• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The RETIREMENT thread

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Some need you to give them a $ headstart $ in life, eg Putting a deposit for their first property.

That's a silly thing to do for your kid. Kids must learn self reliance and to cope without help from parents the moment they reach age 18.

Our boys take up arms at 18, so they do not need to be pampered and protected any longer.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... For example, recently I travelled to the beautiful and exotic kingdom of Jeram. At their night bazaar, I managed to get an antique nail clipper that was exquisitely crafted.:o:rolleyes:

Incidentally, the kingdom is ruled by a lord by the name of Atlixco.:o:rolleyes:
ze clipper from jeram is not famous n fast ... neither is lord atlixco big n ready ...

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ze clipper from jeram is not famous n fast ... neither is lord atlixco big n ready ...

Lord Atlixco was a tad downcasted due to the nail clipper being broken.

But all of a sudden, there was a sudden flash of lightning and ..VOLPISTA !!!!, he finally saw the light !:o:rolleyes:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are couple of things that I would to add to this debate and these are around traits amongst Singaporeans.

1. High rate of savings. Lots of people have sizeable deposits. Not doing anything to build on it.

2. People staying in houses with no intention of upgrading. Land and houses are known for their ratchet effect. It goes one way - up with the occasional blips.

3. Playing the stock market and thinking that it is investment tool. Equities is a fantastic and proven tool in the investment space. Speculation in it is for the disciplined and the informed. Believe me the informed has the inside track.

4. Working overseas and failing to factor in rising costs in Singapore and returning home to find out that they no longer can afford to live in Singapore. The irony is working in the US for the last 10 years and returning home to find out you have been priced out.

5. Failing to invest in their career.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
The thing about retirement (if I go by Sam's def!) is that if we r still working at say 60 in a job u r comfortable with... U r already retired or semi retired. The question of saving for retirement becomes moot. U would prob want to spend rather than save...unless u want to leave more for your kids. Lets gets over this psychological line called retirement and change our mindset. In this context, of course I or anyone else wouldn't mind doing this well into our 70s!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The thing about retirement (if I go by Sam's def!) is that if we r still working at say 60 in a job u r comfortable with... U r already retired or semi retired. The question of saving for retirement becomes moot. U would prob want to spend rather than save...unless u want to leave more for your kids. Lets gets over this psychological line called retirement and change our mindset. In this context, of course I or anyone else wouldn't mind doing this well into our 70s!

As long as you're an employee, you're bound by the rules and regulations set by your employer regardless of your age. You may be comfortable in your job but you've sacrificed your freedom.

I do not recommend working for someone else beyond the age of 35. It ties you down and limits your options.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I also never plan on retiring. But you have to be your own boss.

Never allow yourself to stagnate or be cut off from the social world.

iamfree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nice to see a retirement thread.

I retired 3 years ago at a age of 47. I did not come from a rich family and had to depend on my career to fund my retirement dream. Lots of hard work with some luck thrown in. I had a good career, and so no regrets there. I just got tired of living my life according to others' agenda.

Best thing about retirement? For me, is the ability to do whatever you want, whenever you want.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

I retired 3 years ago at a age of 47. I did not come from a rich family and had to depend on my career to fund my retirement dream. Lots of hard work with some luck thrown in. I had a good career, and so no regrets there. I just got tired of living my life according to others' agenda.

Great to see another retiree who decided not to live his life according to the PAP script.

Did you plan to retire at the age that you did or did you just decide one day that you'd had enough, did your sums and discovered that you had enough to be financially independent?

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Best thing about retirement? For me, is the ability to do whatever you want, whenever you want.

Good for you and truly congratulations!! :smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
As long as you're an employee, you're bound by the rules and regulations set by your employer regardless of your age. You may be comfortable in your job but you've sacrificed your freedom.

I do not recommend working for someone else beyond the age of 35. It ties you down and limits your options.

Well put, i am 36 this year and seriously considering options as i have been approached by some folks for different business opportunities including properties, etc and of all things, a ferry service.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Well put, i am 36 this year and seriously considering options as i have been approached by some folks for different business opportunities including properties, etc and of all things, a ferry service.

Looks like you're on your way up in your business career too!

I think developing economy properties will be a great investment in the years ahead.

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Trust Sam on this rule.

You are selling the most important asset you have to your company regardless what your company does. How high your pay is.

TIME.

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For those who are retired, if you have the time, do a little volunteering work.

It will feels like joyful melody for your soul.:o

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
For those who are retired, if you have the time, do a little volunteering work.

It will feels like joyful melody for your soul.:o

I spent 18 months "helping the poor". Far from joyful melody, it made me realise that the poor deserved to be in the shit hole they dug for themselves.