.
The project was, however, revived in May 2010 and both Singaporean Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and Malaysian Prime Minister Dato’ Sri Mohd Najib Tun Abdul Razak agreed to jointly develop an RTS Link.
“I think we will see more Singaporeans and Malaysians who are Singapore Permanent Residents buying seconnd homes in JB city centre to take advantage of the RTS and accessibility to Singapore,” said Han.”The RTS will benefit JB city centre immensely. Singaporeans can now take advantage of ‘lower cost of living’ and to an extent having better lifestyle such as larger apartments with condo facilities at a price of an HDB flat.”
TriTower Residence by MB Buikders Sdn Bhd is the closest located near the RTS Station in Bukit Chagar. Photo: Courtesy of MB Builders Sdn Bhd,

Meanwhile, developers believe the RTS station in Johor Bahru will have a positive impact on the overall development of the Malaysian state.
“The Malaysia government’s decision will likely add value to our development, as it will further improve the commuting convenience for our residents, especially for those lacking their own transport and need to travel between Johor Bahru and Singapore frequently,” said Cindi Sim, Group Managing Director of MB Builders Sdn Bhd.
Under the Urban Redevelopment Authority’s (URA) Master Plan 2013, the Singapore government has put in place a decentralisation strategy to develop the Woodlands Regional Centre into a key business hub. It will serve as a northern gateway to Iskandar Malaysia over the next decade and a half, with direct links to the Thomson Line and to Iskandar Malaysia.
Woodlands Regional Centre Draft URA Masterplan 2013. Photo: Courtesy of Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) Singapore.

The Land Transportation Authority (LTA) said the RTS would have co-located CIQ facilities on both sides, allowing commuters to clear immigration at a single location for each way of travel. Four potential stations have been identified: Tanjung Puteri, JB Sentral 1, JB Sentral 2, and Bukit Chagar as the terminating station.
“Consequently, we expect that the RTS project will increase the capital appreciation and potential rental yield of TriTower Residence,” added Sim, whose firm’s TriTower Residence development is located just next to the planned RTS station in Bukit Chagar.
“We expect the properties in Bukit Chagar will increase in value due to the RTS project as well as the new Komtar JBCC shopping centre,” said Sim, whose firm’s TriTower Residence development is located just next to the plannedstation in Bukit Chagar.
According to Sim, it would be more valuable for developers to stay near to the transit stations following the rise in petrol prices and the recent toll hiksides of the causeway.
Indeed, Johor Bahru is undergoing major transformations, boosted by MYR1.8 billion (USD549 million)worth of committed funds from Malaysia’s federal government. Ambitious projects in the pipeline include the rehabilitation of Sungei Segget, the revival of the city centre, a new entry gateway near the causeway, and a mixed-use development called Vantage Bay.
Likewise, buyers are anticipating new developments to be launched in the area that will benefit from the reduced travel time created by the RTS.
“The RTS will impact my investment decisions, but only within Johor Bahru or Zone A of Iskandar Malaysia,” said William Liong, a homeowner in Iskandar Malaysia. “Nevertheless, I would still be interested in Zone B, Nusajaya, as this area is not too dependent on the RTS. In Nusajaya, the High Speed Rail project and other catalysts wdriving the demand pattern.
Although the announcement of the RTS in Bukit Chagar has been much anticipated by market observers, officials from Malaysia and Singapore are still awaiting confirmation from either side in order to move on to the next phase of the project and approve the specific train station locations.
Despite the delays, however, they remain optimistic about the overall plan, and believe the crosslink will be mutually beneficial for both Singapore and Malaysia, especially in the manufacturing sector, which normally depends on cheaper workforce cofrom Malaysia.
“Malaysian workers may rent apartments within JB City Centre and commute daily via RTS/MRT to Woodlands,” according to Chesterton Singapore’s Han. “It could be a win-win for both JB and Woodlands each holding their own attractive grounds co- existing in unison.”
This story was first published by Property Report in its January 2015 issue.

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
So this 2 km RTS was revived in 2010? Today is 2015 and we still looking at concept lines drawing. In china 4 years they already built the 1400km hsr from Beijing to shanghai. Now I can only hope I can see this RTS working before China send man to moon. :(

Rocka

Alfrescian
Loyal
So this 2 km RTS was revived in 2010? Today is 2015 and we still looking at concept lines drawing. In china 4 years they already built the 1400km hsr from Beijing to shanghai. Now I can only hope I can see this RTS working before China send man to moon. :(

Yes, it is indeed snail slow. The only reason I can see is that Beijing and Shanghai are in the same country, whereas JB and Woodland are in different country. Similarly, Shenzen and Hong Kong vs JB and Singapore are two different scenario.

Kksg2000

Alfrescian
Loyal
wondering is there any possibility the terminating station will be at Tanjung Puteri again.. MY always roti prata..