• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Medini (Nusajaya) Community

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
My view is that 5 years down the road, Iskandar will see good prospect. However, from now till then, there will be a deep crash due to oversupply. That's why my friends (investors) and I are waiting. I intend to invest together with others so that we can buy more units to spread risk. You know it is time when you see lower-than-developer price in open market.

You must be Malaysian to take advantage of the crash, foreigners have to buy RM 1 million.

jbrts

Alfrescian
Loyal
You must be Malaysian to take advantage of the crash, foreigners have to buy RM 1 million.

I am Malaysian, not sure will still be at that time :smile: Most of my partners are not. We intend to use a holding company. I think we will focus on commercial such as shop or factory.

rotikok

Alfrescian
Loyal
My view is that 5 years down the road, Iskandar will see good prospect. However, from now till then, there will be a deep crash due to oversupply. That's why my friends (investors) and I are waiting. I intend to invest together with others so that we can buy more units to spread risk. You know it is time when you see lower-than-developer price in open market.
Demand will not dissappear bcoz of oversupply in one category of ppty, ppl will avoid the oversupply and seek for investable ppty asset in the region. 5 years from now you will see 2 speed ppty market, one is gloomy, the other is booming.
I tend to believe the last one although nobody knows. 5 years is too short, not for Medini definitely.

Yes, once many of the condos in Medini are completed by 2017/18, and investors find they cannot rent out, cannot resell in the market, many could slash prices and run. That's when you might want to get in.

But to be safe, from an investor's point of view, I find all these Medini properties are better to buy for your own stay. This kind of uncertain time line, long waiting time for place to develop, plus other uncertainties make the investment rough and risky.
Hypothetical question: if HSR and shuttle btw sg and iskandar puteri terminal being built right in the middle of medini, will you change your view? What event that happen can change your view? It will be better to teach ppl to think rather than purely bashing.

smallestdog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Curious to ask you, do you regret buying the small unit? How much you spend overall and psf? Since when you bought it and why you bought it, got self analyse or just receiving all the good news only back then? Please share with us your experience, is a good life lesson for investors and fellow forummers here.

Didn't realise someone asked me a question here. Well, so here are my answers :

Do I regret buying the place ? Of course I would be lying if I said if the thought never crossed my mind in the last 2 years, especially with so much negative sentiment swirling around Medini and Malaysian investments in general. Even in 2012 when I bought the place, my JB colleagues kept pouring cold water on property purchases in Malaysia, esp Johor itself. To them, only properties in KL were worth looking at.

That said, investment was not foremost on my mind when I bought the place. I was also looking for somewhere nearby to use for weekend getaways and maybe spend more time there after retirement. Definitely, it is nice to own a weekend home knowing that the value has gone up and that you can cash out anytime, but since this is clearly not the case for Medini, no point moaning over what it could have been, I will just focus on how I can enjoy the place at my own pace without feeling that I must spend every weekend there to make it justifiable.

How much did I spend on it ? Well I bought in 2012 when prices were starting to climb, so paid around RM500psf. Total price in SGD less than $150k since the RM kept falling before TOP and final payment. On the advice of a Malaysian lawyer acquaintance, I took a full offset mortgage instead of paying in full, and maintain an amount equivalent to the mortgage with the bank, so every month just pay the principal with no interest charges.

So....thats my story, not sure if its really much of a life lesson to others here.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Demand will not dissappear bcoz of oversupply in one category of ppty, ppl will avoid the oversupply and seek for investable ppty asset in the region. 5 years from now you will see 2 speed ppty market, one is gloomy, the other is booming.

Hypothetical question: if HSR and shuttle btw sg and iskandar puteri terminal being built right in the middle of medini, will you change your view? What event that happen can change your view? It will be better to teach ppl to think rather than purely bashing.

Why don't you ask what if Malaysia becomes 1st world, or if Temasek buys over the whole of Iskandar? How would anybody think? Or better still, what if you have US$1billion, which properties will you buy?

Am I paid and supposed to give lessons on investing? No.

In fact, what I have commented so far is based on my learning from investors, experience, research and reading. I'm not even bashing but stating truths.

Those who are reading it for free and can get relevant advice to help them, they should count themselves lucky.

This is the Internet. If you think what you are reading is not useful, then don't take it. So simple. Nobody owes anyone an explanation. You can't please everyone, neither can you agree with all.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Didn't realise someone asked me a question here. Well, so here are my answers :

Do I regret buying the place ? Of course I would be lying if I said if the thought never crossed my mind in the last 2 years, especially with so much negative sentiment swirling around Medini and Malaysian investments in general. Even in 2012 when I bought the place, my JB colleagues kept pouring cold water on property purchases in Malaysia, esp Johor itself. To them, only properties in KL were worth looking at.

That said, investment was not foremost on my mind when I bought the place. I was also looking for somewhere nearby to use for weekend getaways and maybe spend more time there after retirement. Definitely, it is nice to own a weekend home knowing that the value has gone up and that you can cash out anytime, but since this is clearly not the case for Medini, no point moaning over what it could have been, I will just focus on how I can enjoy the place at my own pace without feeling that I must spend every weekend there to make it justifiable.

How much did I spend on it ? Well I bought in 2012 when prices were starting to climb, so paid around RM500psf. Total price in SGD less than $150k since the RM kept falling before TOP and final payment. On the advice of a Malaysian lawyer acquaintance, I took a full offset mortgage instead of paying in full, and maintain an amount equivalent to the mortgage with the bank, so every month just pay the principal with no interest charges.

So....thats my story, not sure if its really much of a life lesson to others here.

So long as you have bought a unit that your really like, that would still be a good buy, in my opinion. It is good that you were able to pay off principal with no interest charge. I wish I can do that too. Hopefully in a few years time I can squeeze out a little bit of money here and there and put into the MY current account which is linked to housing loan, in order to save on interest.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
So long as you have bought a unit that your really like, that would still be a good buy, in my opinion. It is good that you were able to pay off principal with no interest charge. I wish I can do that too. Hopefully in a few years time I can squeeze out a little bit of money here and there and put into the MY current account which is linked to housing loan, in order to save on interest.
Sikit sikit, lama lama jadi bukit.(Little by little, it will become a hill.)

enjoylife77

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why don't you ask what if Malaysia becomes 1st world, or if Temasek buys over the whole of Iskandar? How would anybody think? Or better still, what if you have US$1billion, which properties will you buy?

Am I paid and supposed to give lessons on investing? No.

In fact, what I have commented so far is based on my learning from investors, experience, research and reading. I'm not even bashing but stating truths.

Those who are reading it for free and can get relevant advice to help them, they should count themselves lucky.

This is the Internet. If you think what you are reading is not useful, then don't take it. So simple. Nobody owes anyone an explanation. You can't please everyone, neither can you agree with all.
I learnt a lot from your posts and as a visitor to JB and beyond, I do agreed with your observation. It is generous of you to give direct warning to those who has not taken the plunge till now and save them the ordeal in their twilight years. For those wanting a passive income via rental, one can always buy into our SGX Reit. In my opinion it is safer and more straight forward. For those wanting to have an luxury accommodation but got priced out of expensive Sg, I suggest waiting for completed development near the Causeway, 2nd Link or the future RTS. Looking at what's happening in Malaysia, is there any compelling reason to invest a large sum of money there? Be open to renting to eliminate ownership risk.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I learnt a lot from your posts and as a visitor to JB and beyond, I do agreed with your observation. It is generous of you to give direct warning to those who has not taken the plunge till now and save them the ordeal in their twilight years. For those wanting a passive income via rental, one can always buy into our SGX Reit. In my opinion it is safer and more straight forward. For those wanting to have an luxury accommodation but got priced out of expensive Sg, I suggest waiting for completed development near the Causeway, 2nd Link or the future RTS. Looking at what's happening in Malaysia, is there any compelling reason to invest a large sum of money there? Be open to renting to eliminate ownership risk.

Thank you for your appreciation. Nice to hear that. You're probably one of the rare few who can understand the situation.

Unfortunately, this is a forum about Johor so I do understand "birds of a feather flock together". It'll be easier to discuss investing with more academic and practical sense if this had been a general forum.

But I do also know that not all buy Johor properties for investment. The richer ones got extra cash so they buy without so much care whether it's lose or win money. As always, the money belongs to the individuals. They can buy anything as long as it pleases them.

However, there are those not so rich ones who constantly delude themselves from the facts out there. Sure you can do that, as long as you know the risks you're taking. Just like I can plunge $5k on a 4D number. Someone actually struck big money on a 1st prize doing that before! But would you do the same?

Being stuck with a S$250k Johor property as a foreigner and use it as a "holiday home"....I'm not sure about that. Maybe I'm missing something here. Some say "as long as you like it, it's ok" or "I will use Johor as a base and can drive to Malacca or around Msia". Isn't SG close enough to do that? Why shift your base to Johor and restrict your sights to only that region?

My colleague and his family will be going for a vacation in Tokyo Disneyland, Mount Fuji, etc end of this year. Total price of tour: 2 adults, 2 kids, S$8k only. I might go to Europe or Australia myself for a nice break. In comparison, you plunge your S$250k to buy an Iskandar condo that you visit once a week or month (because you now realize you can't get rental or sell it off), then buy a full year Legoland pass to visit it repeatedly with your family? Which option do you prefer?

Disclaimer: As always, I say it's your life, your money, you decide. Take what you think makes sense. But if anyone doesn't agree, simply walk away.

Ok I better stop here!

rotikok

Alfrescian
Loyal

Be cool, brother. What you need to know in life is that, there are many uncertainty in life, more so in investment. All the while you are sibeh dead sure medini is a dead town in making, like totally 0% chance it will have opportunity. What if an investor, no brain cant think, read your comment, afraid kiasi and cut big lost...end up years later medini price dint drop and sentiment back... or it starting to populated?? Are you held responsiblity for your one sided, sibeh sure comment on medini? Of course this is a free forum, leaving comment is carefree de...i can even say i got 1 billion... but then at least be more responsible to give neutral comment.

Advise those who get in, regret and want to get out, tell them that "you think it is a right choice but what if.....; what if..... then thing may go the other direction..." isnt that much more pleasant to read and actively intrigue buyers to think more deeply, at the same time your role will be more neutral to give your one sided view but at the same time admit you might be wrong. Same thing goes with singapore ppty market, you might be wrong too. Just because the land is limited, population is increasing, doesnt mean it will necessary 100% goes the way you think it will go. Especially in investment world, the more common logic is accepted by people, the higher chance of it will be wrong. Why? when everyone knew a fact, the market already factor it in, so everyone expecting something to happen, will not happen, and everyone will be wrong.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looking good?

Meridin%20aerial_zpscrh4ngnj.jpg

rotikok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looking good?

[/IMG]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d58/ChanDavid/Meridin%20aerial_zpscrh4ngnj.jpg[/IMG]

Not bad, see this shenzhen pic. Nothing to worry about a big chunk of vacant land , no population growth is the thing you need to be alerted of, still too early to pronounce the area death. [/IMG]http://www.wine-world.com/UserFiles/images/2014/penny/05-cities-141229.jpg[/IMG]

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
At least there are people who cares about medini enough to organize community activities.

http://www.thestar.com.my/metro/com...-of-activities-in-store-for-the-public-at-me/

Can understand if they hold it in JB like City Sq to attract the crowd. But Mall of Medini is rather deserted and quiet. Got people go there meh? Maybe visitors who happen to be visiting Legoland.

The article mentioned Medini as the CBD of Iskandar Puteri. I'm still a bit puzzled about the term "CBD".

I usually have the impression that CBD is situated in a large, densely populated city, such as New York, Tokyo, Sydney, KL, Raffles Place in SG, etc where there are many tall skyscrapers and financial centres all congregating at one area. But I don't see any such buildings or plans coming up in Medini?

Last edited: