• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ UEFA Champions League 2013/2014 ║

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pepe a doubt for Champions League final

402376_heroa.jpg

By Enis Koylu151
May 9, 2014 11:35:50 AM

The Portuguese defender is struggling with a calf problem and initial reports suggest that he could be ruled out of action for a fortnight

Real Madrid defender Pepe's participation in this month's Champions League final clash with Atletico Madrid has been thrown into doubt due to injury.

The Portugal international played all 90 minutes of Wednesday's 1-1 draw with Liga rivals Real Valladolid on Wednesday but tests on Friday revealed that he picked up a calf problem during the game at the Jose Zorrilla.

"After scans and image tests on Friday in the Hospital Sanitas La Moraleja, the player Pepe was been diagnosed with a grade one muscle injury in his left calf," a club statement read.

Madrid are yet to reveal the full extent of the damage, but initial reports claim that he will be sidelined for about two weeks, which would leave his participation in the May 24 meeting with Atleti in Lisbon in doubt.

Cristiano Ronaldo also limped off during the game at Valladolid, but Carlo Ancelotti was quick to emphasise that his injury was "not serious".

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Financial Fair Play decisions delayed until next week

By Keith Weir
LONDON Fri May 9, 2014 6:51pm BST

r

UEFA president Michel Platini attends a news conference after a meeting held in preparation of the EURO 2016 soccer tournament in Paris April 25, 2014. REUTERS/Jacky Naegelen

(Reuters) - UEFA is expected to announce early next week punishments for clubs including Paris St Germain and Manchester City that have breached new rules designed to make soccer more financially stable.

PSG and City face fines of 60 million euros (48.9 million pounds) and limits on the size of their Champions League squads for next season after falling foul of the Financial Fair Play regime.

Qatari-owned PSG are thought to have agreed a settlement along those lines but City, backed by cash from Abu Dhabi, have been disputing the sanctions and could opt to take their case to the next level in the process.

UEFA said last week that nine unnamed clubs faced punishment for failing to comply with rules forcing teams to limit their financial losses. Confirmation of the sanctions had been expected this week, but sources close to the process said there would be no statement on Friday.

The dilemma for City is that failure to agree a deal could expose them to the risk of being banned from the Champions League by the adjudicatory panel that would take up the case.

Many observers question the logic of fining mega-rich clubs for spending too much money and say UEFA must take strong action to ensure the regime is credible.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has called for clubs who break the rules to be excluded from Europe's top competition - the toughest sanction available.

"You would think you accept the rules and you're in the competition or you don’t accept the rules and you're not in the competition – then everybody would understand it," Wenger told British media.

PSG have spent heavily to recruit players like Zlatan Ibrahimovic and have just won the French league for a second successive season.

City, who have invested hundreds of millions of pounds since Sheikh Mansour bought the club in 2008, need only a point on Sunday to win the Premier League for the second time in the last three seasons.

(Writing by Keith Weir; editing by Justin Palmer)

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester City rise to pot two for next season's Champions League draw

385634_heroa.jpg

By Mike Keane
May 11, 2014 10:32:00 PM

The Premier League champions have been moved into pot two for next season's group stage draw, with Arsenal and Chelsea retaining their pot one status

Manchester City have risen from pot three to pot two for next season’s Champions League draw, a first for the newly crowned champions of England.

Having reached the knockout stages in this year’s competition, Premier League giants have earned enough points in Uefa’s ranking system - which is based on a club’s results in the competition over the previous five seasons - to move from pot three to pot two. The domestic troubles of the likes of AC Milan and Inter have also aided City's rise in the draw.

This will reduce the chances of City falling into another 'group of death', a fate that has seen them drawn in the same group as Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund and Real Madrid in their last two Champions League campaigns.

Despite their elevation, Manuel Pellegrini’s side remain below London clubs Arsenal and Chelsea, who, after earning enough points over the last few campaigns, have retained their pot one status.

Whilst this signals another step forward in the seemingly unstoppable rise of City, the Champions League draw will be markedly more difficult for Liverpool, who return to the competition for the first time in four years.

Brendan Rodgers' side will face the possibility of being drawn against European giants Bayern Munich and Juventus, or Paris Saint- Germain and Real Madrid, whilst a kinder draw would see them face Benfica or Porto from pot one.

As a result of their absence from the competition, the Merseysiders are 32nd in Uefa’s coefficient rankings, and will most likely be drawn from pot three in next season’s draw.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Real Madrid will fight to the death for la Decima, promises Perez

400755_heroa.jpg

By Andrew Wychrij
May 11, 2014 12:55:00 PM

The Blancos supremo says Carlo Ancelotti's men are relentlessly pursuing Champions League glory and are "sweating every drop" like tennis star Rafael Nadal

Florentino Perez says Real Madrid "will fight to the death" to claim their 10th European Cup against Atletico later this month.

Los Blancos have not featured in a Champions League final since beating Bayer Leverkusen in Glasgow 12 years ago but will face their city rivals in Lisbon on May 24.

Speaking whilst attending a tennis match between Rafael Nadal and Roberto Bautista Agut at the Madrid Masters, club president Perez admitted that everyone at the Santiago Bernabeu has become obsessed with being crowned champions of Europe for the 10th time.

"We will fight to the death to win la Decima," the 67-year-old told Spanish broadcaster La Sexta.

"We're sweating every drop to win the Champions League, as does Rafael Nadal in his matches."

Los Merengues have already secured the Copa del Rey this season with a 2-1 win over Barcelona in Apriil but have slipped to third in the race for La Liga with just two rounds remaining, meaning Perez is focusing all of his attention on Europe.

"To Real Madrid, the Champions League is a competition in which we have been very comfortable," the Blancos supremo stated.

"We owe it to our fans. We are going to do everything possible to win."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Gotze proud Bayern Munich don't 'park the bus' like Chelsea

404331_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
May 12, 2014 5:44:15 PM

The attacking midfielder feels that Pep Guardiola's side play football the way it should be played and says people should not forget they "dominated" against Real Madrid

Mario Gotze has admitted that Bayern Munich are still hurting after their Champions League heartbreak but says he remains proud that Pep Guardiola's men bowed out playing their possession-based brand of football rather than resorting to Chelsea's preferred tactic of 'parking the bus'.

The Bavarians were beaten 5-0 on aggregate by Real Madrid in this season's semi-finals, slumping to a shock 4-0 loss at the Allianz Arena less than a week after a narrow 1-0 defeat at the Santiago Bernabeu.

Guardiola and his players were criticised for placing too much importance on keeping the ball, but Gotze is glad that Bayern stuck to their attacking principles instead of trying to imitate the defensive tactics of a side like Chelsea, who were beaten 3-1 on aggregate by Atletico Madrid in the other last-four clash - despite battling their way to a dour 0-0 draw in the first leg at the Vicente Calderon.

"[The Madrid defeat] does hurt," Gotze told his club's official website. "We had a bad day in the second leg. But you shouldn't forget how we played at Real Madrid when we dominated the game for long periods.

"Obviously, you can do it like Chelsea did at Atletico and park the bus in your own penalty area. That's not our style. I'm firmly convinced we play football the way it should be played. And the way we play suits me perfectly."

However, Gotze's performances during his first season at the Allianz Arena following last summer's €37 million switch from Borussia Dortmund have been the subject of much debate, with some pundits arguing that he has played poorly, with others claiming that he has not been properly utilised by Guardiola.

Gotze, though, is pleased with his debut campaign with Bayern has gone, pointing out that he has had to cope with a number of physical problems.

"[Joining Bayern] was a big step for me, there's no doubt about that," the Germany international mused. "Unfortunately, it was difficult at the beginning due to injury.

"But I really fitted in after that. I feel at home here now and I'm proud to be part of FC Bayern. I hope I can stay fit and healthy. I've got big plans for next season.

"At the end of the day football is football. Of course, we play with a different philosophy here at Bayern. But my ability hasn't changed. I need to show what I can do and that's what matters."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ancelotti: I like the idea of delivering La Decima

399285_heroa.jpg

By Enis Koylu
May 13, 2014 3:46:00 PM

The Italian is honoured to have the chance to win be the coach who guides Real Madrid to their 10th Champions League in Lisbon on May 24

Carlo Ancelotti has admitted that he likes the idea of delivering an historic 10th Champions League to Real Madrid this season.

The Italian took over from Jose Mourinho last summer after the Spanish giants reached the semi-finals of the competition in each of the Portuguese's three seasons in Spain.

They have been waiting 12 years to win the tournament for the 10th time and Ancelotti is keen to make history by bringing the European Cup back to the Spanish capital in the final on May 24.

"Winning it would be a great achievement for the club; I like the idea of having the chance to make history at this great club by winning the Decima," he is quoted as saying by AS.

"The Champions League has given me a lot personally; this is the seventh final I've taken part in and I've won it four times. The chance to be the Real Madrid coach when the club wins the Decima is a big motivation.

"I am lucky because we are all extremely motivated. Everyone feels the same; the players, the club, the fans and myself. We are very close to doing it, but we know it won't be easy because Champions League finals are always very unpredictable.

"You don't play in the final of the Champions League every day, not every team has a chance to do this. We feel honoured because we have a chance to win the Decima."

Madrid face city rivals Atletico Madrid in the final and Ancelotti admits that he did not expect Diego Simeone's side to have such an extraordinary season.

"It’s going to be an open final. Both sides will want to show their quality. I don’t think Atletico will be out to spoil our game, and we won’t do that either.

"We’ll try to show off our football, as will Atletico, who are having an amazing season. They’ve taken everybody aback. Both of us know our qualities, so it’ll be a thrilling game."

The 54-year-old also feels that Cristiano Ronaldo's 16 goals have been the key to the run to the final and took the time to praise the Portuguese's consistency.

"I think he's in top form. But he has been for many years. That shows how professional he is and how professional he is about his football.

"He has been crucial for us in the Champions League; he has scored 16 goals. He has been a key player on the road to the final and will do everything possible to help us try to win it."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Decima is a dream for all of us - Bale

396756_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
May 14, 2014 6:44:00 PM

The Wales star, along with team-mates Luka Modric, Isco, Marcelo and Dani Carvajal, are eagerly awaiting the Champions League final showdown with Atletico Madrid

Real Madrid attacker Gareth Bale insists the entire squad share the supporters' dream of claiming a 10th European title.

The Spanish giants have not won the Champions League since 2002 but reached this season's final following a 5-0 aggregate thrashing of Bayern Munich in the semi-finals.

And Bale, who has already lifted the Copa del Rey in a successful first season at Santiago Bernabeu, says the whole of Carlo Ancelotti's team is eager to clinch La Decima against rivals Atletico Madrid.

"It will be a tough final," he told the press.

"La Decima is a dream not only for our fans, but also the club. It's a dream for all of us, but it will be a difficult game."

"We are just thinking about beating Atletico. We are focused on the game, and then we'll see how we celebrate it," added Bale's team-mate Luka Modric, while Brazilian full-back Marcelo said: "There is a lot of pressure and a lot of responsibility attached with playing in a European Cup final, but we are remaining calm and focused in order to enjoy ourselves and try to win the 10th title."

Midfielder Isco says he is "honoured" to have reached the final of Europe's top club competition, while Dani Carvajal is hopeful a strong showing in the Lisbon clash could be enough for him to force his way into Vicente del Bosque's 23-man Spain squad for the World Cup.

"We'll do everything possible to win the Champions League," said Isco.

"We all know that the Champions League is the most important competition in the world. For that reason it is an honour to play in the final and we will do everything we can to win it."

Carvajal added: "I'll do everything I can in order to make it into the definitive list of players for the World Cup.

"Now I'm trying to make the most of the moment. I'm delighted to be part of the provisional list for the World Cup and will do everything I can to make it into the definitive list, but the most important thing right now is the Champions League final."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Falcao: I want Atletico to win the Champions League

405093_heroa.jpg

May 15, 2014 12:00:00 PM

The Monaco striker is willing his former team-mates to triumph in Lisbon and is hopeful of recovering from injury in time to play for Colombia in the World Cup

EXCLUSIVE
By Alberto Pinero

Radamel Falcao hopes Atletico Madrid win the Champions League later this month - even if that means upsetting his friend Cristiano Ronaldo.

Falcao, who left Atletico after two seasons in Spain to join Monaco last summer, is sidelined after suffering a serious knee injury in January, but will be an interested spectator as the Rojiblancos meet Real Madrid in the European showpiece in Lisbon on May 24.

"The two teams are even and have the same chances of winning the final," the Colombian told Goal at a launch event for the new PUMA Tricks boot. "It will be a great game. There was already a derby last year in the Copa del Rey final and Atletico won.

"That shows that finals are different. I would like Atletico to win, of course. I have a great fondness for the club, for everything I experienced there, for my team-mates – and I will be supporting them.

"Cristiano knows what Atletico means to me. But I haven’t spoken about the final with him."

Despite his injury, Falcao was named in Colombia's provisional squad for the World Cup by coach Jose Pekerman and says he is hopeful of being fit in time to play a part in the competition next month.

"I feel really good," he said. "I’m progressing very quickly – and I’m really happy about that. In the next few weeks we’ll see what shape I’m in and we’ll make a definitive decision on whether it’s convenient or not for me to go to the World Cup.

"The World Cup is my engine and what keeps me going every day in my recovery. It has been one of my objectives this whole time.

"With the coach we have spoken about everything, but he has been very prudent as well in order to avoid putting me under pressure. He has said all along that the most important thing is the player’s health. Everything else comes after that.

"They are situations he knows how to control and he will make the decision when the moment arrives. It will all depend on how I am physically."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

PSG penalised for FFP breaches

406188_heroa.jpg

Harry West
May 16, 2014 9:43:00 PM

Paris-Saint Germain have been penalised for breaches of UEFA's Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules, it was announced on Friday.

The French champions have been hit with a fine of €60million, and their UEFA Champions League squad will be reduced to 21 players for next season.

Of PSG's fine, €40m will be returned to the club if they comply with the measures set by the Club Financial Control Body (CFCB), and a statement released by UEFA explained that the club had agreed to "significantly limit spending in the transfer market for seasons 2014-15 and 2015-16".

If PSG comply with the break-even targets set by the body, they will "gradually be released from the restriction as regards the registration of players in UEFA club competitions," European football's governing body added.

UEFA explained that the primary objective of the settlement was to make sure that PSG become break-even compliant "in a short space of time".

The statement added: "PSG undertakes to report a maximum break-even deficit of €30m for the financial year ending in 2015 and no break-even deficit for the financial year ending in 2016.

"The compliance with the settlement agreement will be subject to on-going and in depth monitoring, in accordance with the applicable rules.

"In this connection, PSG also undertakes to provide the CFCB with a progress report evidencing its compliance with all relevant conditions agreed on a six monthly basis."

PSG released a statement noting that they accept the measures, "in spite of the tremendous handicap they represent in terms of the club's ability to fully compete on an equal footing against Europe's biggest teams".

Manchester City were the other highest-profile club to be penalised by UEFA, while seven other clubs were also punished.

Turkish giants Galatasaray were among those named, as were their fellow Super Lig rivals Bursaspor and Trabzonspor.

Zenit, of the Russian Premier League, were fined €12m for being in breach of the rules, while Rubin Kazan, Anzhi, and Bulgarian outfit Levski Sofia were all given lesser fines.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester City fined €60m by Uefa for breaching FFP regulations

401591_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
May 16, 2014 8:02:00 PM

Manuel Pellegrini's squad for next season's Champions League has been restricted to 21 players, while the club have agreed to significantly reduce their transfer spend

Manchester City have been fined €60 million [£49m] by Uefa and will see their squad reduced to 21 players for next season’s Champions League for breaching Financial Fair Play regulations.

The club's €60m fine will be withheld from the Champions League revenue generated from this season and next term, while €40m [£32.5m] has been suspended and will be returned to City if they comply with the financial measures set by Uefa.

City, who have accepted the sanctions from Uefa, have also agreed to "significantly limit spending in the transfer market for seasons 2014/2015 and 2015/2016" and will restrict their net spend in this summer's window to €60m.

City insist the spending limit on new players "will have no material impact on the club’s planned transfer activity".

Despite posting figures outside the financial regulations, City maintain their wage bill will remain the same next season but claim there will be a “natural decline” after that period.

City revealed in a statement that they are now break even and will be profitable next season.

Uefa confirms that if the club meet their break-even target, the 21-man squad restriction will be lifted for the 2015/16 campaign.

As well as City, Paris Saint-Germain, Zenit St Petersburg, Rubin Kazan, Anzhi Makhachkala, Galatasaray, Bursaspor, Trabzonspor and Levski Sofia all failed to meet FFP regulations and have been sanctioned.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bale excited ahead of first Champions League final

406533_heroa.jpg

By Peter McVitie
May 18, 2014 10:24:00 AM

The Wales international has enjoyed a positive debut season with Real Madrid and is looking forward to facing Diego Simeone's Spanish champions in Portugal

Gareth Bale says he cannot wait to play in his first Champions League final as Real Madrid prepare to battle Atletico Madrid for the ultimate prize in club football.

The Welshman has enjoyed a bright debut season with the Spanish giants, having played a key role in their run to the Lisbon showpiece following his €100 million move from Tottenham Hotspur.

Bale says he is excited about the clash with city rivals and La Liga champions Atletico, adding he has loved his first season at the club.

"I'm very excited about playing in my first Champions League final and we will work very hard to prepare for it," he told Madrid's official website.

"I'm really enjoying my first season at Real Madrid and hopefully I can end the season with another title."

The 24-year-old then turned his attention to Saturday's 3-1 in over Espanyol, in which he opened the scoring in the absence of the team's talisman Cristiano Ronaldo.

"The most important thing against Espanyol was to win in front of our fans," said Bale.

"We did it and I'm happy to have scored again, especially at the Santiago Bernabeu."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ibrahimovic: I don't need to win the Champions League to be successful

404019_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
May 16, 2014 9:51:00 AM

The PSG attacker feels he can be proud of his medal collection to date in his career and admits he is disappointed not to be playing at the World Cup

Paris Saint-Germain striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic admits he is still determined to win the Champions League - but says he can be considered a success without it.

Ibrahimovic has won domestic titles in Netherlands, Italy, Spain and France, but has yet to win Europe's top prize, with PSG beaten this season on away goals by Chelsea after suffering the same fate against Barcelona in 2012-13.

Ibrahimovic refuses to give up hopes of European club football's top trophy, but says he can still be proud of his collection of winners' medals to date.

"I haven’t won the Champions League yet. I would like to win it, but that’s not easy," the Sweden international said at a press conference.

"Still, if I stop playing tomorrow, I will have 22 trophies in my cabinet.

"I will be happy and will call myself a fairly successful footballer."

Ibrahimovic missed out on the Fifa Ballon d'Or earlier this year as Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and Franck Ribery made up the final three-man shortlist, but the PSG star feels this summer's World Cup will give a definite answer on who is the best player on the planet.

"No one in particular could be called the world's best player now. Several players are doing very well. There's [Cristiano] Ronaldo, ]Lione] Messi and even [Luis] Suarez to name just a few exceptional performers.

"But the decisive moment will come at the World Cup. It would all depend upon how well they perform for their respective countries in Brazil. There you will have the final answer."

The Sweden international admits he is devastated not to be taking part in Brazil after his side were beaten by Ronaldo's Portugal in the playoff round, but he expects the host nation to seal glory when he watches on this summer..

"I think Brazil have a strong chance of winning the World Cup this time. Absolutely. It will be very difficult for European nations to perform well in South American conditions. Brazil will definitely have the home advantage," he said.

"It was personally a very difficult time for me not to be part of the tournament. At the same time, it now gives me the opportunity to train much harder and keep myself fit for the next season and give it my best shot."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Uefa: FFP fines will be distributed to clubs

404763_heroa.jpg

By Matthew Rogerson
May 17, 2014 12:38:00 PM

The European football governing body has revealed the money raised from penalising clubs such as Paris Saint-Germain will be split between other teams as solidarity payments

UEFA has confirmed that any money raised from Financial Fair Play fines, such as those received by Manchester City, will be distributed to clubs rather than kept by the organisation.

The first round of punishments were handed out on Friday to clubs that have breached the regulations, with City and Paris Saint-Germain the most high-profile teams to be sanctioned.

Both clubs were fined €60 million and their UEFA Champions League squad will be reduced to 21 players for next season.

Super Lig trio Galatasaray, Bursaspor and Trabzonspor were also penalised as well as Zenit, of the Russian Premier League, Rubin Kazan, Anzhi and Levski Sofia.

Responding to questions from the media as to where the money generated from the fines will go, Pedro Pinto, UEFA's chief of press and official spokesperson, revealed it will be redistributed to clubs.

"In reply to media queries regarding financial contributions of clubs relating to Financial Fair Play-UEFA will not keep any of the money," he stated via his Twitter account.

"UEFA will distribute money from financial contributions by making solidarity payments to other European clubs. Formula for redistribution of funds will be decided by UEFA and its Executive Committee in due course."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Simeone waiting on Costa fitness

407814_heroa.jpg

By Matthew Rogerson
May 20, 2014 8:12:00 AM

The Atletico Madrid coach is still hoping that the 25-year-old could feature against Real Madrid on Saturday, despite picking up a hamstring injury

Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone is refusing to rule star striker Diego Costa out of Saturday's Champions League final against Real Madrid.

The Spain international lasted just 16 minutes during Saturday's 1-1 draw with Barcelona, which won his side La Liga for the first time since 1996.

The club confirmed that he had a grade one hamstring injury, Simeone is still holding out hope that the 25-year-old could yet recover in time to face his side's arch rivals this weekend.

"We still have some days to go and I'm not going to say anything yet. It is too soon," he told reporters.

"We'll wait on the injury news from Costa and Arda until the end of the week. If necessary, we'll opt for alternatives as needed.

"This is not a game for players who are at 80 per cent. Obviously, we need players who are in good condition."

Simeone has told his troops that any lapse of concentration could cost them against Carlo Ancelotti's men.

"We arrive with a major motivation and desire. It will be a close game," he added.

"On Saturday we need 100% attention. I'm sure the players will respond as they have always responded."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ancelotti confirms Ronaldo, Bale will start final

AFP Updated May 21, 2014, 2:28 am

r

Madrid (AFP) - Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti insisted both Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale will start for his side in the Champions League final against Atletico Madrid on Saturday despite ongoing injury worries.

Both players joined Karim Benzema and Pepe in not training with the rest of their teammates on Tuesday morning with Ronaldo the only one to take to the field as he did his own light workout.

However, Ancelotti is sure the two most expensive players in the world will line-up at the Estadio da Luz in Lisbon.

"Bale didn't train because he did specific work in the gym. We preferred that he did that work in the gym and he didn't need to go out onto the field.

"The two of them are going to play. That is what is important for us."

Ronaldo himself claimed that despite missing much of Real's unsuccessful chase for the La Liga title in recent weeks, he will be back to full fitness for the clash in his homeland.

"These things can happen. We train every day and play ever weekend and midweek, so it is normal that sometimes the body reacts negatively. I have had some bad luck and small problems towards the end of the season, but it is normal," said the World Player of the Year.

"Every player in the world suffers from injuries and the important thing is I feel good and come Saturday I will be at my best level."

Bale also insisted his absence on Tuesday was nothing to worry about.

"Obviously I didn't play for two games prior to the weekend so it was just a bit of recovery work," said the Welshman.

"It is quite normal to miss a day during the week and we have four days until the final."

Ancelotti, though, was less confident on the state of Benzema and Pepe.

Benzema hobbled off with an abductor injury in Real's 3-1 win over Espanyol at the weekend, whilst Pepe has been out of action since suffering a calf strain two weeks ago.

"They are the only two players we have doubts about. At the moment I am not pessimistic nor optimistic. We have four days to take a final decision over the doubts we have for the game."

Real and Atletico have already met four times this season with Ancelotti's men emerging victorious 5-0 on aggregate in the Copa del Rey semi-finals, whilst Atletico had the upper hand on their way to winning a first La Liga title for 18 years.

And Ancelotti is expecting a tight encounter given the similarity between the teams.

"There are no secrets for this game. The two teams know each other very well. As in all finals it will be a balanced game," he said.

However, he batted away suggestions that Real were under more pressure to win in Lisbon given their failure to win La Liga.

"I am proud to reach the final with Real Madrid. I don't feel pressure, I am just happy to be a part of this moment.

"The work we have done in the Champions League has been very good. It was our objective at the start of the season to reach the Champions League final and many teams have to watch it on the television. We have the luck to be playing in it."

Last edited:

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Casillas: Madrid fans have suffered enough

408270_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
May 21, 2014 11:44:00 AM

The Spain international is determined to give the Santiago Bernabeu side's supporters reasons to celebrate in Lisbon after being wait 12 years for La Decima

Iker Casillas is desperate to win Saturday's Champions League final against Atletico Madrid in order to end the Real Madrid fans' suffering.

The Blancos have been striving for their 10th European Cup title ever since the 2-1 win over Bayer Leverkusen in 2002 and their club captain is hoping Carlo Ancelotti's men can finally bring home La Decima for their supporters this weekend.

"I want us to win for the Madrid fans, who have suffered a lot in recent years. I hope we do it for them," Casillas was quoted as saying on the official Madrid website.

"But it's not going to be an easy match. We're facing an exceptional opponent.

"I want our supporters to feel proud of the team. We want it to be a nice spectacle, to win the Decima and for everyone to celebrate together.

"Hopefully I can lift the trophy; it would be a wonderful moment for everyone, a fantastic end-of-season party.

"It would also mean winning two titles this year, which is very difficult to do. We're preparing for the match with desire, determination and respect for our opponents."

Madrid won the Copa del Rey at the expense of Barcelona earlier this term, while they had to settle for third spot in La Liga behind Atletico Madrid and Barcelona.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Real Madrid will really miss Alonso, says Morientes

408530_heroa.jpg

May 21, 2014 9:29:00 AM

The 38-year-old has highlighted the importance of the Spain international to Carlo Ancelotti's side, not least because he feels that Atleti are very strong in midfield

Former Real Madrid striker Fernando Morientes believes the Santiago Bernabeu side will sorely miss Xabi Alonso in Saturday's Champions League final against Atletico Madrid.

The midfielder picked up a yellow card in Los Blancos' 4-0 second-leg semi-final win over Bayern Munich, ruling him out of Saturday's showpiece in Lisbon, and Morientes says Alonso is a massive loss for Carlo Ancelotti's side.

"He offers his team good balance and has been their driving force," the former Madrid striker told Fifa.com.

"He's such a crucial player so Madrid will really miss him."

The ex-Spain international then went on to state that the availability of Real Madrid ace Cristiano Ronaldo and Atletico hotshot Diego Costa - both of whom are injury doubts - could prove decisive, though he was at pains to point out that neither side is reliant upon their top scorer.

"When you think about who could really make the difference on the night, the forwards stand out, with Cristiano Ronaldo and Diego Costa the most dangerous," Morientes mused.

"But you have to appreciate the contributions made in other areas of the pitch. Sergio Ramos and Pepe are crucial at the back for Real Madrid and both are in outstanding form.

"For Atletico it's more about the midfield, where Gabi and Arda Turan have brought good balance to their play."

Morientes also praised Ancelotti for what he had achieved in less than a year with the Liga giants, who have already claimed the Copa del Rey this season.

"He's brought an air of calm to the team, which was need

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Real Madrid are clear favourites, insists Atletico's Suarez

408050_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
May 20, 2014 11:22:00 PM

Atletico Madrid midfielder Mario Suarez insists city rivals Real are favourites to win the Champions League final in Lisbon on Saturday

Atletico Madrid midfielder Mario Suarez believes that city rivals Real are the "clear favourites" going into Saturday's Champions League final.

The Rojiblancos were crowned champions of Spain last weekend courtesy of a 1-1 draw at Barcelona, with Los Blancos coming home in third place.

However, Suarez believes that in spite of Atletico's Liga title triumph, Diego Simeone's side have to be considered underdogs against a Real side that is bidding to win the European Cup for the 10th time.

"They are clear favourites to win; they are used to playing these type of matches," the 27-year-old told reporters ahead of what is just Atletico's second ever appearance in the final.

"They are favourites to win just like they were in La Liga. But we've given our all and we are a team that plays with a lot of intensity, so we are going to fight to win as we always do but they are favourites to win.

"I personally don't care what people say. We are going to do what we always do and that is to play football, work hard, be humble and give 100 per cent in the match.

"We'll see what happens when the match is over and who ends up celebrating."

Meanwhile, Filipe Luis believes that Atletico's supporters can inspire them to victory, just as they did in the Copa del Rey final at the Santiago Bernabeu 12 months ago.

"The fans' chanting is very important for us, like in the cup, although that was different because it was in Real Madrid's stadium," he said.

"The final in Bucharest against Athletic Bilbao [in the 2011-12 Europa League] was great because we could feel our fans chanting a lot more and that helped us and motivated us.

"I don't know how Lisbon will be, but I have no doubt that our fans will support us and will chant the whole match.

"I think that if they do as they've done in the past it will influence us positively in our match."

Hoeness

Alfrescian
Loyal

Atletico need to fight to the death, says Koke

409825_heroa.jpg

May 23, 2014 12:48:00 PM

The Spain international is prepared to put every last ounce of physical exertion into Saturday's final and has called upon his team-mates to follow his lead

Koke has called for Atletico Madrid to "fight to the death" when they face city rivals Real Madrid in Saturday's Champions League final in Lisbon.

Atletico claimed a first La Liga title since 1996 with a 1-1 draw at Barcelona last Saturday and have the chance to make it a memorable double with victory at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon this weekend.

However, Atletico will face a Real Madrid side motivated by the prospect of winning Europe's premier club competition for a 10th time and Koke believes Diego Simeone will be the underdogs.

"We have to be super-concentrated to beat Real Madrid," Koke told AS. "They have one of the best squads in the world and it will be very, very, very difficult to play against them.

"We were able to win at the Bernabeu and draw at the Calderon in La Liga this season, but they eliminated us from the Copa del Rey. It will be a very tight match where we will have to fight as if it were the last game of our lives.

"They are the favourites with such a large staff and all that money, but we will play with our humility, our heart and our will.

"They have one of the best attacks that there is. The entire team will have to defend to death."

Koke has been linked with moves to Barcelona and Manchester United, but the 22-year-old insists he has no desire to leave his boyhood club.

He added: "I am very happy here in my home and there is nothing more to say."

Hoeness

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ronaldo's great but so am I - Courtois

384660_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
May 23, 2014 10:37:00 AM

The Belgium international is determined to deny the prolific attacker and has warned his side not to make the same mistakes as Bayern Munich in this week's final

Atletico Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois has insisted he does not fear Cristiano Ronaldo ahead of Saturday's Champions League final against Real Madrid.

The Portugal international has been in sublime form in Europe so far this season, netting 16 goals in 10 appearances, but Courtois is confident he has what it takes to deny the prolific attacker in this weekend's showpiece in Lisbon.

"I will not prepare in some special way for Ronaldo. I do not have any fear for him," Courtois was quoted as saying by Sport Bild.

"Of course, he is a great player, but I am a great goalkeeper as well..."

Courtois then went on to stress that Atletico cannot afford to make the same mistakes Bayern Munich made in the semi-finals against Madrid and feels they should aim to put in a performance similar to that of Borussia Dortmund in the quarter-finals.

"We should learn from Dortmund's second-leg display against Madrid. They showed how it's done.

"Bayern's tactics were silly. They copied Barcelona's style of play and Madrid know all about this philosophy.

"Their players only need a few seconds to cross the entire pitch. They have the perfect weapon against possession-based football."

Atletico and Real Madrid have met four times so far this season, with Diego Simeone's men winning once, losing twice and drawing the remaining game.