• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Useless 29 yo abused intern had wanted to suffer in silence

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Intern abused by boss planned to keep quiet about beatings

intern.jpg

Stomp
Sunday, May 26, 2013

SINGAPORE - The 29-year-old intern abused by his boss at a sofware company, Mr Alan Lee, may fear his temper and violent behaviour but he also commanded admiration in certain aspects from him.

Mr Lee was thrusted into the media spotlight after a video of him repeatedly striking the 29-year-old on his head went viral when a fellow intern recorded the incident and uploaded it online.

Speaking in an interview with Chinese newspaper Lianhe Wanbao, the intern said that while he respected Mr Lee's professionalism, knowledge and skills, his boss had a mean streak about him.

"At first, I thought he was an ok person. But later, I realised he would be easily agitated whenever I did something wrong."

Mr Lee had layed his hands on his 29-year-old subordinate several times -- he was slapped seven times and punched once -- throughout his 2 1/2 stint as an IT consultant with Encore eServices.

According to the intern, the flashpoint caught on camera was ignited after Mr Lee asked him why he did not report a problem with a client to him.

He tried to think of an answer to reply Mr Lee and when the question was repeated, he replied that he had forgotten about it.

That response seemed to agitate the boss, who raised his voice and struck the intern. He struck again after the 29-year-old remained silent.

When the intern's parents confronted Mr Lee about this, he justified his actions as a form of 'teaching' as he treated the intern "like a little brother".

He also apologised profusely to the parents but they were unmoved and told him that they were going to lodge a complaint to the Ministry of Manpower and file a civil suit against him.

Throughout his stint at the company, the intern opted to keep mum about the beatings as he didn't want to drag Mr Lee's family into this.

What he could not describe in words back then, he did it in drawing as he showed off a caricature of Mr Lee depicted as a fear-inducing man in a tiger's skin while handcuffed to an iron ball.

He has since tendered his resignation from the company through email, and has received a few job offers, including one which pays $3,000 -- a far cry from the $500 allowance he was given a month despite clocking up 12-hours shift daily.

He told the newspaper that he plans to move on from this incident, and thanked readers for their concern through a letter.

"Through this incident, I have understood the importance of the rights I enjoy as an employee", he wrote.

Visit STOMP for more stories.

Last edited:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Through this incident, I have understood the importance of the rights I enjoy as an employee", he wrote.

It's apparent dumb sinkies don't know their own rights. Only when other people start voicing out, then they suddenly gain enlightenment and start demanding justice to be served when the damage has already been done.

Not only this abuse case, you can also see it from sinkies' reaction to Pap's recent bad policies.

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sinkies do not know their rights and they get screwed by the govt repeatedly .. is that stupid or what.

This episode can be magnified to the whole country. intern = sinkie population. Low life Alan = PAP

Sinkie ass pain or not.

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sinkies do not know their rights and they get screwed by the govt repeatedly .. is that stupid or what.

This episode can be magnified to the whole country. intern = sinkie population. Low life Alan = PAP

Sinkie ass pain or not.

This one I wholeheartedly support you, and you hit the nail on the head & they must be vegetarians too...fond of sucking 'cucumbers'. :biggrin:

Last edited:

andyfisher

Alfrescian
Loyal
tonychat, I agree with what you say

but I also think this intern got some mental problems.
perhaps best if he go see a shrink.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
tonychat, I agree with what you say

but I also think this intern got some mental problems.
perhaps best if he go see a shrink.

This one the product of the 60% castrated population, certainly not the 40%...not mental, the mentality is wrong & to them that is normal. Voiceless, toothless & ball less, this the generation that serve N.S. & then reservist...oh my goose, how to defend the country?? This is only one,,multiply by the thousands, the product of PxP meddling...the country had gone to the dogs..

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I have to say that this case epitomises the state that Singapore has ended up in and it's hard to blame the government in any way or form. Ask yourself how the government can ever be blamed if someone who is a graduate is content to work as an intern for years on end at way below market salary!!! You have to question the quality of the gene pool. There is no other explanation.

What we have is a Sinkie employee that's a wimp and a Sinkie employer that's a bully. This scenario is played out many times over all over the Island on a daily basis. The only difference is the bullying in this case is physical and could therefore be captured on video and the employee just has to be meekest of all the wimps I have ever come across for taking it lying down for so many years.

Would scenarios like this be a thing of the past if the PAP was ousted? Would workplace abuse like this disappear if all FTs were deported? Don't hold your breath. :rolleyes:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Are you saying SAM that, we can't blame the chicken that laid the egg, that beget a wimpy chicken. What? nature or nurture? The PAP government have a part to play in this, though, we can not blame everything on them, but they have in the last 5 decades nurtured a nation of 'WIMPS".

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't blame the FT for taking over our jobs, a 29 year old graduate who would tolerate such abusive behavior for so many years don't deserve any sympathy. If he is a product of our "world class " education system then I am very worried for the next generations. No army is strong enough to protect them

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is the nature of sinkees ...to be 'slapped' and 'kicked' and take it in good stride. That's why the PAP is still in power.

When the PAP get tossed out, then sinkees have changed.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Are you saying SAM that, we can't blame the chicken that laid the egg, that beget a wimpy chicken. What? nature or nurture? The PAP government have a part to play in this, though, we can not blame everything on them, but they have in the last 5 decades nurtured a nation of 'WIMPS".

If the PAP is to faulted in any way, it is that they spoiled Singaporeans for far too long from the early 70s to the mid 90s. Everything was far too easy during this period. Even wimps were paid well just for showing up to work on time. I know because I lived through it. Had I not challenged myself, I would have ended up quiet, content and underpaid too.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
It is the nature of sinkees ...to be 'slapped' and 'kicked' and take it in good stride. That's why the PAP is still in power.

When the PAP get tossed out, then sinkees have changed.

BTW I have to take this opportunity to commend this "Alan" character for having the ingenuity to work the system to his advantage brilliantly. We used interns too but they were short term stints of a couple of months at most. I did not realise that it could be extended for years at the rate of $500 a month or I would have done the same myself when I was an employer in Singapore.

In exploiting this loophole, he has been able to keep his manpower overheads very low with obvious benefits to the bottom line.

I don't condone his physical abuse which has pretty much destroyed his current enterprise. However, as an entrepreneur, he's a notch above the rest. He got away with paying 3rd world labour rates without having to move his operations to a 3rd world.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If the PAP is to faulted in any way, it is that they spoiled Singaporeans for far too long from the early 70s to the mid 90s. Everything was far too easy during this period. Even wimps were paid well just for showing up to work on time. I know because I lived through it. Had I not challenged myself, I would have ended up quiet, content and underpaid too.

This have to agree with you, but we have generations of people from the 80's I would say grew up WIMPS. But like I had said, it is the 'farm owners', who nutured those 'chickens' that laid those 'eggs' that begets, generation of 'chicks' that became wimps...this is nature & nurture. Now the 'owners' wanting to rid the 'farm'; of 'genetically defective chickens' bred over decades by introducing 'foreign varieties' into the 'farm'. Now the original not crispy 'chickens' are perking up a little, for their 'world' is being threatened.

How not blame the PAP...the individual doesn't want to challenge themselves?? I could gone down that road too..don't get me wrong, I love the PAP too much...that I am dying! (:-

Last edited:

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is a VERY complex issue and I'm surprised you guys just blindly jump in to comment, all with your own self-serving hidden agenda.

To cut the long story short, the intern's parents are not blameless. People marry, they also want to marry. People have children, they also want to have children. But they're not able to bring up the child in an environment where he can excel. The family is dysfunctional, that's why the intern is so easily makan by others. The parents must have advised their son that economy is bad and to keep the job at all costs. The intern is hopeless. That, I agree, is the gene pool.

Then, Alan Lee is incorrugible, but this is true for most employers out to fleece their employees, but he crossed the line to physically abuse the intern. He should be made infamous so that his company will lose its customers and go bankrupt because the police will not do anything, MOM will not do anything and the NTUC union will not do anything.

Parliament will not debate this issue, as I've called for it, because if any one of these chobolans in parliament will dig deeper, this case is not a 50 year occurence, but many employees are underpaid and bullied, spending long hours without over-time pay, which is already against the Employment Act, because any one paid below $1,200 (from what I recall) must be paid over-time and given transport allowance, as gazatted in the Employment Act. But MOM will obviously turn a blind-eye and parliament will not bring up this issue because parliament is chobolan.

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The intern is an idiot,,he is weak and deserved to be screwed by the employer. It seems he was very happy to be abused both physically and mentally. I cant believe he now has job offers with higher pay and so on. I for one will not hire such a weakling. He is obviously not of sound mind.

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm pretty certain Alan Lee had committed an offence under the Employment Act, especially with regards to overtime pay and over-working the employee during the wimp's 2.5 years at Encore eService.

But like I said, it's happening across the work-force. So, it's an issue Parliament should take it up and make a determination of whether enforcement is lax or how the system had broken down. But as usual, these chobolans in parliament bring their pillow there and parliament is but a training ground for opera aspirants.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/employment-pr...hours-of-work-and-overtime/Pages/default.aspx
BeqaNEL.png

geylangchickenloyangduck

Alfrescian
Loyal
nah beh...why you guys so mean....this intern is enjoying being slapped around...if he had not such job, he would be in a SM club playing the role of slave. He found one in his job, and he got paid for it.

SM culture not popular yet here ...everyone doing it underground. Just go Geylang n see if you can get away with slapping a chicken repeatedly....

let them enjoy this relationship lah...of cse, it will be better if its between a gal n guy....2 guys...well...

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why the hoo haa over a wimp who is an exception rather than a norm?

You think kids nowadays will let you 'bully' them? You can tell them off and the next thing you know, they will be on MC the following day or will just quit. I was a manager myself and you can ask any managers here, who will probably give you the same answer.