• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

RTS rapid transit system linking Johor and Singapore (MASTEEL)

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe after the HSR project is more settled, they might just turn their attention to the RTS?

I read that they are now trying to implement the BRT, the bus system. Hopefully that will improve the connectivity within Iskandar.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe after the HSR project is more settled, they might just turn their attention to the RTS?I read that they are now trying to implement the BRT, the bus system. Hopefully that will improve the connectivity within Iskandar.
If I read it right, it will be 1st priority: HSR, 2nd priority: BRT linking HSR to rest of Iskandar under 3 phases and lastly RTS. Malaysia do not have too much cash to burn and it will choose where to spend. HSR is for the bigger picture of development of Southern Malaysian towns from Nusajaya to KL.BRT is for the infrastructure connectivity for 90% of Johore. No point having developments all over but lack of transport systems.RTS is only to serve JB/Spore commuters between 2 towns which in my view is not as macro as others. More so, negotiation between 2 countries will take a long time. The other reason why BRT is given priority is that property developers work in partnership with the authorities in contributing towards the cost of building the stations near their developments. That's how the MRT systems in KL is done now. (You want the station to be at your shopping complex, you pay for it.)

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Reasonable and makes a lot of sense.
Although was hoping that the sultan will take the lead and perhaps put some of his own money on the line to push for the RTS.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
If what this link http://www.nst.com.my/news/2016/03/136255/green-light-iskandar-bus-rapid-transit says is reliable, maybe the BRT will materialise first before the HSR even though it is a lower priority, given that it is a less cash-hungry creature compared to the HSR monster.
BRT take only 3 years to build based on Sunway BRT model whereas HSR will take 10 years.It is much smaller and shorter phase by phase. There's is really nothing on the BRT system, just elevated platforms over town areas and fenced up roads on the outskiirts with dedicated stations. After that it is electric powered buses. Maybe with minimal signalling systems. I know they plan to have it built over 3 phases. Exactly where is the alignment is not confirmed.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually the RTS is in the detailed engineering phase now, so it's more advanced than BRT or HSR, in terms of project progress. But yes, I think HSR will catch up if it's to be built by China. 3 years can complete liao from initial tender awarded under China......

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
I saw some bus stops already erected in Medini when I was there a few weeks ago. They are not in service yet of course. Wonder if they form part of the BRT.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Target to be ready by 2020.
Hopefully it will be electric.. At least the ride will be quiet and comfortable..
Looks like Johor is starting to look very attractive.
Hopefully it'll materialise

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Target to be ready by 2020.
Hopefully it will be electric.. At least the ride will be quiet and comfortable..
Looks like Johor is starting to look very attractive.
Hopefully it'll materialise

RTS is a game changer for JB, anything within 2-3km will prosper in some way. People underestimate how powerful convenient connectivity is. "If" it ever happens, I hope the designers don't make it stupid like the current CIQ where we have to walk unnecessarily long distances for no bloody reason, defeats the purpose of seamless travel. Old days just cross JB checkpoint near Jln Siu Nam in literally mins and if no bus just walk about 15 mins to Woodlands and cross super quick, whole thing like 30 mins tops.

BTW, didn't some Johor MP suggested a simple covered walkway across the causeway? I mean how much can that cost? Likely like RM200-300k to build? How much would that help, greatly i presume.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually the RTS is in the detailed engineering phase now, so it's more advanced than BRT or HSR, in terms of project progress. But yes, I think HSR will catch up if it's to be built by China. 3 years can complete liao from initial tender awarded under China......

You actually know that they are already working on the RTS engineering detailing?
Wow, that's great news, any idea which engineering company was awarded the contract to work on these details?
Please share your info on what you know!
It is really great progress made but somehow, they may have completely forgotten about the final rail alignment portion of the system.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
You actually know that they are already working on the RTS engineering detailing?
Wow, that's great news, any idea which engineering company was awarded the contract to work on these details?
Please share your info on what you know!
It is really great progress made but somehow, they may have completely forgotten about the final rail alignment portion of the system.

Isnt it Aecom? I thought the US$42m contract was old news. Anyway the links to the 2nd phase are here:-

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/singapore-malaysia-hold/2584122.html

http://www.enanyang.my/news/20151211/新山终站确定在武吉查卡-马新捷运预计长四至五公/

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal

Oh dear, I think you've made a mistake.
US$42 million?
Looking at this petty amount you can already see that this is probably a contract to do the "engineering feasibility study" for the RTS.
For you info, if they are building the track under the Straits, it is going to be expensive - for reference, the Marina Coastal Expressway, which is about the same length cost S$4 billions!
Also, building the RTS in JB side is going to be tough - depending on the final alignment, the track will still have to run through city area where the roads are narrow and there are plenty of very old buildings everywhere, there will be lots of demolition of old buildings and also lots of compensation to be paid out.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh dear, I think you've made a mistake.
US$42 million?
Looking at this petty amount you can already see that this is probably a contract to do the "engineering feasibility study" for the RTS.
For you info, if they are building the track under the Straits, it is going to be expensive - for reference, the Marina Coastal Expressway, which is about the same length cost S$4 billions!
Also, building the RTS in JB side is going to be tough - depending on the final alignment, the track will still have to run through city area where the roads are narrow and there are plenty of very old buildings everywhere, there will be lots of demolition of old buildings and also lots of compensation to be paid out.

FYI, the detailed engineering study awarded to Aecom is 1 of the most expensive in LTA history. I will be v surprised if Aecom cant figure out the alignment, given the massive engineering projects they have undertaken over the years. Just google for their background.

Leave it to the experts to figure out the engineering details, not laymen like you and me.

eric3417

Alfrescian
Loyal
If tender and construction starts in 2019. Think 2022 will be able complete.
Compare to HSR this is chicken feet.

:cool:

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
If tender and construction starts in 2019. Think 2022 will be able complete.
Compare to HSR this is chicken feet.

:cool:

I not so optimistic it can be done by 2022. Thomson Line has already started construction (passed all the feasibility studies), but it will only be fully ready in 2022. 2019 is for 3 stations only. 3 year construction timeline is only possible if China state owned company is awarded the contract.

I cringed when LHL said SG usually needs 12-15 years to plan and construct an MRT line, when the Chinese will probably plan and complete in 5 years.