• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Medini (Nusajaya) Community

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't mean buy for own occupancy but for investment. Cos I've heard some saying "property will appreciate". So be it Iskandar or other countries, even if SG if one can afford it, it's a no-brainer to just put down the money and years later, it will grow?

Properties generally appreciate over time, don't they? Of course there will be times when prices dip and there may be exceptions (or maybe to some JB will always be the exception LOL!) but generally speaking, the long term trend is that properties prices/values will go up. Maybe a question of how steep the gradient is?

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Properties generally appreciate over time, don't they? Of course there will be times when prices dip and there may be exceptions (or maybe to some JB will always be the exception LOL!) but generally speaking, the long term trend is that properties prices/values will go up. Maybe a question of how steep the gradient is?

That's why I'm wondering if it's so simple.

I've a friend who told me an agent approached him recently. Advised him to buy a property in SG. Reasoning is that prices may still be high now but it will be even higher next time! So now is a good time to buy. Reap profits later. Treat it like a regular "savings plan". I told him to think carefully.

So if say a person has S$300k in cash or rather, over the next 20 years, can afford to fork out S$300k slowly via bank loan, does it make sense to put the money now on an Iskandar condo to invest? Then when the time comes, he can sell it away at a profit.

Why bother putting money in Fixed D at a pathetic interest rate or risk the money in other investments like the stock market?

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's why I'm wondering if it's so simple.

I've a friend who told me an agent approached him recently. Advised him to buy a property in SG. Reasoning is that prices may still be high now but it will be even higher next time! So now is a good time to buy. Reap profits later. Treat it like a regular "savings plan". I told him to think carefully.

So if say a person has S$300k in cash or rather, over the next 20 years, can afford to fork out S$300k slowly via bank loan, does it make sense to put the money now on an Iskandar condo to invest? Then when the time comes, he can sell it away at a profit.

Why bother putting money in Fixed D at a pathetic interest rate or risk the money in other investments like the stock market?

Maybe the "tai-Kor" here like Tekkun or Xebay can share their answers to your question.:p

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe the "tai-Kor" here like Tekkun or Xebay can share their answers to your question.:p

Frodo, thank you for throwing the ball to me. :p
I cannot advise what is good for you and what is bad as everyone has his own way of investing and how he see things. I can only give you my way of investing in properties.

Investing in properties is like investing in shares. There are true blue chips yet there are penny stocks. I prefer to invest in true blue chips like London or KL. Then of course, I also dabble a little bit in penny stocks like Iskandar. Then again, I also spread my risks around in putting my money in foreign currencies as RM is very unstable but these are not for making money but protecting its value. I see S$ as a stable currency, therefore I buy Singapore bank bonds and low risk unit trusts. In a nut shell, that is how I see things.
Interestingly I'm not bothered in the ROI of foreign currency trading but rather to minimise forex risks.

On properties, it is all about accumulation over years. You do not make money over night on properties. My rules are simple. Just buy where there is limited developing land eg Penang island, of course Singapore or prime waterfront land like Puteri Harbour :smile: Then go micro selection ie the actual site, the neighbours, the facings, etc. Don't just say location. Very important is the particular unit within the same well located development. Just don't go buying super expensive ones. Asking prices is one thing, actual transacted is another. So don't be fooled by salesmen especially in the secondary market.

Start small. My first unit is a low cost house RM 43,500 in 1984. I rented it out for RM550/ mth to a same tenant for the last 20 years. No increase ever since and no problem in collecting rental as well. Market value is now at RM 250k. 2nd unit is a terrace house, bought in 1992 at RM 139k. Market value now is 800k. 3rd unit light industrial factory in 2003 at RM 480k. Value today is RM 2.0m...and so forth.
London properties is good too. I had one property which made GBP 200k paper gain per official valuation as required by UK tax department and piling just started. And my total portfolio todate is just short of magic 10.

Money is just a figure in the bank. There's no value unless it is converted into something. So for me, this is my way of converting the figures into something more anti inflationary. There's really no right or wrong answers to this. So it depends how you see it. For this very reason, you don't see me criticising others for any form of investments. Good luck....Happy MERDEKA!!

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Frodo, thank you for throwing the ball to me. :p
I cannot advise what is good for you and what is bad as everyone has his own way of investing and how he see things. I can only give you my way of investing in properties.

Investing in properties is like investing in shares. There are true blue chips yet there are penny stocks. I prefer to invest in true blue chips like London or KL. Then of course, I also dabble a little bit in penny stocks like Iskandar. Then again, I also spread my risks around in putting my money in foreign currencies as RM is very unstable but these are not for making money but protecting its value. I see S$ as a stable currency, therefore I buy Singapore bank bonds and low risk unit trusts. In a nut shell, that is how I see things.
Interestingly I'm not bothered in the ROI of foreign currency trading but rather to minimise forex risks.

On properties, it is all about accumulation over years. You do not make money over night on properties. My rules are simple. Just buy where there is limited developing land eg Penang island, of course Singapore or prime waterfront land like Puteri Harbour :smile: Then go micro selection ie the actual site, the neighbours, the facings, etc. Don't just say location. Very important is the particular unit within the same well located development. Just don't go buying super expensive ones. Asking prices is one thing, actual transacted is another. So don't be fooled by salesmen especially in the secondary market.

Start small. My first unit is a low cost house RM 43,500 in 1984. I rented it out for RM550/ mth to a same tenant for the last 20 years. No increase ever since and no problem in collecting rental as well. Market value is now at RM 250k. 2nd unit is a terrace house, bought in 1992 at RM 139k. Market value now is 800k. 3rd unit light industrial factory in 2003 at RM 480k. Value today is RM 2.0m...and so forth.
London properties is good too. I had one property which made GBP 200k paper gain per official valuation as required by UK tax department and piling just started. And my total portfolio todate is just short of magic 10.

Money is just a figure in the bank. There's no value unless it is converted into something. So for me, this is my way of converting the figures into something more anti inflationary. There's really no right or wrong answers to this. So it depends how you see it. For this very reason, you don't see me criticising others for any form of investments. Good luck....Happy MERDEKA!!

Thanks for sharing your insights into personal portfolio investing. Peasants like me have a looooooonnnngggg way to go! :p

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for sharing your insights into personal portfolio investing. Peasants like me have a looooooonnnngggg way to go! :p

One step at a time. As long as there's hope, you will make it. When I first started, I was only renting a room. At least you started, not many dare to do so yet.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
My dad started off like you, bought 3 room flat in Toa Payoh for $7k and booked semi detached house for $40k, rented it out and it was self paying, later he sold the 3 room flat for $14k and we moved into the landed house, after 5 years he fully paid the landed house and he went into business, the business needed to have factory, like Tekkun....and to cut the long story short, the rest is history as we diversified from good engineering business into property investment.

My biggest regret though, is not going into coffeeshop business. Those days can easily get good coffeeshop for about $1m, now they are all 2 digit millions with Bukit Batok one going for $35m.

You kidding...that "kuay chap" corner coffeeshop at Bukit Batok is worth so many millions?

rotikok

Alfrescian
Loyal

Whether a place in long run can appreciate, depend on 2 factors: population growth and income growth. Ppty price will grow in value over time is a fallacy, u try buy ppty in Detrioit US and see, industry falter, ppl running away.

The problem with unlimited land area, non island like iskandar, is that income growth much more important than population growth in order for ppty price to rise.

Oh ya, one more thing not to make loss in ppty investment, never buy overpriced thing, this one very abstract, u think expensive, later rise in value even more. So sometimes really need experience to judge.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
You kidding...that "kuay chap" corner coffeeshop at Bukit Batok is worth so many millions?

The one near St Luke's Hospital sold for $35 million, original owner who I know the son personally in Oz paid about $6 m, only. You think this can happen in Malaysia?