• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

RTS rapid transit system linking Johor and Singapore (MASTEEL)

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unlike the HSR in other countries, the HSR link the cities within the same country like in China, Japan, Taiwan, Europe etc when one can move and work "freely" between cities.
This one is between 2 countries where one cannot work in the other country freely, so its a marked difference.
If you had read some of the interview excerpts, His Royal Highness always seems to refer the Federal people as "outsiders" or "other people" and are extremely bothersome so it shows a somewhat frosty relationship.
Then if indeed the Forest City is aiming to be developed into an IR, then it may not proceed as smoothly as some people wanted.

Yes, SG and MY are diff countries.

My take is that SG is short of people / land and KL/MY folks are 'better' than other nationalities as we are more similar. SG would welcome them as we have not much choice if we were to compete well with other metropolis. MY wants to grow their economy also to be a developed nation . Short cut is to tap on SG growth since I don't think they can grow fast on their own...so it's a mutual win, win kind of relationship. How else would LHL and Najib be talking about HSR and RTS quite so often?

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, SG and MY are diff countries.

My take is that SG is short of people / land and KL/MY folks are 'better' than other nationalities as we are more similar. SG would welcome them as we have not much choice if we were to compete well with other metropolis. MY wants to grow their economy also to be a developed nation . Short cut is to tap on SG growth since I don't think they can grow fast on their own...so it's a mutual win, win kind of relationship. How else would LHL and Najib be talking about HSR and RTS quite so often?

SG is definitely short of people to fill many of the jobs but unlike 20, 30 years ago, and traditionally, we depend a lot on Malaysians because of proximity and cultural similarities.
Not now anymore.
See the overwhelming numbers of Pinoys, Chinamen, Mainland Indians, Thais, Burmese, Banglas, etc in all different levels of jobs right now!
Even if the numbers of Malaysians coming here is lessen, this can be easily replaced by one of those mentioned nationality.
So, having better connectivity between the 2 cities really do not need another more extremely expensive investment.
As for the frequent mentioning of HSR and RTS, it could be all for scoring political points and "feel good" news.

Last edited:

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
The idea for HSR is to draw Malaysian talents in from further up North, say Seremban/KL region to work in SG and make it easier for them to go back home on weekends. HSR will also help to develop the West areas.

For RTS, besides developing the Northern region, the idea is for Malaysians (esp Johoreans but probably a few others from internal migration from other states) to work in SG and live in JB, hence relieving SG of much needed breathing space and solving the labour crunch at the same time.

Encouraging SG SMEs to move out into Johor, is meant to get SG SMEs to snap up freehold industrial land there, thus maximizing our economic space and is an unspoken type of economic colonization, while freeing up land in SG for higher value activities and the really big MNCs.

The downside of this policy is whether Malaysia will eventually do a U-turn, thus the presence of other foreigners esp Chinese investors and developers is critical. While Malaysia delights in making Singapore a bogeyman from time to time, MH370 and AIIB has shown that no country (whether Western or Asian) can afford to offend the Chinese. By getting the Hong Kongers, Australians and Chinese developers in, we safeguard our own interests as well. One should thank Robert Kuok for this.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
The idea for HSR is to draw Malaysian talents in from further up North, say Seremban/KL region to work in SG and make it easier for them to go back home on weekends. HSR will also help to develop the West areas.

For RTS, besides developing the Northern region, the idea is for Malaysians (esp Johoreans but probably a few others from internal migration from other states) to work in SG and live in JB, hence relieving SG of much needed breathing space and solving the labour crunch at the same time.

Encouraging SG SMEs to move out into Johor, is meant to get SG SMEs to snap up freehold industrial land there, thus maximizing our economic space and is an unspoken type of economic colonization, while freeing up land in SG for higher value activities and the really big MNCs.

The downside of this policy is whether Malaysia will eventually do a U-turn, thus the presence of other foreigners esp Chinese investors and developers is critical. While Malaysia delights in making Singapore a bogeyman from time to time, MH370 and AIIB has shown that no country (whether Western or Asian) can afford to offend the Chinese. By getting the Hong Kongers, Australians and Chinese developers in, we safeguard our own interests as well. One should thank Robert Kuok for this.

If you follow the MY news closely, the PM is now busy fighting off his political opponents, worse for his own party, namely Dr M!
He can easily ignore the opposition no matter how loud they can be, but not from the veterans from his own party.
Together with Dr M's loyalists and old guards like Daim, Tunku Razaleigh and many others, they are orchestrating an effort to topple him, some say by August this year!
I have an uncomfortable feeling that some political upheaval between the two camps may be taking place anytime soon!
So all these mega projects may have to take a back seat for a while!

neutral

Alfrescian
Loyal
just announced that the Singapore terminus station for the high speed rail will be in jurong east. but no news yet on the RTS terminus station in jb

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
HSR is Malaysia / Singapore initiative. HSR is between 7 stations.
RTS is Johor Baru / Singapore initiative. RTS is between 2 stations.

So which one? In the end...no money la.

Would rather HSR not proceed. Too much risk for SG.

Rocka

Alfrescian
Loyal
Zero mention of RTS in joint statement :(
Aiyah, since either status quo or no progress at all, then why they have to spend so much money and resources on this retreat meeting. They could have whatsapped each other and save the tax-payer money.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
HSR is Malaysia / Singapore initiative. HSR is between 7 stations.
RTS is Johor Baru / Singapore initiative. RTS is between 2 stations.

So which one? In the end...no money la.

They always mention that the travelling time from SG to KL on the HSR is about 90 mins but that's the time for non-stop express.
Having 7 stations between SG and KL will at least add another 50 mins for stopping at 5 stations (based on 10 mins each stop)
The Shinkansen in Japan has both express and non express services between Tokyo and Osaka and the interval time for each stop is about 10 to 12 mins! The one I took stops at Kyoto was 12 mins!

toyohon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyah, since either status quo or no progress at all, then why they have to spend so much money and resources on this retreat meeting. They could have whatsapped each other and save the tax-payer money.

LOL, that's a good one!

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
The details to be ironed out are not trivial, like how and where to operate the 2in1 custom, how to share the cost, how to do a competitive tender,etc. At Least now the track alignment is more or less decided, both side can sit down to go into the details. The last thing we want to see is rushing into it and allow some company with agenda to bulldoze into the project, compromise the integrity and tarnish the reputation of the 2 countries. We all can wait for a few more years, if that is what it takes to ensure a successful project.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
They always mention that the travelling time from SG to KL on the HSR is about 90 mins but that's the time for non-stop express.
Having 7 stations between SG and KL will at least add another 50 mins for stopping at 5 stations (based on 10 mins each stop)
The Shinkansen in Japan has both express and non express services between Tokyo and Osaka and the interval time for each stop is about 10 to 12 mins! The one I took stops at Kyoto was 12 mins!

But if you are going to KL from SG, why would you want to take a non-express service? You should be taking the express service instead. The non-express service is more for intra-MY travel to Seremban, Batu, Ayer Keroh etc......

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
The details to be ironed out are not trivial, like how and where to operate the 2in1 custom, how to share the cost, how to do a competitive tender,etc. At Least now the track alignment is more or less decided, both side can sit down to go into the details. The last thing we want to see is rushing into it and allow some company with agenda to bulldoze into the project, compromise the integrity and tarnish the reputation of the 2 countries. We all can wait for a few more years, if that is what it takes to ensure a successful project.
I'm more worried about Najib's tenure. If he will be ousted, everything will be put on hold indefinitely, or at least until the crooked bridge is approved.

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal
As reported in today's ST:

Malaysian PM Najib Razak said the decision on where the JB station will be should be resolved “by the time we meet again".

S'pore PM Lee Hsien Loong: "we’re ready to progress it as soon as both side are ready”.

Sigh....

Rocka

Alfrescian
Loyal
As reported in today's ST:

Malaysian PM Najib Razak said the decision on where the JB station will be should be resolved “by the time we meet again".

Sigh....

S'pore PM Lee Hsien Loong: "we’re ready to progress it as soon as both side are ready”.
To Singapore, since the political situation in M'sia is so fluid now, it is better play safe now than sorry later. Thus unless there is an official(with Putrajaya letterhead n chop n M'sian PM signature) endorsement that Bukit Chagar is the one, any announcement news on M'sian news paper by any minister, all "tak boleh pakai" (cannot be trusted). And during this retreat meeting, Najib did not even want to announce the JB station location.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore is aware of the implications.
I'm sure they'll be playing a delay tactic. Nothing big will be announced at this retreat.
As expected.
In Johor you can't bank on infrastructure announcements to place your bets. If it happens then it's good but I would say best do your sums without those materialising

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
But if you are going to KL from SG, why would you want to take a non-express service? You should be taking the express service instead. The non-express service is more for intra-MY travel to Seremban, Batu, Ayer Keroh etc......

To date, there were not one announcement that there will be express and non express services, all we know is there will be 5 stations along the way between SG and KL and travelling time is 90 mins.
And is the train bypassing the first MY station in Nusajaya from SG to KL or stopping there?
And does it means that someone coming from Seremban to SG has to take the non express service and would takes him about 2.5 hrs instead of less than 90 mins?
So how is one are going to figure this out?

Last edited: