• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

RTS rapid transit system linking Johor and Singapore (MASTEEL)

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal

At the press conference following the leaders' meeting, Mr Najib said that he had also proposed a "friendship bridge" between the two countries.

Mr Najib said: "Another initiative which I like to stress is a long-term initiative, looking at the road links between Malaysia and Singapore - a proposal to have a friendship bridge that will certainly enhance good connectivity, improve the environment as well as create much stronger links between our two countries and symbol of the growing friendship."

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/m-sia-s-pore-welcome/1061266.html

I was wondering, how would this bridge "improve the environment"? Unless he means it is intended to replace the causeway and therefore help in the water flow in the straits ?

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
From articles, I interprete as Najib proposed it but LHL brushed it under some vague plans, then added tt SG is looking at expanding 1st link in future. So hazy.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Long term is uncertain. Not sure if political situation may change or not. There are a lot of unhappiness on e ground at both countries.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Long term is uncertain. Not sure if political situation may change or not. There are a lot of unhappiness on e ground at both countries.

Yup.. A bit disappointed that MRT link was not discussed much..
Wonder why the priority is not given to it.

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yup.. A bit disappointed that MRT link was not discussed much..
Wonder why the priority is not given to it.

The station joining Singapore and Johor Bahru is already pass to the committee to handle. No point talking about it as the deal already settle.

After this talk about high speed train joining KL and SG; they may pass down to another committee and may not be in their talk anymore.

Base on their talk; look like Singapore corporations may enter Iskandar in force.

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore leader Lee Hsien Loong travelled to Kuala Lumpur on a Malaysia Airlines flight for his annual retreat with Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak. As bilateral ties move up another notch, Lee came to show support to Najib in the wake of the MH370 tragedy.

IT may be a coincidence but when Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong arrived at KLIA on Sunday, he was on flight MH606 from Singapore.

It didn’t go unnoticed.

One Malaysian official opined that it reflected his confidence in Malaysia during the MH370 crisis.
On Monday after the retreat, Lee made clear his support for Malaysia during the joint press conference with Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.

“Singapore stands with Malaysia in this tragedy. We participated in SAR in the South China Sea and Straits of Malacca.

“As I told Prime Minister Najib, we stand ready to help Malaysia also in the next phase of investigation and its handling and follow-ups.

“I thank PM Najib for hosting the meeting in this difficult time for Malaysia in handling the aftermath of MH370. I also express sympathy to the families of crew and passengers on board,” Lee said as a sombre-looking Najib stood next to him.

The last few weeks have been tough for Malaysia, and Najib, who has struck a great personal relationship with Lee, has always enjoyed meeting him.

A Cabinet Minister, who has been attending meetings involving the two leaders, said they are comfortable in each other’s company.

“You can see that the chemistry is there – from the body language of the two leaders,” he observed.

The good rapport the leaders enjoy has paved the way for improved bilateral relations between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore.

Joint iconic projects involving Temasek Holdings and Khazanah Nasional, the investment arms of both countries, are progressing well especially in Iskandar Malaysia.

Iskandar is contributing to greater cooperation between the two countries and the integration of their economies.

Talks on other proposed projects like the Malaysia-Singapore high-speed rail (HSR) link service and Rapid Transit System (RTS) link are also progressing well.

The rail link which was announced last year has created a lot of excitement as it will shorten the rail travelling time between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur from six hours to 90 minutes.

The 330km rail line is slated to be completed by 2020 and will connect two terminus stations (Kuala Lumpur and Singapore) via five transit stops spread out across Negri Sembilan, Malacca and Johor.

The Malaysia-Singapore Joint Ministerial Committee for Iskandar Malaysia (JMC) has endorsed phase one of the joint engineering study for the RTS which is to improve connectivity between Johor Baru and Singapore.

The RTS link is supposed to leverage on the complementarities between Iskandar and Singapore.

A proposal to venture into joint border control, the first in the region, has been made by Singapore as an initiative to resolve traffic congestion at entry and exit points.

And there is also a proposal for a friendship bridge linking the two countries.

Najib said the suggestion of a friendship bridge was a long-term initiative to enhance road connectivity between the two countries.

“A friendship bridge will also create a much stronger link between the two countries and be a symbol of a growing friendship.

“Both countries have decided that we should ask our ministers to study it as a long-term initiative,” Najib said.

Lee said his visit to Kuala Lumpur this time had been fruitful.

Upon arrival, he went for a two-hour tour of the Bangsar and Bukit Bintang areas and also visited the Petronas Twin Towers for the first time.

His visit was also literally fruitful.

Soon as he landed at the airport, Lee, who is known to be a durian lover, was asking about the Malaysian agro bazaar to be held in Singapore and was excited about the famous Musang King variety of durian.

He was then served the Musang King during dinner on a boat cruise on the Putrajaya lake hosted by Najib.

Lee couldn’t help mentioning the durian at the leaders’ joint press conference.

“Malaysia is planning to hold an agro bazaar in June, and I believe one of the agro products should be the Musang King durian.

“So many Singaporeans will get to enjoy the Musang King that we had on the boat sailing around Putrajaya,” he quipped, much to the amusement of his host and Cabinet ministers from both countries.

The close ties and enthusiasm shown by the two leaders should be the catalyst for officials and ministers to work hard on the various projects and proposals already on the cards.

It will also bring a different psychology to the people in the two countries that Malaysia and Singapore can indeed be good friends and that they benefit from a strong partnership.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
A very important detail on e MH flight. Singapore govt officials by default buy SQ tickets. This shows continuous support for Iskandar by SG govt.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
PM Lee: Jurong East a 'very attractive' option
Govt is studying it as a possible site for the S'pore-KL High Speed Rail station
BY LEE U-WEN
[email protected]
PUBLISHED APRIL 10, 2014

[SINGAPORE] SITING the terminal station of the planned High Speed Rail (HSR) linking Singapore and Kuala Lumpur in Jurong East is a "very attractive" option that the Singapore government is currently studying, said Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.

"I have told (Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak), in Singapore we have three sites possible, but Jurong East is one very attractive one which we are considering," said Mr Lee at the Istana during a roundtable discussion with a group of newspaper editors on Tuesday.

The full transcript of the closed-door session, organised by the Bangkok-based Asia News Network (ANN), was released by Mr Lee's office last night.
Earlier in the week after his annual retreat with Mr Najib in Putrajaya, Mr Lee had revealed that the three sites being considered in Singapore were Jurong East, Tuas West and the city centre.

Mr Najib, meanwhile, confirmed that Malaysia will host its terminal station in Bandar Malaysia near Sungai Besi.

In the ANN interview, Mr Lee stressed that there was much work still to be done as the HSR project takes shape.

"Many aspects have to be studied and discussed and agreed upon. But if we can get the High Speed Rail between Singapore and KL built, whether it is (by) 2020 or whether it is a bit later, I think it will make a very big difference to the connection between two very vibrant cities, in the way you can do business together, in the way you can travel up (and) down, the convenience of it," he said.

Singapore and Malaysia have set a 2020 deadline to complete the 320km to 340km rail project, which will shuttle passengers from Singapore to KL in just 90 minutes.

Key areas such as how the HSR will be built, the engineering involved, the financing models, governance and legal framework have all yet to be worked out, said Mr Lee.

"These are all very complicated to do even in one country, but to do in two countries, and to work it all out in what would be quite a compressed time frame, I think will test our teams," he said.

When asked by a Malaysian editor if Singapore and Malaysia would select a committee to run the project or if a private company would do so, Mr Lee would only say that this was another issue that would need to be addressed.

In the wide-ranging session, Mr Lee was quizzed on issues including the political turmoil in Thailand, the haze problem that plagues South-east Asia every year, and his experience with the use of social media such as Facebook.

When asked about his own political future and how long he planned to remain as Singapore's prime minister, Mr Lee said that leaders should stay as long as they are able to make a contribution.

"In Singapore, we pay a lot of attention to succession planning and making sure that we have a new team ready, and new leaders who are capable of taking charge, so that the country can move ahead and the leaders can be in sync with the country," he said.

"I can't say exactly how long I am staying, but I am 62 years old and that's not young," said Mr Lee.

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/pre...e-jurong-east-very-attractive-option-20140410

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
More or less the terminal will be set at Jurong East, which will become the commercial, finance and industrial hub at the west side.

DCputeri

Alfrescian
Loyal
HSR will be another route for movement between Nusajaya and Singapore if the first stop from Singapore to Malaysia in Iskandar. The stop is likely to be near Medini.
More or less the terminal will be set at Jurong East, which will become the commercial, finance and industrial hub at the west side.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
If medini or surroundings are developed and aided with HSR, by 2030 rm1000psf is going to look extremely cheap here.

HSR will be another route for movement between Nusajaya and Singapore if the first stop from Singapore to Malaysia in Iskandar. The stop is likely to be near Medini.

DCputeri

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am sure LHL, Najib and Sultan of Johor have special interest in this area. The HSR station in Iskandar is quite clear to be in the western part since it will enter singapore from tuas side. However, the HSR speed will be greatly reduced after reaching the station in Iskandar as the distance between Singapore and this station is rather short.
If medini or surroundings are developed and aided with HSR, by 2030 rm1000psf is going to look extremely cheap here. LHL is encouraging the more Singapore's companies to go in to Malaysia to support its Acendas-UEM venture and their Danga site will be fueled by the RTS near Causeway.

Last edited:

gooddebt

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am sure LHL, Najib and Sultan of Johor have special interest in this area. The HSR station in Iskandar is quite clear to be in the western part since it will enter singapore from tuas side. However, the HSR speed will be greatly reduced after reaching the station in Iskandar as the distance between Singapore and this station is rather short.

the slow down in speed not an issue as the distance between Iskandar and S'pore station is not that large, especially if its the Tuas West station.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal

hey, cool. quite near my current place. maybe i should finally get that small apartment i've been eyeing in KL. :smile:

Last edited:

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
If medini or surroundings are developed and aided with HSR, by 2030 rm1000psf is going to look extremely cheap here.

2030 is 15 years away. the thing about m'sia is not like singapore. a 15 y/o condo will not keep going up in value because there is so much land there, people will buy newer condos. this is something to bear in mind when "investing' in malaysia. this is as opposed to s'pore, where old condos can still more or less keep pace with newer developments due to space restrictions