• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

RTS rapid transit system linking Johor and Singapore (MASTEEL)

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
How come seems like only Najib is making the move. Thought it's supposed to be joint announcement..
Singapore side very quiet about this..
Quite interesting development

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
heard that in May the 2 leaders will meet and make some decision.

You are on the wrong channel.
The meeting you're talking about is for the HSR (High Speed Rail) between SG and KL.
As for the RTS, yes, no news both from the state and from the Federal govt, so you just have to wait and wait.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are on the wrong channel.
The meeting you're talking about is for the HSR (High Speed Rail) between SG and KL.
As for the RTS, yes, no news both from the state and from the Federal govt, so you just have to wait and wait.

SINGAPORE: The Land Transport Authority (LTA) is looking for a consultant to conduct a ridership study for the Rapid Transit System project that is set to link Singapore and Johor Bahru.

A tender was called on Monday (Dec 7) and LTA said this is the next step in line with milestones for the project. The consultant will also provide commercial advisory services for a detailed study of the commercial and operating model for the project.

The study is expected to start in early 2016 and be completed in the third quarter of the year. The project was targeted to be ready by 2019, though LTA said the timeline is still being discussed by Singapore and Malaysia and will be announced when ready.
Singapore previously said its RTS terminus will be at Woodlands North Station, along the new Thomson-East Coast MRT line.
Malaysia has also confirmed its JB terminus will be sited at Bukit Chagar.

- CNA/ek

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/ridership-study-to-be/2336708.html

SINGAPORE - Motorcyclists will have an easier time entering and exiting Johor Baru, as Malaysia plans to implement automated immigration clearance facilities at both the Causeway and Second Link.

It will have 100 M-BIKE lanes at the Causeway and 50 lanes at the Second Link for bikers and pillion riders to scan their passports, a joint statement issued by both countries said.No timeframe was given for when this will be ready.

But the system is similar to that used by Singapore's Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) known as BIKES II - where riders at Woodlands and Tuas checkpoints can scan thumbprints and have passports verified by a machine at 164 counters by end-2016.

These facilities are one of several measures to strengthen transport connectivity that officials from both sides discussed when they met in Singapore on Tuesday for the 12th Malaysia-Singapore Joint Ministerial Committee Meeting for Iskandar Malaysia.

The meeting marks the 10th year of collaboration since the committee was set up in 2007 to look at how both neighbours can work together in the economic zone in South Johor.

Coordinating Minister for Infrastructure Khaw Boon Wan, who is also Transport Minister, co-chaired the meeting with Malaysia's Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Abdul Wahid Omar.

Also present were Johor Menteri Besar Khaled Nordin and Singapore National Development Minister Lawrence Wong, and senior officials from both countries.The committee also discussed the progress of the Kuala Lumpur-Singapore High Speed Rail project and the Rapid Transit System (RTS) Link.

On the high speed rail project, officials noted that "discussions on the commercial, regulatory, security and technical issues are ongoing". The work group overseeing the project recently completed a request for information exercise on the project's commercial model and procurement approach.

The committee also "discussed preparations towards the conclusion of a bilateral agreement between the two countries", and pledged to implement the project "expeditiously, bearing in mind its scale and complexity".
It also welcomed Malaysia's confirmation that Bukit Chagar in Johor Baru will be the terminus location for the RTS that will be linked to Woodlands North MRT station.

The RTS is now in the second phase of a joint engineering study, and the committee said it "looked forward to its commencement".
Officials also discussed tie-ups in industrial cooperation, tourism and the environment.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...n-clearance-for-motorcycles-at-jb-checkpoints

Last edited:

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is a facebook posting from a Singaporean Immigration Officer some months back. Even if the RTS is built, the jams would not be solved if the immigration problems is not looked into.
---------------------------------------------------------

It has been all over social media for the past few days with regards to the horrendous traffic on our land checkpoint. Heres what i gotta say:

First things first, what people need to know is that the traffic has been there for years. Only that they didnt realised its December now, which also means school holidays and festive seasons that is around the corner. And not to forget the attractive 3:1 exchange rate that attracts more malaysian to come over and work. That causes the daily heavy traffic.

When people started complaining about how lazy and inefficient my officers and i are, i would really love to know whats their actual definition of efficiency. If the public see our clearance as slow, i cant see how faster theirs can be? As compared to many other countries, i personally think that we are seriously up to standard. We did our best to open up all counters and zones every day to ease the traffic.

What people need to understand is that checkpoints aint nothing like an amusement park. You come as and when you like, taking it all easy. Crossing over the borders is a priviledge, not an entittlement. You can always choose to stay at home, if you dont want to go through proper screenings for both passports and conveyances.

I see alot of keyboard warriors around here. Saying our officers arent capable of doing their job well. Singaporeans want a safe country. So we conduct proper screenings for everyone that passes through our checkpoints. We dont tighten our security for nothing. But, they whine yet again. Saying it causes alot of hassle and that it took so much of their time to deal with it.

But if we loosen it to please them (which we never did actually), security lapses will take place. And then once again, the officers are to be blamed. Complaining of how horrible they are at carrying out their jobs and that how incapable they are in keeping their country safe and sound.

So how now? We cant please everyone cant we? Theres always a price to pay for everything. I tell you, our officers work so hard everyday. Be it on car clearance, cargos, vehicle checkings, everything. They put their ass out there to ensure that everything roll smoothly. Have you ever for once appreciate their effort? No. You only think of yourself!

I wonder if you keyboard warriors ever complain and bark while going through other country’s clearance. From the look of it, no one have got the balls to. The people who work in Singapore, yes you’ve got a family to feed. We have ours too. You choose to work here, no one forces you to. So, im sorry but you gotta deal with it. Same for the Singaporeans who decide to reside in Malaysia.

Our job is easy, they said. We only chop passport, they said. Okay lor, you win liao lor. If you think that you can do better than what our officers does, i strongly urge you to apply and join us. Be a part of the team and see how we roll everyday. Things are always easier said than done.

And to my officers, i respect all the hardworks you put in since day one. For both on the tough and easy days. This is our rice bowl and we know how to carry out our job well. Keep up the good work and let us not let anything stops us from doing our best, irregardless.

Sekian, terima kasih.

http://mothership.sg/2015/12/causew...icer-wants-you-to-know-about-border-security/

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is a facebook posting from a Singaporean Immigration Officer some months back. Even if the RTS is built, the jams would not be solved if the immigration problems is not looked into.

It has been all over social media for the past few days with regards to the horrendous traffic on our land checkpoint. Heres what i gotta say:

First things first, what people need to know is that the traffic has been there for years. Only that they didnt realised its December now, which also means school holidays and festive seasons that is around the corner. And not to forget the attractive 3:1 exchange rate that attracts more malaysian to come over and work. That causes the daily heavy traffic.

When people started complaining about how lazy and inefficient my officers and i are, i would really love to know whats their actual definition of efficiency. If the public see our clearance as slow, i cant see how faster theirs can be? As compared to many other countries, i personally think that we are seriously up to standard. We did our best to open up all counters and zones every day to ease the traffic.

What people need to understand is that checkpoints aint nothing like an amusement park. You come as and when you like, taking it all easy. Crossing over the borders is a priviledge, not an entittlement. You can always choose to stay at home, if you dont want to go through proper screenings for both passports and conveyances.

I see alot of keyboard warriors around here. Saying our officers arent capable of doing their job well. Singaporeans want a safe country. So we conduct proper screenings for everyone that passes through our checkpoints. We dont tighten our security for nothing. But, they whine yet again. Saying it causes alot of hassle and that it took so much of their time to deal with it.

But if we loosen it to please them (which we never did actually), security lapses will take place. And then once again, the officers are to be blamed. Complaining of how horrible they are at carrying out their jobs and that how incapable they are in keeping their country safe and sound.

So how now? We cant please everyone cant we? Theres always a price to pay for everything. I tell you, our officers work so hard everyday. Be it on car clearance, cargos, vehicle checkings, everything. They put their ass out there to ensure that everything roll smoothly. Have you ever for once appreciate their effort? No. You only think of yourself!

I wonder if you keyboard warriors ever complain and bark while going through other country’s clearance. From the look of it, no one have got the balls to. The people who work in Singapore, yes you’ve got a family to feed. We have ours too. You choose to work here, no one forces you to. So, im sorry but you gotta deal with it. Same for the Singaporeans who decide to reside in Malaysia.

Our job is easy, they said. We only chop passport, they said. Okay lor, you win liao lor. If you think that you can do better than what our officers does, i strongly urge you to apply and join us. Be a part of the team and see how we roll everyday. Things are always easier said than done.

And to my officers, i respect all the hardworks you put in since day one. For both on the tough and easy days. This is our rice bowl and we know how to carry out our job well. Keep up the good work and let us not let anything stops us from doing our best, irregardless.

Sekian, terima kasih.

http://mothership.sg/2015/12/causew...icer-wants-you-to-know-about-border-security/

Checkpoint authorities are not the cream of the crop so honestly you can't expect much. I interviewed a few ppl from this org before and they are not paid top dollar too. 13 years exp in a mgmt role get 6k, far behind their corporate bros.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I share the Customs Officer's thoughts. I think we should respect them instead of blaming them for the jams.

As I've mentioned some time ago, the RTS and HSR won't solve the jam issue. Yes, it will redirect some traffic from the causeway and Tuas side, but it won't solve much.

Instead, we will likely see the (human) jam taking place at the RTS itself. Already, many Singaporeans are complaining the overcrowded MRT stations during peak hours. RTS should be worse and unpleasant. Now, I am saying this with the understanding that RTS will really be built. Nothing is concrete now.

As for HSR, I think it's mainly for business people rather than everyday travel. Moreover, the places where it stops may not be where most commoners will go to in their day to day activities.

I also mentioned before unless we have totally no customs at all, where people can drive through, walk in and out without passports (how nice huh but DREAM ON!), and Singapore/Malaysia share the same level of safety, culture, language and attitudes/behaviours, it is impossible to resolve the traffic or human jams.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sekian, terima kasih.

Speaking from a biker’s experience after more than two years commuting to work, I will say that for the bike jams in Woodlands are due to the following factors that I observe:

1) inefficient design-placement of passport clearance booths. They are designed to create bottlenecks! As mentioned before, a MY toll-booth design is more efficient, everyone joins a booth que in a straight through processing. The current design where booths are stacked behind each other is such that one biker in the first counter can be blocking access to booths 2-10 and increasing the bike jam by the seconds.

2) Closure of passport counters. It is not an uncommon sight to see a few lanes closed, we don't know whether it is due to system down or just not enough officers on duty. But when this happens, you have at least two long lines of bike queues converging, effectively doubling the time to get through.

3) Aetos officers play gatekeeper games. So often I see these officers trying to "make a hole" in the faster clearance areas that they push early comers into far into the old Woodlands checkpoint where it is already jammed. Bikers hate going to the OWC because that is a huge holding facility where hundreds and hundreds of bikes are crammed in there, trying to sqeeze through a gate that is about 3 car widths wide. And if you are "lucky", you get to enjoy the bottleneck caused by a gate just one car width wide. And if you wish to try your luck to plead for access to the faster clearance area, they demand an MC or some other letters. Huh? Excuse me? MC for going through customs? Passport/work permits not enough mah? The effect of gatekeeper games is such that early comers get penalised to join the back of a huge jam, but those who come after you could well get into the faster clearance and exit the checkpoint a good one hour before you!:mad:

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Speaking from a biker’s experience after more than two years commuting to work, I will say that for the bike jams in Woodlands are due to the following factors that I observe:

1) inefficient design-placement of passport clearance booths. They are designed to create bottlenecks! As mentioned before, a MY toll-booth design is more efficient, everyone joins a booth que in a straight through processing. The current design where booths are stacked behind each other is such that one biker in the first counter can be blocking access to booths 2-10 and increasing the bike jam by the seconds.

2) Closure of passport counters. It is not an uncommon sight to see a few lanes closed, we don't know whether it is due to system down or just not enough officers on duty. But when this happens, you have at least two long lines of bike queues converging, effectively doubling the time to get through.

3) Aetos officers play gatekeeper games. So often I see these officers trying to "make a hole" in the faster clearance areas that they push early comers into far into the old Woodlands checkpoint where it is already jammed. Bikers hate going to the OWC because that is a huge holding facility where hundreds and hundreds of bikes are crammed in there, trying to sqeeze through a gate that is about 3 car widths wide. And if you are "lucky", you get to enjoy the bottleneck caused by a gate just one car width wide. And if you wish to try your luck to plead for access to the faster clearance area, they demand an MC or some other letters. Huh? Excuse me? MC for going through customs? Passport/work permits not enough mah? The effect of gatekeeper games is such that early comers get penalised to join the back of a huge jam, but those who come after you could well get into the faster clearance and exit the checkpoint a good one hour before you!:mad:

Whenever I drive through Tuas to Singapore, I cannot stand those cars who try to cut in from the lorry / bus lanes way in front.
It is like oneupmanship. And why those Aetos not taking any action?
I am beginning to suspect the time to clear passport is much longer at the causeway compared to airport. Don't they share the same database and IT infra?

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's is why I'll never stay in JB and work in Singapore. It's too much of a hassle and inconvenience. And the jam at the passport clearance can never be resolved. The Shenzhen/Hongkong crossing is already an example for decades.

Until we can have a unified ASEAN like the Eurozone where there is no passport clearance at the borders, we can forget about ever having a hassle free border crossing. And a unified ASEAN will never materialize.

Last edited:

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's is why I'll never stay in JB and work in Singapore. It's too much of a hassle and inconvenience. And the jam at the passport clearance can never be resolved. The Shenzhen/Hongkong crossing is already an example for decades.

Until we can have a unified ASEAN like the Eurozone where there is no passport clearance at the borders, we can forget about ever having a hassle free border crossing. And a unified ASEAN will never materialize.

All new Malaysian passport has this microchip embedded in it. We never need to have it stamped at KLIA airport. Just place it on the electronic sensor and thumbprint, it automatically read and record. And it is so fast. You never see any long lines at the airport for Malaysians.
No need to key in. No need to stamp until no pages left.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
All new Malaysian passport has this microchip embedded in it. We never need to have it stamped at KLIA airport. Just place it on the electronic sensor and thumbprint, it automatically read and record. And it is so fast. You never see any long lines at the airport for Malaysians.
No need to key in. No need to stamp until no pages left.
Singapore had already implemented this for Singaporeans years ago, especially at Changi Airport. On the first page, it's already stated: "This passport contains a chip and antenna embedded in the data page. Please handle with care". And I believe this is among the requirement for ease of access into America.

Last edited:

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore had already implemented this for Singaporeans years ago, especially at Changi Airport. On the first page, it's already stated: "This passport contains a chip and antenna embedded in the data page. Please handle with care". And I believe this is among the requirement for ease of access into America.

What I am saying is why not implement this electronic system instead of key in and stamping of passport?

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
What I am saying is why not implement this electronic system instead of key in and stamping of passport?
It cannot be implemented unless both countries are willing to share their databases. It had been explained in the news before. And being confidential, no country will do so.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

As shared before, I was of the same adamant mindset 3 years ago. So...never say never. :biggrin:

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
As shared before, I was of the same adamant mindset 3 years ago. So...never say never. :biggrin:
Everyone has then own priorities and tolerant level. I believe you are forced into this sacrifice (of daily crossing) because of your situation and also the provision for your family (bigger house, bigger car, etc) today.

I had come across several Johoreans who had once worked in Singapore. Once, they get married and set up a family, they would rather stop working in Singapore, despite the lower salaries in JB. They claimed that even if they were to rent a room in Singapore, it will then deprive a significant part of their Singapore income, not to mention more for food and other expenses as well.

Last edited: