• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

RTS rapid transit system linking Johor and Singapore (MASTEEL)

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everyone knows that there are about 2 to 300,000 Malaysians travelling into SG to work/study everyday and the RTS will definitely benefit and provides convenience for this large group of would be commuters.
But how many of this 2 to 300,000 people will actually take the RTS?
I don't know how many but perhaps I do know how many will probably not take the RTS.
They are broadly divided into -

The Motobike Brigade
This group will continue to go to work from their home on motorbikes. You can see many on the Causeway going into SG in their uniform and overalls on their bike.
Many are mostly blue collar workers working in the many rural industrial estates, shipyards and even the airport and travelling on motorbike is the most convenient and time saving.
Among them are also bus and coach drivers, cleaners, students, etc.
My motor workshop mechanic is one of 100,000 bikers coming in everyday.

The Driving Brigade
This group are the executives who can afford to drive to work despite the tolls and VEP etc, the businessmen and those in sales and marketing and need the car to move around.
There is also another group who drives a minivan or the Vanette. They are usually sub-contractors, tradesmen like carpenters, plumbers, electricians etc. where the van is also their tool box.

The Blue and Orange Bus Brigade
The blue buses, with words "Bas Pekerja" printed on the sides, ferry mostly women production line workers to the SG factories from all over JB.
Usually they are on 24/7 shifts and you can see hundreds of these buses crossing into SG in different hours.
For many of these folks, they say they'll quit the job if the blue bus stop its service.
The bright orange buses or Bas Sekolah only can be seen in the day as they fetch children to SG for school.
Most parents will probably still use this transport mode for their kids as it is less time consuming and maybe also safer.

The Western Bridgade
This refers to all those folks staying in the western side of JB like Gelang Petah, Nusa Besteri, Bukit Indah, etc.
For them, it is more convenient to travel via the 2nd Link to SG than going thru JB.
It doesn't make sense to travel all the way thru central JB into SG, RTS no RTS.

So, even a layman like me can have this observation, I'm sure the professional consultants were able to pick this up too.
It seems like probably only a small portion of that 300,000 people will use the RTS service and that's provided the fare is affordable to the public.
Then, how can the RTS be profitable and sustainable?

goldenbet

Alfrescian
Loyal
this is like saying, I used to travel by SBS Transit bus and it took 45 mins for me to reach office. Now a new MRT line has come which will allow me to reach office in 15 mins, but still I will take Bus.

Be logical, when RTS comes, more and more people will opt for RTS because they don't have to have stand in 2 Customs line, no traffic jam, easier to travel direct connection with SG MRT network.

Not sure if you know, before MRT came to SG, everyone used to travel by Bus and see now.

Everyone knows that there are about 2 to 300,000 Malaysians travelling into SG to work/study everyday and the RTS will definitely benefit and provides convenience for this large group of would be commuters.
I don't know how many but perhaps I do know how many will probably not take the RTS.

The Motobike Brigade
This group will continue to go to work from their home on motorbikes. You can see many on the Causeway going into SG in their uniform and overalls on their bike.
Many are mostly blue collar workers working in the many rural industrial estates, shipyards and even the airport and travelling on motorbike is the most convenient and time saving.

The Driving Brigade
This group are the executives who can afford to drive to work despite the tolls and VEP etc, the businessmen and those in sales and marketing and need the car to move around.
There is also another group who drives a minivan or the Vanette. They are usually sub-contractors, tradesmen like carpenters, plumbers, electricians etc. where the van is also their tool box.

The blue buses, with words "Bas Pekerja" printed on the sides, ferry mostly women production line workers to the SG factories from all over JB.
Usually they are on 24/7 shifts and you can see hundreds of these buses crossing into SG in different hours.
For many of these folks, they say they'll quit the job if the blue bus stop its service.
The bright orange buses or Bas Sekolah only can be seen in the day as they fetch children to SG for school.
Most parents will probably still use this transport mode for their kids as it is less time consuming and maybe also safer.

The Western Bridgade
This refers to all those folks staying in the western side of JB like Gelang Petah, Nusa Besteri, Bukit Indah, etc.
For them, it is more convenient to travel via the 2nd Link to SG than going thru JB.
It doesn't make sense to travel all the way thru central JB into SG, RTS no RTS.

So, even a layman like me can have this observation, I'm sure the professional consultants were able to pick this up too.
It seems like probably only a small portion of that 300,000 people will use the RTS service and that's provided the fare is affordable to the public.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
The hike in levy and toll will convince more people to switch to RTS and MRT once RTS is up. Custom can cut down on booths and boot/bike inspection lines.

Rocka

Alfrescian
Loyal

The Motobike Brigade

The Driving Brigade

The Western Bridgade

In Singapore, u almost can reach any destination by MRT which will not face traffic jam. RTS provides alternative effective custom clearance which is the main cause of the current causeway jam. RTS will complement others mode of transport but not totally replacing it. Whether RTS be profitable and sustainable, the authorities will do the maths base on pattern and frequency of ridership. May be initially more expensive but later it will eventually come down. We cannot deny the benefit of RTS just because it seems not profitable at the beginning.

Rocka

Alfrescian
Loyal

The Motobike Brigade

The Driving Brigade

The Western Bridgade

In Singapore, u almost can reach any destination by MRT which will not face traffic jam. RTS provides alternative effective custom clearance which is the main cause of the current causeway jam. RTS will complement others mode of transport but not totally replacing it. Whether RTS be profitable and sustainable, the authorities will do the maths base on pattern and frequency of ridership. May be initially more expensive but later it will eventually come down. We cannot deny the benefit of RTS just because it seems not profitable at the beginning.

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal
Commuters in those brigades identified by snowbird are members of those brigades simply because there is no better alternative. Give them a better alternative, such as RTS, and they'll abandon their brigades.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal

RTS will be profitable. It is a function of tolls/levies for drivers and motorcyclists.

Skooz

Alfrescian
Loyal
RTS will be profitable. It is a function of tolls/levies for drivers and motorcyclists.
RTS is not mentioned at all in the last Big Guys meetup so probably will be delayed ,now more hype is on HSR.
Probably there will be loss of income from the tolls n future foreign vehicle levy.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal

Motorbikers together with the driving group take more than 2/3 of the Malaysians travelling to SG.
The MY govt. had acknowledged that the bikers, being mostly from the lower income group, had already "promised" not to impose levies or tolls on the bikers.
Lets just see if they will keep this promise.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Commuters in those brigades identified by snowbird are members of those brigades simply because there is no better alternative. Give them a better alternative, such as RTS, and they'll abandon their brigades.

There are many factors that will help make or break the RTS system.
Most important will be the train fare. Too expensive will put off many commuters while too cheap will bankrupt the system.
So how much is a fare charge?
Next, as I have mentioned several times before, is the connectivity.
In SG, there are feeder buses that takes you to and from the MRT stations in housing estates and bus routes were planned to compliment the system.
Public transportation in JB is chaotic, to put it mildly and totally unreliable in schedule.
Try taking a public bus and come back and tell your experience.
So you have a great link from SG to JB Central and then got stuck upon arrival.
To date, nothing had been mentioned on the major overhaul of the public transportation and no initiation had been shown.
Probably now, not many people and only the poorer ones and students take public buses so no one really bother to improve the system.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
The delay for the implementation of the HSR was cited as due to major issues like regulatory, structural and operational matters not having resolved yet.
Since the RTS is also another cross-border train system, it will also involves similar issues like "regulatory, structural and operational matters".
And worse, for this proposal, location of the terminal station in JB is still not finalised yet so more work needed to be done.
So expect the delay to be even longer than the HSR.

Rocka

Alfrescian
Loyal
In fact this thread can be closed down for say 3 years and reopen. By then you will still find nothing much missing...

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
KTM Intercity just announced that it will operate a shuttle service from JB Central to Woodlands, Singapore from 1st July.
The service is called Tebrau Shuttle and will serve commuters daily between the two countries and reduce traffic congestion on the Johor Causeway.
A total of 14 shuttle train services would be available daily of which 7 are from JB Central Station and 7 from Woodlands Station.
From JB, the first service starts at 5.30am and end at 10pm while the service from Woodlands Station will start at 6.30am and end at 11pm.
The fare - RM5 from JB Central and SGD5 from Woodlands Station.
If this service works, I'm sure they'll add more round trip services.
And if it do works, then why bother to spend more money and resources to built the RTS which is exactly doing the same thing???
However, they really need to modernise both stations and the facilities for better comfort and to attract more commuters.

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malaysia/article/ktmb-to-operate-tebrau-shuttle-from-july-1

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
KTM Intercity just announced that it will operate a shuttle service from JB Central to Woodlands, Singapore from 1st July.
The service is called Tebrau Shuttle and will serve commuters daily with a total of 14 shuttle services of which 7 are from JB Central Station and 7 from Woodlands Station, starting at 6.30am and end at 11pm
The fare - RM5 from JB and S$5 from Woodlands Station.

KTM is also terminating the south bound main rail services in JB and no more coming into SG, so those coming from the north have to change train in JB Central or disperse there.
So this new Intercity Service will be using similar and perhaps newer coaches like those shuttle for KL/Rawang which is faster, cleaner and more comfortable.
If this Intercity shuttle actually does works then why bother to spend more money and resources to built the new RTS???
And if it does work, I'm sure KTM will add more round trip services.
However, they really need to upgrade the rundown stations and facilities for better comfort to the commuters.

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malaysia/article/ktmb-to-operate-tebrau-shuttle-from-july-1

Rocka

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore is aware of the implications.
I'm sure they'll be playing a delay tactic. Nothing big will be announced at this retreat.
As expected.
In Johor you can't bank on infrastructure announcements to place your bets. If it happens then it's good but I would say best do your sums without those materialising

No need RTS lah, so troublesome and costly. This Causeway Travellator JB-SG is so must easier, cheaper and faster to implement.
http://www.theiskandarian.com/web/a-causeway-travellator-for-a-smoother-border-crossing/

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.therakyatpost.com/news/2...ystem-terminal-in-jb-says-liow/#ixzz3lirIFNXL

JOHOR BARU, Sept 11, 2015:

The former residential area of Bukit Chagar here will be the terminal station location for the Rapid Transit System (RTS) from Singapore.
Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai said that Bukit Chagar had been identified as the station’s location by both the federal and state governments.
“With the agreement of the station’s location, the government hopes that the RTS project can be jointly carried out by Malaysia and Singapore as soon as possible,” he said after a visit to SJKC Pei Hwa 2 in Permas Jaya here, today.
Liow assured the public that detailed plans are currently being discussed with the Johor State Economic Planning Unit.
“The Transport Ministry hopes to announce the details soon with the location of Bukit Chagar for the RTS’ terminal station in Johor Baru,” he said, adding the government also hoped to settle the matter as soon as possible.

The delay of the final terminal station’s location in Johor Baru had been an ongoing issue since late last year and early this year.
The Bukit Chagar area, which is conveniently located in the city centre and also JB Sentral’s Customs, Immigration and Quarantine (CIQ) complex, was the top choice of the public from a list of four preferred locations polled during the Iskandar Malaysia Comprehensive Development Plan Open Day in September last year.
The RTS, which will connect Johor Baru city centre to Singapore’s Republic Polytechnic in Woodlands is expected to be operational by 2019.
On a separate matter, Liow said the ministry was looking into the possibility of using the railway line to transport goods to ease the daily congestion along the Pasir Gudang Highway in Johor.
This was mainly to facilitate the movement of cargo from the Port of Tanjung Pelepas to the Johor Port.