• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Medini (Nusajaya) Community

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Small investors like us, prefer to play on level field.

No point playing in a field while other pay 1 cent, and we pay a dollar.

Alot of plantation owners are conned to sold land at penny in JB. those land are worthless and sold to unaware investors for a king ransom.

just beware, we singaporeans are a stupid bunch. worldwide recognised.

A big corporation bought a piece at billion does not mean anything, they may be as dumb as us.

Singaporeans are easily taken in by sweet words and advertisements. They also don't think hard and far enough. I think most Singaporeans have been made dumb by the government. What they say, we must follow. Don't ask questions. You protest, you will be punished. So many have "follow the herd" mentality. Many still get cheated by all sort of scams.

Yes, big corporations, developers and even the Singapore government make mistakes. Some went in blindly confident that because XXX is there, my investment can't be wrong. Or the more people say it is going to fail, the more I will want to invest in the place. That's asking for big trouble.

Medini has never been a place for residential investment. At least that's what the authorities themselves admitted. It's the greed of buyers that made developers also play the game of building so many condos. The whole place is originally meant for commercial, industrial, and other businesses. These didn't take off well so some of them switched to residential after seeing foreigners rushing in the buy.

Now the properties in Medini are all stuck at high prices. It's almost impossible to exit the market any more.

But if one buys to stay there and enjoy the place, then it's a different story.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
I no longer buying in Malaysia. Now my radar is moving elsewhere. (take note)

Small investors like us, prefer to play on level field. (I am only interested in zone A. Period)

Do you have any in Malaysia? You avoiding it because you're not confident of it any more?

You interested in Zone A only is it because it has all the amenities already there, and so higher chance of rental and capital appreciation?

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sounds good.

Do you all think in future, Iskandar Puteri can become like Singapore's Shenton Way?

I think got potential to be better, more like Melbourne. Good jobs in the CBD, lifestyle living on broader Johor. Should strive to be Melbourne of ASEAN. The combination of Johor and Singapore can be a potent force. Unlike other cities, our area is blessed with no natural disaster, no typhoon, no earth quake, no extreme weather. Strategically situated on the main trading route, why do you think the Chinese dump money here? Plenty of rain fall so no water shortage problem. Except for the humidity, I cannot think of another area that is more naturally blessed, well balanced. Humidity can be solved by air conditioning or living high up.
With wisdom from the leaders, this Johor-Singapore tag team can provide first world safe living for a good 20 million people. If we ever to do it, this will be the time. Singapore is economically mature and has plenty to offer on how to build a successful city. Johor has open minded and wise leaders.
Of course, this is just my opinion.

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think got potential to be better, more like Melbourne. Good jobs in the CBD, lifestyle living on broader Johor. Should strive to be Melbourne of ASEAN. The combination of Johor and Singapore can be a potent force. Unlike other cities, our area is blessed with no natural disaster, no typhoon, no earth quake, no extreme weather. Strategically situated on the main trading route, why do you think the Chinese dump money here? Plenty of rain fall so no water shortage problem. Except for the humidity, I cannot think of another area that is more naturally blessed, well balanced. Humidity can be solved by air conditioning or living high up.
With wisdom from the leaders, this Johor-Singapore tag team can provide first world safe living for a good 20 million people. If we ever to do it, this will be the time. Singapore is economically mature and has plenty to offer on how to build a successful city. Johor has open minded and wise leaders.

Wow you are so optimistic, even a local boy like me somewhat agree but not until that level. lol. JB downtown will progress, yes, compared to Raffles Place/Shenton Way? errrr, kinda don't think so.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow you are so optimistic, even a local boy like me somewhat agree but not until that level. lol. JB downtown will progress, yes, compared to Raffles Place/Shenton Way? errrr, kinda don't think so.

Maybe the fact that JB will always lag behind SG is the disparity factor that will act in Singaporean's favour (sorry, no offense meant to JB folks)?

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ha ha why don't just go to invest in Melbourne? Like I did, rather then hope and wish stone can turn to gold.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Memories of the past.... It's been over 10 years and it's amazing to see how the SG landscape has developed and changed so much. The black and white photo looks like it was taken in the '80s but it's actually not that long ago.

I wonder if Medini will also be transformed to something so vibrant in the next 10-15 years.

SG%202000-2016_zps2vv4hhs1.jpg

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Memories of the past.... It's been over 10 years and it's amazing to see how the SG landscape has developed and changed so much. The black and white photo looks like it was taken in the '80s but it's actually not that long ago.

I wonder if Medini will also be transformed to something so vibrant in the next 10-15 years.

SG%202000-2016_zps2vv4hhs1.jpg

Impressive but funny that the 2000's pic is black and white? lol

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hmmm....maybe if have photos of JB (e.g. Puteri Harbour) 10 years ago and now, can compare and see the changes? I am sure there have been significant changes since 2006. And I believe 2026 should look quite different from 2016 too.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
im still waiting for someones to say the grey photo is e future of jb..and the color photo is present :p

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Impressive but funny that the 2000's pic is black and white? lol
Apologises for going off topic.

Looking at the 2000 pic, I wonder in relation to Country Garden, how long was the interim period before reclamation to actual building of MBS. Anyone knows? ( Moderator please remove if this was inappropriately posted in this thread chat. Thank you.)

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Apologises for going off topic.

Looking at the 2000 pic, I wonder in relation to Country Garden, how long was the interim period before reclamation to actual building of MBS. Anyone knows? ( Moderator please remove if this was inappropriately posted in this thread chat. Thank you.)

I heard it mentioned b4 at least 10 years to settle for Marina Bay. This article says 20 years but not sure if it is referring to Marina area.

http://www.wildsingapore.com/news/20070304/070309-5.htm

Apparently, it is possible for reclaimed land to sink, like Tokyo airport.

For Country Garden (CG), is it true they only waited 1 or 2 years for the sand to settle? Well, it's a China developer who is building it. What do you associate or expect with China? These guys try to make things happen at all cost. I've seen a you tube video of a whole apartment in China collapse due to poor construction.

I'd avoid CG at all costs. Not just because it's overcrowded, cramped, in oversupply but this land reclamation thing is indeed a cause of worry.

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
I heard it mentioned b4 at least 10 years to settle for Marina Bay. This article says 20 years but not sure if it is referring to Marina area.

http://www.wildsingapore.com/news/20070304/070309-5.htm

Apparently, it is possible for reclaimed land to sink, like Tokyo airport.

For Country Garden (CG), is it true they only waited 1 or 2 years for the sand to settle? Well, it's a China developer who is building it. What do you associate or expect with China? These guys try to make things happen at all cost. I've seen a you tube video of a whole apartment in China collapse due to poor construction.

I'd avoid CG at all costs. Not just because it's overcrowded, cramped, in oversupply but this land reclamation thing is indeed a cause of worry.

Thank you for the update.

What is puzzling to me is Singapore which is just a "stone's throw" has had at least 20 years of reclamation "expertise" and most of the outer edges of Singapore are reclaimed land. There's a "patient waiting" period before building of any sorts are allowed much less anything higher than 2 Storeys.
I recalled those days when BEDOK was seafront property with beautiful beaches and even some good seafood restaurants sited there. Coming to the present day, we have East Coast Park and associated entertainment and food venues. The only TALL buildings I see are off the left of the ECP if going towards Changi, Mandarin Gardens et al.
I tell and give examples to my SG friends who look to buy properties in Johore, and inform them "Politics aside",in Malaysia, apartments are "Life Style Living" unless they buy something in Puteri Harbour which is something else. There is vast amount of land, why pay Rm 1 - 3mil for owing "space in the air" when they could own a nice house with a garden in a GG development.
Now there is CG and FC ( Forest City ) where building of apartments is done as soon as reclamation is done ???? What's the rush to buy these properties. I don't think this is wise investment choice long term or much less short term flipping. These investors have not thought through the consequences of these hastily built apartments, profits accrue to the developer. Investors have Long term to even cash in on purchase assuming ALL the State investment come to fruition??

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you for the update.

What is puzzling to me is Singapore which is just a "stone's throw" has had at least 20 years of reclamation "expertise" and most of the outer edges of Singapore are reclaimed land. There's a "patient waiting" period before building of any sorts are allowed much less anything higher than 2 Storeys.
I recalled those days when BEDOK was seafront property with beautiful beaches and even some good seafood restaurants sited there. Coming to the present day, we have East Coast Park and associated entertainment and food venues. The only TALL buildings I see are off the left of the ECP if going towards Changi, Mandarin Gardens et al.
I tell and give examples to my SG friends who look to buy properties in Johore, and inform them "Politics aside",in Malaysia, apartments are "Life Style Living" unless they buy something in Puteri Harbour which is something else. There is vast amount of land, why pay Rm 1 - 3mil for owing "space in the air" when they could own a nice house with a garden in a GG development.
Now there is CG and FC ( Forest City ) where building of apartments is done as soon as reclamation is done ???? What's the rush to buy these properties. I don't think this is wise investment choice long term or much less short term flipping. These investors have not thought through the consequences of these hastily built apartments, profits accrue to the developer. Investors have Long term to even cash in on purchase assuming ALL the State investment come to fruition??

Investing aside, I think if there are people wanting to buy JB properties, my humble opinion is that they should buy those that they can already see and touch and really like, i.e those completed or near completion, and where there is already existing residential population and amenities nearby. Avoid mega mass condo projects if possible.

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Investing aside, I think if there are people wanting to buy JB properties, my humble opinion is that they should buy those that they can already see and touch and really like, i.e those completed or near completion, and where there is already existing residential population and amenities nearby. Avoid mega mass condo projects if possible.

Mega projects has its selling point (integrated convenience, one stop shop, etc) but not for everyone. Evaluate what you really want and go in with eyes open.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans are too used to super expensive and small condos in SG. Some could be overwhelmed by landed houses as they don't know how to maintain such huge areas. So when they realized they could buy a condo in Danga Bay, Forest City and Medini for a fraction of what they could get in SG, they thought it is a good investment.

What they don't know is, Johor condos don't work the same way as SG condos. Those condos the investors bought are too expensive in the local Johor context.

Some buyers may have been living in HDB flats all their lives So may be they thought it is worth it to get a condo in Iskandar. But what they don't know again is, they may not be able to sell them away next time.

Other condo landlords become desperate when they can't find tenants. So they resort to short stay rentals which usually give them negative returns and more headaches.

Yes it's more of a lifestyle home. But one should be prepared to hold for a very long time... or even forever.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal

Reminds me of a Lotus 123 Software WYSISYG "What You See Is What You Get"

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans are too used to super expensive and small condos in SG. Some could be overwhelmed by landed houses as they don't know how to maintain such huge areas. So when they realized they could buy a condo in Danga Bay, Forest City and Medini for a fraction of what they could get in SG, they thought it is a good investment.

What they don't know is, Johor condos don't work the same way as SG condos. Those condos the investors bought are too expensive in the local Johor context.

Some buyers may have been living in HDB flats all their lives So may be they thought it is worth it to get a condo in Iskandar. But what they don't know again is, they may not be able to sell them away next time.

Other condo landlords become desperate when they can't find tenants. So they resort to short stay rentals which usually give them negative returns and more headaches.

Yes it's more of a lifestyle home. But one should be prepared to hold for a very long time... or even forever.

If the buyer has bought a choice unit in the condo of his liking, and also one that his wife also likes, he can always explore living in JB and rent out his HDB, turning the SG flat into the investment property. Even higher ROI! Of course this would also mean that they are willing to accept the inconvenience of the daily work commute.