• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Daft Singaporeans - 12,000 in Istana vs 5,000 in Hong Lim Park

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
pic12.jpg

There was less publicity about Istana open house both in the mainmedia and also the internet but more than doubled went for the former. This is still roughly the same percentage that we had for the GE (60/40). After so many noise, anger, protest, there are still more support for the MIW. What happened?
Why did the number dwindle?
Is it because of Nizam or Vincent Wijeysingha who pulled out the last minute?
Is it because SDP was involved or was it just that Singaporean dun care about it until it hurts them personally?
Is Gilbert's plan to have it twice a year an overkill? The number in Hong Lim was much lesser than the first.
Or has Gilbert simply lost it?

We need to find out so that next one will be better.

SINGAPORE - Two months after a protest against the controversial Population White Paper, a second protest rally at Hong Lim park drew a similarly packed crowd.

Speakers, who this time included many ordinary Singaporeans, did not just air grievances over the population size and foreigners, but touched on a wider range of issues, relating to wages, workers' rights, support for single mothers, and language.

Rally organiser Gilbert Goh estimated that between 5,000 and 6,000 people attended the event. AFP meanwhile put the crowd size at around 3,000.

At the start of the rally, he asked people to take out their Identity Cards and wave it in the air to show they were either Singapore citizens or Permanent Residents.

Foreigners were discouraged from attending the protest, because the National Parks Board - which manages Speakers' Corner - had notified Mr Goh that he would need to apply for a police permit if foreigners were participating.

Among the other speakers were former president of the Society of Financial Service Professionals Leong Sze Hian, lawyer M Ravi, social worker Jolovan Wham of the Humanitarian Organisation for Migrant Economic, and former presidential candidate Tan Jee Say, as well as a single mother, a retiree and a cab driver.

The embattled former Association of Muslim Professionals (AMP) board director Nizam Ismail also made a surprise appearance at the rally, after saying earlier that he was pulling out as a speaker as a personal protest against allegations that he was pursuing race-based politics and using AMP for self promotion.

He appeared halfway through the rally with his wife and child, and told reporters that he was attending "to show support for fellow Singaporeans".

Istana Open House draws big crowd, SSO performs at event for the first time

Over 11,800 people turned up at the Istana Open House on Wednesday, as the Singapore Symphony Orchestra (SSO) performed at the event.

Last edited:

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
People go River Safari to see Panda... Go Istana to see President... Go Hong Lim to see what?

12k... Must give some discount as half the number are performers, volunteers, security officers and tourists...

giggity_shit

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can of course blame SDP for 'tainting' the event. But i think its becuase GG failed on his promise to make it less political.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
12k people is sup sup sui for the pappies... they can easily activate the PA/RC brigades, especially on a public holiday.

@rmadill0

Alfrescian
Loyal
People go River Safari to see Panda... Go Istana to see President... Go Hong Lim to see what?

12k... Must give some discount as half the number are performers, volunteers, security officers and tourists...

There are PAPies spies at Hong Lim I am sure. :smile:

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can of course blame SDP for 'tainting' the event. But i think its becuase GG failed on his promise to make it less political.

5K crowd not bad. i thought only 1-2K would bother to attend it. some people might want the event to be less political but it was inevitable that the event will attract the 25% hardcore oppo supporters who will go there to protest against the PAP regime.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
pic12.jpg

There was less publicity about Istana open house both in the mainmedia and also the internet but more than doubled went for the former. .

Foreigners are not allowed in Hong Lim Park but they are welcomed to Istana.

groinroot

Alfrescian
Loyal
Foreigners are not allowed in Hong Lim Park but they are welcomed to Istana.

Correct. About 70% of the crowd at Istana were foreigners. Many locals were not at HLP as the Meteorological Department's forecast for the day predicted rain in the afternoon and evening; the skies were also overcast in many parts of Singapore. Furthermore, there was live streaming albeit poor.

PUNISHER

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Ppl who go istana might not be Singapore . I believe alot of FT or tourist there .

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ppl who go istana might not be Singapore . I believe alot of FT or tourist there .

Agreed, I would say at least 50% are foreigners or tourists (each paying $1 for the 'privilege' of visiting the Istana).

Why would Sinkies want to go there every public holiday?

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bo pian, they are the future of Singapore, we are not.

Should tell the tourist that they are wasting time on our 35% mandate president whose son didn't quite commit to serving NS. Should have a signboard erected in front of Istana giving such informations so that foreigners can understand the uniqueness of this current president.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Rally organiser Gilbert Goh estimated that between 5,000 and 6,000 people attended the event. AFP meanwhile put the crowd size at around 3,000.

At the start of the rally, he asked people to take out their Identity Cards and wave it in the air to show they were either Singapore citizens or Permanent Residents.

This is a silly suggestion by Gilbert..

Why must include PRs in the rally?

We all know many of these PRs are just here to make money and fuck off after few years..

Last edited:

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
This must be the weirdest labour Day rally i have ever seen and heard about. Whatever the message was supposed to be it got totally lost. 'Discouraging' foreigners to attend and asking thousands to show their identity cards :confused::*: :p What a comical mess!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hong Lim attracted all the patriots!
Istana attract only simple straightforward TRAITORS!

Years ago, happen to go down to Plaza Singapura, met one of my neighborhood "porlumpar" chappie, with his all white & party logo standing in the long queue to see Prataman on May 01...exchange some polite greetings..in my mind "wtf, can be bothered"..fast forward 2013..please don't ask him, who be voted for...ha ha ha somewhere down the years...his love affair with the all white turned sour...:biggrin:

Last edited: