• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Schools in Iskandar

nusaduta

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mummymoo, MC is going for IB Diploma program next year, i think they are doing the certification this year. Kids will do IGCSE at Year 11 and then IB Diploma at Year 13.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone knows about Austin Heights international school? It is right outside my place at Austin Heights. Tempted to put my children there to save them the hassle of commute but spouse thinks singapore education still better which I don't think it is necessarily so except that it is cheaper. Is it easy to get them into singapore uni if they study in international schools here? Does anyone know?

Mummymoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone knows about Austin Heights international school? It is right outside my place at Austin Heights. Tempted to put my children there to save them the hassle of commute but spouse thinks singapore education still better which I don't think it is necessarily so except that it is cheaper. Is it easy to get them into singapore uni if they study in international schools here? Does anyone know?

Hi - I was there for their open house a couple of months back. They have very good facilities - the school campus is new and they have their own Olympic size pool. I didn't get to interact with their teachers or students so can't really tell what they are like. I know they use the IGCSE curriculum which is an international schools' version of the GCE exams. From what I know, IGCSE is globally recognised and since our local unis are taking in students from all over the world (some of whom are getting their education paid for by you and I) I would think they would accept but better to check these out yourself.

I always smile when I hear people say Singapore's education system is "better" or "the best"...my rationale is children have different learning styles and one-size cannot fit all. If our education system is "better" or "the best", the results are not showing it. I have seen too many times our local grads being out-talked and out-witted by foreign "talents" in the corporate world. And if our education system is "better" or "the best" why are we not producing global enterprenuers or have Singaporeans coming out wiith meaningful inventions or leading big corporations?

OK, I'm getting off my soap box now.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi - I was there for their open house a couple of months back. They have very good facilities - the school campus is new and they have their own Olympic size pool. I didn't get to interact with their teachers or students so can't really tell what they are like. I know they use the IGCSE curriculum which is an international schools' version of the GCE exams. From what I know, IGCSE is globally recognised and since our local unis are taking in students from all over the world (some of whom are getting their education paid for by you and I) I would think they would accept but better to check these out yourself.

I always smile when I hear people say Singapore's education system is "better" or "the best"...my rationale is children have different learning styles and one-size cannot fit all. If our education system is "better" or "the best", the results are not showing it. I have seen too many times our local grads being out-talked and out-witted by foreign "talents" in the corporate world. And if our education system is "better" or "the best" why are we not producing global enterprenuers or have Singaporeans coming out wiith meaningful inventions or leading big corporations?

Thanks for your info. Will seriously think about putting them there should we move to live there to spare them the daily commute.

Fire3

Alfrescian
Loyal

Spore education system is too academically driven. If one were to choose an affordable international school with quality, go for one that either bundle the IGCSE with either IB or IPC in the primary and IB in the secondary. Excelsior - IB (Fairview is just so so for the price you pay though offering IB). Tenby @ Setia Eco Garden and Austin Height both offer IPC. Tenby is new though. From my observation, both IB and IPC are equally good in equipping and expose one to the real world from young

rosnyus

Alfrescian
Loyal
malborough sounds good but at a cost of a least SGD$2K a month. arghh the amount of money we would like to invest on our kids...

Daydreamer

Alfrescian
Loyal
malborough sounds good but at a cost of a least SGD$2K a month. arghh the amount of money we would like to invest on our kids...

My siblings and me self don't have that opportunity when we were young. Its worth every penny of it to put some effort on their education.

I don't really want to see more robot coming out at the end of line again.

Mummymoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
If anyone is interested in ballet lessons for their kids, I went to visit Ritzy Ballet at Setia Tropika (near to Old Town Cafe). Was so-so with the studio although they take security very seriously. They are on the third floor of a shop house and you had to go through two auto-locked gates before you got to their studio. Enthusiastic teacher and principal - which is a big plus for me. If anyone has other suggestion for a good ballet school, let me know pls? Thanks.

nusaduta

Alfrescian
Loyal
A JB friend recommended chilet ballet academy in nusa bestari. But she also mentioned JB ballet academy is longer established however, it's all the way to town near pelangi. I've yet to visit them personally but chance is I will put my girls in Nusa bestari to save them the hassle of commuting. Btw they offer RAD ballet exams.

I m still looking for dedicated piano teachers for my kids. I've an excellent piano teacher here and she is teaching for passion, not money cos the money we pay her is little compared to others. Hard to come by but I m hopeful to find in JB and if there are good recommendations, pls share.

If anyone is interested in ballet lessons for their kids, I went to visit Ritzy Ballet at Setia Tropika (near to Old Town Cafe). Was so-so with the studio although they take security very seriously. They are on the third floor of a shop house and you had to go through two auto-locked gates before you got to their studio. Enthusiastic teacher and principal - which is a big plus for me. If anyone has other suggestion for a good ballet school, let me know pls? Thanks.

ybdvf

hi there,

just joined the forum. we might be moving to setia tropika end of the year, if our house deal falls through. looking for a school for my kiddo. so far i've been to sri ara, tenby, seri omega and fairview. i have to admit i really liked fairview but still keeping my options open. planning to visit austin heights and r.e.a.l. the next time i make a trip to johor.

ybdvf

i have a question for mummymoo!

have you moved to johor yet? and has your kid started school in fairview? would love to hear how you find the school now?

Mummymoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
A JB friend recommended chilet ballet academy in nusa bestari. But she also mentioned JB ballet academy is longer established however, it's all the way to town near pelangi. I've yet to visit them personally but chance is I will put my girls in Nusa bestari to save them the hassle of commuting. Btw they offer RAD ballet exams.

I m still looking for dedicated piano teachers for my kids. I've an excellent piano teacher here and she is teaching for passion, not money cos the money we pay her is little compared to others. Hard to come by but I m hopeful to find in JB and if there are good recommendations, pls share.

I think I might just put my daughter in Ritzy Ballet only because it is like 10mins away from our (future) home. It'll take us 20-30mins to get to Nusa Bestari. All the best with your piano teacher search.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.brainybunch.com/enrolment/find-a-school

Brainy Bunch Bandar Baru Uda (new)
No. 37-1&37-2, Jalan Padi Emas 1/3, Bandar Baru Uda, 81200 Johor
019-268 9114
Brainy Bunch Bandar Dato' Onn (new)
No. 56&58, Jalan Perjiranan 2, Bandar Dato' Onn, Johor
019-268 5195
Brainy Bunch Seri Alam (new)
No 16-1&18-1, Jalan Lembah 19, Bandar Seri Alam, Masai, Johor
019-268 9092

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for your info. Will seriously think about putting them there should we move to live there to spare them the daily commute.

Does anyone know of international schools that has CHINESE as a subject in primary school? Austin Heights international school does not seem to have. Or how else can I let my child learn chinese and take a primary school exam for it separately?

Hoping we can retire in jb in 3 years time with passive income from our paid up terrace in Singapore. Kids will be 8 and 12 years then.

29ers

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just Sharing...

Over the weekend my family went over to Fairview Int to check out the school.
Some of the comments from other family members... literally.

Wah the building so old
So "LOK"

Yes the building looks old..it cannot compare with SG Schools with nice facade...so the building factor is something i wouldn't want to consider. Other then that I am ok with the school. The school at most grades usually only have 1 class per grade. They Do have Chinese as 2nd Language. I believe if your child is a Malaysian...you would need to take Malay as 2nd Language. As for school fees, its as per website....per annum just multiply by 2...as 2 term per year.

Overall i am quite happy with it....the school got this kampong feel to it. At the end of the road we just need the O level Cert...and is from Cambridge so this is all that matters to me. I can't guarantee that this is the right school...my only believe is that schools teach children the right thing....if they even have time to teach. So this is a potential candidate for my kids this year.

And for those of ppl who are interested in the facade of schools or that teachers must be foreigners.....just to give you some insights....i was from an international school in KL....when i stopped schooling there go come SG...I as a KID, was very impressed with the school building, it looked really well built. Also i don't recall how many of my teachers were expat or foreigner..i remember mostly the Malay Indian teachers...all were locall. BTW this was quite a top end school back then and is still quite a reputable school. Unfortunately I cannot afford the school fees they are asking for.

Just Sharing.
Cheers

Does anyone know of international schools that has CHINESE as a subject in primary school? Austin Heights international school does not seem to have. Or how else can I let my child learn chinese and take a primary school exam for it separately?

Hoping we can retire in jb in 3 years time with passive income from our paid up terrace in Singapore. Kids will be 8 and 12 years then.